Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Tenno Are Shapeshifters.

HillsAndTheSea

The Warframe and Dark Sector universes are not linked the way many think.

I do not consider Dark Sector lore to be canon within Warframe's lore, that would be downright silly.

excalibur proto armor almost directly states that hayden tenno is the prototype of the tenno, and he was known to also have the virus, considering it is a large component of the original game

"downright silly" or not its confirmed by DE

dark sector and warframe are definately linked, with both occuring in the same universe.

there is however a significant time gap between the two

Edited by HillsAndTheSea

Then try and explain away Hayden, the first tenno. He was infected with the technocyte virus and before Excalibur became Excalibur I'm pretty sure he was supposed to be Hayden in this game.

Just listen to this and try telling me this doesn't sound like the opening story of warframe. 

<snip>

Hayden Tenno isn't the Excalibur of Warframe, that's just a new generations of Tenno.

Hayden Tenno and the other Infested of Dark Sector are what our Warframes became. 

The Warframe and Dark Sector universes are not linked the way many think.

I do not consider Dark Sector lore to be canon within Warframe's lore, that would be downright silly.

It's a spiritual link, not a literal one.

Also, that's the first rendition of Dark Sector, not what it really came out to be.

But we know it's a canon link, the announcement post Proto-Armor proves that much.

They're connected, but, as DE said, are seperated by VAST amounts of chronological time. So while Dark Sector did have an impact on the current state of Origin, not everything from it will match up.

Personally, I hope that DE has made the bold choice and is pushing posthuman or transhuman themes to explore. Why is that so hard to accept? 

The problem typically in fiction is that the Posthuman or Transhuman is, essentially, different to humans as we are now. The number of stories out there where you have things like Cybernetics Eat your Soul are rather high. The idea of being 'more than human' unnerves people because the question becomes the line where you stop being 'human' any more.

Take Eclipse Phase, where the terminology for Humanity is Transhumanity. All because the designers want you to think about what that implies. Off the top of my head, there is a space station made out of meat that actually has people not only living in it, but the Meat-station actually has someone 'living' in that structure itself as the station. Is that individual still a part of transhumanity? In setting, arguably yes, but I imagine a lot of people are going to be creeped out by the idea.

And I think Warframe's Community has made it very, very clear how generally reticent it is that the Tenno-Warframe relationship could be any more complicated than 'just a person wearing a suit'. Even the Wiki is amusingly insistent that everything so far 'proves' there's a body in the frame, whilst not acknowledging any different interpretations.

Ultimately, the idea of becoming more than what we are now, that there's 'higher' that there is 'better', I guess seems too close to a kind of eugenics for some. Alternatively, humans as we are now are 'as good as we're going to get' which...if people honestly believe that, that's very concerning.

Course, for a bit of Irony, every religion out there that goes on about an Afterlife are archetypical examples of a kind of transhuman state: Flesh is sinful, so behave and be good to ascend to a higher plane of existence as a pure soul. It could just be that people don't feel comfortable about the idea of being 'more than human' in a sense that isn't 'spiritual'...and yet, even then, why would the Posthuman or Transhuman not be spiritual?

As I discuss in my theory thread where I consider the possibility, it could be argued the whole Ascetic and subtle spirituality of the Tenno culture may in part be because it is the aspect of humanity that remains, despite whatever their 'true form' may be.

Yes, I admit I am biased, but ultimately, this is the best understanding of why people are so...awkward around the topic.

It's not they can't see it as possible, but they don't like the potential implications.

After all, look at what humans have accomplished in our dominance of the Earth. We have built great cities, eradicated diseases or made the average life span exponentially higher than it was for millennia. We've also failed to see beyond our own greed, we neglect our fellow humans around the world over arbitrary lines on pieces of paper or creeds passed down by old soothsayers.

For all our great and terrible actions, this is humanity whilst still very limited. If we were to advance, to go beyond what we are limited by now...how would the human paradigm shift? Would we succumb to our disappointingly nihilistic and hedonistic tendencies? Or would we finally achieve the ideals we try to make ourselves live up to with such concepts as Human Rights?

