Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Petition To Change "ninjas Play Free" To "knights Play Free"

Mak_Gohae

You'll have to forgive me if this doesn't make since. I'm crap at words sometimes.

They aren't "actual ninja" in the traditional way but they are labeled as such. That label stuck and now most can accept or expect a ninja to be things other then what a true ninja actually is. Hence why they can call these fakers I guess you could(would?) call them ninja. Over time what it means to be a Ninja in the eyes of many become oversimplified, becoming sort of a stereotype.

And in that they all fit the bare minimum of the stereotype regarding what ninja should be or do. Infiltrate, have some sort of code, and kill or mess things up. All being high mobile and acrobatic. It doesn't matter that once they infiltrate they become murdering death machines of chaos and mayhem. They use swords, do flips, and manage to sneak into things without detection and that is what many have come to believe a ninja is. 

Which is why the ninjas play free still fits. They aren't ninjas in the original sense but they do fit the stereotype many have come to know as ninja.

EDIT: Also fake ninja probably would have an adverse reaction for the potential audience. 

Nobody want to play a game with the tag line is wanna be ninjas play free. 

That's my point. If they're only 'ninja' because their creator labeled them as such the label is meaningless. Their creator could have just as easily labeled them Gerbils and it would have meant just as much. No, they are fakes, they aren't ninja. That is irrelevant. The term and those who were ninja do not suddenly become what their tropes label them as.

They also fit the stereotype of numerous other tropes. They're ninja in name only. I give zero cares what many ignorant consumers believe ninja are/were. They're wrong.

No it doesn't. Your argument boils down to 'they fit this trope, so the name fits' but ignores the fact that the stereotypical ninja also bleeds into the stereotype for numerous other types of characters (spys, mercenaries, generic soldiers, magicians/wizards, etc). So the motto could be changed to any number of other things and it would still fit using your reasoning.

That's why they wouldn't change it to 'fake ninja play free' it would be changed to something that is far more fitting, like 'mercenaries play free' (or suit to kill).

No it doesn't. Your argument boils down to 'they fit this trope, so the name fits' but ignores the fact that the stereotypical ninja also bleeds into the stereotype for numerous other types of characters (spys, mercenaries, generic soldiers, magicians/wizards, etc). So the motto could be changed to any number of other things and it would still fit using your reasoning.

That's why they wouldn't change it to 'fake ninja play free' it would be changed to something that is far more fitting, like 'mercenaries play free' (or suit to kill).

I see your point there. But if it bleeds into numerous others, each that accurately convey what they are, wouldn't Ninja still be the best one since it's the overall stereotype all the others can fit in or can branch out from? 

Also  "Mercenaries" does not have the same ring to it, that is like double the syllables. Ain't nobody got time for two extra syllables. 

Would the Tenno be consider an actual faction or a private military group? They don't have a nation/home planet(would the new hubs count?), but aren't they are basically a race of people fighting a war against two other races of people rather then Mercs? 

I do kind of like their other slogan(Suit to Kill) though. Reminds me of that Crysis 3 commercial. And it brings it back to the warframe aspect of well, Warframe.

Edited by (PS4)Lowk721

I see your point there. But if it bleeds into numerous others, each that accurately convey what they are, wouldn't Ninja still be the best one since it's the overall stereotype all the others can fit in or can branch out from? 

Also  "Mercenaries" does not have the same ring to it, that is like double the syllables. Ain't nobody got time for two extra syllables. 

Would the Tenno be consider an actual faction or a private military group? They don't have a nation/home planet(would the new hubs count?), but aren't they are basically a race of people fighting a war against two other races of people rather then Mercs? 

I do kind of like their other slogan(Suit to Kill) though. Reminds me of that Crysis 3 commercial. And it brings it back to the warframe aspect of well, Warframe.

Speaking purely on tropes, no. Any of the others could apply just as well as 'ninja'. 

If you're trying to shorten the thing, go with knights as OP suggested.

Considering the rail conflicts, the gradi-whatever dilemma, and the syndicates, I'd say mercenary applies incredibly well. We are far too split to be a single faction.

DE could also consider scrapping the first word and just go with 'play free' as players of all different playstyles (*cough*that weren't nerfed*cough*) are able to play free. Not just those who try to stealth.

DE could also consider scrapping the first word and just go with 'play free' as players of all different playstyles (*cough*that weren't nerfed*cough*) are able to play free. Not just those who try to stealth.

Why not "suit to kill"?

I mean, all playstyles have suits and killing in common, right?

Speaking purely on tropes, no. Any of the others could apply just as well as 'ninja'. 

If you're trying to shorten the thing, go with knights as OP suggested.

Considering the rail conflicts, the gradi-whatever dilemma, and the syndicates, I'd say mercenary applies incredibly well. We are far too split to be a single faction.

