The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Level-Load Love

[DE]Glen

Hehe, getting exciting over here. The defrag/opimization has taken a loooooong time now and I'm very curious to what the effect will be.

Oh! just done, gonna try it now :D

Will be back with results.

Initially the game booted up slower, the login took longer and my Warframe was the base Excalibur model insted of Nekros.

This doesn't matter tho, and I shall now test further.

Possible that the switching between menus are faster? Is this even something that would be affected?

1:st mission 45 seconds load.

28 seconds load on server transfer

*After the server transfer the energy carriers stopped spawning. Bug.

After some further testing I think this did pretty much nothing for me. How ever this computer is almost made of rocks and trees so it might not be something to "save".

Edited by Lactamid

Holy s$ Glen I don't know what you did but my wooden PC now take less than 10 seconds to load a mission and the lag after the intro cutscence has seen some pretty significant improvements.

Whatever kind of space magic you're working on seems to work well.

Edited by neoragdoll

Load times are great. But I get a freeze of about 5-10 seconds when it finishes loading and enters the level.

It used to just fade in normally.

So it's a great option, but it absolutely MURDERED my laptop. I was worried the thing was going to just give up and crash.

Anything you can do about that at all?

Maybe add something like AVG's scan speed options, where you have dynamic, basic etc.. I'd rather have a slower, less taxing defrag than a fast & more taxing one, but I know a lot of others won't feel the same way, so it's good to have that option.

Edited by AdunSaveMe

Sir you are a Hero! I can't believed the speed my laptop is now running, it slashed my loading time by 80%! and by far is the

greatest feature in this update for a laptop user such as myself!!!

I would give you +9000 but sadly i can only give one +1.

Thank you sir and have a nice day.

Edited by H.Katsura_999

Optimization to the game has helped with low end since U14. When I first started Warframe I used to be able to run all graphics on Medium (this was when Open Beta first started). I stopped playing on my laptop when I got my desktop and decent internet, so my next time playing it after U14 launched was... an experience. 25fps in the Liset. 15fps in missions. Turning all graphics to low didn't help.

14.5 finally brought the framerate to 30-60 variable, with only noticable chug when there were tons of Grineer fighting and dying on-screen on Phobos. So yeah, great work, Glen! You've made my vacation with laptop Warframe much less painful. (I admit, I'm spoiled by all those particle effects on my desktop.)

Just out of curiosity, I installed WF on a severely under-powered laptop (Acer AS1810 - ULV version) when I swapped the HDD for an SSD and installed everything anew anyway.

Of course the performance is really bad (only 2GB RAM, no GFX accel, etc.), and I switched off almost everything in the game to not be in "slide show mode". But I was very impressed to learn that WF was actually _playable_ (OK, with a little teeth-grinding, and I kept it a solo mission to not slow down anyone else). Even low graphics look surprisingly good. For a game of WF's complexity, this is very unusual.

Actually I wanted to wipe WF from the laptop (my real gaming rig is way better), but after your announcement I will wait until it's updated to 14.5 and tested before I do that. I should definitely notice any differences in caching strategy. :-)

Confirmed: With the slow single-core on this laptop, U14.5 feels very laggy, but it is actually so-so playable (at least in solo mode).

Pre-U14.5, there was a very noticable delay between trigger and a shot actually leaving the weapon, now only the sound effect is delayed.

A very impressive result! - Many thanks!!

(I'll still wipe WF from this slow laptop - it was an 'extreme' experiment, after all. And it surprised me a lot.)

This might be a stupid question to ask, but does having a good internet connection really make loading exponentially faster even at low end PCs? Or is It only a negligible one?

All things aside though, even though at the beginning of  U14 my gang and I had some problems, loading and gameplay now is really smooth, and lag seems greatly reduced even when in-game, and not just while the level is loading, I didn't really notice this until about almost an hour into the cryotic operation

Thx for the fixes!

This might be a stupid question to ask, but does having a good internet connection really make loading exponentially faster even at low end PCs? Or is It only a negligible one?

Not at all. Game sits on your HDD, it isn't stored somewhere in the cloud and downloaded on demand.