What limits then exist for the Tenno? Should they be more than human, are they arguable next stage in human progression, or are they an example of people making the best of a bad situation forced upon them by callous humanity?

Did the Orokin fall because they made the Tenno no longer bound by humanity, or did the Tenno retain their humanity and cut down the Orokin for losing theirs whilst still being arguably 'human'?

At the end of the day, DE are so hesitant it leaves a lot to be desired in clarity. However, if my own writing is any indication, the more you invest into an idea, the braver you become in sticking to the story you want to tell, not the one you're told to tell. I went from 'special but human' to 'actually distinct world and races'. DE's hesitance could be indicative of a similar growing confidence and they're simply laying the ground work.

I am of course, entirely possible to be mistaken but this is the best inference I can make as to why people are so opposed to the themes.

Tenno do not have ANY relation to the T-Cyte outside of their Warframes.

They are humans who have gained supernatural powers from exposure to the Void.

• "Unburden yourself from this mortal coil, ... Join Us."
  • "We embrace you. Why do you defile us?"
  • "Why do you destroy us? We are your flesh."

are you saying the dialogue of BOTH j3 golem and lephantis has no meaning?

it directly links the tenno and infestation, and implies the main difference between tenno and infestation is (obviously) that the tenno retain some of their humanity.

Warframe is Ditto huh?

Why would I need to craft chassis, systems and helmet if my warframe ditto just copied it.

Why  do we have gender based warframes if tenno is a shapeshifter therefore genderless?

Stahp you shapeshifting freaks. Rhino does not shape-shift into a tiny nova. 

Tenno do not have ANY relation to the T-Cyte outside of their Warframes.

They are humans who have gained supernatural powers from exposure to the Void.

The Warframes though, are likely made out of T-Cyte, and the Tenno control them.

"We've been wrong all this time. Tenno do not control the Warframe's divine energy. The Tenno ARE that energy. Each Warframe you control is merely a glass shaping your furious light."

-Captain Vor

I could also reference rhino's codex entry. The tenno are far from human good sir

Warframe is Ditto huh?

Why would I need to craft chassis, systems and helmet if my warframe ditto just copied it.

Why do we have gender based warframes if tenno is a shapeshifter therefore genderless?

Stahp you shapeshifting freaks. Rhino does not shape-shift into a tiny nova.

The developers have confirmed that a single tenno controls multiple warframes and that the tenno are not energy.

Edited by RoboticApplesWithLasers

"We've been wrong all this time. Tenno do not control the Warframe's divine energy. The Tenno ARE that energy. Each Warframe you control is merely a glass shaping your furious light."

-Captain Vor

I could also reference rhino's codex entry. The tenno are far from human good sir

What vor meant was that Tenno's inside power is what powers up the warframe & the warframe is what channels your energy into different spells.

ember = fire frost = ice = volt = lighting. What Vor implied was that by switching frames you would get different set of abilities.

it directly links the tenno and infestation, and implies the main difference between tenno and infestation is (obviously) that the tenno retain some of their humanity.

Note the statement "outside of their Warframes". The Warframes, as Kril put it our 'second skin, are Technocyte, the Infested see and deal with that.

-Captain Vor

The developers have confirmed that a single tenno controls multiple warframes and that the tenno are not energy.

What that creature in the RPC was is unclear, but I think it was more a Technocyte monster - the kind of which would later be fashioned into a Warframe - rather than one of "the ones from the Zariman" - the player character Tenno we control.

And while it's true that our in-game player character switches between frames, I'll need a citation for the "they are not energy" confirmation.

Why  do we have gender based warframes if tenno is a shapeshifter therefore genderless?

-the tenno did not make the warframes originally, the orokin did, the tenno only copied them later with substitute materials.

