Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Tenno Are Shapeshifters.

HillsAndTheSea

I do not understand you at all.

Yes, each of us is a single Tenno. No, you do not change character. Yes, you change frame. That does not mean you change shape and gender. The way the character is displayed is a product of how there is only one model per frame. DE has said that there will remain one, single model per frame. This is because as a player, we do not design a Tenno. This is not Skyrim, where a single model for either gender is morphed to fit different body types. This is because it's a large multiplayer game and they cannot devote the resources to that, not like a single-player-only game like the Elder Scrolls series can. That's also why customization is limited to colorization and a few simple attachments--those aren't very processor-intensive. The lack of consistency and customization in this regard is confirmed to be due to resource and asset limitations, not anything to do with lore.

The frames being different genders and body-types is a product of their theme and diversification. A single model per frame necessitates frames of varying phenotypes, otherwise you'd have a huge outcry from the community. "Why are all of the frames [male/female/skinny/musclebound/black/white]?" Switching frames is a game mechanic associated with this simple fact. There is no gender selection option when you join Warframe. There is no set of sliders to determine your height, weight, and the rest. There is no male model of Nova. There is no female model of Volt. So there is no way to remain consistent. Would you like the game to be another ten gigabytes and be twice as hard to run? More models, model-morphing, and everything that would be required to explicitly show that your theory is wrong would demand that sort of change.

Everything in-game and related to developer statements on the topic points to you "being a singular Tenno," yes. But it all also points to there not being a mechanism to change shape. The two are not mutually exclusive. The one does not imply the other. The one does not necessitate the other. I do not understand how the two have become connected in your head. It is a logical fallacy.

I'd just like to address this for a moment.

It's quite clear that, in-world, the Warframes have a defined, single, external appearance, the Lotus describes the 'Frames in terms of gender. Mirage is a she, Chroma is a he, Limbo is a he, etc etc. At the same time Ordis is quite explicit about you-the-player-Tenno inhabiting the newly re-created Limbo Warframe. So here we have two facts.

1. There is one single Tenno per player (As illustrated by all progress mechanics and in-game dialogue)

2. Warframes have a defined, single, gendered shape in-world (As recognized by the Lotus applying gendered pronouns to them)

Hence the conclusion is that Tenno can occupy any Warframe regardless of the demonstrated shape of the suit.

Hence, some form of shape alteration must be in play. If your notion of shapes-are-different-but-DE-doesn't-show-that-because-engine were true and in-world there was indeed a femme-form Excalibur when a female Tenno was piloting an Excalibur frame then gendered pronouns would not be used in-game for these suits. Hence the fixed shape-including-gender-appearance for a specific Warframe is an in-world truth.

Hence why your interpretation, labeling the shape of the Warframes as a game-play conceit, is unlikely and mostly ignored. We are all quite aware of gameplay conceits, however these things work in a specific framework of suspension of disbelief and the details surrounding the Tenno and their warframe do _not_ match that framework, there are too many in-game references to the details of Tenno, Warframe, Shape and Identity for it to be a gameplay conceit.

Edited by SilentMobius

-snip-

somehow, i forgot to mention another key piece of evidence.

alad v, mesa, mutalist alad and zanuka.

yes, the warframes are more than simply clothes, but the suits cannot be the source of the infestation (and by extention its power) since the tenno

are the ones who actually power the suits, and zanuka has all the power of a tenno while being in a suit clearly made by alad v

"the suit doesnt make the man, the man makes the suit"

this is why non tenno cannot wear the warframes, and why the grineer and corpus never figured out how they worked.  the only person to figuring it out was alad v, and eventually lead to the conclusion that the tenno and infestation share their power, leading to his own infestation, and being successfully able to control a warframe.

somehow, i forgot to mention another key piece of evidence.

alad v, mesa, mutalist alad and zanuka.

yes, the warframes are more than simply clothes, but the suits cannot be the source of the infestation (and by extention its power) since the tenno

are the ones who actually power the suits, and zanuka has all the power of a tenno while being in a suit clearly made by alad v

"the suit doesnt make the man, the man makes the suit"

this is why non tenno cannot wear the warframes, and why the grineer and corpus never figured out how they worked.  the only person to figuring it out was alad v, and eventually lead to the conclusion that the tenno and infestation share their power, leading to his own infestation, and being successfully able to control a warframe.

