Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

We Are Definitely Not Alone In The Universe, That's Impossible.

Institute-Marksman

I just realized this while thinking how we would survive in the sewers. Cuz, let's look:
The sewers are probably one of the most inhospitable places to be, on Earth. It's filled with chemicals dangerous to us. But bacteria don't look at it that way.

Hydrogen sulfide, ammonia, methane, carbon monoxide and sulfur dioxide.

Let's enhance those:

Hydrogen(sulfide). Hydrogen, in combination with oxygen, creates water. Something all life on Earth needs to survive. Sulfur has very little uses, exept being plastic.
Methane. Comprised of a carbon atom and four hydrogen atoms. Carbon is the basic building block of life on Earth. There are more types of carbon than all others of the periodic table together.
Carbon monoxide. A single carbon and oxygen atom. Split those two, and you've got nearly everything you need for Earthlike life to begin.
Sulfur dioxide Contains a sulfur atom and two oxygen atoms.

TL;DR
Life(earth-like) can evolve nearly anywhere, just needs the right circumstances.

Edited by Institute-Marksman

I'm gonna make this short and simple because I don't want to get another warning point for flaming or something.

Look up the Fermi Paradox

It'l explain everything

I actually thought about the Fermi Paradox a little. What if we are the most advanced sentient life form in the Universe?

Honestly, even just looking at it from a statistical stand point and realising just how big the universe is its pretty much impossible we are alone.

The universe is so large our minds cannot fathom it and people still think aliens are a myth.

Like dang, you can bet yo butt there are a tonne of lil green dudes etc out there just waiting to prob us.

Its almost statistically impossible that earth is the only planet suitable for sustaining carbon based lifeforms and just as unlikely that none of the other suitable planets out there have no life or advanced life at all.

Edited by StinkyPygmy

I actually thought about the Fermi Paradox a little. What if we are the most advanced sentient life form in the Universe?

I always found that to be just an excess of hubris.

I sincerely do not think that is actually possible, considering how relatively young our system is.

The fermi paradox is definitely interesting though.

I'm gonna make this short and simple because I don't want to get another warning point for flaming or something.

It'l explain everything

Perfectly reasonable post, to the point, on topic, can't imagine you getting a warning for that. O_o

But yeah, fermi paradox, while not looking at it in the terms you did, instead, essentially takes the estimated number of stars in the universe (I think? It might be the size of the universe), the probability of planets existing around those stars, the probability of those planets being earth-like, and the probability of those actually developing life. The percentage of it happening is infinitesimally small, but due to the sheer number of stars in the entire universe, the probability of there being at least one earth-like planet with life is pretty much guaranteed.

The universe is so large our minds cannot fathom it and people still think aliens are a myth.

Also, to help with imagining how your imagination can't imagine it, take this.

Edited by Tigersight

Wasn't there a theory about there being an unlimited number of planets, since the universe is infinite and still growing and thus there being unlimited possibilities for live and thus being infinite planets who kinda look like earth but slightly different, forming pseudo-parallel-universes?

In that case: Can't wait to meet the tenno.

It is within the realm of possibility. But your points make 0 sense.

You know CO? Carbon and Oxygen? Vital things for life, right?

Together they are very stable, and kill you.

Having oxygen as O2 and oxygen as in CO2 isn't the same thing.

There are far, far more inhospitable places on earth than sewers. Sure, we'd struggle horribly but...Black Smokers in the deep ocean? Hell, just insert 'Oceanic Abyss' here for one of the places we know next to nothing about. Yet there's still life down there. It is absolutely insane. We know more about the MOON than the depths of the ocean.

As for the 'infinite' thing, that's a whole other logical nightmare. There's a very good Horizon documentary on the subject of Infinity, if you have access to BBC i-player. It's called Horizon: To Infinity and Beyond if you're not able and interested.

Still, as Arthur C Clarke said "Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying"

Honestly, even just looking at it from a statistical stand point and realising just how big the universe is its pretty much impossible we are alone.

Like dang, you can bet yo butt there are a tonne of lil green dudes etc out there just waiting to prob us.

Its almost statistically impossible that earth is the only planet suitable for sustaining carbon based lifeforms and just as unlikely that none of the other suitable planets out there have no life or advanced life at all.

And that's before we get into the possiblity of being based on other forms of matter than Carbon.

Odds are insane. But the obstacles are similarly insane. And that's before we even get into the scale of there being celestial bodies immensely larger than our own sun. It's...a lot to get our heads around.

Somewhat chilling possibility, especially if we get into the startravel department. How much damage could humans do across the galaxy out of their hubris?

Assuming we don't blow ourselves up first.

Wasn't there a theory about there being an unlimited number of planets, since the universe is infinite and still growing and thus there being unlimited possibilities for live and thus being infinite planets who kinda look like earth but slightly different, forming pseudo-parallel-universes?

In that case: Can't wait to meet the tenno.

Not exactly. (As best we can tell,) there's a finite amount of matter in the universe. The big bang (that we think happened) sent it all flying outward, and it has been doing so ever since. (probably?)

This leaves us with 2 main possibilities, either everything is flying away too fast and just keep going forever, or it isn't, and the gravity between all of the matter in the universe eventually draws it all back into a single point again. (Which are again, theories.)

And that's before we get into the possiblity of being based on other forms of matter than Carbon.

^And this^

Everyone always forgets this.

Edited by Tigersight

It'l explain everything

The Fermi paradox has solutions. It isnt simply a problem.

I like the 'Zoo Hypothesis' best. That, or we're simply in some backroad galaxy where no-one has gone before.

Odds are insane. But the obstacles are similarly insane. And that's before we even get into the scale of there being celestial bodies immensely larger than our own sun. It's...a lot to get our heads around.

Exactly. 

Once we start taking into other forms of life not similar to what we know the chances increase drastically.

Now consider that but include organisms that are beings of energy, exist in alternate dimensions (other side of blackholes?) or simply cannot be perceived by the human senses.

Its a scary but pretty interesting thought.

Exactly. 

Once we start taking into other forms of life not similar to what we know the chances increase drastically.

Now consider that but include organisms that are beings of energy, exist in alternate dimensions (other side of blackholes?) or simply cannot be perceived by the human senses.

Its a scary but pretty interesting thought.

Indeed, especially considering the majority of the universe seems to be comprised of matter not immediately detectable to us.

There is even suggestions saying there are civilizations out there who´ve had a billion years headstart compared to us, if they survived their own such stages in development. Pretty sure there are some species who´ve caused their own extinctions.

Yup, pretty sure we could yet be one :)