Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Rip My Computer.

Sixty5

Approximately 27 hours ago whilst playing skyrim my PC began to repeatedly crash.

I did a little bit of diagnostic work and tried some minor repairs, but had no real luck with fixing it.

In fact all it could do was boot up and instantly crash to a black screen.

Today after finishing work a bit early I grabbed my gear and set to work, a system restore, and a couple of refreshes later I nailed down the issue, the GPU drivers.

For demonstration purposes, this is what happens when I log in now

http://youtu.be/1V6mKpeByE0

As soon as it boots up, the thing crashes.

It's getting to the point of me getting salty.

So if you are buying/building a pc, try to avoid AMD. They have blind arthritic 80 year olds for drivers.

If you want to read the steps I have taken etc read here

Restarted pc

Cleared CMOS and restarted

Ran disc check

Ran virus and malware scan

Ran memory test

Reseated memory

Reseated GPU

Reseated CPU fan

Windows startup repair

Reinstalled drivers in safe mode

Checked event logs for issues leading up to crashes

Disabled services involved in prior events

Disabled dedicated graphics

Attempted to reload dedicated graphics

Ran system restore to a restore point from the week before

Ran system refresh

Ran a repair of windows installation

Reinstalled chipset, graphics and CPU drivers

Sacrificed dog to RNGesus

Cried

Repeated driver installs

I'm going to give it another crack tomorrow, but I'm getting pretty close to saying 'screw it' and buying an Nvidia card for it.

Rip my PC.

Edited by Sixty5

You're just in time for a 980 ti.

Brilliant.

I'll sell my car, buy one for half as much and use the rest of the dosh to build a fancy new pc with TWO 980ti's in it.

-I'm a a pleb-

I can still enjoy 720p 30fps gameplay on my older laptop, so HA

AMD (formerly ATI) Catalyst drivers have always been about as reliable as a potato.

As a computer engineer, me and and some of my colleagues always say that AMD is the "Cheap Beta" and Nvidia is the "Expensive Final Product". 

Although AMD tend to push the bleeding edge when it comes to tech, their hardware (and drivers) are not wholly reliable, and have a thermal emission per square inch approaching that of a nuclear reactor.

Meanwhile Nvidia is more expensive, but tends to be a lot more reliable and not as much of a power hog and heat generator.

AMD (formerly ATI) Catalyst drivers have always been about as reliable as a potato.

As a computer engineer, me and and some of my colleagues always say that AMD is the "Cheap Beta" and Nvidia is the "Expensive Final Product". 

Although AMD tend to push the bleeding edge when it comes to tech, their hardware (and drivers) are not wholly reliable, and have a thermal emission per square inch approaching that of a nuclear reactor.

Meanwhile Nvidia is more expensive, but tends to be a lot more reliable and not as much of a power hog and heat generator.

Nvidia Master Race

I've Personally always preferred Nvidia, given that their chipsets tend to support the games that I like to a greater extent than AMD ones.

Likewise AMD processors tend to be meh in my opinion. Sure they have more cores and higher clocks than equally priced Intel ones, yet in benchmarks Intel does just as well as them, with fewer driver issues.

The reason I currently have an AMD card in my computer is because that's what was there already, and I didn't feel like spending 600 bucks and waiting 3 weeks to get an Nvidia chip from eBay.

Plus given that fixing stuff like this is my job I figured it wouldn't be an issue, and it really wasn't up until now.

I might try and run the whole thing off of the intergrated Intel chip for the time being, though I'd have to work out some way of preventing the other one from booting up at all.

I guess I'll just start looking at a full new build.

Hopefully I can get a good deal on parts through work (Dat cost price tho)

Thanks for the heads-up on AMD. I currently have an R9-270x, maybe I'll upgrade to a 970 when the price drops.

I'd recommend you not get a 970.

Try and get a 980 instead, if there's any way you can afford the extra cost. The 970 is advertised as having 4Gb of VRAM, but only 3.5Gb of that is useful. The other 500Mb is considerably slower, which means big slowdowns whenever that piece of RAM is called on. The technical term is "split memory design," but you will notice when the card tries to use that slower chunk of VRAM.

Even worse, a lot of people bought two for SLI and multi-monitor / large-monitor / 4k setups. At resolutions larger than 1080p you can probably expect to have slowdowns in unexpected places.

I made the mistake of getting one before doing the research, and it feels very much like a budget version of the "proper" 980. I'm going to have to make another major GPU upgrade to get ready for Star Citizen, which is an upsetting prospect.

TL;DR - Nvidia lied about the card's technical specs, were hit with a class action lawsuit and offered partial refunds to people who bought GTX 970s. I regret getting one, but not enough to spend a couple hundred extra on a 980.

From my point I had both Nvidia and ATI ( back when ATI was in the business ).

It began with a humble Geforce 4 mx i believe and it ran great, a bit outdated even in the time i got it, but it ran perfectly with no bsod's or any driver issues. Then I got Asus's ATI radeon 2000 something in between ( i forgot the model ) it had problems with drivers constantly and often in certain games the PC freeze itself and you need to restart it ( Heroes of might and magic 5 specifically ).

Then I got a MSI's Nvidia Geforce 7000-or 8000 gt series can't remember the model name. It ran pretty amazing, no driver issues no bsod's and it ran some games pretty good even below recommended specs. Sadly I fried it during long period of being under load and I was afk for a bit so I got a not-so pleasant surprise.

After all that mess I got a Asus's radeon HD 2000-3000 series. And boy it was a jumbled mess of a drivers, a lot of BSOD's display shutting down and not responding until restarts and whatnot, also it seems that it under performed compared to my Gefoce 7000-8000 GPU a bit.

After all that nonsense, I gathered some money, bought a brand spankin' new PC with Asus's Nvidia GTX780 in it and it works flawlessly, no driver issues, no BSOD's no freezes, or any other BS.

I am not saying go and buy the most expensive GPU, but if you had a lot of driver issues and that kind of stuff, just switch to green team once. Sure AMD is a cheaper gamer GPU and best bang for the buck, but drivers are awful and most of the times it makes experience much more frustrating. I would rather pay a bit extra to have everything working as intended and never to to have any issues with it. + AMD cards are much more of a power hogs, louder and hotter due to demanding more power. Hopefully with the new HBM stackable VRAM they might do something, or they will go bankrupt and probably bought out by another company ( and this happened to ATI already ).

They seem to repeat history again...