Bear in mind Zanuka was "augmented with Warframe components!" This in tern points towards the Warframes having abilities, as Zanuka demonstrates a large variety of Tenno abilities herself. Alad V didn't "make" anything, so much as mixed-and-matched what was already there.

Your statement reeks of the "all of none" fallacy to me. That either the Warframes MUST be the source of the power OR the Tenno MUST be the source of the power. The Tenno bring to bear the power of the Void, a supercharger for the abilities of the Warframe. The two complement each other in a way that isn't quite known yet, but I see it as lining up like this:

The Warframe brings to bear various abilities and physical power.

The Tenno brings to bear a powerful energy source to fuel them and a mind to pilot the suit.

If anything, having worked with Warframes and later descending into Infestation would support the theory of them being closely related to the Technocyte. Similarly Vor was obsessed with claiming our power as a cure for his people, and ended up becoming Void himself. I'm not saying we're energy with that, only that both became twisted in a way that is linked to what about us they were obsessed with.

Why does everyone think that switching the frames actually changes the character's gender, build, etc?

Do you think that about switching characters in... Super Smash Bros? Castle Crashers? Etc?

No. Mario doesn't shapeshift into his brother Luigi. Zelda doesn't grow a d*ck and turn into Captain Falcon. It's just a game mechanic. Do you ever customize the appearance, gender, or build of your Tenno, the person wearing your suits? No. The game doesn't have a separate model of each frame for each gender. It doesn't differentiate. DE has said they aren't going to introduce that sort of thing. Canonically speaking, I'm 99.99% sure our characters... our operators do not change anything but the frame they are wearing.

dude, smash bros? really? we literally see characters refer to our different frames as the SAME tenno.

If anything, having worked with Warframes and later descending into Infestation would support the theory of them being closely related to the Technocyte. Similarly Vor was obsessed with claiming our power as a cure for his people, and ended up becoming Void himself. I'm not saying we're energy with that, only that both became twisted in a way that is linked to what about us they were obsessed with.

I still content that the entirety of Orokin technology (Morphics and by extension Forma) is based on the Dark-Sector Era technocyte "living metal" that was produced when infecting organic beings, given what was talked about in livestream 10

I made a post about it a while ago:

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/202045-what-defines-the-orokin-and-what-rougly-did-they-look-like/

Here's the quote:

Warframe takes place waaay beyond that timeframe. Ridiculously after, If you can imagine something like that, something that integrates itself with the body or could be re-purposed as technology this idea of metal that is also alive and changeable and so on, and the way it channels energy, this is deja vu, but we talked about, when we talked about a sequel ages ago we were talking about taking a big leap forward in time and saying "what were the societal repercussions of this idea"
Edited by SilentMobius

I still content that the entirety of Orokin technology (Morphics and by extension Forma) is based on the Dark-Sector Era technocyte "living metal" that was produced when infecting organic beings, given what was talked about in livestream 10

I made a post about it a while ago:

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/202045-what-defines-the-orokin-and-what-rougly-did-they-look-like/

Here's the quote:

And I agree with that, but if that was all there was to it, one would expect the Warframe to contort to the shape of the Tenno wearing it, but since that doesn't seem to be the case there appears to be something more going on than JUST that.

And I agree with that, but if that was all there was to it, one would expect the Warframe to contort to the shape of the Tenno wearing it, but since that doesn't seem to be the case there appears to be something more going on than JUST that.

Perhaps it is the case. 

As somebody explained earlier in this thread, what we see in game (different shaped suits) is just a game mechanic that represents the suits as they were on the original Tenno who wore them. But in reality (but not in game since it would be too much work to implement), the suits actually do contort to the shape of the Tenno wearing it. 

I sometimes wonder if Aspect Warriors from Warhammer 40k could have also been an inspiration for Warframes?

