Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Umbra Experience: Why You Should Not Be Excited For The New Warframe

-dicht.ThanksFrost-

Before you begin making assumptions about my opinion like a certain blind hater did I'll let you know that I don't mind Umbra Excal as a different frame to fill that gap. However I am simply concerned about this becoming a trend where our normal frame variants will become nothing but mastery fodder when several direct upgrades are available.

However I am also willing to see just how 'limited' Umbras are going to be if it is that DE sticks to that word, it's all speculation by now until Umbra Excal has a far more official announcement for the international versions.

Personally I don't mind. More mastery fodder. It's not ABSOLUTE neccessity that I have to use other Umbra Warframes if I do possess them. If they are better than prime no doubt I'll gladly buy a slot for it. If not, 10k credit for me. I don't mind more contents. The only people who mind more contents are people who wants their old contents to be a special snowflake of some sort.

Regular frames - prime frames, prime weapons, archwing - prime, kubrows, sentinal primes, helmets, various weapon alerts, and now Umbra.

Anything else you'd like to put in an rng system?

Seriously if this does turn out to be another frame type then DE best start expanding because the rng is just going to get more ridiculous. Look at Ash due to more frames being developed he now drops from manics, the enemy that are renowned for not dropping anything, and recently had it's spawn rate tonned down so that it would appear to be an actual mini boss.

Edited by Postal_pat

If we had the option to customize the stats on Umbra warframes that would be so great, like trade Shields for Health and Armor for Speed and vice versa, i would love this . And tbh i feel that should be tradeoff a umbra will have compared to a prime , it would trade some defense stats for mobility .

Well I can't wait for the new Umbra and if they are the better type of frames I'm for that as well. For those who are worried about frames being mastery fodder because of Umbra where were you when prime after prime came out? Lol i think these type of people just want to be special unicorns with their Excal Prime and because of Umbra majority of the community don't want Excal Prime anymore.

Personally I hope that the Umbra stuff is only applied to Excal. Having completely new frames based on existing ones is just unnecessary. What's next, Frost Umbra, Ember Umbra etc etc. We don't need that, the fact that we have primes that outclass the standard frame is more than enough, we don't need another class of frame that further render the base frame obsolete.

Excal is the exception to this because not everybody has access to Excal Prime, and if Umbra becomes the non-founders Excal Prime, I'll be happy, because hopefully it will finally put all this Excal Prime and random founders hate to bed.

Edited by H3dsh0t

This topic is stupid. You don't have to build the frame if you think it's a waste of time.

It's extra content. How could you complain about that? You want they should make everything a skin so you don't have to play for it? Is not just about you salty vets. Is also about new players and the overall experience of WF. Umbra gives players a CHOICE, especially new players.

It amazes me that vets could be so salty that they now PREFER skins over a new frame with new stats. You can't cater to everyone and I'm glad DE doesn't cater to players who are tired of the game and just want everything handed to them to play around with for a day or two, just to complain again when they're bored.

Personally I am looking forward to a whole new set of Warframes. People new to the game will have more selection about which look they want to go for and those who have been around for a while will have something new to work for.

Frankly I am just grateful that content is still being developed.

Please stop kidding yourself about selection. There is no selection in that kind of diversity its mainly just a visual difference with powercreep sprinkled in. It is also nothing new for the people like me who are mr20. Its the same gameplay experience.

Infact what this approach does is monetising the same kind of content more than once. That is because frames like this appear mainly in paid packages first and are usually grind locked from the start.

I am grateful too that content is developed; however im only grateful for new and original content and not rehashed frames with a new look and a bit higher stats, thats just boring.

This topic is stupid. You don't have to build the frame if you think it's a waste of time.

It's extra content. How could you complain about that? You want they should make everything a skin so you don't have to play for it? Is not just about you salty vets. Is also about new players and the overall experience of WF. Umbra gives players a CHOICE, especially new players.

It amazes me that vets could be so salty that they now PREFER skins over a new frame with new stats. You can't cater to everyone and I'm glad DE doesn't cater to players who are tired of the game and just want everything handed to them to play around with for a day or two, just to complain again when they're bored.

