Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The New Utility Mod Slot, It's Actually Backwards Thinking And A Band Aid Solution

7grims

In the short run, and narrow view of this new mod slot, hurray, yes, its a great thing.

In the long run, and analyzing the new mod slot, this is completely backwards game development.

The great idea of the mod system, was to offer players choice, diversity, and customizable playing styles.

The current mod system, is a basic stats upgrader, were you only equip mandatory and essential mods, to enhance all the basic stats that are needed for quality of playing, surviving, and dps.

The new utility mod slot, should actually be all the mod slots, because that is the concept of the mod system.

Or else we dont need a mod system, and a upgrade skill tree would have suffice.

After the community and even DE, have talked and recognized the "serration" problematic, this new slot is a band aid, and a way to evade dealing with the clearly broken mod system.

The serration problematic isn't actually about serration, its about all the mods that are essential and unavoidable just like serration, almost all the frames need redirection and/or vitality, and some steal fiber.

If serration would be removed, multishot and heavy caliber mods would become "the mod" everyone uses and is in all weapon builds, they would quickly replace serration, and the same problem would still be there.

The serration problematic, is about all those frame mods, weapon mods, companion mods, that are so essential, no one haves a chance to equip all the others.

Augment mods are also the only true mods (modifiers), these are the only ones that actually change how you play and how you choose to face a battle field, but they become non-usable, since if you don't occupy all your slots with basic dps and resistance mods you cant fight/live long enough to even use your enhanced powers.

So, these "serration" mods, are 5% of the mods ever used all the time, making all the rest of the 95% useless, and never equipped for lack of slots.

So why does DE releases so many mods? If there is no other choice but to use the fundamental ones.

Why was the skill tree system replaced by a mod system? If mandatory stat upgrading mods clashes against players choice and diversity.

TLDR:

All mod slots should be utility slots, since the mod system, was meant to be a for diversity and players choice.

The utility slot, is an indirect statement, of DE's backward thinking, evading all the mod problems, and a band aid to the obvious broken mod system, that both the community and dev's have acknowledged in the past.

baking_potato_1327428423.jpg

This is posted under general discussions, so, it wont have any suggestions/ideas/solutions.

Not under "why u hate free mod slots?" nor it is a "this is mah solution, common, swallow it"

If you think i'm just complaining, realize allot of ppl expressed the same problem, and DE admitted it and said they would find a solution.

-------------------

EDIT:

The PVP mods versus PVE mods

ArbitUHM pointed out something truly amazing.

The PVP mod system.

Were there is no redirection/vitality/serration/etc mods compromising player choice.

If those mods were in PVP everyone would quickly settle for using all the meta mods, the ones increasing the basic stats to simply become superior.

Whiteout them, we all select the few PVE mods that have been PVP approved, and meanwhile the PVP team keeps increasing the exclusive PVP mod collection with tons of mods that are balanced, and introduce different ideas/effects and choice.

​(just pointing out how much healthier the mods system is there, not suggesting a implementation of those mods, nor a full analysis, because those are crucially different structures)

--------------------

EDIT:

Formula to make builds

Not stating this is the ultimate formula, its an example.

And it shows how the mod system, is closer to a skill tree then being a real mod system.

1 or 2 of these mods are always in your frames:

(few ppl that state they use none)

vitality

redirection

steel fiber

vigor

(7 or 6 remaining slots)

from 3 up to 6 of these mods are always in your frames:

intensify

blind rage

transient fortitude

stretch

overextended

continuity

narrow minded

(2 or 3 remaining slots)

1 or both these mods are in all your frames:

fleeting expertise

streamline

(1 or 2 slots remaining)

I named 13 mods for 6 out of 7 slots.

And we get 1 or 2 slots for utility, etc. (not counting the future utility slot yet)

What is the use of the other 100+ existing frame mods? It's an entire mod system for 13 mods.

Edited by 7grims

I agree with you there, I've been "anti-serration" since the idea started surfacing on the forums.

The utility slot is better than nothing though.

Maybe in 2016, the "year of fixing the screw-ups" we will see Mods 3.0...

I agree with you there, I've been "anti-serration" since the idea started surfacing on the forums.

Yes, its very useful, i love it, since i do have rush in all my frames.

But this new feature reflects on DE's amateur work, and bad decisions/solutions.

Edited by 7grims

Yes, its very useful, i love it, since i do have rush in all my frames.

But this new feature reflects on DE's amateur work, and bad decisions/solutions.

I agree with all points except for all frames needing to use some form of HP,Shield,Armor mod. 

They are definitely not go-to mods on every frame.

very true +1 

"The great idea of the mod system, was to offer players choice, diversity, and customizable playing styles.

The current mod system, is a basic stats upgrader, were you only equip mandatory and essential mods, to enhance all the basic stats that are needed for quality of playing, surviving, and dps."

i see this new slot as a baby step towards the right direction.