For those unfamiliar with that setting. It features a species of space elves called Eldar. An aspect warrior is an Eldar who completely immerse themself in the role of a certain type of legendary warrior.

They essentialy lock away their true personality and memories, in order to fully become the personality of that type of soldier. 

It's basicly like a martial form of method acting.

Since the aspect warriors wear body covering armor and the Eldar are androgyn they can easily asume the role of a female or male aspect regardless of their own gender.

It wouldn't be farfetched to think that Tenno work similar. A tenno assumes the role of a Nyx or Excalibur the same way one would asume a role in theater.

Actualy that would explain how there could have been "original" Tenno, like what Limbo, Mirage and Chroma are described as. These were the first of their kind and after their deaths they became roles for other Tenno to play.

... Wouldn't that make Tenno space kabuki warriors? Okay doesn't have the same ring to it as space ninja.

Ha, it's nice to someone else who uses a Roles and Actors analogy for the Warframe - Tenno relationship, respectively.

Yay similar thoughts and approaches. Albeit mine is derived from Greek classical theatre and the use of masks (I like masks...), but still, similar positions are nice to see.

Perhaps it is the case. 

As somebody explained earlier in this thread, what we see in game (different shaped suits) is just a game mechanic that represents the suits as they were on the original Tenno who wore them. But in reality (but not in game since it would be too much work to implement), the suits actually do contort to the shape of the Tenno wearing it. 

Well I'd say that's a horrible route to take, as it takes "story gameplay segregation" to a FAR to grand extreme.

Bear in mind Zanuka was "augmented with Warframe components!" This in tern points towards the Warframes having abilities, as Zanuka demonstrates a large variety of Tenno abilities herself. Alad V didn't "make" anything, so much as mixed-and-matched what was already there.

Your statement reeks of the "all of none" fallacy to me. That either the Warframes MUST be the source of the power OR the Tenno MUST be the source of the power. The Tenno bring to bear the power of the Void, a supercharger for the abilities of the Warframe. The two complement each other in a way that isn't quite known yet, but I see it as lining up like this:

The Warframe brings to bear various abilities and physical power.

The Tenno brings to bear a powerful energy source to fuel them and a mind to pilot the suit.

Might I ask which "Tenno" abilities the Zanuka has? It doesn't seem to have any, just rockets and lasers and bombs and the ability to teleport/capture Tenno (which isn't inherent to Tenno). It seems like the Zanuka doesn't have Tenno powers, but instead, has generic powers and perhaps some powers (but not Tenno ones - again, generic ones) that the Warframe provides.

My thinking is that the Tenno themselves hold the ability to actually use and create the raw energy/raw power, and the Warframes themselves hone that raw energy into the abilites. 

Well I'd say that's a horrible route to take, as it takes "story gameplay segregation" to a FAR to grand extreme.

How so? I'd say it's both more interesting that we play as how the original Tenno who bore the suits looked, and it's great that it's a lot less work for the devs. 

I'd just like to address this for a moment.

It's quite clear that, in-world, the Warframes have a defined, single, external appearance, the Lotus describes the 'Frames in terms of gender. Mirage is a she, Chroma is a he, Limbo is a he, etc etc. At the same time Ordis is quite explicit about you-the-player-Tenno inhabiting the newly re-created Limbo Warframe. So here we have two facts.

1. There is one single Tenno per player (As illustrated by all progress mechanics and in-game dialogue)

2. Warframes have a defined, single, gendered shape in-world (As recognized by the Lotus applying gendered pronouns to them)

Hence the conclusion is that Tenno can occupy any Warframe regardless of the demonstrated shape of the suit.

Hence, some form of shape alteration must be in play. If your notion of shapes-are-different-but-DE-doesn't-show-that-because-engine were true and in-world there was indeed a femme-form Excalibur when a female Tenno was piloting an Excalibur frame then gendered pronouns would not be used in-game for these suits. Hence the fixed shape-including-gender-appearance for a specific Warframe is an in-world truth.