Knights, doesn't really envision the nimbleness of the style of game. Don't get me wrong I've heard that knight were pretty agile but how well were they known for thier parkour skills?

Spies maybe could work but that sounds like it involves a type play style shown in the Original idea for dark sector trailer.

Wizards/magicians... going by how people reacted to limbo would just piss people.

Of those Ninja just feels like it carry the right connotation. At least from the fictional rule-of-cool ninja sense. And If they ever do find a better way of tweaking(OVERHAULING) the stealth mechanic it'll help.

lol, Lotus would be more like a CEO of the Tenno rather then president.

Even with the eternal conflicts the canon enemies are the corpus and the Tenno as a whole make an effort to stopping. They seem more like a military force with a bunch of branches trying to be better then one another.

Syndicates needing our help is like one nation needing help from another. They'll even be setting up embassies in our hubs.

Though if mercenaries was to fit I guess they could just shorten it to Mercs Play Free. That could probably go along with the gunslinger frame.

I never accepted calling Tenno ninjas. Tenno are space ninjas which is a completely different entity. Space ninjas are at the very least a mix between ninjas and knights. The interesting bit is that tenno actually acted as knights under the orokin in both old and new lore. The current state of Space Ninjas is probably due to the transition when they turned against the orokin. We lost most of our resources from that event and fighting head-on simply became harder to do on anything other than small scale battles.

That's what I think of the Tenno. This is what makes sense to me.

Why not "suit to kill"?

I mean, all playstyles have suits and killing in common, right?

This was meant to be in addition to suit to kill, not function as its replacement.

Knights, doesn't really envision the nimbleness of the style of game. Don't get me wrong I've heard that knight were pretty agile but how well were they known for thier parkour skills?

Spies maybe could work but that sounds like it involves a type play style shown in the Original idea for dark sector trailer.

Wizards/magicians... going by how people reacted to limbo would just &!$$ people.

Of those Ninja just feels like it carry the right connotation. At least from the fictional rule-of-cool ninja sense. And If they ever do find a better way of tweaking(OVERHAULING) the stealth mechanic it'll help.

lol, Lotus would be more like a CEO of the Tenno rather then president.

Even with the eternal conflicts the canon enemies are the corpus and the Tenno as a whole make an effort to stopping. They seem more like a military force with a bunch of branches trying to be better then one another.

Syndicates needing our help is like one nation needing help from another. They'll even be setting up embassies in our hubs.

Though if mercenaries was to fit I guess they could just shorten it to Mercs Play Free. That could probably go along with the gunslinger frame.

Ninja didn't use parkour so your question is irrelevant.

Limbo was a failure in many people's eyes, but he is far from the only magician/wizard in this game. 

I disagree. Ninja doesn't describe us at all as stealth was is a HUGE part of the ninja stereotype, and stealth is hardly a factor in this game.

Those conflicts are also part of the canon. A nation's various military branches do not actively attack each other. Mercs would.

I completely disagree. The syndicates recruit us and even completely disagree with Lotus (Arbiters of Hexis) and then will turn around and send death squads after those who chose opposing factions. If a country has alliances with six different countries, and one of those countries starts attacking its people who are supporting another, that main country doesn't sit by and twiddle its thumbs. We (tenno) are allowed to support whoever we want, and Lotus currently doesn't seem to care. Even when the organizations we're supporting are sending death squads after other teammates.

Mercenary is fair more accurate than ninja.

Ninja didn't use parkour so your question is irrelevant.

Limbo was a failure in many people's eyes, but he is far from the only magician/wizard in this game. 

I disagree. Ninja doesn't describe us at all as stealth was is a HUGE part of the ninja stereotype, and stealth is hardly a factor in this game.

Those conflicts are also part of the canon. A nation's various military branches do not actively attack each other. Mercs would.

I completely disagree. The syndicates recruit us and even completely disagree with Lotus (Arbiters of Hexis) and then will turn around and send death squads after those who chose opposing factions. If a country has alliances with six different countries, and one of those countries starts attacking its people who are supporting another, that main country doesn't sit by and twiddle its thumbs. We (tenno) are allowed to support whoever we want, and Lotus currently doesn't seem to care. Even when the organizations we're supporting are sending death squads after other teammates.

Mercenary is fair more accurate than ninja.

Fictional ninjas do and known for being highly mobile.

He fails at being a typical wizard. All he really has is a hat. He still fights like a warrior.

Stealth is apart of it but it's not designed well. They stated they are trying to find ways to make it better. They even experimented with an event where you had to sneak in, stealth kill all the wardens to help achieve the objective. If you didn't there was a possibility of failure.

During the events do Tenno actually die or is it more they fight till one can't fight any longer kind of loss? Sort of like a honor thing where you lose the fight you lose the thing.

Nations help people that don't agree with some of the stuff they do. As long as they are beneficial to one another it doesn't matter if they disagree with how they run things as long as they do what they want. 

