March 13Th: Community Hot Topics!

[DE]Drew

Community Hot Topics  

3,234 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Sniper Rifles

Sniper rifles are a minority in the primary weapon slot, but they frequently become hot topics in the community. This week, we’ll cover them the same way we’ve covered other weapon groups in previous Community Hot Topic threads. What changes would you make to Sniper Rifles, if any? Do you think they fit as a primary weapon? Would you change their ammo drops at all? How often do you use sniper rifles? Is there a change that would make you use them more? Answer the polls and post your thoughts/comments on Sniper Rifles in this thread or in the source threads below. 

xXProCallOfDuty360QuickScope#YOLOSWAG

Thankfully that is not sniper rifles in warframe.  Please have more!  I love sniping

For AFK, I personally do not think we need it :/

I mean I've rarely ever seen in this game people who are afk to just get free missions...

I think afk should be removed as a mechanic at least because on on high tier mission you NEED to stay put and play defensive and mesa amongst others will suffer a lot if this mechanic stays....

For Frost I actually have a few suggestions:

1st power: make it have less or no damage and have it either be an AOE freeze blast or have a little aura around the target frozen so everyone entering it get 100% cold proc or something like that(I know it does it now but the proc chance and range of this aoe are not known :/ ). Basically make his first power have a wider range of enemies it can affect cause god knows one enemy is not worth the cast.

2nd power: it'd be cool to see it turned into something like oberon's floor affect power but have it be like the orokin void freeze traps and slow enemies on them.It should do no damage and the augment can be changed to add spikes and do little dps on mobs in the area.

3rd power: I have no change ideas for the globe. I think it's fine as it is.

4th power: You can make it similar to rhino's ult in the sense that it can do little damage for an ultimate and focus more on freezing enemies and keeping them frozen for longer.

TL;DR: Adjust frost for less offensive. Make frost a more crowd control frame with stun in mind, globe will wear off fast on late game so a freeze oriented power set will let him still support his friends well on high level missions and not be just that one guy who casts globe 24/7 :/

As for snipers I have to admit, I'm a fan of them but they're just not good for the fast paced gameplay this game offers so they're not as viable outside solo :/

I'd love to see snipers be less like rifles and more like the opticor and bows -> low rate of fire with high burst damage. they can have special enhancing sights that when zoomed in will give special abilities like autotargeting weak spots and gaining more procs, crits or damage multipliers compared to other weapons. That might just make them tempting enough for people to use more often :)

Currrent AFK system is a method of annoying and angering legit players.

It`s very easy to be marked as AFKer by that incredibly stupid system.I don`t know who "invented" that afk system and what that person was thinking, but i have serious doubts, that he\she was thinking at all.

I don`t like to stay on a cryopod shooting and casting like no tomorrow, and then be penalized by that good-for-nothing piece of code for "being AFK"

Do you think 2 minutes is a fair amount of time to determine if a player is AFK?

Depends on your definition of AFK. If a Mesa standing still and using ulti is afk, let's forget about the whole thing. AFK is not doing anything - which is a mighty wider range of stuff than simply standing still. This is not Cod (already too much chaos on the map actually, too easy to dispatch hordes of enemies - back in the days it was better), campers shall not be attacked like this. Especially when the game itself forces them to stay in one place (like Mesa).

Do you think AFK players should have their energy and/or rewards restricted?

With a properly working AFK detection (that doesn't do agressive false alarms on campers) it would be nice to cut back on their loot. Maybe a vote-kick YES/NO button appearing for someone that was AFK for 1 min...

In your opinion, which Frost abilities need a revision? (can choose more than one)

Frost feels less frost-y than it should.

1st ability is mediocre at best, absolutely weak compared to other first abilities like SlashDash or Mind Control. Should freeze enemies (slow special enemies and bosses) in an area instead. Also frozen enemies should take much much more damage, so freezing them shouldn't even cause any damage actually.

2nd ability could be interesting (the augment for example should have been integrated or something) if it left a trap behind that slows or even damages enemies.

3rd ability... it always looked weird and illogical. A globe of ice blocking only ranged fire? It would be better if Frost could summon blocks of ice to provide cover (or even footing). Of course enemies should be able to handle the changed pathing. If not that, then an icy storm that halves dmg of any ranged attack passing through (also slowing people inside, maybe through constant cold dmg and high chance of status), commulatively, thus if the attack passes through 2 shields, it will arrive with 25% dmg.