Hence why your interpretation, labeling the shape of the Warframes as a game-play conceit, is unlikely and mostly ignored. We are all quite aware of gameplay conceits, however these things work in a specific framework of suspension of disbelief and the details surrounding the Tenno and their warframe do _not_ match that framework, there are too many in-game references to the details of Tenno, Warframe, Shape and Identity for it to be a gameplay conceit.

Well maybe that's because Lotus was referring to the original Tenno who wore them? And not the Warframe itself? A suit can't possibly as far as I know have it's own gender.

Might I ask which "Tenno" abilities the Zanuka has? It doesn't seem to have any, just rockets and lasers and bombs and the ability to teleport/capture Tenno (which isn't inherent to Tenno). It seems like the Zanuka doesn't have Tenno powers, but instead, has generic powers and perhaps some powers (but not Tenno ones - again, generic ones) that the Warframe provides.

My thinking is that the Tenno themselves hold the ability to actually use and create the raw energy/raw power, and the Warframes themselves hone that raw energy into the abilites. 

Ahh, so sorry, I made a horrible typo error there. That should read "Warframe abilities", not Tenno.

All in all, I agree with you, the Tenno produce raw energy from the Void and the Warframe uses that energy - literally, Energy - to pick power its abilities, rather than, say, eating flesh of others, though one could argue that's something the energy and health orbs represent.

How so? I'd say it's both more interesting that we play as how the original Tenno who bore the suits looked, and it's great that it's a lot less work for the devs. 

It just feels wrong to say "oh, yeah, the Warframes do this totally cool thing where they contort to the shape of the wearer no matter what they are" and then blow a raspberry in our general direction with the "but you'll never see that!" addendum. It's just... wrong for anyone to do, and so far nothing seems to have suggested the Warframes, as Warframes, take a shape rather than what they're see like in-game and in-cinematic.

Well maybe that's because Lotus was referring to the original Tenno who wore them? And not the Warframe itself? A suit can't possibly as far as I know have it's own gender.

I agree with this, based on my "Tenno codenames" theory - seen in the names of the Warframes and the helmets some wore.

As for suits having genders: technically, no, but they CAN be anthropomophized to resemble certain genders, which would explain why there are "male" and "female" suits. Because, let's be honest, something with a codpiece or boobs is A LOT less jarring than something we can't tell is male, female, or anything in between - uncanny valley and all that, we find comfort in the familiar, however crude that familiar may be.

The lotus talks about the warframe in our arsenal, She is not referring to some other Tenno, just the suit.

We refer to ocean going vessels as "she" I see no reason why a battlesuit with a defined form wouldn't be referred to by the implied gender of the shape.

The lotus talks about the warframe in our arsenal, She is not referring to some other Tenno, just the suit.

We refer to ocean going vessels as "she" I see no reason why a battlesuit with a defined form wouldn't be referred to by the implied gender of the shape.

Curious that she would focus on the Warframe so, though, rather than the Tenno pilot...

I'm not one to mutter conspiracies about the Lotus... But...

Hmm... Maybe Vor was right? Maybe Lotus is just a false prophet? A military leader, yes, and a fairly good one (courtesy of her being a Guardian, imo) but one who does not herself know our deeper mysteries...

The "Tenno" are dead infested bodies exposed to the void.

Because of that they can tap into void energies. To be able to use that energy the Warframes were built to channel it into specific ways.

Because the "Tenno" are still infested beings they are still suffer from the disadvantages of the normal infested, they are uncontrollable. See the Rhino Prime Codex. 

These new Void Infested are then killed and then WE are put in to drive that whole machine.

What are WE?

WE are BABY SENTIENT! DUN-DUN-DUUUUUUUNNNN!!!

As seen by the Sentient trailers, the Sentient are some energy being that control an outer shell.

And as seen in the new Lancer lore, the Orokin were digging for something. They were, in fact, digging SENTIENT HATCHERIES!

That was that light that popped out and killed everyone. A baby sentient. We dont know yet what the Orokin were originally doing with baby Sentient but they found a way to brainwash them and put them to use.

This is why we rebelled after war ended. Cause some of us found out that we were slaves fighting our own!

