Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Serious Question About The Grineer Napalm And Bombard.

PhantomRen

The devs have mentioned in a previous livestream IIRC that AOE explosive weapons like those would take away from the Warframe abilities, so they're not too keen on the idea.

But moving forward, who knows?

The devs have mentioned in a previous livestream IIRC that AOE explosive weapons like those would take away from the Warframe abilities, so they're not too keen on the idea.

I was fairly certain that was about the mechanic of grenades, for the most part. Besides, the Paris has explosive arrows. I'm sure it won't be that big of a deal if we could blow up those pesky toxic ancients. Right?

To be fair, exploding arrow heads, rare as they may be, may be seen as a workaround to 'directly' explosive weapons.

Will we ever get their weapons?

I would like a yes or no answer from the developers. (Or anyone who can provide enough citation on the matter if it was discussed before.)

I'll only say "probably not" because i avoid saying "never". So probably not. We're space ninjas who have no business wielding heavy weapons.

I'll only say "probably not" because i avoid saying "never". So probably not. We're space ninjas who have no business wielding heavy weapons.

And yet we have miniguns and huge hammers :D

But as for explosive weapons, I would speculate that they will not be included. Not for a very long time anyway.

Excuse me, but the Gorgon, Snipetron, Hek, Kraken and heavy melee weapons would like to have a word with you. What's this about Warframe not having huge weapons?

Excuse me, but the Gorgon, Snipetron, Hek, Kraken and heavy melee weapons would like to have a word with you. What's this about Warframe not having huge weapons?

By "heavy weapons" i mean high-yield/high-damage weapons. It's not exactly a matter of weight, but a matter of profile. Tenno are "civilized" warriors, and napalm and missile launchers are "barbaric" weapons.

I don't exactly need to mention that we get the job done just fine without needing to resort to such barbaric weaponry xD

By "heavy weapons" i mean high-yield/high-damage weapons. It's not exactly a matter of weight, but a matter of profile. Tenno are "civilized" warriors, and napalm and missile launchers are "barbaric" weapons.

I don't exactly need to mention that we get the job done just fine without needing to resort to such barbaric weaponry xD

Because nothing says "civilized" like ripping someone's head off with a shotgun or cutting off all their limbs. Yup we're all real gentlemen here *takes a sip of tea from the cup*. :D

Edited by Shaemhameforash

I was trying to figure out what you meant by heavy weaponry. I couldn't tell whether it was size, or caliber. But it's usually the bigger weapons that are stronger. However, it seems that weapon advancement is done by making something more powerful with less resources and effort, to make something smaller be just as strong as efficient as it's counterpart even if this means making an identical weapon lighter due to tactical enhancements.

But barbaric? What exactly makes these weapons barbaric? Who are you to say that the Tenno aren't nothing but a bunch of bloodthirsty butchers? Are you implying that murder and war aren't "barbaric" in itself? Are you trying to insinuate that we don't already have several methods of killing our enemies in violent fashion? Are you imposing some sort of stealth ideology or principle that this game doesn't even have yet, all because of one impromptu theory? Are you imploring me to just leave all of these factors and bits of information behind, all because you want to see Warframe's image differently from others? Are you willing to improvise a way for all of this to work, or do you simply think that your impetuous post of impotence impeaches my imperial, impassioned intellect as your anonimity has blighted the imposture that runs through your mind?

In all seriousness, the true purpose of this thread is to devise a new weapon to use for exterminating the infestation. Sometimes, our jobs can and will get ugly. And the infestation is just as "barbaric" as one can conceive. Sometimes you have to fight fire with fire, and creating something brutal for those heartless demons is just what you need to save the day. The only cure for the infested is death. And I demand more ways to eviscerate and eradicate them from our universe. Think what you want, one day I'll create my own weapon built for annihilating the infestation, maybe I'll even make my own congregation for purifying all worlds of this plague.

I think Scindo would like to have a word with you.

Non barbaric my tailbone. Do you even know what barbaric means, or are you just sprouting random words you've learned in the history class?

Edit: Or braton vandal.

Edited by Kordy

Really nice atmosphere here, folks =). You do know we're having a nice conversation about a videogame based on fiction, right?

Yes, i said that i think rocket launchers and napalm launchers are weapons that aren't civilized for Tenno to use.

"It seems that weapon advancement is done by making something more powerful with less resources and effort, to make something smaller be just as strong as efficient as it's counterpart even if this means making an identical weapon lighter due to tactical enhancements." is pretty much what i mean, PhantomRen, and the Tenno have done that. We have exploding arrows and an entire frame dedicated to setting things on fire.