4th ability should be a large area freeze, or freezing aura that moves with the player that freezes (and causes them to be brittle/take more dmg) normal enemies and slowing specials (hunters/bosses).

How satisfied are you with Frost, overall?

Seeing my beloved Frost left behind pains me.

In your opinion, how do sniper rifles compare to other weapon types, overall?

Bows are neat though as enemies level up it becomes apparent which one is best. As for real snipers, they are pretty much mediocre without stuff like Primed Chamber bonuses for Vectis. The maps just don't have that much range.

How frequently do you use sniper rifles?

Since stuff like Snipetron Vandal got completely neglected and Lanka still looking the same (both the gun and the shooting effect is weak - hell, even the enemy version shoots better projectiles) while her damage is already outperformed by weirdly easy-to-aquire guns... not much. Just bows mostly - if I need precision. Or Attica - though Attica has it's own issues with dmg.

Would you like to see more sniper rifles added to the Warframe arsenal?

If they end up like the rest, no. Why not making a balanced weapon system first? Make rare weapons a tad better but overall keep a proper DPS/effectiveness ratio.

Statistics - not hard. If someone says otherwise, do not believe it DE!

How can we give feedback on Chroma if all we've seen so far is one picture? We also know that he uses energy color to tweak his powers with different elements, but thats about it. To give feedback on something we should play with it at least for a week.

As for appearance, I don't think DE should listen to that, because clearly everyone has different tastes and somebody like it and somebody don't. The people who don't like it tend to write more about it than people who like it. I still ocassionaly read people hate on the looks of Oberon, Banshee and even Zephyr, but that's not something DE should ever change, because there are tons of people who like those frames (including myself)

We know a bit more about Chroma than one picture...like you yourself had said.  Off the top of my head, we know his appearance, his unique mechanic, and what inspired DE to make him as he is.

I don't think we should limit our feedback due to lack of gameplay, considering that the many of the things players could give feedback on aren't gameplay-related.  I also don't think we should limit our feedback due to conflicting opinions.  If everyone's opinions needed to be in agreement to give feedback, then DE would receive hardly any feedback at all.

None of the existing snipers reliably crit like bows do.  This is their major weakness.  Plus, only one existing sniper takes advantage of the charged (or primed) chamber mod.

What we need is a Vectis Prime with a 40% or higher crit chance while maintaining its single round magazine.

Also, Velocitus needs to have sniper mechanics (zoom, hitscan) rather than bow mechanics since the Archwing missions are the only missions where long-range sniping is particularly useful.  The projectile travel time of the velocitus, plus its low zoom, and terrible crit mods for arch-guns, make it very poor for sniping at long ranges.

Edited by Holeypaladin

i think some one mentioned the afk should be based on the mission your in, 2 minutes is fine in a survival or exterminate where you are constantly moving but in an interception when you can end up in a stationary position when there's four of you might require a slightly longer given time considering if you have a position each you could end up on a spot without a great deal of enemy's and then suddenly finding yourself kicked because you forget to jig the pad.

you also have to remember some people do go afk for a reason e.g answer the door or nip to the toilet and it wouldn't be fair to kick them because they are answering a RL call while doing a long survival in the void, so maybe here the best option is probably a group vote on an afk player rather than the game making the decision. maybe you could use a whole new system and have the game spawn a group of adds similar to the syndicates on a player that's afk rather than kick them completely and giving them a good slap around the face to get them back in the game and when I say adds I mean high level like the healer ancients, this might persuade players who like to leech to actually do something. if I have polarized a suit id rather die trying than sit in a corner like a coward.

and something else that's mentioned is the players who move around while hiding, I have seen this lots in mercury survivals when polarizing guns suits etc. players using suits ability's to hide on ledges and places the enemy cant get to, what about them? if you do add an afk system people will only improvise to counter this.

We know a bit more about Chroma than one picture...like you yourself had said.  Off the top of my head, we know his appearance, his unique mechanic, and what inspired DE to make him as he is.

