Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why Does No One Ever Talk About The Glaive?

DSpite

TL;DR - Any DEV want to throw a comment out on the future of the existing - and possibly next gen - thrown weapon variety in the game?

---

Buff that Shotgun ... Nerf that Rifle ... I no longer care what they do to Glaives as long as they do something.

I mean, the poor thing is buggy as hell for starters. Some times you have to go back and find it (it gets a weird stuck mechanic), other times you're left Glaive-less and you can't even attack with normal guns. You throw Power Throw on it (pun intended), and suddenly you also have a weapon that if bounced just right - or just wrong, actually - explodes in your face when it returns, just as it reaches your hands.

Considering how much effort goes into using one effectively, with flight time factors, weird bouncing mechanics off surfaces, short flight range, rare specific mods that only drop in the void ... the list goes on, It would be a breeze of fresh air if the Glaives (and Kestrel maybe?) were given a look at, considering it's back story from Dark Sector.

I dunno. Considering how easy it can be to commit explosive suicide with the thing, I guess it would be nice to have it receive a second pass over, just to see if maybe something new could be squeezed out of the damn thing. I mean, if you don't put on Power Throw, there is no way in hell you will even get it to an enemy, considering it bounces off Frames, Sentinels, Kubrows, and the odd wondering moth on the way to a target.

Anyone else out there using the damn thing? I feel kind of alone ...

My guess would be that they probably want a melee weapon that is...  a melee weapon. That's why I don't use it; I already have both a primary and secondary ranged weapon, I don't need another one.

EDIT: The fact that it's one and only stance mod is a royal PITA to get a hold of probably doesn't help either. I can't even remember the last time I spotted a Leech Osprey...

Edited by Brimir

I would be using if I wasnt trying to max out Mk1 weapons... So painful trying to max them out.

I havent had issues with blowing myself up, but the glaive takes Dark Sector for practice before going master mode with it in Warframe. Its fun once you get the hang of it. You don't have to do the exploding thing either. Just run around beat people with it, and throw it at some enemy a distance away. You can still use guns, and if you have the right guns with you it shouldn't be an issue.

I actually enjoy the Kestrel a lot more; add punch through on that baby and you can go bowling, knocking over an entire group of enemies! Plus you can abuse the heck out of it to perma-ragdoll bosses.

Kestrel Prime would be sweet.

Edited by Brimir

There may be a new faction-based boomerang. wink-wink.

But I too would like to see the Glaive Prime especially get buffed and have more stance mods.

It's interesting that the Glaive is sort of the signature weapon of this mythos (Dark Sector) yet the Nikanas have received way more love...3 stances and ton of combos that are comparatively absent from other stances.

I asked Gefu and he did indeed say they are addressing this. When and how is TBD.

Glaive + Life Strike = Ranged Health Vampire.

Not to mention that it also heals your Kubrow (if you're one of those players)

Also, AoE explosion.

Also also, Gleaming Talon (I only have it because we got it for free) is on par with Burning Wasp/ Coiling Viper in terms of melee-with-large-range/radius combos. Often times with my Glaive prime, I can slaughter infested before they even get in melee range - and that's just using the glaive as a melee weapon.

Also also also, it's the best melee weapon for attacking short or tall targets.

I love it. The glaive family is my favorite weapon handle.

... because those in the know use the Kestral.

But seriously, if I'm not levelling something I'm using the Glaive or more often the Kestral.

I actually don't think they need a buff, but I would not moan if they got one.

Also, only ever use it with Power Throw, Quick Return, Whirlwind and Fury (+4 Damage mods) and throw it at floors or walls.

It's an AoE weapon you can use while reloading that has no ammo limit, what's not to like?

Edit: Oh, and quick melee only, Gleaming Talon is just for mod points as far as I'm concerned :)

Edited by Egg_Chen

Not to mention that it also heals your Kubrow (if you're one of those players)

Also, AoE explosion.

Also also, Gleaming Talon (I only have it because we got it for free) is on par with Burning Wasp/ Coiling Viper in terms of melee-with-large-range/radius combos. Often times with my Glaive prime, I can slaughter infested before they even get in melee range - and that's just using the glaive as a melee weapon.

Also also also, it's the best melee weapon for attacking short or tall targets.

I love it. The glaive family is my favorite weapon handle.

Love it. Have the most kills with Glaive Prime than any other weapons and I've been playing since Closed Beta began couple years ago.

To add to your list of awesome "also's"... the coptering with Glaive afford you some incredible distance he with Spoiled Strike enabled.

I especially love the triple-copter potential the Glaive Prime has (Not too sure about Kestral and Glaive), which allows you to change direction mid-copter with another one if you're fast enough.

I just wish you could throw the weapon mid-air and get rid of the slam attack. There's no need for an AoE knockdown when you could copter a distance and throw the Glaive at the ground where you used to be, and it looks pretty stupid slamming the Glaive into the ground like that anyway. Allowing it to be thrown mid-air would be really great for taking out enemies behind cover, and synergize extremely well with things like Tail Wind and Super Jump.

I think my main, current issue is that a Glaive has too many unpredictable factors attached to it as is that could probably use some smoothing.

The math that controls it's bounces seems attached to some weird collision rules as I have used it against a round pillar with Power Throw during testing (no Quick Return, so it should bounce 4 times) and it impacted the pillar, came straight back, and exploded on me. I have thrown it in corridors, against flat looking walls, only to see it go weird directions. I have thrown it directly in front of me, just to see my Kubrow power dash forward and get a Glaive to the head, spoiling the shot.  The list goes on.

Look, I'm not expecting the DEV team to drop everything and work on "my Glaive problems". Mainly I came here to highlight the fact that everyone has issued with their favorite weapons and Frames, and constantly goes to the forums to scream and shout, and I wanted it known that some of us humble Glaive users have been struggling with much bigger problems - ie being weapon-less for half a mission due to a Glaive glitching - and would ALSO like a pass over the Glaive at some stage.

I would always prefer extra utility over raw damage on weapons any day, and don't want the more unusual weapons like Glaives to be forgotten amongst the shouts for "moar buffs to <weapon X>".

dont tell my friend I said this buuuuuut he found a bug that if you hold channeling before and as you throw glaive it wont use any of your energy but you till get the benefits of channel mods like life strike, he has been using this to instantly give himself 200 health without loosing any energy

I did make a post about Glaive. Though it didn't get much attention.

First, it sometimes gets stuck and never wants to return. I hope there is a timer. If Glaive failed to return in time, it should just teleport back to its user.

​Second, separate the explosion from Power Throw.

Third, enable aiming while charging Glaive. Making Glaive easier to use.