Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Windows 10: Skip The Update Queue

Letter13

Hey folks,

Just giving a heads up that if you're impatient to start updating your PC to Windows 10 (like I am), you can actually skip the update queue so you don't have to wait for Microsoft's go-ahead to start downloading/installing Windows 10.

Before we begin, this will only work if you have received a Windows 10 popup on your Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 PC. This popup will ask you to reserve your copy of Windows 10, and will walk you through the steps of reserving it. Once your copy is reserved, you will get a little Windows 10 icon in the right side of your task bar like below (circled in red):

3e0d471b20c0f20929d2ee1dd5cf0bad.png

If this icon is present when you start your system up and use it normally, Congrats! You qualify for a free Windows 10 upgrade.

Now, to actually skip the queue, head over to this page(microsoft.com), scroll down, and select either the 32-bit or 64-bit version of the tool depending on your configuration.

Once downloaded, you have 2 options: either upgrade through the tool or create installation media (download the ISO and flash it to a USB drive to make a USB installer). Don't worry about entering a key, it should automatically authenticate itself as long as you are upgrading a PC with the Windows 10 icon in the bottom right of the task bar (like above).

Enjoy!

I'm curious why they're doing the queue and a manual download... Interestingly, I reserved on my PC before I reserved on my Surface Pro 2, but my SP2 got through the Queue and I'm having to use the download for my PC -_-

The only reason I haven't installed it yet is because it sounded like download now and pay later. So is it absoultly free or is it pay later sort of thing?

It's free. I think I understand the confusion though. For the first year, they will give it away for free for qualified users. After that year, even if you met the requirements initially but chose not to upgrade, you have to pay for it. But it's totally free after that first year as long as you already have it.

Edited by Ceryk

Yo, Letter13 I'm taking you're quite more knowledgeable with PC stuff, so maybe you'll (or someone else here) help me.

I'm running pirated Win7, but sill I got the win10 icon, and I heard that even if I upgrade it, it will nag me about buying original. Then I heard that if I take part in "Windows 10 insider" program, I'll get full, legal version for free. I signed up (probably too hasty), but later I decided to buy 8.1 (it's cheaper) and then upgrade it. And I started to be paranoid. Will MS track me when I upgrade from 8.1? What if I download ISO for clean install from their site, the same one I downloaded when signing up for insider, will they still track me? What's the difference?

And with 8.1. They say that after upgrade to 10, I will be able to do clean install without the key, because it will know it's me. Does that mean licence is connected to my mother board? What if I decide to change my parts after one year of free upgrade expires? Will I be able to activate it with my 8.1 key, or will I have to buy Win10?

Somebody help me! Reddit don't reply, MS forum don't reply, no one replies! I'm getting bonkers!

d4a.gif

-snip-

it should automatically authenticate itself as long as you are upgrading a PC with the Windows 10 icon in the bottom right of the task bar (like above).

Tbh a lot of ppl have problems activating it after the download and upgrading from 7, 8 and 8.1.

Myself included. Had to restart PC multiple times and after the last one I just hit "activate" over and over again like 20 times.

Finally it did activate. Their servers may be a bit overloaded.

So if U encounter it just keep trying.

Or wait patiently. If U can. I couldn't. Almost started activating it by phone :P

Hey folks,

Just giving a heads up that if you're impatient to start updating your PC to Windows 10 (like I am), you can actually skip the update queue so you don't have to wait for Microsoft's go-ahead to start downloading/installing Windows 10.

Before we begin, this will only work if you have received a Windows 10 popup on your Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 PC. This popup will ask you to reserve your copy of Windows 10, and will walk you through the steps of reserving it. Once your copy is reserved, you will get a little Windows 10 icon in the right side of your task bar like below (circled in red):

3e0d471b20c0f20929d2ee1dd5cf0bad.png

If this icon is present when you start your system up and use it normally, Congrats! You qualify for a free Windows 10 upgrade.

Now, to actually skip the queue, head over to this page(microsoft.com), scroll down, and select either the 32-bit or 64-bit version of the tool depending on your configuration.