Definitely feel a massive boost in loading times. I load pretty much instantly now, though I still have to wait for other players loading bars to fill up. :)

I have some issue with pre loading thing if I undertood this...  before this change I was loading game fine , but now when I launch my void key's it take a while before I see the counter starting the count down

The counter delay sounds more like a connection issue.

hm, say, Glen, ever since a little bit after U14, and still currently, once my <1second load screen has finished, there seems to always be a one to two second freeze. game is fine from then on for the rest of the Mission.

it isn't the end of the world, but obviously shouldn't be happening.

if you're Solo, no, it won't make a difference. playing with other people though, yes. you either need to wait for Clients to get match data from you, or you get match data from the Host. everyone must wait for this process to be completed before the match can start. so while it doesn't actually make loading faster, it will make the loading screen shorter anyways. 

i use nvidias optimisation option from the nvidia-geforce expirience panel, does it work real or not ?

who use it and what youre expiriences on a laptop with ?

after getting answered this i will share a scary ongoing expirience with the warframe network since i started to play

i hope you can help me with that, glen =)

Like taiiat said,

Nvidia GeForce Experience only changes the settings from the game.

----

I didn't read everything, but if you seek to have more fps aswell for more stable fps.

you can use the NVidia control panel and manage the 3D settings from there.

NVidia Control Panel simply overrides the most settings if you manage the 3D by your own.

From the NVidia control panel, you can do the following things:

-Override Anisotropic filtering

-Enchance Antialiasing from the application itself

-Override Antialiasing transparency

-Select the GPUs to use

-Edit maximum pre-rendered frames ( the lower value in this setting is smoother gameplay at low fps )

-Edit power management mode

-Edit Texture filtering

-Edit Threaded optimization ( Same as Multi-threaded rendering )

-Enable or disable triple buffering ( No idea how to explain this one, but it only works with VSync )

-Override VSync

Note:   I skipped the setting " Multi-display/mixed-GPU acceleration " because this one mostly affects OpenGL only and Warframe don't use OpenGL

Editting this settings won't give you a ban I think, since there isn't a valid reason for a ban.

It might only give a more stable fps or more fps.

hm, say, Glen, ever since a little bit after U14, and still currently, once my <1second load screen has finished, there seems to always be a one to two second freeze. game is fine from then on for the rest of the Mission.

it isn't the end of the world, but obviously shouldn't be happening.

I am pretty sure I know what this is and it's on my list to improve.

I'd just like to point out that at about 80-90% of the way through the defrag, it started using all 8GB of my ram and completely locked up my computer for about 5 minutes. CPU usage was 1-2%. I've never seen anything use that much ram before, especially not a single program.

Start up and dojo load times are the same, haven't tried any missions yet, but I expect they're the same too.

Edited by Ailith

the GeForce Experience application 'optimization' only sets video settings in your games for you.

it doesn't do anything that you can't already do.

in other words, it's pretty much pointless for all but the most non tech savvy people.

i work since 30 years with computers, this should be the comment for your unprofessional comment, you didnt understand what i tried to mention

doesnt really matter, i will find out whats going on with the DE-pro's, thank you :-)

I'd just like to point out that at about 80-90% of the way through the defrag, it started using all 8GB of my ram and completely locked up my computer for about 5 minutes. CPU usage was 1-2%. I've never seen anything use that much ram before, especially not a single program.

Start up and dojo load times are the same, haven't tried any missions yet, but I expect they're the same too.

because the network-protocoll which is chosen uses your computer for all and everything and not the de-server ...

So I've read all the comment and no one seems to have thought about this, except the devs, obviously :D.

Can't you use the new method of loading all the assets at the start of a match only for clients that run on x86, so that their game won't crash ?

People who use the x64 client probably have 4 GB+ so the game should loads the assets as before. Fast and by the tons, so everything is already loaded and ready to go.

From 2 days ago, suddenly my launcher is taking 2-3 minutes to be able to launch Warframe, and the first splash loading screen took 2 minutes to go through. Was there some sort of small change that bogged down the load times?

(Previously the loading and splash screen only took seconds, as Glen/RedText promised.)

Edited by Mattac0n