-the warframes need to be crafted since they still need to be worn, they do not become the warframes (think water in a glass)

-the warframes are designed by humans, therefore have human features, such as assigned gender

-the warframes also serve to give the tenno a more human appearance, and make them look overall alot less like monsters,

-the tenno are not genderless, they were human at one point in time (although they probably do not even remember their original gender)

the warframes are not "gender based", they are "people based". the primary reason the warframes have gender is because gender identity is a large part of being human, and makes the warframes more recognizable as such.

Tenno are more than likely Void infused Orokin people. They probably resemble normal humans with some slight differences. The Warframe is probably made from Technocyte with other components based on ingame dialogs and other findings. If the suit is made from Technocyte, then it is possible that the suit alters the Tenno's physique when switching suits. This becomes more plausible when you consider that rampant Technocyte can drastically alter its host body. In a sense, the Tenno are not infested until they are bonded with a Warframe(if it is made of Technocyte).

Tenno are more than likely Void infused Orokin people. They probably resemble normal humans with some slight differences. The Warframe is probably made from Technocyte with other components based on ingame dialogs and other findings. If the suit is made from Technocyte, then it is possible that the suit alters the Tenno's physique when switching suits. This becomes more plausible when you consider that rampant Technocyte can drastically alter its host body. In a sense, the Tenno are not infested until they are bonded with a Warframe(if it is made of Technocyte).

If the Orokin were humans. I like to think they are but some of what the Lancer Synthesis might suggest otherwise.

Other than that, I agree. The Warframe is more than a clothing article, after all, it's just as much a part of the complete Tenno as the "demons of the Void" themselves. And if the Warframe is made of Technocyte then we have the perfect logic behind it being able to do something like that.

If the Orokin were humans. I like to think they are but some of what the Lancer Synthesis might suggest otherwise.

Other than that, I agree. The Warframe is more than a clothing article, after all, it's just as much a part of the complete Tenno as the "demons of the Void" themselves. And if the Warframe is made of Technocyte then we have the perfect logic behind it being able to do something like that.

Ah yes, I forgot about the Lancer Synthesis lore. It does leave an interesting question about the Orokin.

-snip-

The Devs only said that they would rather devote time and resources to making new frames, than making opposite genders of the same frames. They said they would consider making opposite gender frames of the same theme, but no female Volt, for example. 

Now, any how do you explain in the game that a singular Tenno switches from drastically different frames with different morphology and genders? Lets even ignore the gender question for the time being, and just consider how one goes from a Nova to a Rhino. 

The issue sticks because of the logical disconnect. If the devs made it this way to save resources, fine but how do they explain it in-game, in lore, in universe? A Tenno walks into an arsenal wearing a Nova frame and walks out wearing a Rhino. How does that work without some mechanism to change? According to the devs a Tenno/human being is in those frames. 

-snip-

So instead of shape shifting we are simply switching between bodies while still being the same character.

Is this theory plausible

This is essentially the remote controlled drone theory. It got shot down pretty hard, especially when the devs said that the Tenno where not clones, and you do wear the frames. 

Here is your evidence. Caught in the act, sneaky excalibur, you.

-snip-

Ah, the elusive gumbxcalibur. Nice.

-snip

A great deal of the existing fiction on posthumanity or transhumanism is plagued with misconceptions and pseudo-religious paradigms. Many are right to criticize posthumansim enthusiast who are just swapping out religion for a pseudo-religious/pseudo-science belief in immortality. They really just want to avoid their ego-death, but as you point out the process of being post or transhuman can redefine what it means to be human, and the ego we are so attached to, could be, a very differently looking thing. Also people assume that a posthuman is better. That is not inherently true, though it could be, they will almost certainly have superior attributes. But, maintaining or emphasizing positive human attributes, or pursuing eudaemonic goals is a choice, not an inevitability.

You are also right that this is a complex subject and that can be a harder thing to sell then say, your a space ninja now shoot those turkeys in the face.