Eventually some deadman's switch must've gone off and it turned us all off. Whoever was left put us in ships and sent us away.

This is why now everyone is trying very hard to keep the past away from our eyes. Cause if we learn the truth it's going to end up like the last time and everyone is going to get killed. But this time we dont know if there is a deadman's switch.

Tenno do not have ANY relation to the T-Cyte outside of their Warframes.

They are humans who have gained supernatural powers from exposure to the Void.

The Warframes though, are likely made out of T-Cyte, and the Tenno control them.

^ Correct

Can we have all the kids who don't even bother to read the lore sit down and go look it up. All these jumping to conclusions and theory's when we already know the answer.

Edited by xFrostKnightx

It just feels wrong to say "oh, yeah, the Warframes do this totally cool thing where they contort to the shape of the wearer no matter what they are" and then blow a raspberry in our general direction with the "but you'll never see that!" addendum. It's just... wrong for anyone to do, and so far nothing seems to have suggested the Warframes, as Warframes, take a shape rather than what they're see like in-game and in-cinematic.

Not necessarily magically taking the shape of the wearer (although it's not implausible), but moreso (or moreco, if you will ;D) being built around the Tenno wearer. Afterall:

"We built a frame around them. A conduit of their affliction." - Excalinerf's Codex Entry. 

I agree with this, based on my "Tenno codenames" theory - seen in the names of the Warframes and the helmets some wore.

As for suits having genders: technically, no, but they CAN be anthropomophized to resemble certain genders, which would explain why there are "male" and "female" suits. Because, let's be honest, something with a codpiece or boobs is A LOT less jarring than something we can't tell is male, female, or anything in between - uncanny valley and all that, we find comfort in the familiar, however crude that familiar may be.

This is true. But I just don't feel like DE (and honestly - no disrespect to DE or anything here, but this just seems most plausible based on the conditions WF was made under) has and always has had everything relating to lore planned out so perfectly that they may have not inserted a pronoun in a line said by the Lotus which would contradict some lore (which they themselves have admitted to sometimes even making up as they go along).

Read my above reply. 

Edited by Jahadaya

Not necessarily magically taking the shape of the wearer (although it's not implausible), but moreso (or moreco, if you will ;D) being built around the Tenno wearer. Afterall:

"We built a frame around them. A conduit of their affliction." - Excalinerf's Codex Entry. 

This is true. But I just don't feel like DE (and honestly - no disrespect to DE or anything here, but this just seems most plausible based on the conditions WF was made under) has and always has had everything relating to lore planned out so perfectly that they may have not inserted a pronoun in a line said by the Lotus which would contradict some lore (which they themselves have admitted to sometimes even making up as they go along).

Yes and, again, that is poorly worded statement on my part. But it still feels WRONG to say something THAT COOL is happening, only to then say "but you'll never see it happen yourself!"

This is also true, but 'making up as they go along" isn't instantly a failure. As long as what you make up builds upon further lore rather than retconning it, everything is fine. There are a number of ways this could go, sadly the one I'm seeing at this very moment - and as these discussions continue - always points to us being literally what Vor claimed us to be.

As unpleasant as it is for many of us, everything seems to point to energy beings inhabiting full bodies made fully of Technocyte flesh, with even the Lotus not knowing truly what a Tenno is.

But we will have to wait and see.

EDIT: I'd also like to go on record as saying that the internet connection saying your connected when nothing is actually working for you is worse than having teeth pulled.

Edited by Morec0

-snip-

Good point about the Arbiters. They may well be referring to the social role being artificially limited to warrior. Tenno could perhaps be great scientist, leaders, philosophers, explorers, for all we know. 

-snip-

I seriously doubt it is not a serious concern. Just anecdotally, most of the people I talk to about this are at best ambivalent toward the idea. Beyond that we can just look at the lack of serious of popular fiction, in any media, that explores these subjects. Even while science, technology and a ever more globally connected world is pushing us into the very real considerations of these philosophical issues most of society isn't willing to even enter a discussion on the matter.

-snip-

-snip-

Yes, for me this falls under my totem theory. 