Barbaric weapons, as far as i am concerned, are weapons that are hard to control. They are clumsy and indiscriminate, and people who use them have no concern about who they are going to hurt, be them other warriors or just innocent civilians. They are also weapons not only of war, but also of terror. Terrorism was a great asset of any culture considered "barbaric", like the nordic warriors and the modern era pirates (by modern i mean classical pirates, not the african ones. Although they also use plenty of terror).

Tenno don't use fear as a weapon, they use efficiency. Sure we use powers that are high-yield from time to time, but those are for special ocasions (since they cost a lot of energy), and powers != wielded weapons. We have to assume that Tenno warriors have absolute control over their powers, while AoE weapons are, like i said, very prone to collateral and unintended damage, something which is unefficient and not at any rate representative of the Tenno culture.

As for melee weapons, they are only as barbaric as it's wielder, since that with skill the damage that they cause can be easely and efficiently controlled and applied, no matter how big and heavy they are. Which, again, is not the same as heavy AoE ranged weapons.

In the past, Tenno were well known for their discipline and adhering to a code of honor. Chivalry was a cornerstone of society. - Official Site

PS: Oh and i forgot to mention. I am indeed basing all of this on the collected lore that we know about the Tenno, and am not trying to assume anything.

Also, and i'll admit, basing it a little bit on lore bits on the translation sheets that aren't in-game yet, but those are prone to change before they get implemented so i'm taking all of them with two grains of salt.

Edited by Renan.Ruivo

Because nothing says "civilized" like ripping someone's head off with a shotgun or cutting off all their limbs. Yup we're all real gentlemen here *takes a sip of tea from the cup*. :D

Hahaha, you earned my plus +1 for just pure entertainment

Boar, Hek and Gorgon are all heavy weaponry so it is a bit unfair to knock a Nade Launcher and a Rocket Launcher for that reason.

I, for one, could see it working out fine.

-Napalm's Weapon released as Grenade Launcher.

-Has a 6 grenade load.

-Grenades effected by ballistic arc.

-Grenades can flinch some enemies.

-Bombard's Weapon release as Rocket Launcher

-Has a 2 Rocket load.

-Rockets lock on, taking 3 seconds. Has a long reload.

-Rockets knock down most enemies. Will flinch large ones.

-Both weapons come with a unique effect - the explosives will take on special properties based on the highest level elemental mod on the weapon. Fire Rockets spreads a DoT with its AoE. Cryo Rockets freeze much longer. Electrical Rockets will stun enemies often, like a flashbang.

The only thing to do past that is decide what is considered reasonable damage. 

I should really have used a different word than "heavy" weapons ^^. By that i meant weapons that are purposedly inefficient and disregarding of what they hit and/or kill. Weapons that cause excessive collateral damage. To me that's highly uncivilized and not at all representative of the Tenno culture, which is why i called them barbaric. Weapons like these are generally weapons of terror.

Some might say "But Ruivo, the Orokin developed the TCV in the first place, and that is as barbaric as it can get!" Well, yes. But there's a point there. The Orokin did it, not the Tenno.

It's like blaming the US Navy Seals for nuking Japan. Tenno are part of the Orokin culture, and what the Orokin does as a whole does not necessarely should reflect on the Tenno, who are the "elite warriors" of the Orokin. For all we know, the Tenno Grandmasters were against the use of the TCV against their enemies, but were overruled by the Orokin leaders.

To make it really easy to understand, just try to compare the Tenno to the Jedi. Jedi use lightsabers which are indeed greatly capable of inflicting barbaric butchering but, like i said, what makes a melee weapon barbaric or civilized is it's wielder. Jedi also used other weapons, including the Force as a power (even Lightning), but they didn't had to resort to rocket launchers or flamethrowers because they were efficient killers and warriors who got the job done just fine without having to use indiscriminate force on a regular basis.

With all that in mind.. one thing i'd like to see is the ability to "pick up" the heavy weapons used by Bombards and Napalms to use on ocasion, if and when push comes to shove.

I'm all for it but it will make defense missions quite easy in the end. Not because it would be wise for everyone to carry it and in a long run equipping normal weapons would pay off more but just take Pistol Scavenger with you and at least one friend, preferably three friends and you have a beast pistol that rarely runs out of ammo like the Lex. So sure you are one down in gun power in most situations but if you have someone like Vauban who is not front line guy, you can support your friends with him and Lex easily, then if your team gets overwhelmed, you simply toss your abilities and that grenade launcher and problem solved.

The problem in this is that it neutralizes the only true thing that can destroy your defense missions fairly easy and because of that, it would be easy to get to level 30 and above and get a bit better loot from the rewards as well as getting a lot more mods just because you had that one weapon with you. Even if the gun has 10 ammo and doesn't get more than that during any game, it is still too powerful in those mission.