The Arbiters of Hexus make me wonder. They reject the myth of the Tenno and a warrior race. Perhaps they are familiar with some of the methods the Orokin used to construct the Tenno into void power wielding beings. Perhaps they understand that the Warframe warrior templates that each Tenno assumes is a box that only captures a fraction of the true definition of what a Tenno could be. This seems likely to me, it points to the Tenno definitely having the potential of being something different, beyond what they are.

Edited by (PS4)MoRockaPDX

The Devs only said that they would rather devote time and resources to making new frames, than making opposite genders of the same frames. They said they would consider making opposite gender frames of the same theme, but no female Volt, for example. 

Now, any how do you explain in the game that a singular Tenno switches from drastically different frames with different morphology and genders? Lets even ignore the gender question for the time being, and just consider how one goes from a Nova to a Rhino. 

The issue sticks because of the logical disconnect. If the devs made it this way to save resources, fine but how do they explain it in-game, in lore, in universe? A Tenno walks into an arsenal wearing a Nova frame and walks out wearing a Rhino. How does that work without some mechanism to change? According to the devs a Tenno/human being is in those frames. 

The Warframe is more than a clothing article, after all, it's just as much a part of the complete Tenno as the "demons of the Void" themselves. And if the Warframe is made of Technocyte then we have the perfect logic behind it being able to do something like that.

One of the inspirations for Warframe was Guyver, which had suits that could alter the wearer (physically) to fit within them no matter what they were outside of it - even by gender. I say the Warframes work similarly, with Technocyte being the medium through which that happens.

I think that last line could be interpreted differently. Those Golem-type infested enemies are composed of Grineer and Corpus, which stem from humanity like we're assuming Tenno do. The infestation could just be refering to that commonality, instead of implying that the Tenno are Technocyte beings too.

One of the inspirations for Warframe was Guyver, which had suits that could alter the wearer (physically) to fit within them no matter what they were outside of it - even by gender. I say the Warframes work similarly, with Technocyte being the medium through which that happens.

Guyver is both an obvious and cited influence for Warframe. As you said, that mechanism is entirely plausible. I await a smoking gun.

Edited by (PS4)MoRockaPDX

Guyver is both an obvious and cited influence for Warframe. As you said, that mechanism is entirely plausible. I await a smoking gun.

I'm hoping the next Prime Lore - whenever that comes - tells us what we want to know in this exact regard. The last thing we got (RPC) was the start of something that needed to be expanded upon, I look forward to it being done so.

Edited by Morec0

A great deal of the existing fiction on posthumanity or transhumanism is plagued with misconceptions and pseudo-religious paradigms. Many are right to criticize posthumansim enthusiast who are just swapping out religion for a pseudo-religious/pseudo-science belief in immortality. They really just want to avoid their ego-death, but as you point out the process of being post or transhuman can redefine what it means to be human, and the ego we are so attached to, could be, a very differently looking thing. Also people assume that a posthuman is better. That is not inherently true, though it could be, they will almost certainly have superior attributes. But, maintaining or emphasizing positive human attributes, or pursuing eudaemonic goals is a choice, not an inevitability.

You are also right that this is a complex subject and that can be a harder thing to sell then say, your a space ninja now shoot those turkeys in the face.

The Arbiters of Hexus make me wonder. They reject the myth of the Tenno and a warrior race. Perhaps they are familiar with some of the methods the Orokin used to construct the Tenno into void power wielding beings. Perhaps they understand that the Warframe warrior templates that each Tenno assumes is a box that only captures a fraction of the true definition of what a Tenno could be. This seems likely to me, it points to the Tenno definitely having the potential of being something different, beyond what they are.

It's nice to see Aristotelian values crop up in a semi-random conversation.

As for the posthuman thought experiment, it really is a question of where we draw the line at what makes someone or something human. Especially when we have an empathic self-aware machine for comparison, such as the likes of say Data of Star Trek:TNG, or Sonny of I Robot. It is interesting that a human that gets augmented or what becomes 'less human' yet a fully artificial creature like Data is seemingly of equal importance as any other human, despite really being a machine at 'heart'.

