Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Design Of The Currently Seen Sentients.

Stormandreas

So, as many of you already know (despite only seeing it 10 minutes ago), the sentients are somehow returning.

Here's an image of them

ixz40i.png

Cool design? You'd think so... unless you've played a very popular game called, Borderlands.

yes, Borderlands. Why? Because THIS, is the only thing I could think of when seeing that trailer

2nktgfp.png

That, is an Eridian Guardian from Borderlands 1. Quite a similar design, don't you think?

Yes, they are similar. Both have dual swords mounted on the back of their hand. Both have strange energy wings. Both have the very thin, spindly arms and hands. Both have large, armoured upper legs, then a single thin spindly lower leg.

The ONLY difference I see right now, is the Elongated neck on the Guardian, and that the Guardian has claws. THAT'S THE IT!

Edited by Stormandreas

but what is original now a days?

PS they look super different to BL guardians it is a thing our brains do, we look for something to relate it to. Like EVERYTHING ELSE in life

Edited by OvAeons

Makes sense, like I've told a few people now:

It's the same artist. Or, at the very least, it's Mynki being inspired by that artist, but I'm pretty sure the artist who made the Eridians also works or worked on Warframe.

Expectation: originality in art is still possible in this day and age, and the designs of the sentients are a ripoff of something else

Reality: originality in art is impossible because every artist in the world takes inspiration from real world beings and things and simply recreates that in his own aesthetic views. We make art by re-imagining real things into something we want to see ourselves yet cannot. Someone wanted to see a winged Lion with a snake for a tail so he made the chimera. DE wanted to create a cyborg-ish space ninja so warframe was born.

I could simply say that those guardians ripped off of a certain monster from Ragnarok online which initially grabbed the idea from Norse myth, or as another person has said, from an Angel in the Evangelion franchise. To me the sentients look like cybernetic alien angels, which fit their lore of being technologically advanced, as this usually implies that their aesthetics are less on fashion and more on function; i.e.: very streamlined and simplified, unlike the cubism of Corpus, the grunge of Grineer, or the ornamental Orokin.

Also, your comparisons are too broad to even call the designs as a ripoff. The color is different, the scale is different, the armor plating and joints are different, and their weaponry is probably different too. Besides, does it matter if the designs are similar? Why go beyond the scope of the game we play to compare it with other games we've played? It's not like the sentients' design is inappropriate for the Warframe world so far.  Our Lisets look like sting rays or sperm cells yet nobody really plans on suing DE for ripping off designs from marine life and the entire male population right? :)

Off-topic though, i saw a part of the reveal from a newly uploaded YT vid but i was wondering if a full recap of the event will be up on YT just like how other devstreams are. I wasn't able to stream the event due to work so now i'm foaming in the mouth in hype of the hype they just hyped in the hyped event. @_@

Edited by Xarugas

We have no way of knowing what class of sentients these are, they might simply be drones for all we know. Also while having a vaguely similar silhouette, the sentients and guardians are nothing alike in terms of design. If anything they closer to the promethean knights from halo 4, in terms of design.

Edited by (PS4)Pharen