I don't think we should limit our feedback due to lack of gameplay, considering that the many of the things players could give feedback on aren't gameplay-related.  I also don't think we should limit our feedback due to conflicting opinions.  If everyone's opinions needed to be in agreement to give feedback, then DE would receive hardly any feedback at all.

It's not that I want to limit myself (or anybody) on the feedback, it's more like I can't give feedback without seeing the whole picture and details first. It's like choosing a car based on two pictures of steering wheel and headlights (insert whatever other part you want), without seeing/trying/reading about anything else.

I agree that we shouldn't limit our feedback due to conflicting opinions, but on the other hand, I always find it pointless to argue about visual aspect of something. Visual stuff should cover as much tastes as possible, so it shouldn't always take into account the voice of the majority.

Hello,

to make it short.

Sniper currently extremely underpowered .

First Sniper are meant that one off the enemy with one shot and thus have usually the Sniper less ammunition.

Second Sniper are meant for distance, so that does not come ran the opponents to a .

In Warframe it is at the moment not the case. Since even bows are better.

In addition, the Nullifire are currently there, so the sniper have no other sense, since the shields of Nullifire be repealed by the number of hits .

Sniper should be deffinitiv improved and reconsidered. And the Snipetron be made available again .

PS: translator was used

Thanks for the time

I am sorry but 2 minutes is just to short if your consider using the bath room as a legitimate AFK.

This discussion made me curious on "how long does it take for me to use the bathroom". From my desk (in my main living area) to my restroom (in my master bedroom) is about 35 steps this takes me this takes me about 20 seconds to walk, it takes me about 45 seconds to urinate and 15 seconds to wash/dry my hands then another 10-20 seconds to walk back to my desk. This had a total elapsed time of about 100 seconds or 1 minute 40 seconds, longer then i had expected and as a male I know i can use the bathroom much faster then my girlfriend.

So at 2 minutes I personally don't know any women that can use the bathroom in that time. I would like to see what to women have to say about this duration? Try timing your self on a normal bathroom brake, start a timer at your desk, use the restroom then turn it off when you sit back down and post your times.

Regardless I think the current implementation of the AFK system only being based off movement is inadequate at best and broken at worst, let alone being easily defeated by anyone that takes more then a few seconds to think about it. Do you really think a macro builder wont defeat this movement based system? So the current Macro would look something like this [/start, /press '4' 0.0, /wait 2.0, /repeat] to defeat the movement based AFK system they just need to add a few meters a movement in to their macro. The new Macro would look something like this (/start, /press '4' 0.0, /wait 2.0, /press 'w' 1.0, /press '4' 0.0, /wait 2.0, /press 'd' 1.0, /repeat), So tell me who gets punished by this system? It sure as heck isn't the AFK-Macro-Farmers, they just add a few extra commands and keep going.

Edited by Valar.Morghulis

It's not that I want to limit myself (or anybody) on the feedback, it's more like I can't give feedback without seeing the whole picture and details first. It's like choosing a car based on two pictures of steering wheel and headlights (insert whatever other part you want), without seeing/trying/reading about anything else.

I agree that we shouldn't limit our feedback due to conflicting opinions, but on the other hand, I always find it pointless to argue about visual aspect of something. Visual stuff should cover as much tastes as possible, so it shouldn't always take into account the voice of the majority.

I can understand your position, but my opinion differs.  For instance, take your car example.  If I was going to talk about a car and I was only given pictures about specific parts of the car - let's say, the headlights and tires - I wouldn't want to give feedback on the car as a whole, as that'd be overstepping what I have knowledge about.  However, I could still give feedback about what I can see - things like 'those headlights are those annoying pure-white ones' and 'those tires are bare (worn-down); they'd need to be replaced right away'.  I might not be able to comment on the car in its entirety, but that doesn't make the comments I can make right now any less meaningful.

I think that the visual aspect of something, in the very general sense, is quite important.  An app's or website's ease of use may be greatly improved or hindered due to its visual design.  Narrowing that sense down to a warframe in Warframe, it's still important - a warframe's visuals play a role in their hitboxes, DE's income (due to alternate helmets, skins, and other cosmetics, as well as those who buy the frame outright), and the type of message and content DE wants to get across to their fans.  Although a player's tastes/preferences certainly play a role, there is much more to consider when it comes to visuals.  Given the various things that something's visual aspect can affect, I do not think arguing about the visual aspect of something to be pointless.