And so what if the side we work for sends deathsquads, Tenno can still help each other and revive one another after a supposed death. 

Tenno essentially play every side of the conflict with little to no repercussion other then secret hit squads. Something that's sort of the norm anyway. Whoever you help there is generally a side that doesn't take well to you helping them. That is true in more then just a warframe sense.

Tenno are fictional. They fit the fictional ninja vibe.

Besides that weren't some Ninja mercs as well? So either way Ninjas play free seems just as valid as Mercs play free.

Fictional ninjas do and known for being highly mobile.

He fails at being a typical wizard. All he really has is a hat. He still fights like a warrior.

Stealth is apart of it but it's not designed well. They stated they are trying to find ways to make it better. They even experimented with an event where you had to sneak in, stealth kill all the wardens to help achieve the objective. If you didn't there was a possibility of failure.

During the events do Tenno actually die or is it more they fight till one can't fight any longer kind of loss? Sort of like a honor thing where you lose the fight you lose the thing.

Nations help people that don't agree with some of the stuff they do. As long as they are beneficial to one another it doesn't matter if they disagree with how they run things as long as they do what they want. 

And so what if the side we work for sends deathsquads, Tenno can still help each other and revive one another after a supposed death. 

Tenno essentially play every side of the conflict with little to no repercussion other then secret hit squads. Something that's sort of the norm anyway. Whoever you help there is generally a side that doesn't take well to you helping them. That is true in more then just a warframe sense.

Tenno are fictional. They fit the fictional ninja vibe.

Besides that weren't some Ninja mercs as well? So either way Ninjas play free seems just as valid as Mercs play free.

Either you have a strange definition of what counts as parkour or you're playing different ninja games than me.  Sticking to walls and other impossible things like that are not parkour. Wait... are you referring to the exaggerated thing that fiction often calls parkour? 

I don't see how he fails when he is casting things that can only be explained with magic...

Not really. I was here for that event, it didin't require stealth. I saw plenty of people rushing in with their rhinos and slaughtering everything. That version of rescue still exists and I had to run it for a not-so-recent alert. I ran in and killed everything rambo style. The possibility of failure is no different than the possibility of failure that exists if you stand there and let them kill you. 

Nothing definitive was stated on that. I would assume that deaths occur, but we weren't explicitly told (IIRC). 

Nations(Nation A) rarely help other nations(Nation B) when those nations are actively killing some of their (Nation A's) people. Acts of aggression like that tend to sour friendships really quickly. 

That is a game mechanic. I was talking from a lore perspective. 

Not really. The only way that is the case is if you view tenno as a faction rather than numerous individuals who act as individuals. 

Tenno are fictional and they fit the stereotype for mercenaries far better. 

Stealth is a huge part of the ninja stereotype. Stealth is so low on our list of priorities, it had to be taped to the bottom of the paper. 

I never accepted calling Tenno ninjas. Tenno are space ninjas which is a completely different entity. Space ninjas are at the very least a mix between ninjas and knights. The interesting bit is that tenno actually acted as knights under the orokin in both old and new lore. The current state of Space Ninjas is probably due to the transition when they turned against the orokin. We lost most of our resources from that event and fighting head-on simply became harder to do on anything other than small scale battles.

That's what I think of the Tenno. This is what makes sense to me.

They were not considered knights by far, people still viewed them with abject fear and awe.

Like freaks of nature as per Mag Prime lore. Even their fellow team mates, the human grunt soldiers can't trust them.

Tenno only fought against the Sentients as they are soldiers. They were ordered to do so.

What they did against their Orokin Masters was probably out of vengeance for what the Orokin did to them.

The only good thing that the Tenno ever did was probably banishing the infested before taking the long nap. 

Edited by fatpig84

• 4 weeks later...

They were always knights!

FactionSummary.jpg

We have been lied to!

That explains all the codpieces! Ninjas dont wear codpieces!

That explains Zephyr's face

flBmdQ9l.jpg

That explains the Lotus! It's the War of the Roses!

Now, DE, if you are afraid about all those foam "ninja stars", or whatever they are, you just buy extra foam rectangles and tape them to one end and call them foam franciscas. Which are throwing axes, which basically already exist in the game with the zoren. Yeah you dont throw them but whatever. It's not like you are going to start making sense now. 

As for all the other merchandise, you can call now sell it for more money because now this will be limited edition since from now on everything will referred to as knights. It's going to sell.

Plus being Knights the Druid, Pirate, and Stage Magician now make sense. Cause it's all British and stuff.

Now Im waiting for a mod frame to be made soon. That's going to rock. 

Oh wait your next frame is a cowboy.... hmmm, well British people came to the US and became cowboys... that fits.

Oh, and this also explains all the weird armor bits.

Ummm... NOPE? Sounds preety stupid to me. This is sci-fi not medieval... :/