But that's another irony in the debates. If robots can engage with the notion of the Ghost in the Machine in thought experiments to become more human, why do humans that eschew the form or change bits of it become 'less' human?

As it stands...it just seems like a strange matter. Personally, whatever the Tenno are in relation to the Human paradigm, I think that it's easier to say they used to be human...now, they are Tenno. Something different...yet nonetheless similar. Or made to be similar, as a kind of restraint or fetter: I still hold that the whole reason the Warframes are so pointlessly aesthetically designed (from a military standpoint) is because of the Orokin's arguable fetish for making stuff Fabulous but also their lauding the 'Tenno' (according to Excalibur Codex at least) as Warrior Gods...ergo, classic Anthropocentrism that the divine will be like the worshipper, to short hand Xenophanes (for the third time).

In so far as the Arbiters go, I think the main crux of their stance is that the Tenno are lauded as the greatest warriors of the Orokin. But that is all they are lauded for, before you encounter the social pariah aspects in the Prime Codices. What the Arbiters want is for the Tenno to embrace their full faculties, to advance past the warriors and assassins, to arguably reclaim their ability to craft and forge new technology and systems.

Remember, the Mod Technology are named for the Great Tenno Clans according the Devs. This means that these seven Tenno clans(Madurai, Vazarin, Naramon, Zenurik, Unairu, Penjaga, Koneksi) had a profound impact on a very universal technology system. Much like great scientists have things named after them, these clans named whole orders of mods; we can even argue the prominence of certain Mod types to be reflective of the prominence of the given clan; Madurai is highly influential in Melee mod technology, with only Naramon making a notable entry.

So the Arbiters, whilst I'm unsure how much they know of the Tenno-Warframe system relationship, likely know that we are capable of a lot more than we get up to. Granted, they're a bit of a nuisance about their somewhat unenlightened view of their being other paths to take then theirs, but I nonetheless respect their ideals...in as much as I'm interpreting correctly, at least.

Again, like always, I could be mistaken, and sorry for going on.

Yes, probably, all evidence indicates that they change their shape somehow, good post, don't pay attention to the haters than want to roleplay an anime character with k-pop haircut underneath the helmets.

And all those guys checking out Saryn's butt. Guess what? That's also Oberon's butt.

Lol, of course I understand that canonically the bosses die once. There is a timeline of events in the game. There IS also in-game lore and dev references that point to you being a singular Tenno, and that would necessitate a mechanism for different body morphology and gender. You also never change character, or at least not in any clear way. Only the change of frame. The fact that the dev's haven't said so explicitly could be for a number of reasons. 

A. The mono-Tenno theory is wrong.

B. The dev's feel like preserving the true nature of the Tenno until they release their lore.

C. The dev's are afraid of a community backlash that can't handle, for whatever reason, the Tenno having some mechanism of changing into forms fitting for each frame and all that entails.

I fear C is the case, because people are strangely, and adamantly against the notion. The game is set millennia in the future and involves space magic that should challenge the nature of everything. 

Personally, I hope that DE has made the bold choice and is pushing posthuman or transhuman themes to explore. Why is that so hard to accept? 

I've always seen switching frames as a mechanic, not the body physically changing.  If you're playing as an Ember then you've always been that Ember.  When you switch to a Rhino, you've always been that Rhino.  

I don't think the dev's are afraid of community backlash.  I can guarantee you that 99.9% of the playerbase wouldn't care.  The forums represent a small minority of actual, active players.

And DE doesn't have to make the "bold choice of pushing posthumanism and transhumanism to explore", they're already doing that.  The Grineer encompass both those themes, being a race of genetically deteriorating cloned cyborgs.  No faction in this game is called "human" everything is posthuman and the Tenno are supposedly transhuman.   

I've always seen switching frames as a mechanic, not the body physically changing.  If you're playing as an Ember then you've always been that Ember.  When you switch to a Rhino, you've always been that Rhino.  

