Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

I'm Really Worried About The New Skins.

(PSN)TrueAlastar

Does it need to be money? Plat is an option, more of a say in how abilities work is an option, there are any number of other ways to pay someone besides money.

Yes, it has to be money. If you get contracted to work for a company (DE), be it as an employee or freelance (artist in this case), you have to receive money (minimum wage exists for a reason, you know) for your work by law.

Platinum is given to tennogen people cause DE is actually selling and making money on those items, DE can't pay them money cause those people didn't actually work for DE but entered their art as part of a contest.

They also can't use ANY of the designs people come up with in the fan-art and fan-concept sections of the forum cause they could get sued by the artist. A similar thing could've happened to Lab Zero, creators of Skullgirls, with a character created by a fan (JuJu) that couldn've been used in the game but wasn't even if art was created because even if all the fan suggested was "an asian sniper woman" (it was literally just a concept, no art or anything, just those words) that person could still have sued Lab Zero if they used that character.

Edited by JesterTheNight

Do people want contracts? o -o

tumblr_nbonw0gogL1tz85kto1_500.gif

I said no one knows for sure, right? You keep requeesting personal assumptions, there is no point to this.

To me it doesn't fit the overall techno-organic theme the team goes for on Warframe designs. The current Zephyr is a better fit. It's almost pointless to argue it with people because art is subjective and people will see what they want in the end.

nmvPSNp.jpg

tumblr_nbonw0gogL1tz85kto1_500.gif

To me it doesn't fit the overall techno-organic theme the team goes for on Warframe designs. The current Zephyr is a better fit. It's almost pointless to argue it with people because art is subjective and people will see what they want in the end.

nmvPSNp.jpg

Please tell me how zephyr has "elegant curves" rather than "bulbous masses".

The original concept was much more in line with the tenno aesthetic if we are going off that picture. 

There is a big difference between a concept art for a skin and actually make it look good on the 3D model. Usually you always change something beacuse as i said: it might look great on tge paper bit that doesnt mean it will automaticly look good as a 3D model.

Definitely. Some concept arts might get some small changes to fit more.Some like Infested Juggernaut and Zephyr will get a much more drastic + appropriate change to be more fitting.

[picture of zephyr concept]

How is this generic?? & how does it not fit the warframe theme? lemme guess only because it wasnt created by mynki

it does actually look a bit generic to me, like a man wearing a stylized version of a japanese priest outfit with some weird triangles attached to the sleeves. to me, this screams priest frame, which sounds alot like trinity. his outfit also has alot of sharp angles and his silhouette is anything but flowing or elegant curves, infact they are quite sharp and rigid like corpus.

while the current zephyr screams bird, which while having a bit of over detailing in some areas, contains all the design aspects laid out earlier in the thread.

Is everyone who likes the art automatically a yes-man? That seems a bit broad.

Sadly, you mistook what I was saying. I'm saying no in in DE questions his almighty authority in the art room, and he's like...the only guy making all the decisions, obviously he has lots of people in DE that don't bother debating or going against him. Therefore, a legion of yes-men. I didn't even bother mentioning anything about the community.

it does actually look a bit generic to me, like a man wearing a stylized version of a japanese priest outfit with some weird triangles attached to the sleeves. to me, this screams priest frame, which sounds alot like trinity. his outfit also has alot of sharp angles and his silhouette is anything but flowing or elegant curves, infact they are quite sharp and rigid like corpus.

while the current zephyr screams bird, which while having a bit of over detailing in some areas, contains all the design aspects laid out earlier in the thread.

Holdddddd up lol so a frame design that is suppose to be bird/wind frame but looks like a Japanese priest is generic ? While another frame design that "screams" bird frame isn't?

Btw the original zeph design isn't far off from mesa

Edited by (PS4)Akuma_Asura_

Then why not contract people if they want to put their concept into the game instead of butchering it with interpretation? 

I can tell that you're not an artist and that you think that YOUR personal opinion somehow has more weight than others' opinions. I don't think they butchered anything at all. What I'm seeing are people that are really used to generic and safe designs so they don't like anything that's experimental and different. Yes, being experimental and different alone aren't what makes a good design but personally I like most of the designs in WF. They're pretty unique for the most part and aesthetically pleasing. You might not think so and that's cool but the way you talk, it sounds like you forget that art is subjective.

As an artist, I can understand not wanting to contract other people when you can do your own interpretation. And it makes sense from the business side because why contract out when you have your own in-house artists? And finally, 2D and 3D don't always transition from one to another and always look good. I know this from experience since I do both 2D and 3D. I have one example where I painted a monkey king. The fur pattern looked great as a concept art. But looked like a terrible jumbled mess in 3D.  

Long story short, you're judging way too harshly because you don't know what it's really like on the art creation side of things.

What you guys don't understand is that they CAN'T USE fan designs for the game (unless they state that that design will be used if it wins a contest or it's fan art for the codex). This time they CONTRACTED community artists so the design will be the same (unless the artist wants to change it).

People who have tennogen skins in the market also had to sign a contract with DE to get plat when stuff gets bought from the market (it'll happen with tennogen avatars too).

All the people that want Typhus in the game, for example, don't realize that it won't be the same design UNLESS RedSkittles gets contracted by DE.

I was not aware that there was a difference. Very intriguing, I appreciate your input and look forward to more information from you in the future. (If this is all indeed true.)

I think the original Zephyr design was very clean and to the point. It is all it needed to be and pulled it off perfectly. 

Instead we got a feathery mess with what was released. 

I never did see how the original concept was any harder to implement in game rather than what we got. What we got was overly complicated and messy. 