Recycled content is not extra content. When people ask for more content, they mean long lasting and intricate content. I want to play for days because the game is fun not because I want to grind for Excalibur 3.0. It's not a question of choice, its a question of adding unnecessary grind. When people look up Excalibur or any other umbra frames, they will see that a player will have to level 3 of almost the same frame, that's not right.

Recycled content is not extra content. When people ask for more content, they mean long lasting and intricate content. I want to play for days because the game is fun not because I want to grind for Excalibur 3.0. It's not a question of choice, its a question of adding unnecessary grind. When people look up Excalibur or any other umbra frames, they will see that a player will have to level 3 of almost the same frame, that's not right.

Translation: "I'm a founder that's upset that other players will have access to a new shiny Excalibur." 

Remember, a vast majority of us only have one plain old Excalibur, its not always about you. Majority of people will be excited for this frame because its the first time they can get their hands on an improved shiny Excalibur.

We might as well forget about all the other primes because in your eyes its, "recycled content" 

Edited by -CM-AbsoluteZero

You say this as if they didn't just release a whole new frame with at least 2 more being worked on right now.

You're talking a bunch of salty hot air.

It's not unnecessary grind. You don't have to grind for it. Newer players will see these frames as options. The same way I saw primes as options when I first started playing. I didn't feel compelled to make regular frost, I went straight for the prime.

Your just closed minded and can only think like a gamer that just wants to consume content and not as a developer creating a game for newer and older players.

Edited by Hypernaut1

Translation: "I'm a founder that's upset that other players will have access to a new shiny Excalibur." 

Remember, a vast majority of us only have one plain old Excalibur, its not always about you. Majority of people will be excited for this frame because its the first time they can get their hands on an improved shiny Excalibur.

We might as well forget about all the other primes because in your eyes its, "recycled content" 

I never said that its all about me. I never even said to remove umbras. I stated that these umbras should offer either a special playstyle or be an optional cosmetic.

I never downplayed the primes, they are a worthy tier of content because they provide better stats, which more seasoned players can get their hands on and take full advantage of. But if these umbras provide the same novelty (considering that they are their own class of warframe) than its nothing that we haven't seen before, we are doing the same thing over again, but in a different environment.

Also this "Translation: "I'm a founder that's upset that other players will have access to a new shiny Excalibur." 

This is what I have to say to you

Gee I'm so sorry, I'm so sorry that I work for a living and I can spare 80$ on a game. I'm so sorry that I managed to download the game on my S#&$-tier PC before you. I'm so sorry for being a entitled founder who wants to improve the state of the game for all players.

Seriously, you are downplaying a community of people who are no different than you. You are downplaying a community of players who were devoted to the game and had the money to show for it.  When in this thread did I say (directly or indirectly) "oh, non founders should not have a shiny new Excalibur because they don't deserve it" if anything I advocated for a better experience for non founders.  And yet people like you still bash me and other founders, which is not right.

I think the only person who is upset is you. You are upset because YOU didn't get the founders pack, you are upset because you don't have the exclusive content, or you were not able to obtain it. And because of that, you come to threads like this and state that I am just salty and I don't care about the player base when clearly I tried to make a solution to make umbras a more exciting experience as opposed to primes. But what can I do, I'm just founder scum right?

Keep up the anger, because when you boil tears with it all that's left is salt.

You say this as if they didn't just release a whole new frame with at least 2 more being worked on right now.

You're talking a bunch of salty hot air.

It's not unnecessary grind. You don't have to grind for it. Newer players will see these frames as options. The same way I saw primes as options when I first started playing. I didn't feel compelled to make regular frost, I went straight for the prime.

Your just closed minded and can only think like a gamer that just wants to consume content and not as a developer creating a game for newer and older players.

I'm trying to provide a better solution for adding umbras. Solutions that can potentially either increase game time, potential lore and mission variation or platinum increases. I know I don't have to grind for it, but in the instance where I would like to, wouldn't it be better if it was FUN to get the umbras, instead of running the same missions over and over?