Once downloaded, you have 2 options: either upgrade through the tool or create installation media (download the ISO and flash it to a USB drive to make a USB installer). Don't worry about entering a key, it should automatically authenticate itself as long as you are upgrading a PC with the Windows 10 icon in the bottom right of the task bar (like above).

Enjoy!

Thank you for the information. Was getting annoyed at the fact that the update window was showing me that it was all green, but nothing was happening.

Due to the failures of win 8 and 8.1 being extremely unstable and bricking itself constantly (greyscreen on the logon screen, updating GPU drivers (as well nvidia and AMD sides)), I am staying with my for MSSQL perfectly built, for C++ fitting, average multimedia streaming operation system. Gonna wait till the "1 year free upgrade offer" almost expires, along with its, for sure existent, OS breaking bugs fixing.

Yo, Letter13 I'm taking you're quite more knowledgeable with PC stuff, so maybe you'll (or someone else here) help me.

I'm running pirated Win7, but sill I got the win10 icon, and I heard that even if I upgrade it, it will nag me about buying original. Then I heard that if I take part in "Windows 10 insider" program, I'll get full, legal version for free. I signed up (probably too hasty), but later I decided to buy 8.1 (it's cheaper) and then upgrade it. And I started to be paranoid. Will MS track me when I upgrade from 8.1? What if I download ISO for clean install from their site, the same one I downloaded when signing up for insider, will they still track me? What's the difference?

And with 8.1. They say that after upgrade to 10, I will be able to do clean install without the key, because it will know it's me. Does that mean licence is connected to my mother board? What if I decide to change my parts after one year of free upgrade expires? Will I be able to activate it with my 8.1 key, or will I have to buy Win10?

Somebody help me! Reddit don't reply, MS forum don't reply, no one replies! I'm getting bonkers!

-snip-

If you legitimately bought and are currently running Windows 8.1, you're fine. They're not going to track you. Just hold onto the Windows 10 key you received for the copy of Windows 10 you got from the insider program.

Microsoft isn't going to track you or kill your copy of windows because you used a pirated version of Windows 7 in the past. Regardless of how you upgrade to windows 10, you can use tools like ProduKey to view the software keys of Windows software installed/authenticated on your machine (such as the current key your OS is using, microsoft office, etc). It's suggested you write this key down and keep it somewhere safe in case you need to reinstall Windows 10 from scratch and need to enter your key.

anyone know how compatible win-10 is with older games? need mah Tiberium Sun and return to castle Wolfenstein...

also how compatible is Warframe? does it run slower or better on windows 10?

Runs better on W10, although it depends on your hardware.

W10 is better optimized and uses resources better than Windows 7 did. Windows 8 and 8.1 also managed resources better but countered it by hogging more for itself (yes, because of the stupid metro UI as well). And that was one of it's goals, since W10's goal is to be better at multitasking (hence the multiple desktops feature it stole from linux and mac systems introduced), it simply has to be better at using what it has without leaving a huge footprint.

All that is to say: If your computer runs Warframe poorly, upgrading to W10 won't help. But if it runs Warframe with a passable performance then you'll definitely notice an improvement.

The only reason I haven't installed it yet is because it sounded like download now and pay later. So is it absoultly free or is it pay later sort of thing?

Free upgrade for 1 year. After that year, to obtain Windows 10, you must pay like everyone else.

The upgrade is basically a 100% off coupon.

Edit: Oh, and upgrades are free. Forever. The upgrade is free. For 1 year. After that, you're just another wallet.

Edited by Sidathe

If you legitimately bought and are currently running Windows 8.1, you're fine. They're not going to track you. Just hold onto the Windows 10 key you received for the copy of Windows 10 you got from the insider program.

Microsoft isn't going to track you or kill your copy of windows because you used a pirated version of Windows 7 in the past. Regardless of how you upgrade to windows 10, you can use tools like ProduKey to view the software keys of Windows software installed/authenticated on your machine (such as the current key your OS is using, microsoft office, etc). It's suggested you write this key down and keep it somewhere safe in case you need to reinstall Windows 10 from scratch and need to enter your key.

OK, thanks, but it's weird. When I was subscribing to insider program, the site only told me to log in, check ok on legal stuff, and after that I was redirected to download page for ISO. I didn't get any keys. Does that mean I didn't get in or what?