It wasn't the dragon fan concept DE based "Chroma" off of. (Note: I refuse to call Chroma "The dragon frame".) It was just a general dragon idea. In my opinion they failed that bigtime. 

"Original concept" You mean the fan concept that they used as inspiration? We've only seen the official concept of a few frames, notably Ash, Ember, Valkyr, and Nyx

IN THE END, after reading all this information...this thread has taught me that people get upset when they like a Warframe, but dislike how it looks. Solution? (Not the best one, but a good one) Let us interchange the abilities and the looks of a frame. For example, give Valkyr's abilities and stats to Excalibur, the only thing that changes is the model. Problem partially solved. :3

Though, I know they won't do that, because the abilities are thematic with the look of the frame, and for things like Chroma, it'd be awkward and difficult to do. And, as we know, anything awkward and difficult to do...is not done. Lol

I always thought Zephyr looked okay.  A little cluttered, but not bad at all.  I mostly don't play Zephyr because the abilities aren't very compelling.

Chroma, though?  There was a time I said that Ash was the ugliest Warframe.  Then came Chroma.

Gotta admit, laughed pretty hard over that "infested mass of Twizzlers" business up there.  Nailed it.

I hope the Chinese contingent takes another crack at Chroma's design and we get a nice import skin from them.

Holdddddd up lol so a frame design that is suppose to be bird/wind frame but looks like a Japanese priest is generic ? While another frame design that "screams" bird frame isn't?

Btw the original zeph design isn't far off from mesa

the problem i see with the fan concept is if the design is supposed to be bird and wind, why is it also taking design stylings of a Japanese priest when that's effectively adding another style onto the two we already have. but most importantly it is how the themes are used. the fan concept is primarily a Japanese styled priest, with a small bit of bird concept sticking out from the mask , feet, hands and triangles attached to the forearms. studying it more closely im slightly reminded of a tengu but it doesnt feel so much warframe as it does a futuristic tengu.

but looking at the final design for zephyr, we see she is wearing a shawl that is styled to look like a bird's plumage, a helmet that represents a bird's head just as well as the concept a codpiece that is very angular like a bird's tail feathers when they arent flying, feather styled protrusions on the upper and forearm along with a plumage pattern than goes down the lenth of the arm and into the hand which looks like it might have a bit of webbing to assist with flight control, a less plumage pattern going down the leg but with more feather styled protrusions ending in talon feet.

and overall i feel the production version hits a home run on the design concept of organic tech hybrid than the fan concept it's based on.

the problem i see with the fan concept is if the design is supposed to be bird and wind, why is it also taking design stylings of a Japanese priest when that's effectively adding another style onto the two we already have. but most importantly it is how the themes are used. the fan concept is primarily a Japanese styled priest, with a small bit of bird concept sticking out from the mask , feet, hands and triangles attached to the forearms. studying it more closely im slightly reminded of a tengu but it doesnt feel so much warframe as it does a futuristic tengu.

but looking at the final design for zephyr, we see she is wearing a shawl that is styled to look like a bird's plumage, a helmet that represents a bird's head just as well as the concept a codpiece that is very angular like a bird's tail feathers when they arent flying, feather styled protrusions on the upper and forearm along with a plumage pattern than goes down the lenth of the arm and into the hand which looks like it might have a bit of webbing to assist with flight control, a less plumage pattern going down the leg but with more feather styled protrusions ending in talon feet.

and overall i feel the production version hits a home run on the design concept of organic tech hybrid than the fan concept it's based on.

Exactly. The fan concept (no offense to the artist) looks more like a guy in costume and a mask. The design elements are bit too slapped on together and aren't really cohesive. The Zephyr that we have looks far more cohesive and actually looks like an actual organism.  It's really well designed and you can tell a lot of work went into the details to make them look like they really have a function.

Another Tenno explained the legal issues formidably earlier in this thread so I'll skip it.

Look, it's DE's game, and they make it according to their vision. And it is their artistic right to change and differently interpret a concept.

In the end the only thing they took from Volkovyl's design was the concept of a wind frame. They designed her to look like a tengu, and she looks right at home here. While Vol's concept was neat, let's model it-it's quite bland. It doesn't have the level of organic detail a warframe has, and looks too much 'cloth' like. If you notice the torso is basically Loki's design. It would not look nearly as sleek as Mynki's does.

The dragon frame was the generic dragon knight-not even a warframe. Not bashing them, just stating the truth. Fantastic artwork, but when push comes to shove they don't really live up to it as they do on pen and paper.

Concept and actual implementations are light years apart.

I like how Mynki always does what Warframe does best-be absolutely unique. It's his vision, and I'm 100% behind it. If the community dictated every visual I can guarantee warframe would turn into a visual frankenstein of other games in no time.

And just because the vocal minority here fusses a lot does not mean they represent the whole playerbase. A LOT of people like her, and chroma. They just don't spent hours *@##$ing on the forums about it.

Art is always open for interpretation, and subjective. Just because you don't like something does not mean nobody does.

Since they contracted the artists this time, I think the final products will be pretty close to what we've seen.

Couple of things:

Firstly, DE specifically asked this designer for skins. Presumably they liked his style and wanted his vision, so I doubt they will change them.

Secondly, the fan Zeph is nice but not really warframe, it would look great in Mortal Kombat or something.

Thirdly, having one artistic vision guiding a project is no bad thing.

Whoa. Like a lot of people here I think that final design of Zephyr is much better and more fitting than the original concept. In fact the only problem with current Zephyr design is a high amount of gray non-recolorable areas, which makes customizing her a bit tricky.

The only skin I really want to be implemented as close as possible to the original is a Trinity one. I just afraid that it may be impossible to keep those legs i__i exactly the way these are on concept.