Edited by BETAOPTICS

Okay, it seems I have to fight nonsense with nonsense.

So let me get this straight. You think weapons that are difficult to use are "barbaric", innocent lives aren't harmed during war, war is not barbaric in itself, the science of an explosion is terrorism, explosives aren't used for breaking through obstacles and vehicles, none of our warframes have destructive abilities, and that this is all one big Disney game where everyone assaults each other with keyblades with no violent aspects at all.

Then you say that the technocyte virus wasn't an unstable creation that got out of control, but instead an evil orokin creation and we're all a bunch of edgy space rebels that were apparently supposed to be disposed of. Yet you claim to know a lot about the game's lore, even though it looks like your knowledge is that of a short essay. You keep using those "what if" arguments to back up your claims. Moving to another point, you say that damage can be controlled depending on who deals said damage. Yet you think that explosive weapons are too "barbaric" to be controlled. And finally, you have the excuse that our existing "barbaric" weapons weren't made by the Tenno, therefore we're all a bunch of peace-loving space hippies because you're too blind to see the truth about war, you don't realize that advancement is inspired by existing technology and you're comparing this silly argument to World War II and Star Wars.

And on top of that you're telling me my argument is invalid because this is a video game. Oh, and you contradict yourself at the very end by even suggesting that we have this idea as a feature. I thought these weapons were too barbaric? Clearly Warframe is about shooting clowns with super soakers from a christian video game company because someone thinks we should go by the book.

Whatever drug you're on, I don't think it's worth $250.

You know the Tenno are on the same side as the people who caused the infested right... if making infested isn't barbaric I don't what is...

Using weapons of defeated foes is how you win a war. Ninja's were as dishonourable as they come, their only good skills were poison and running away. You seem to be confusing "Space Ninja" with "Ancient Japanese constrained by bushido samurai"

Okay, it seems I have to fight nonsense with nonsense.

So let me get this straight. You think weapons that are difficult to use are "barbaric", innocent lives aren't harmed during war, war is not barbaric in itself, the science of an explosion is terrorism, explosives aren't used for breaking through obstacles and vehicles, none of our warframes have destructive abilities, and that this is all one big Disney game where everyone assaults each other with keyblades with no violent aspects at all.

Then you say that the technocyte virus wasn't an unstable creation that got out of control, but instead an evil orokin creation and we're all a bunch of edgy space rebels that were apparently supposed to be disposed of. Yet you claim to know a lot about the game's lore, even though it looks like your knowledge is that of a short essay. You keep using those "what if" arguments to back up your claims. Moving to another point, you say that damage can be controlled depending on who deals said damage. Yet you think that explosive weapons are too "barbaric" to be controlled. And finally, you have the excuse that our existing "barbaric" weapons weren't made by the Tenno, therefore we're all a bunch of peace-loving space hippies because you're too blind to see the truth about war, you don't realize that advancement is inspired by existing technology and you're comparing this silly argument to World War II and Star Wars.

And on top of that you're telling me my argument is invalid because this is a video game. Oh, and you contradict yourself at the very end by even suggesting that we have this idea as a feature. I thought these weapons were too barbaric? Clearly Warframe is about shooting clowns with super soakers from a christian video game company because someone thinks we should go by the book.

Whatever drug you're on, I don't think it's worth $250.

Well.. okay. If this thread is that important to you i'll concede. Hava at it. Sorry if i ofended you, or anybody else.

I will however recommend that you try to chill out and keep your "passion" at bay when dealing with people in this forum. We are all playing the same game, and i did not appreciate the tone that both you and some other people in this thread used simply because i had an opinion to voice.

I am not on drugs, and did not appreciate the comment.

You know the Tenno are on the same side as the people who caused the infested right... if making infested isn't barbaric I don't what is...

I know. Just as the UN is on the same side, and it's headquarters are located inside the only country to ever used a nuclear weapon to kill civilians. Like i stated on a post on the first page, the Tenno being part of the Orokin culture does not means that they approved of the TCV use.

Using weapons of defeated foes is how you win a war. Ninja's were as dishonourable as they come, their only good skills were poison and running away. You seem to be confusing "Space Ninja" with "Ancient Japanese constrained by bushido samurai"

https://warframe.com/game/factions/tenno

By the description it says that some Tenno indeed shed their old ways to become mercs. But that does not change the fact that as a rule of thumb Tenno adhere to a code of honor and chivalry. We joke that they are space ninjas, but nowhere on whatever official description of them it says that they are ninjas, samurai, MMA fighters or whatever. They are Tenno.

Edited by Renan.Ruivo