Ultimately, my original opinion still stands - I am still curious as to why Chroma didn't make it in this community hot topics.  It certainly seems to have garnered enough attention to be a hot topic (it even has its own megathread), and we can give feedback on what we've gotten so far.  Unless DE gives a reasonable, persuasive reason as to why Chroma didn't make it in, it seems my curiosity (and suspicion) will remain.

AFK 

It hard for me to use greedy pull in t4 survival because when ispamming them and icount as afk in the game and didnt get enegy, it suck when you pass 60 minute in survival and enemy in there can 1hit kill you, ineed spam gp to prevent them from shooting my teammateand provide the enegy at same time, im not use macro but just spam press+2 using my hand, and it annoying

Edited by xdrakezz

Freeze should have a blast radius that at least inflicts cold damage that slows down a group for some time, and freeze solid the one it hit. And if it hits a wall or floor, a circular piece of "Ice Wave Impedance" forms there, slowing any who go near it.
Ice wave is alright, I like the augment for infested.
The recent snow globe buff to where the globes combine HP and each other has Frost almost back to his former defending glory, but I would be joyed to see an augment where summoning a globe puts ice armor on Frosty himself, kinda like Iron skin, but instead of making you GOD, it ups your armor substantially like a Trinity Blessing damage resistance, you can get knocked down still, and stuff like grenades, (even though grenades are BS in T4's) remove the buff, also explosion and fire damage should destroy or deteriorate it rather quickly, also if you put down another globe, it will reset the time limit on your ice armor (could be as long as the globe lasts or shorter/longer, not sure). This augment I've thought up would be affected by duration and strength, so it's good to stick along side any globe build.
Avalanche doesn't kill anything, and there's still no utility behind it. I suggest a straight damage buff, or go towards SUPPORT like this frame is supposed to be oriented, by adding boulders/avalanche debris falling on the enemies in range, causing them all to fall over, THEN freezing them, then when they un-freeze, give them all the cold status so they take a while to stand back up. So anything that DOES survive the Avalanche, is basically no longer a threat because of how slow they are, unless you don't kill them in time for the status to wear off, so using your 4th ability will be WORTH THE 100 ENERGY. Maybe if Avalanche receives an augment, it could "shatter" enemy's armor. making it better against Grineer, robots, and ancients.
Frost Prime still has no stat difference than regular Frost, and since globe is his main ability, I think giving Frost Prime a higher armor rating than regular Frost will make the prime counterpart much more valuable. I also think Frost Prime deserves a remodel. His helmet is fine, but when his body is compared to the newer prime frames, like Loki : Loki Prime, the amount of gold and unique models are lacking. His body's centerpieces are his tie, bicep exhaust vents, and the pack on his back. I think he deserves all three of those at least getting a remodel to look more "Void-esque", and being all gold. Maybe his shoes and spiky knees as well, possibly more pieces of his trench coat also. 
As a side note I think primes in general need a buff. Maybe give them two more mod slots than regular frames. They are PRIME, shouldn't they be the Alpha's in every way, compared to their counterparts?

This is Horrible it stops giving energy after 60 seconds and touching the wsad keys dosent do any thing you have to go for a jog around in a circle, this is driving me nuts i have to keep moving all the time have a god dam 60 second clock ticking away in the back of my head when i just want to stand in one spot and empty clip after clip into he endless spawn of guys coming at me in survival mode and then when i need to use a ability i have no energy and panic because my panic key dosent work.

Is this just a way to constantly have me use energy boosters so i need endless supply of boosters. Just want to spend spend spend all my credits from the mission on booster for the next mission so i end up with no credits at all i suppose ill have to get out my credit card and buy some.

Seeing im going through credits at a amazing rate for everything now.

Why Why Why 1 Frigin minute, I hate this really really hate it i want to focus on the game not a 60 second timer and im sry it takes longer than 2 mins for me to make a coffee have a crap im old and my body is not in a hurry anymore adding more stress to a high energy good stressful game turning into bad stressful unhappy playing experience.