Considering that Hidden Messages and Limbo Theorem make explicit reference to the act of wearing (Hidden Messages, Lotus: Wear this warframe in honour of these memories) and being 'occupying' (Limbo Theorum, Ordis: Operator, please take care when you occupy this Warframe), the narrative is that of the Warframes being interchanged by a singular Tenno narrative.

That's what the narrative has established, but the mechanic of this change has not been established in a clear way. Hence all the dispute.

But it's no longer possible to dispute that we are changing which series of Warframe we're equipping at any given time without basically ignoring stated lore as of this point in time.

Feel free to do just that, of course, just appreciate that Poly Tenno theory has been taking a quite a few knocks over the Quests so far.

Man one day i really have to read that manga.

I sometimes wonder if Aspect Warriors from Warhammer 40k could have also been an inspiration for Warframes?

For those unfamiliar with that setting. It features a species of space elves called Eldar. An aspect warrior is an Eldar who completely immerse themself in the role of a certain type of legendary warrior.

They essentialy lock away their true personality and memories, in order to fully become the personality of that type of soldier. 

It's basicly like a martial form of method acting.

Since the aspect warriors wear body covering armor and the Eldar are androgyn they can easily asume the role of a female or male aspect regardless of their own gender.

It wouldn't be farfetched to think that Tenno work similar. A tenno assumes the role of a Nyx or Excalibur the same way one would asume a role in theater.

Actualy that would explain how there could have been "original" Tenno, like what Limbo, Mirage and Chroma are described as. These were the first of their kind and after their deaths they became roles for other Tenno to play.

... Wouldn't that make Tenno space kabuki warriors? Okay doesn't have the same ring to it as space ninja.

Man one day i really have to read that manga.

I sometimes wonder if Aspect Warriors from Warhammer 40k could have also been an inspiration for Warframes?

For those unfamiliar with that setting. It features a species of space elves called Eldar. An aspect warrior is an Eldar who completely immerse themself in the role of a certain type of legendary warrior.

They essentialy lock away their true personality and memories, in order to fully become the personality of that type of soldier. 

It's basicly like a martial form of method acting.

Since the aspect warriors wear body covering armor and the Eldar are androgyn they can easily asume the role of a female or male aspect regardless of their own gender.

It wouldn't be farfetched to think that Tenno work similar. A tenno assumes the role of a Nyx or Excalibur the same way one would asume a role in theater.

Actualy that would explain how there could have been "original" Tenno, like what Limbo, Mirage and Chroma are described as. These were the first of their kind and after their deaths they became roles for other Tenno to play.

... Wouldn't that make Tenno space kabuki warriors? Okay doesn't have the same ring to it as space ninja.

That actually sounds fuckin' badass, and could even maybe be the reason for the strange shifting of personality we can we when shifting frames - the animations stance differences - and... well, ALL of Valkyr.

That actually sounds fuckin' badass, and could even maybe be the reason for the strange shifting of personality we can we when shifting frames - the animations stance differences - and... well, ALL of Valkyr.

Indeed, It would explain the shape, the notion of personality fragments in Warframe, pretty much everything.Also it given the player full reign over the personality of their Tenno, Are they the Stoic-Warrior-Monk regardless, a blank slate only given meaning while in a Warframe, a trickster who feels more at home in Loki and Mirage, a barely contained ball of fury who voluntarily subjects themselves to Valkyr or Rhino. All the while allowing the player to reject certain personas and play their character in a Warframe without any of the suggested traits if they want to.

IMHO from a story and DE-intention perspective it's the ideal solution.

Edited by SilentMobius

I hope that DE has made the bold choice and is pushing posthuman or transhuman themes to explore. Why is that so hard to accept? 

Because it's bloody stupid

DE should not listen to the minority of players that want Tenno to be some type of weird alien shape-shifting genderless, creature thing. 

The ONLY basis that theory has is in game mechanics which as 

Siubijeni

clearly stated is not a basis for lore and shouldn't be