-snip-

-snip-

Pretty refuted by the in-game lore and how NPC's refer to your character.

-snip-

And here I do see a gameplay conceit being applicable. DE has been, possibly, saving the reveal of the true nature of the Tenno for a big reveal, in whatever form that takes. For all we know, when the orbiter is revealed it will have an zoo full of Tenno waiting to go to bat. Or, we will see the physical mechanism that is used by the Tenno to change Warframes. Hence the waiting game. 

i would say this is probably not the case.

i would also say that it makes me giggle that all of the 'not this not that' theorists whove had their theories crushed in one way or another still cling to the fact that a dev once said on a livestream that dark sector was a 'spiritual successor'.

that was before they even knew themselves what they wanted to do or where they wanted to go with the idea of warframe history/lore.

the devs also said around that same time that it was definitely the same universe only thousands of years later. 

i have a couple if ideas as to what the warframes and tenno are, and in no way does dark sector become unrelated.

you have tenno, excalibur, burston, grineer, a warframe, a glaive, a liset. Even simaris talks about how old of a model ordis is.

here are my two ideas.

a) warframes are living symbiotic prosthesis that are built (as the codex says) around us. not that we put them on. THEYRE BUILT AROUND US. that to me sounds like ' youre not changing clothes '

b) the tenno are in fact infected with the technocyte. after all we are called tenno which is the family name of a guy who was able to endure tcyte infection. the infested hive mind is able to communicate with us. the codex says 'a conduit of their affliction' ... whats our affliction? and i think of means made of not simply a conducter that conducts.

c) if the codex is just spitting old news, and things have changed since the information in the codex.. then : we are probably a tenno trapped in stasis somewhere in the orbiter compartment using hivemind telekinesis to control waframes that do not in fact have a tenno body inside. (altho getting cut in half and seeing bones or bleeding wouldnt make sense) in rhino prime codex the proto rhino doesnt have a human being in it as its feasting on the murdered lab peoples. the proto comes into range of the children from the zariman (young tenno)(perhaps the originals ((primes)) ) and immediately goes from being a rabid machine to a conscious entity.

d) the tenno inside was exposed to technocyte (how we have powers at all) and then the void shaped them into their own unique extremes giving us the variety of abilities we have.

e) if the tenno are inside the warframe and never leave the suit, the reason we never eat or poop is because the warframe suit and the tenno are using some sort of process similar to photosynthesis, consuming the void radiation off of the tenno inside and converting that into the needed energy to stay alive.

f) the tenno in the warframes are just subjects from the lowest class system of the orokin that were put through rigorous testing and experiments and as a result of being lab rate guinea pig gladiator slaves, we rebelled and killed the people repsonsible for our misforuntate existance.

i have to go eat but ill end with this for now

not only did demegan say that the two games were inextricably connected upon the release of proto excal, but now we too have proto glaive.

aside from that, it is in my opinion that the end of hayden tennos generation would be at the beginning of the rise of the orokin empire. empirical rule can last hundreds if not thousands of years, and that the current time frame is the same universe only so far into the future that the only things that remain are the bits of us and the technology from that era that we find.

Edited by T4LCOMX

Curious that she would focus on the Warframe so, though, rather than the Tenno pilot...

I'm not one to mutter conspiracies about the Lotus... But...

Hmm... Maybe Vor was right? Maybe Lotus is just a false prophet? A military leader, yes, and a fairly good one (courtesy of her being a Guardian, imo) but one who does not herself know our deeper mysteries...

I'd honestly like to see a choice down the road somewhere where we continue trust the Lotus, or chose instead to follow Vor. He must have some insights about what we are/were now that he's become an entity of the void. 

I love how everyone forgot how Devs specifically stated that both Dark Sector in Warframe are same universe, but Warframe is happening a long time after Dark Sector. It's not spiritual sequel, it's same universe, same virus etc. And it was specifically confirmed. Cold war ended, eventually there was no more USA or Russia, only one Orokin empire. We're talking tens of thousands years here. And you ask what happened to the gas. It was lost after fall of the Orokin. OP is likely right.