When i afk its on purpose so i can stop staring tat the screen for a few mins give me fingers a rest in a nice spot away from spawns so my energy can fill up that's the point of going afk in heaps of games only to come back and find instead of 300 - or 450 energy all u have is 100. Feels like i am being ripped off.

I you are going to do this 1-2 min thing you have to make the energy restore quicker its to slow and only gives me 1/4 1/5 1/10 of my total amount depending on setup.

What kind of game punishes you for standing your ground this is total balls up devs Spoil Spoil Spoil a game till its rotten.

Edited by WarHeroman

Do you think 2 minutes is a fair amount of time to determine if a player is AFK?

I guess, but I think the AFK system is inherently flawed. It should be more than just a check if a player pressed WASD within the past minute or so, which can be done by botting/macros. It also doesn't address the problems with certain play styles (players using Mesa with energy restores for extended attacks, for example).

*Edit: Just today, my Trinity got stuck in map geometry during a Ceres - Semeini run. As I was the host, I didn't want to just bail out on my squad and risk host migration for them. I continued to shoot and use Blessing & Energy Vampire... until I ran out of energy. Because I couldn't MOVE, the AFK flag had turned on for me and I no longer got any energy for powers. No reward at wave 5 either, even though I was contributing and using powers/weapons. The AFK system as it stands is horribly flawed.

Do you think AFK players should have their energy and/or rewards restricted?

Personally, I think players who are flagged as AFK after two minutes should be subject to a votekick. If you do not communicate with squadmates that you need to go away for over a minute, and they're not happy with carrying your inanimate Warframe, they should have the option to remove you. I understand that Real Life happens and can interfere, but I see it like taking a sick day or extended lunch at work: You don't get a full days' pay if you don't do a full days' work.

In your opinion, which Frost abilities need a revision? (can choose more than one)

Freeze. It's impossible to hit enemies with, and really doesn't seem to do much to them when it does hit. Instead of a piddly little pellet he tosses, increase it's travel speed and please turn it into a freeze beam. The power shouldn't even really be about initial damage: it should lock enemies for 3 seconds (affected by duration mods) so that you can run up and perform a finisher/stealth attack on them.

How satisfied are you with Frost, overall?

Very disappointed. Even with parkour being as buggy as it is, this is a game all about moving fast, and Frost is the slowest Warframe (I was lucky enough to get an Arcane Vanguard helmet for Rhino, and I upgraded to Rhino Prime with increased sprint speed once I obtained all his parts). Also, Frost's most useful ability is Snow Globe, which is really eclipsed by Cataclysm in most situations with a Limbo who knows what they're doing.

Honestly, take a hint from Mortal Kombat's Sub Zero: Freeze should setup enemies for finishers, Ice Wave should create a knockdown patch for enemies, enemies frozen and shattered by Avalanche should do additional mini AOE cold/slash/puncture damage, etc.

PvP players, what do you think of the Capture the Cephalon game mode, so far?

No opinion.

In your opinion, how do sniper rifles compare to other weapon types, overall?

My favorite sniper rifle is the Opticor, which isn't even technically a sniper rifle. Again, in a game dedicated to moving fast, sniper rifles are hard to fit in. This isn't a game where you generally camp in one spot, even in Defense/Mobile Defense. Otherwise you are bait for enemy snipers (who use their weapons much more effectively and with deadlier accuracy than most players can achieve). With the changes to enemy accuracy taking into account players movement (wallrun, slide, backflip, etc), staying in one spot to snipe is a recipe for disaster. *One a side note: zoom control is sorely needed. I really wish when zoomed in with RMB, the mouse wheel would be able to zoom in/out.

How frequently do you use sniper rifles?

Outside of Opticor, never.

Would you like to see more sniper rifles added to the Warframe arsenal?

Not until current issues are all fixed, no. I'd think it a waste of development time.

Edited by DaftMeat

AFK timer is creating a bunch i neurotic clock watchers with a twitch reflex and its not reasonable at all in survival 1 hour missions so whats going to happen in a 1 hour mission those suggesting vote kicks constantly coming up for players who are using there ability's and that goes for all frames not just 1 or 2 and players using there weapons but not moving  4-5 steps in any direction i tested it and it dosent reset if u press wsad or turn around or shoot or switch weapons or use ability or chat nothing except you have to go for walk 1 meter or 2 in any direction great for poking your head around a corner only to have it shot off atm stupid idea.

