Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Valkyr's Voice

(PSN)theelix

I find it a bit strange that Valkyr's the only one who expresses anything in the game, and it just hit me for some reason, she's the only PC in the game that I know of that has a voice. 

What do you guys think of this? Do you think she can talk? Like, form actual words or if it's (understandably) just her pure rage and frustration and the only thing she can do is scream? 

I also would like to bring up that though she screams, she among other Warframes make no vocal noises when hurt or killed. Maybe it's because her helmet was modified? 

Edit: Just looked at an archived thread that barely spoke of Valkyr having a voice. They said that Rhino also has a voice... I can kind of see that, but it can also be like the Iron Bull effect. Maybe the power flowing through him and out of his frame is just causing the low bull sound, which would also make sense. 

Edited by (PS4)theelix

They probably don't have any mouths, regarding Rhino Prime's codex entry, them being mounds of grotesque mutated flesh.

That codex entry specifically mentions the thing having a mouth.

I kinda choose to believe that the Tenno can talk, but simply don't talk.

That codex entry specifically mentions the thing having a mouth.

I kinda choose to believe that the Tenno can talk, but simply don't talk.

Well I meant to say that some do and some don't. I kind of got that observation since most Warframes require neural sensors to see, but you get my point.

I'd like to think that Tenno can talk, but they just don't as it really isn't important or necessary for them to do so. Valkyr's screams however provide a unique insight into what she went through at the hands of Alad V. The fact that she is the only warframe to vocalize (not counting Rhino as he roars like a... Rhino) and that her screams are filled with rage places emphasis on the fact that she has been put through hell, that she isn't like the others, that's she's the berserker.

It's personally one of the many things I like about her, as playing as her makes me feel like I'm playing as an actual person, in contrast to the other warframes where I find their complete unconditional silence in game-play a bit distancing. I'm not saying DE should have any other frame vocalize though, they've been in the game long enough to have players make their own interpretations of how they would sound, whereas Valkyr has always had her screams as something that sets her apart.

Zephyr has bird voice on 2nd skill.. sorta?

Honestly, I can't imagine Tenno not being able to talk, how would we communicate with syndicates and various other stuff otherwise? Are we to believe they all happen to be proficient in reading Tennobet (and that we write all communication) or a Tenno sign language?

Hmm... well actually maybe a sign language would be possible, but it'd be odd if that's the Tenno's only method of speaking.

Zephyr has bird voice on 2nd skill.. sorta?

Honestly, I can't imagine Tenno not being able to talk, how would we communicate with syndicates and various other stuff otherwise? Are we to believe they all happen to be proficient in reading Tennobet (and that we write all communication) or a Tenno sign language?

Hmm... well actually maybe a sign language would be possible, but it'd be odd if that's the Tenno's only method of speaking.

I'd like to think of her screams as internal screams where only the Tenno (through their senses) can 'feel'.

I feel we're all hiveminded. We don't need to talk because we communicate through thoughts. Also, a lot of questions asked to us don't have to be answered and can, if they do need to be answered, be through actions. I mean it's like "Which Syndicate will you choose?" *walks over and gives the Syndicate whatever the hell they want* 

"Will these help you on your journey?" *takes whatever I wanted and leaves* 

"The balance is shifting. What will you do, Tenno?" *Does whatever the **** I want* 

There's also the fact that in one of the trailers, Volt and Rhino didn't speak, but still made a strategy. I'm assuming either they have sound blockers not allowing sound out and they use an intercom system or they have telepathy.

Also... Think about it... We're ninjas... Whatever message we want to relay, they'll just know. 

220px-SnakeEyeslive.jpg

Edited by (PS4)theelix

Off course the Tenno can speak,

its just like Gordon freeman, he can speak, but for whatever reason, he chooses not to,

Personally, im peretty sure its just a matter of DE. never got around to hire voice actors in the first place, to give them voices,

its an easy way to save big, and a monetary and a convienient decision, made in the early alpha/beta, that just kinda never got rectified later on,

and now were stuck with protaganistst that dosent speak,..

I find it a bit strange that Valkyr's the only one who expresses anything in the game, and it just hit me for some reason, she's the only PC in the game that I know of that has a voice. 

What do you guys think of this? Do you think she can talk? Like, form actual words or if it's (understandably) just her pure rage and frustration and the only thing she can do is scream? 

I also would like to bring up that though she screams, she among other Warframes make no vocal noises when hurt or killed. Maybe it's because her helmet was modified? 

Edit: Just looked at an archived thread that barely spoke of Valkyr having a voice. They said that Rhino also has a voice... I can kind of see that, but it can also be like the Iron Bull effect. Maybe the power flowing through him and out of his frame is just causing the low bull sound, which would also make sense. 

Valkyr is a Warframe, a suit, a damaged and tainted one, but still just a suit.

A Tenno wearing Valkyr screams in primal rage when channeling void energy to activate the Warframe's altered abilities.

Your Tenno can most likely speak, even when wearing the Valkyr warframe that they built, but chooses not to.

The original Tenno who was tortured by Alad V when their Valkyr Warframe was stripped down may or may not be able to speak any more due to trauma, but we never see or meet that Tenno.

You do not play the Torture Victim.

Edited by SilentMobius

Valkyr's screams are the only real way to keep the Player's interpretation as an open thing. Tenno are certainly capable of speech but that is not a context the game will ever address, again because of interpretations. Words have clear meanings. Primal sounds, like Valkyr's screams, Rhino's 'roar'/guttural growl? and Zephyr's 'Hawk cry' are pretty open to how they express. Rhino and Zephyr are meaning neutral, just traits their concept has tied into it.

Yet for Valkyr, the fact is the best expression is just raw rage/pain. In that open context you can run the gamut from a cold, Tranquil Fury that has crossed into White Hot Rage, to a demand for attention as she runs you down. Perhaps she can no longer physically feel anything, not just pain, and this leads her to needing to throw herself into dangerous situations to know that she's still alive. All the nuance mere primal sound gives, you know?

Compare this to Gabranth in Dissidia: Final Fantasy, where when he gets going, you get such wonderful lines as 'Hatred is what drives me!' 'Know this pain!' among others. There's no nuance for interpretation; he's a furious, hate-fuelled warrior who is going to wreck your day.

By the Tenno being portrayed as silent, with only very vague sounds that don't necessarily colour your interpretations of said Tenno, it gives more room to make your own narrative. Is Valkyr screaming because she wants revenge, or because she wants release from the madness through battle? So long as both side could be made, the game is better for it.

Valkyr is a Warframe, a suit, a damaged and tainted one, but still just a suit.

A Tenno wearing Valkyr screams in primal rage when channeling void energy to activate the Warframe's altered abilities.

Your Tenno can most likely speak, even when wearing the Valkyr warframe that they built, but chooses not to.

The original Tenno who was tortured by Alad V when their Valkyr Warframe was stripped down may or may not be able to speak any more due to trauma, but we never see or meet that Tenno.

You do not play the Torture Victim.

I find it hard to believe that we are playing as the same person who puts on different suits being that Excalibur, an average male, would probably not fit in a Rhino, who has no abdomen. Or Excalibur, a male in general, fitting into a Sayrn suit as he doesn't have the capacitors on his chest to fit said suit.