Edited by (PS4)GameflowPRO

no.

i want a proper mod system.

how would it work? would all of the stats that are required mods just be integrated into frames? Would we gain a ton of mod slots so we have the required ones, and the playstyle changing ones?Or would we just get weaker by getting rid of some of the required mods?

how would it work? would all of the stats that are required mods just be integrated into frames? Would we gain a ton of mod slots so we have the required ones, and the playstyle changing ones?Or would we just get weaker by getting rid of some of the required mods?

I know this question isn't directed at me, but I'll have a go at it if you don't mind:

Integrate some stats into frames/weapons, nerf the rest.

We're too powerful, pressing 4 to kill half the enemies in the mission.

Yep yep. I'd bet the vast majority of players are simply just going to put Rush into that utility slot. So much for diversity, eh? Giving more slots seems great but not if the mod selection is poor. I don't mean quantity I mean quality. 

I feel like this is just dudes complaining for the sake of complaining. About something that isn't even a thing yet.

So what if 90% of my loadouts is just gonna have rush in that slot. That's just part of my playstyle. I like going fast. If you play differently, you won't use Rush in there. It's all according to how one plays the game.

And since DE is getting rid of coptoring, this for me is something nice to at least ease the pain of having to go a fair bit slower now.

Removing "essential" mods has been talked about for a while, but as that isn't likely to happen, one option might be to revalue mods closer to their true worth, and be less restrictive on mod slots.  This would require adjustments to mod points given as well.

eg:  say you get 4 points per level, doubled to 8 for potato.  Level 30 = 120 / 240.

Then "essential" mods get their drain values increased, say 80-100 points (so slight more expensive than currently).  

Damage mods get a straight 4x increase to 28-44 (so no net change).

Utility mods, would then be quite cheap to throw on, and you could have 4+ utility mods for the price of one Serration, Multishot, etc

Given this wouldn't work with the current 8 mod-slot system, it'd either need to be something like "mods less than 15 points don't use one of the slot limits", or something.

Yes i've not thought this through properly, before it gets pulled apart, but something to rebalance drain costs may make utility mods more appreciated also.

Instead of just complaining draw up an actual system that would accomplish what you are wanting that wont break the gameplay. Be productive in your ranting!

I have pointed out the problems.

Giving ideas, would diverge the talk to pros and cons, and to those against and those who like it.

De wouldn't grab any idea either way.

But this isnt a feedback tread, nor a suggestion, its general discussion.

But feel free to suggested ideas anyway, who knows, you might accidentally take ur own advise, instead of just stating all this was just a complain.

I feel like this is just dudes complaining for the sake of complaining. About something that isn't even a thing yet.

So what if 90% of my loadouts is just gonna have rush in that slot. That's just part of my playstyle. I like going fast. If you play differently, you won't use Rush in there. It's all according to how one plays the game.

And since DE is getting rid of coptoring, this for me is something nice to at least ease the pain of having to go a fair bit slower now.

I think it's because serration and multi-shot tend to be required in around 100% and 99% of all builds, respectively.

I have pointed out the problems.

Giving ideas, would diverge the talk to pros and cons, and to those against and those who like it.

De wouldn't grab any idea either way.

But this isnt a feedback tread, nor a suggestion, its general discussion.

But feel free to suggested ideas anyway, who knows, you might accidentally take ur own advise, instead of just stating all this was just a complain.

You can point out problems all you want but that doesnt make a solution to said problem appear like magic either

You need solutions to fix problems

yep, basically this

definitely gotta +1 OP and agree with my clanmate on this

but at least they're doing something about it

would definitely like to see the base dmg mods for weapons and 'false-choice' mods all removed from the game or reworked into 5-6 different versions of each to give some choice

not hating on the warframe mod selection as bad as the weapons tho, becuz more hp/shields armor is not mandatory, considering that there are many ways to stay alive but relatively few ways to kill enemies [technically speaking]

No one is putting your playstyle down nor are they trying to make you play a certain way. The problem is that the utility slot will pretty much be "rush" and  very rarely be used for anything else. It's the same problem as Serration. It's a "must have" mod in pretty much every build. Sure you can choose NOT to use it but most of the time you'd be gimping yourself because there's no viable alternative to replace it.

Personally, I can't think of any other mod to put in the utility slot other than Rush, so like you, it will be in 90% of my builds. I kind of wanted more options. DE said that they're adding more utility mods though, so here's hoping that they're as good as Rush.

Edited by EetNotErn

No one is putting your playstyle down nor are they trying to make you play a certain way. The problem is that the utility slot will pretty much be "rush" and very rarely be used for anything else. It's the same problem as Serration. It's a "must have" mod in pretty much every build. Sure you can choose NOT to use it but most of the time you'd be gimping yourself because there's no viable alternative to replace it.

Personally, I can't think of any other mod to put in the utility slot other than Rush, so like you, it will be in 90% of my builds. I kind of wanted more options. DE said that they're adding more utility mods though, so here's hoping that they're as good as Rush.

I thought handspring was the goto?