Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

15.13 Audio Feedback

Egg_Chen

Overall I'm pleased, but some things are just not right (there is always a "but").

Reverb

It is nice, and gives real depth to the soundscape, but...

Overdone, and overused, especially on tilesets that have you indoors at all times.

In the Devstream we heard the difference moving between a large room and a smaller room.

In game it just feels like constantly being in a small room on certain tilesets.

Hopefully tweaks are incoming, because I like it, but it needs to be occasional, not constant.

Bullet impacts, whizzes and shield impacts

Again, nice, love them overall, but...

That shield impact sound needs to go, or at least be optional.

I know I am being shot, all the shield impact sound does is make it more difficult for me to hear who is shooting me.

Being peppered by Grakata's just becomes an audio mess that descends into noise rather than audio feedback.

At the very least it needs to be toned down so it does not obscure enemy location by using sound.

Grakata

Is it now silenced? I can barely hear it over the ambient noise now.

I tried to get a better listen by letting a Grineer shoot me at close range, but see above!

Overall good work, and I know you guys constantly tweak, so this is hopefully something to think about.

Disclaimer.

For the inevitable replies, yes I can use Enemy Radar to locate enemies, yes I can play outdoor tilesets, etc, etc.

The inevitable "It's you" responses are irrelevant, this is my feedback.

Edited by Egg_Chen

Reverb

It is nice, and gives real depth to the soundscape, but...

Overdone, and overused, especially on tilesets that have you indoors at all times.

In the Devstream we heard the difference moving between a large room and a smaller room.

In game it just feels like constantly being in a small room on certain tilesets.

Hopefully tweaks are incoming, because I like it, but it needs to be occasional, not constant.

+10 to this. Literally 100% of the Grineer tilesets except Forest sounds like a huge bathroom. Heck even semi-open areas in the forest tileset have way too much reverb that doesn't feel right at all. In a Corpus outpost there's an outdoor spot where you can climb up a 2-person-wide storage container (where medallions sometimes spawn) that's open on both ends, but if you fire inside it the reverb makes it sound like you're in an underground cave. I can only imagine how extreme it is in Europa, but at least that one's kinda justified.

In fact, the reverb is so prominent that it completely overshadows the BGM even when combat is kept to a minimum. I like to enjoy the music during a tight fight, but now i have to tone down the SFX volume in order to hear it as it is, i.e.: the BGM in Eris' infested ship areas is all but a near-silent humming noise now.

I know the sound team worked a ton on this awesome and immersive aspect of the game but there are times where overworking can backfire, and this is one of them. Perhaps a little toning down on the indoor reverb and downright removing it in really large areas?

Also, the sound of item pickups (resources, mods and the like) are nearly silent now when you're on the move as a result of being affected by reverb as well. These sounds should be conveyed just as they were before (loud and distinct) so we know we're actually picking something up, since they actually sound like something's being stored in the Tenno's...well, wherever they keep their loot.

Edited by Xarugas

Thanks for all the feedback.  A lot of what has been mentioned is valid.  The new reverb system is still being worked on and is a bit too loud in some areas.  The frame impact sounds, pickups, and new Grakata need a balance pass as well.  Fear not, we will be tweaking these things in the coming weeks.

Most of the weapons sound like they've been muted by comparison, so it's often not easy to pinpoint where the enemy is firing from. Guns should be loud. Reverb should be a lot softer, and as the OP said, the shield effect is often overriding the other sounds.

You know overdoing it with Reverb is like year 1 audio engineering stuff, right?

I mean - all the new sounds are great - individually. But pile them all together in the middle of a gunfight - on quality headphones - its a complete mess.

Truly I wish I could be nicer about it - I'm a devout Warframe player and I appreciate the way you guys work on this - but as an audio professional - this is just plain shoddy. I appreciate its hard to create those situations in studio - but I'm sorry it sounds at times like you hardly bothered. 

I gave up being a raver a long time ago - and this new audio experience is giving me flashbacks. Less is more guys, less is more.

Edited by MumblesMcphatty

Almost impossible to detect enemies by sounds. Got shot and no idea where is coming from... with the same "success" you can played without sound at all. Still using EAX in some games (works perfect!), and not seeing, can take down enemies, guided by the sounds, visual information is secondary.

You know overdoing it with Reverb is like year 1 audio engineering stuff, right?

I mean - all the new sounds are great - individually. But pile them all together in the middle of a gunfight - on quality headphones - its a complete mess.

Truly I wish I could be nicer about it - I'm a devout Warframe player and I appreciate the way you guys work on this - but as an audio professional - this is just plain shoddy. I appreciate its hard to create those situations in studio - but I'm sorry it sounds at times like you hardly bothered. 

I gave up being a raver a long time ago - and this new audio experience is giving me flashbacks. Less is more guys, less is more.

*SLAP*

100% agree

Just saying: We notice what you do, when you do it, and whenever you do it. We also notice when you don't.

I would strongly suggest to step up the audio work, unless you would like to hang out and have a beer. In which case I don't need to pay you.

I hope you get the idea: Start working. Start to become involved in the game and quit hanging out on your fence. We need you.

the reverb echo and dominating effect of it in more enclosed passages is wonderful. the whizzing sound is also great, but i will admit that the previous sounds and being able to locate an aggro enemy on more open maps from a far distance has been compromised a good bit.  i don't tend to play any other music or such when i play this game unless it is grind-leveling a weapon for mastery to help pass the time (and i have leveled every single weapon but a couple of them by actually using it).  so i have been dependent on sound cues when getting shot at to locate an enemy and whizzing projectile sounds versus louder and more directed effects.

i still dislike corrupted bombard's mostly-silenced missles  that are also hard to see that i don't realize are coming to me in multiple series until it is too late to take cover or such.

Really like how the effects are shaping up though it doesn't seem like the void has the effects in place. One weird thing I noticed was playing in a Grineer tile set that the reverb of a team member's shotgun was heard while he shot in a room outside a tunnel / vent I was in. Just a bit weird that it sounded like it came from inside the tunnel as opposed to the sound coming in.

I agree that it is amazing but here are my personal complaints:

Energy orb/health orb/affinity orbs pick up sounds are super weird and i'm not used to them...But will get I guess...

Shield depletion sound and effects are ok except for the animation that covers your screen nulling your visibility for a second x_x

and the worst of them all...the low health sound....tic tic tic tic....it's bad...really bad

George Archwing and crashing and random crashing in normal missions, reverb 2.0 has to be a priority.  if you need an example go to saturn/pandora and just start firing zoomed, sound has to bounce off ALL those reflective asteroids killing performance if not crashing the game.

As for weapon sounds, this is not CoD/CS/BF.  Delete all the audio you took from that weapon farm visit you did last year and start again.

Can't stand all the new sound changes. Ambient sounds like we are canned in a room.

Shield sounds and graphic effects are too distracting ( worse when met with charging hordes of enemies ).

Our warframe foot steps are too loud. Previously i like to locate where the enemies are by hearing their footsteps sound ( stealth attacks ).

Please include an option in settings to switch all these reverb and new sounds off.