Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Limbo Makes Me Uneasy; It Feels Uncomfortably Close To Jumping The Shark.

duenor

Pleasing Fanboys, and Fangirls respectively, is a serious business.

As it should be, when said pleasure is paid for by money. What did you think the entertainment business is about? Even high art needs to please the audience. 

The top hat doffing is seriously ludicrous. Every other frame looks combative - yes, Mirage included. I don't feel very Warframey as Fred Astaire in bell bottoms. One gets the sense that the directors have stretched a little too far - much like those "time travel" episodes of Star Trek where the Enterprise's crew got filmed walking around modern-day Los Angeles because their production budget got tapped out. 

At this point, what's done is done.

But I for one humbly ask that future designs keep the grandeur of Warframe's genesis in mind - and side trips into bizarro land to a refreshing minimum.  

I mostly agree, but I think the problem goes a little deeper.

Before, the warframes had a generally 'idea' to them, but nothing specific guiding their visual design. Loki bears very little resemblance to the mythological Loki, and Rhino, despite being named for a rhinoceros, only shares the general concept of 'big and plated' to its namesake. Even though I positively hate Nova's visual design, she still felt like something unique and all her own.

With Zephyr and Oberon, they tried to incorporate animalistic traits, and though I take issue with slight hiccups here and there, it succeeded. The problem started with Hydroid, who they decided 'let's make a pirate frame', and then it began its descent into ridiculousness. Compare to Volt, Nyx, or Trinity. Despite their strange, outlandish looks, they still convey a cohesive design. More than that, you cannot simply peg them to a niche by looking at them. You cannot say 'Oh, that's the healing frame,' when you look at Trinity, nor can you even say 'That's the fire frame' when you look at Ember. You could make a guess in the latter case, but that's primarily because of the colouring.

They need to create the visuals for the frame and the abilities in a vacuum, sealed from one another, and then when the final creation is made, make slight tweaks to fit the theme, not start with a vaudeville act and go from there.

The next frame needs to be Tenno first, gimmick second.

As in, "jump the shark".

I felt drawn in by the idea of space ninjas fighting a desperate battle against overwhelming odds. I was thrilled by Lotus playing Oracle to my Dark Knight, an interplanetary warrior of ancient power and eldritch weaponry. Each warframe felt plausible within this diaspora.

However, Limbo disrupts this. A magician, with a hat that he can doff? Are we now taking pages out of DC's missteps? Will we next see a warframe whose theme is rainbows and music notes?

I am delighted by the idea of the void, shadow walking, etc. But the idea of a hat-and-bunny magician is just as disruptive here in Warframe as it is in the world of Metropolis.

But, perhaps I am just too old for this game. It may be that I have just outgrown delight at seeing everything I consider cool all in one place. 

Pirate. Birdbrain. Jester. Magician.

Dude, this isn't the first time for one like this, and nothing wrong with that in particular.

Well, I personally think his design is awesome. I can finally become the Dark Magician! But I also agree that a bit more of a solid theme should be added. Like the next warframe Typhus (this pure 100% unrealistic optimism). 

The problem is that there isn't a set boundary for what is and isn't a tenno. Basically anything goes.

As in, "jump the shark".

I felt drawn in by the idea of space ninjas fighting a desperate battle against overwhelming odds. I was thrilled by Lotus playing Oracle to my Dark Knight, an interplanetary warrior of ancient power and eldritch weaponry. Each warframe felt plausible within this diaspora.

However, Limbo disrupts this. A magician, with a hat that he can doff? Are we now taking pages out of DC's missteps? Will we next see a warframe whose theme is rainbows and music notes?

I am delighted by the idea of the void, shadow walking, etc. But the idea of a hat-and-bunny magician is just as disruptive here in Warframe as it is in the world of Metropolis.

But, perhaps I am just too old for this game. It may be that I have just outgrown delight at seeing everything I consider cool all in one place. 

I hope you aren't talking about Zatanna, because she's @(*()$ awesome.

The problem started with Hydroid, who they decided 'let's make a pirate frame', and then it began its descent into ridiculousness. 

I entirely agree. Zephyr was still fairly close, in my opinion, the original Tenno ideals. Mirage is further away, but close enough (and a margin is granted for being a community designed frame). But Hydroid? Why a Pirate Tenno? A deep-sea, "Tethys" kind of frame is one thing - but why the pirate theme? It doesn't make sense, in the Tenno universe. Nor does the superfluous shield in Silva & Aegis. And now... Magician? Not Trickster, not Illusionist, but straight-up "Abracadabra" magician. 

Limbo is euphoric. nuff said

That's not a good thing.

Here's a thought. How about releasing a skin for Limbo that would actually match that name - Purgatorial, Dark, edge-of-sanity. And then, make it craftable as an alert cosmetic as well as purchasable in market for platinum. 

Interesting....everyone seems to know what is 'tenno' better than the devs themselves.

*takes off hat*

Interesting.

Interesting....everyone seems to know what is 'tenno' better than the devs themselves.

*takes off hat*

Interesting.

We have no idea what the warframes truly are aside from a few pieces of Lore.

But a suit is unacceptable, how can it be used in combat.

How can a tenno even fit inside nekros? Yet because he has a hat he crosses the line?

I swear, people.

Gonna have to throw my lot in with the "nay" camp on Limbo's design. Honestly, there have been things that have disappointed me about the game but i've come to accept most of it. But limbo? Man, I am somewhat disgusted by it's design. Don't know why, but that tophat is really stupid IMO. By large and far the least pleasing thing that DE has done aesthetically in warframe, IMO.

I'm doing the quest for him but I think I might actually hold off on playing him until I can get his helm from an alert, that's just how intense my dislike of that design has come.

We have no idea what the warframes truly are aside from a few pieces of Lore.

But a suit is unacceptable, how can it be used in combat.

How can a tenno even fit inside nekros? Yet because he has a hat he crosses the line?

I swear, people.

It's because some one decided to build a machine of war around this.

nekettZ.jpg

Apparently, in this universe this represents a fearsome warrior.

What are Tenno?..

Look into the mirror and you will find what is a Tenno. Otherwordly beings that Limbo wishes to meet, but failed to do so. Otherwordly beings, led by the Lotus, attempting to balance, or destroy, the universe. Otherwordly beings....that do not even exist in the Void.

*runs*

The OP and people that agree with him may need to remember that Derf Anyo is gonna make his way into Warframe which was entirely a joke thread.

Edit: If we are going out of the Tenno, we do have the Para Carrier and Kubrow additions for Sentinel, if that doesn't spell out silly, than idk what does.

Edited by izzatuw

I don't see the problem with limbo? When I found out he had a top hat I peed a little inside (is that healthy?) I absolutely love the magician look and even more so hats and top hats. Be on the look out for me as the mad hatter soon enough ;) (I'm not talkin Tim Burton either, book Alice fan since childhood)