Another suggestion that I made would give the older frames some new life, because a huge problem in warframe now is that normal variations of warframe are being rejected in exchange for the primes. We can use the umbras to give life to standard warframes, and stat differences that can promote radically different playstyles. I don't know if you read my entire post but how in any way did my statements make you draw the conclusion that.

"Your just closed minded and can only think like a gamer that just wants to consume content and not as a developer creating a game for newer and older players."

If anything I'm trying to help new players and old players, and I am trying to increase variety in the game and give space to add more lore to the universe. From what I understood, you read half of my post, skimming through the solutions and just made a reply telling me that I know nothing about game design. In 2/3 of my solutions I never asked for the umbras to be easy to get rewards rather an upgrade to existing frames that are quickly losing popularity.

Could you all please stop? We are yet to see what will come next, we dont know how DE will implement this, so please stop complaining about it, it is really getting ridiculous.

It is still an important thing to discuss. To tell De what some player feel about the integration of the umbras, and threads like these can tell devs what players want. Sure theres a lot of salt going around, but I commendate those who are putting their thoughts out there rather than basically calling founders scum.

Edited by Eureka.seveN

I never said that its all about me. I never even said to remove umbras. I stated that these umbras should offer either a special playstyle or be an optional cosmetic.

I never downplayed the primes, they are a worthy tier of content because they provide better stats, which more seasoned players can get their hands on and take full advantage of. But if these umbras provide the same novelty (considering that they are their own class of warframe) than its nothing that we haven't seen before, we are doing the same thing over again, but in a different environment.

Also this "Translation: "I'm a founder that's upset that other players will have access to a new shiny Excalibur." 

This is what I have to say to you

Gee I'm so sorry, I'm so sorry that I work for a living and I can spare 80$ on a game. I'm so sorry that I managed to download the game on my S#&$-tier PC before you. I'm so sorry for being a entitled founder who wants to improve the state of the game for all players.

Seriously, you are downplaying a community of people who are no different than you. You are downplaying a community of players who were devoted to the game and had the money to show for it.  When in this thread did I say (directly or indirectly) "oh, non founders should not have a shiny new Excalibur because they don't deserve it" if anything I advocated for a better experience for non founders.  And yet people like you still bash me and other founders, which is not right.

I think the only person who is upset is you. You are upset because YOU didn't get the founders pack, you are upset because you don't have the exclusive content, or you were not able to obtain it. And because of that, you come to threads like this and state that I am just salty and I don't care about the player base when clearly I tried to make a solution to make umbras a more exciting experience as opposed to primes. But what can I do, I'm just founder scum right?

Keep up the anger, because when you boil tears with it all that's left is salt.

LOL, why would I be upset? The latest devstream confirmed that the Umbra we are getting is identical to China's. So I'm happy that the rest of the community gets to enjoy a shiny Excalibur. Nobody wants another skin, we want a new Excalibur that's on par with the other primes stat wise. So don't bother pulling out the salty card.

I'm not trying to downplay the whole founder community, there are obviously other founders that don't feel the same way you do by looking at posts #2 and #7. The only salt I see is coming from you. You are clearly upset enough to create a thread telling others how they should feel about the upcoming Umbra.

So why not be a big boy and let others enjoy Excalibur Umbra when it comes out? 

Edited by -CM-AbsoluteZero

LOL, why would I be upset? The latest devstream confirmed that the Umbra we are getting is identical to China's. So I'm happy that the rest of the community gets to enjoy a shiny Excalibur. Nobody wants another skin, we want a new Excalibur that's on par with the other primes stat wise. So don't bother pulling out the salty card.

I'm not trying to downplay the whole founder community, there are obviously other founders that don't feel the same way you do by looking at posts #2 and #7. The only salt I see is coming from you. You are clearly upset enough to create a thread telling others how they should feel about the upcoming Umbra.

So why not be a big boy and let others enjoy Excalibur Umbra when it comes out? 

LOL but the best part is you only took 1/3rd of my statements in my original post and made a fuss about it, with your snarky comment! I am giving a suggestion in order to make the umbras a nicer addition to the game. If you actually read my post which you probably did not, judging by this response, my 2nd and 3rd suggestion revolves around giving other frame variants new life and making the game more fun when trying to obtain them.