You cant punish players for standing your ground and doing everything in game except running around looking like a chook with its head cut off.

Edited by WarHeroman

The AFK system as it is needs to go entirely, not be 'altered'.

That was also my problem with the vote. I dislike the whole system in it´s entirety.

Right now the system produces more problems than it solves.

Edited by VoidNomade

I would say Frost Globe needs HP Indicator !

and about Snipers adding constant Punch Through + more DMG? or more Crit.Chance? not 25% (but 30% to 50% or more) This is a sniper rifle after all!

(p.s and more firerate for lanka -i use 2 extra mods-150% for it and the charge still $#cks there is no pleasure using it at all)

The main issues with snipers is the gameplay of warframe itself, they are pretty good at huge open spaces where enemies take cover or move to certain spots, which is extremely rare in warframe, they are also better to use from high spots overlooking vast areas, again extremely rare, better tilesets that are more open would fix many problems snipers have. 
How to buff them for now? Since they are all pretty much crit weapons why not give them red crits? A bow that is a little slower but shoots straight? Sounds like a fair trade off to me, as it is now bows are way better than snipers but they should be somewhat equal with the snipers being that bit better at long range because no(less) drop off from the projectile. 
I love my Lanka, really do. Looks cool, tons of damage, but in the void (where my favorite enemies are, bright white and nice to shoot at) it falls off in damage pretty quickly where it really could do well as that slow weapon you bring out to take out the great threats (much like the opticor is now) 
Giving all snipers punch trough would also give them some more use to take on multiple enemies as well as giving them not only headshot but also chest shot multipliers (I doubt the cloned and genetically unstable grineer could handle a lot of messing with internal organs) oh and maybe adding an anti-material type sniper would be great, semi automatic and with tons of damage an explody bullets :D 
Giving them a own mod set much like shotguns could also buff them without affecting rifles. maybe a +300% damage one or a +250% crit chance one, or an exploding bullets one to realise my idea of anti material rifles abused on infantry from before. Usually out holy trinity of mods on primaries is: Serration, Split chamber, a 7/10 heavy caliber. On sniper rifles this could be turned into: the damage mod, the crit mod and the punchtrough mod. You could still otpimise your build for specific task, personal preference or mak dps, but dont make me have to use an accuracy reducing mod on a weapon that is built for accuracy... 

As for frost abilities I would love to see freeze be much more powerfull, maybe a wind instead of a beam that REALLY freezes your enemies completely and leaves them for you to finish off, and ice wave impaling your enemies heavily and freezing the survivors. 
And when youre at it can you rework frost into a female with a military hat? Anime fans will know what I am getting at

Like most 'ultimate' powers. They do not scale well with enemies the longer you remain in a game. While their should be a falloff point to determine your warframes ability to be useful, it needs to scale alot higher before hitting that critical point where you decide to extract due to the strength of enemies.

The AFK system still needs alot of love. An automatic kick function with the incentive of replacing an AFK player with a random without having to restart the game would be a welcomed addition.

Honestly is AFKing really that big of a problem? Lets stop and discus this for a second, I have been playing for a long time and played hundreds if not thousands of mission and i can honestly say I have probably only run in to a few people who actually "AFK'ed" to get loot.

I have had people AFK for a minute or few to do things they had but should people really be automatically kicked because they got up to use the bathroom and grabbed a drink? Granted it may not be the most considerate thing to do but is it really that horrible?

In regards to one extra addition to sniper rifles;

As I looked in shock at my second Deep Freeze mod ever to acquire since Open beta... I remembered how there was Armor penetration in Damage 1.0 and I wonder how much good this would do in terms of uniqueness to Sniper rifles. In this case; protection penetration.

That would mean a certain amount of shields are bypassed (pierced) to apply some percentage directly to health below, and for Armor it would mean a certain percentage of armor is ignored. It would need to be an amount noticeable but not completely out of balance. 15% ? This would also mean that armored and shielded enemies would get both the goodness; the 15% of the damage dealt going straight to health are also ignoring 15% of said armor.

*added this to his original sniper rifle point earlier in the thread, namely here *