Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Controllers Using Xinput (Pc)

hypnobeard

Honestly the biggest thing I want to see re-added to the controller use is the ability to hit left or right to select "Extract" or "Battle" in defense and interception missions. Having to reach over to my computer and forcibly click either option is a little annoying. (First world problems, I know)

Also I think it would be great functionality as well if it was made so that on the mission results screen you'd be able to select between your Mission Results and Syndicate Results with the left and right bumpers, very much so like you can switch pages while in the Foundry.

As for the reload now rooming with the action button, I was kinda annoyed at first just like everyone else but eventually I got used to it. I'm not sure if I -like- it, really, but I certainly don't mind it and have gotten used to it. My Archwing just finished building so I'll be trying that out shortly, hoping for the best in that the controls aren't super weird for me since I messed with my bindings.

Hi all,

So before I turn in for the night I figured I’d drop by and respond to as many of the issues that have been raised since my last post as I can :)

Firstly, the Archwing issue, where you’re unable to rebind Ascend or Descend (which I believe are bound to A and Left Bumper by default (assuming an Xbox controller)). I definitely agree that we should work to give you guys the freedom to rebind these as you see fit. I can tell you that the reason these bindings were chosen was because they match the defaults for Jump and Crouch during regular missions, and this was seen as the closest parallel to moving vertically in an Archwing. However, I realise that this doesn’t necessarily make those controls intuitive, so I will personally look into ways we can improve this, and hopefully give you the ability to choose your own movement bindings.

Secondly, I’ve read your concerns regarding the combining of Context Action and Reload. As with the new Power Menu feature, this is something we’ve done to free up more buttons on the controller, and in the hope that it will behave sensibly (performing a Context Action if one is available, otherwise performing a Reload), but we also understand that some of you would prefer to keep both bindings separate if it gives you better control in the heat of the moment. Therefore I will also look into ways we can offer both options in the future.

Finally, some of you have highlighted issues with the new Power Menu not working as expected when the face buttons have certain other actions bound to them (such as Place Marker or Roll). I’m not at my desk right now so I can’t say for sure but I suspect I know what might be causing these quirks. If I’m right it should be a fairly simple fix, and again I will look into this as soon as possible.

Thanks! :)

Thank you so much Jim!!!

Hi all,

So before I turn in for the night I figured I’d drop by and respond to as many of the issues that have been raised since my last post as I can :)

Firstly, the Archwing issue, where you’re unable to rebind Ascend or Descend (which I believe are bound to A and Left Bumper by default (assuming an Xbox controller)). I definitely agree that we should work to give you guys the freedom to rebind these as you see fit. I can tell you that the reason these bindings were chosen was because they match the defaults for Jump and Crouch during regular missions, and this was seen as the closest parallel to moving vertically in an Archwing. However, I realise that this doesn’t necessarily make those controls intuitive, so I will personally look into ways we can improve this, and hopefully give you the ability to choose your own movement bindings.

Secondly, I’ve read your concerns regarding the combining of Context Action and Reload. As with the new Power Menu feature, this is something we’ve done to free up more buttons on the controller, and in the hope that it will behave sensibly (performing a Context Action if one is available, otherwise performing a Reload), but we also understand that some of you would prefer to keep both bindings separate if it gives you better control in the heat of the moment. Therefore I will also look into ways we can offer both options in the future.

Finally, some of you have highlighted issues with the new Power Menu not working as expected when the face buttons have certain other actions bound to them (such as Place Marker or Roll). I’m not at my desk right now so I can’t say for sure but I suspect I know what might be causing these quirks. If I’m right it should be a fairly simple fix, and again I will look into this as soon as possible.

Thanks! :)

Awesome can't wait! And thanks again for the results so far. I hope the archwing controls get refined first so some of us who are just waiting for our archwings can play it right away.

Honestly the biggest thing I want to see re-added to the controller use is the ability to hit left or right to select "Extract" or "Battle" in defense and interception missions. Having to reach over to my computer and forcibly click either option is a little annoying. (First world problems, I know)

Also I think it would be great functionality as well if it was made so that on the mission results screen you'd be able to select between your Mission Results and Syndicate Results with the left and right bumpers, very much so like you can switch pages while in the Foundry.

As for the reload now rooming with the action button, I was kinda annoyed at first just like everyone else but eventually I got used to it. I'm not sure if I -like- it, really, but I certainly don't mind it and have gotten used to it. My Archwing just finished building so I'll be trying that out shortly, hoping for the best in that the controls aren't super weird for me since I messed with my bindings.

I have this problem too, hopefully we get it back.

For the context/reload thing, honestly I like it and I like having a free button to map something into, BUT, as I try to get used to it there really is no workaround except trying to be aware if you're next to an interactive object when you reload e.g. Life support, which does get troublesome =/

Edited by AoiiToori

The reload/action button works well for me. I don't come up on as many tricky situations as many are saying here. If I'm close enough for an action, its rarely a time when I need to reload.

I've never reloaded when I was trying to activate something out revive unless I want close enough to begin with.

Ok yeah I tried out Archwing. Not being able to use my powers with either "Use power" button mapped to left bumper sort of detracts from the experience... completely. Definitely would like to see some button customization for Archwing. I already don't really know what I'm doing in the chaos out there in space but... no powers is kind of awful. :/

There are still hidden archwing keybinds that can not be gotten rid of.

Please allow us to change these as well.

Example, Left Bumper by default is bound to the "descend" button.  This cannot be changed, instead of sprinting, my character awkwardly floats downward.