My title to this post is Why you should not be excited, not you should not be excited. I am giving reasons as to why umbras might not be as good of an addition as we think, due to the fact that it adds another grind wall. Okay sure, not many people have excaliber prime, but what about Volt umbra? You telling me that it is a viable game choice, to make 3 variations of the same frame, with rng and level walls? If so then i'm sorry.

I said in my post that a player can upgrade their normal frames into an UMBRA, which will ovbiously have different stat increases compared to the primes, but of course you missed that part of my original post as well.

Next time why dont you read the ENTIRE post before making a snarky comment like

"Translation: "I'm a founder that's upset that other players will have access to a new shiny Excalibur." 

When my intent for most of my post was to make the umbras a gateway to not only fix many of the games problems but to add more depth of umbra frames other than just another variation of a frame.

You want your shiny frame, go ahead. Nowhere in this post did I state that other players having shiny excals was bad. What i said was bad was that it adds more pointless game time to something that we have already done twice. Im not asking for players to get nothing, I asked for a better intergration of the umbras so that all players can enjoy. But you wouldn't know that, since you clearly didnt read my post.

Don't tell me what and what not to be excited about.

I like the idea of Umbras, I never liked the gold on primes and because umbra has its rooks in the color black, of which I am a fan of, the coloring will be much nicer to me.

Who do you think you are? The government?

its not a question of getting more content, beleive me. I love new content. But imagine all the frames comming out in droves, if theres a volt umbra, a nyx umbra, etc.. That would mean that there would be now 3 variations of the same frame to level. There are stat differences for sure, but it is simply not healthy for the game to justadd more leveling content. It would be cooler if they added umbras as a upgrade path for base frames, and then when you go "umbra" you get different stat bounses to primes. At least there the game would be more interesting, and would give a reason for players to get the umbras other than their appearance.

Edited by Eureka.seveN

Excalibur was my go to frame because of his aesthetics and specifically because he wasn't another Press 4 to Win frame.  The rework ruined his gameplay for me. Exalted Blade is a simple point and shoot, Spam E to Win mechanic heralded as a success by the community specifically because its easy and overpowered.(Although not as overpowered as it once was, eh Excalibros? )

If Umbra is a cool looking rework of the rework that tones down his over the top broken Exalted Blade then I may be interested in a purchase and bring Excal back into the fold.

Edited by Wargasm_v2.X

Excalibur was my go to frame because of his aesthetics and specifically because he wasn't another Press 4 to Win frame.  The rework ruined his gameplay for me. Exalted Blade is a simple point and shoot, Spam E to Win mechanic heralded as a success by the community specifically because its easy and overpowered.(Although not as overpowered as it once was, eh Excalibros? )

If Umbra is a cool looking rework of the rework that tones down his over the top broken Exalted Blade then I may be interested in a purchase and bring Excal back into the fold.

"simple point and shoot" LOL

I guess all guns in this game are overpowered because all you have to do is point and shoot. Or that all melee weapons are broken because all you have to do is spam E. 

You should try posting this in a separate thread. Oh wait you already did? Lets remember how that worked out for you: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/483701-excalibur-rework-press-e-to-win/ 

The amount of actually not reading anything in this thread is absolutely amazing. This is not specifically about Umbra Excal, but Umbra stuff in general. Do we really need another generation of frames making the base frames obsolete? Thats what people are talking about here, not some stupid founders vs non founders rubbish that people constantly spout here. There's no way of a decent discussion until people get past spouting that stuff, its almost to the point where DE should remove the founders badge from the forums, since it seems that it just means that any form of reasonable discussion is impossible if you have a founders badge next to your name.

The question is, do we really need more frames that outclass the base frame. We already have the primes that straight up make the base frames obsolete do we actually need to make them even more obsolete? If its a straight up alternative frame with no obvious benefits over the base frames then all is well and good. It would be even better if it was simply an alternative skin, but since its confirmed its a separate frame then I think we're past that at this point.