Please make all of these invisible bindings customization.

^ This, please...

Hi all,

Good news! DE_Steve has done an amazing job today in figuring out a way to give you guys back the ability to rebind your powers, as well as to decide exactly how you want to activate them! Your feedback on this issue has been incredibly valuable and we appreciate all of your comments. 

-snip-

Thanks!
Jim

Thanks Jim and Steve for the fixes. I highly appreciate your efforts on this issue and now I can play with ease on my controller.

I haven't played Archwing yet, so hopefully any issues with that will be fixed by the time I get to it.

Keep up the good work!

Just had a quick go with my Archwing, controller for this does not work at all.

Just for note sake, I have power menu mapped to LB, quick melee and melee mapped to RB, sprint toggle to left stick, crough toggle to right stick and B is roll. (Power menu doesn't work correctly with the face buttons when you map them to something else).

Issues:

Cannot use Archwing powers, this is a huge, huge issue. LB simply ascends, then it also "glides" during archwing "flight/ sprint mode". I should be able to use the archwing abilities with LB, "glide/ space slide" with right stick.

Controller users need to be able to map archwing controls separately, ascend and descend shouldn't be hard-coded. 

I hope this is rectified soonish. Haven't seen what these archwings can do power-wise yet. 

Edited by Anihlmal

Controller users need to be able to map archwing controls separately, ascend and descend shouldn't be hard-coded. 

I hope this is rectified soonish. Haven't seen what these archwings can do power-wise yet. 

Just so you know, the same problem with archwing happens on keyboard (left control) but yes this completely sucks because I can't sprint with my controller T.T

I am happy i found this thread!

I use L1 (left bumper) to sprint and L3 (left stick press) to use my powers.

Everything works fine but in archewing i can't boost and that kills the the whole fast paced game play. . .

I know KB&M users are having the same problem with Ctrl, i just came here to give this thread a bump for justice! ! !

I just came here to give this thread a bump for justice! ! !

As you should, this bug really needs to get fixed, it messes with my xontroller layout AND mt keyboard, though I don't really mind that too much, as long as controller gets fixed I'm happy.

Hi all,

Good news! Today I've been able to write a fix to allow you guys to further customize your Archwing controls! These changes will go into our next hotfix which is due for release some time later today. Once the fix goes live you should discover two new actions in your Customize Controller screen, 'Move Up' and 'Move Down'. By default these are bound to A and Left Bumper, respectively, but you're free to change them as you see fit :)

I've also discovered the cause of the issue where the Power Menu wasn't working as expected when one or more of the face buttons was bound to either Sprint, Sprint/Roll or Place Marker, and I'm happy to report that this will also be fixed in our next release!

One further issue that I've seen reported is that during Archwing missions 'Hold to Crouch' works but 'Toggle Crouch' does not. This led to some confusion over how to correctly perform a slide. After doing a little digging I found that actually neither crouch actions work during Archwing missions, but that slides occur when the player is sprinting and presses the button bound to 'Move Down'. I think the confusion arose from the fact that 'Move Down' was previously locked to the Left Bumper (or Ctrl on a keyboard), which by default is also 'Hold to Crouch'. So I just thought I'd clarify by saying that to perform a slide during Archwing missions you must be sprinting and then press whichever button you have bound to 'Move Down' :)

Thanks!

Oh! One last thing I forgot to add: Some of you have mentioned that the Syndicates screen and the Battle/Extract screen (at the end of Defense and Interception missions) aren't totally compatible with a controller. I can assure you this is very high on my list of things to look at! 

Just thought I'd mention you can use programs like JoyToKey to map your controller to the keyboard bindings.  That fixed almost every issue I ran into.  The only issue left is the Archwing controls which DEJim just said will be fixed.  

Also, my reload and use are now back to 2 separate buttons, the control sticks are still bound, and the power selector works.  It is labeled as /Lotus/Language/Menu/Input_POWER_MENU in the key bindings and still accepts the controller buttons as inputs.  Not sure why it is there. Removed in hotfix.

Once this all gets fixed up ill move back to controller bindings.  I unbound everything by editing the EE.cfg file that was mentioned around page 2 of this topic.  It is really funny to see the whole menu filled with unbound keys.

Edited by IB2Cool4U

zY_Spartan_Yz, yes, the hotfix just went live so you should have these changes now :)

IB2Cool4U, yes, while I was in there I thought it best to take the Power Menu out of the keyboard bindings screen. Not only did it have a broken description but it didn't make much sense being in there until we add the ability to customize the four keys that activate each power.

Can we just have a separate mapping screen for each layout pls? I.e. Archwing controller layout that is applied on archwing missions and melee combos/controller layout that could work when you're maining melee - then potentially we would have more buttons free for more complex combos <hint hint> ;)

Also will we see a point where I can finally put my mouse down? I hate having to have everything around me just in case the controller doesn't respond to a certain part of the UI

Edited by W4RM3CH4N1C

Hi W4RM3CH4N1C,

Having separate mapping screens is actually something that I've briefly discussed internally a few times already, and I think now that we've got Archwing it would be more helpful than ever. It's definitely something we're looking into. I don't want to say it's right around the corner, but it is being discussed :)

As for getting to a point where you can play entirely using a controller, again this is something that's very close to my heart and I'm really hoping to find some time to get this done for you guys. In theory it's not that difficult, since we've already done most of the work for the PS4 and Xbox One versions of the game, but for some reason our PC version is a little out-of-sync in this regard. Again, I'm a little afraid to give any real ETA for this, but I'm confident that it will get done :)