Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe China New Frame Revealed "nezha"? (Update) [Megathread]

DonGucciRice

From wiki:

He was then given the title "Third Lotus Prince" (蓮花三太子) after he became a deity.

Interdasting

Some more:

Nezha is often depicted as a youth, instead of an adult. He is often shown flying in the sky riding on the Wind Fire Wheels (風火輪), has the Universe Ring (乾坤圈) around his body (sometimes in his left hand), the Red Armillary Sash (浑天绫) around his shoulders and a Fire-tipped Spear (火尖槍) in his right hand. Sometimes, he is shown in his "three heads and six arms" form (三頭六臂). He has the ability to spit rainbows in some legends.
Edited by PublikDomain

It's the fact that ALL of his abilities are so BLATANTLY like this ONE SPECIFIC CHARACTER that's bothering him, and it's a fair point, I'd say.

I mean, if we had a character that could fly, breath frost, run super fast, and shoot lasers from his eyes all in the SAME kit with the name Kal'el, I think there'd be issues with that - aside from the regular legal issues.

No.

What you're talking about are something of Western culture, like Marvel comic in US, and those super heroes are trademarked by Marvel. Chinese culture and lore are not bared by legal system that way. Journey to the West and those characters in China are not trademarked, or owned, by any one company.

The easy way to see this similarity in the West is when we have games like Fist of Jesus or Jesus to the Rescue, etc. And no legal boundary on Jesus, because Jesus is owned by no one. 

I'd abandon any hopes of getting content based on uniquely Japanese stuff, as opposed to your run of the mill ninja aesthetic that we already have, out of the Chinese version that we wouldn't already be getting from developments in Warframe NA. They, uh, don't exactly like each other, to put it mildly.

It's probably just that the most iconic figures of Chinese mythology are mostly male, and if you're going to start making frames with the explicit goal of being based on Chinese folklore you're going to start with only the most famous characters, irregardless of their gender.

That being said, a Chang'e warframe would be interesting to see, with moon/immortality-based powers. Come to think of it, it would fit perfectly with the upcoming Orokin moonbase too...

MMMMmm... The thought of seeing her being put in a game made me cringe...reason see below

I can understand this.

Although I love the new designs, a lot of the new Warframes are almost, how do you put it, too specific? Basing them off of simple concepts makes sense, but basing them entirely off of characters in mythology is kinda silly.

I mean, you could argue that Atlas is a based off of said world-carrier in Greek mythology, but his concepts are mostly drawn from brawling and earth control. Atlas is just his name, which relates to him, but not entirely.

Wukong is literally Sun Wukong. Same goes for this one.

I agree. I think rather making them exactly the same character jumping out from the book, they could combine new Sci-fi themed technologies into the original concept to make something refreshing and fun. But with Changyou giving that much influence I think maybe it's not up to DE's choice....

I hope there won't be more exact character appearing in the game like this. A concept is good but a literal character is somewhat repelling.

The Wukong-class warframe is Sun Wukong. He does what Sun Wukong does. The void remade Sun Wukong.

It's like making a warframe called Batman.

No.

Wukong warframe has only 4 abilities. If you had read the original lore, Sun Wukong has 72 super power abilities.

Edited by ndantony

No.

What you're talking about are something of Western culture, like Marvel comic in US, and those super heroes are trademarked by Marvel. Chinese culture and lore are not bared by legal system that way. Journey to the West and those characters in China are not trademarked, or owned, by any one company.

The easy way to see this similarity in the West is when we have games like Fist of Jesus or Jesus to the Rescue, etc. And no legal boundary on Jesus, because Jesus is owned by no one. 

I see what you're getting at....

Jesus frame soon

Edited by FoxyKabam

Well, it may not be a good idea for where you're from, but it's not meant for you, or me, or anyone in the global build. It's meant for the Chinese audience, so it's absolutely appropriate and "good".

It may not be "meant" for us but we're still getting it, & DE is still spending development time on it. So regardless of who it's intended for it does affect us in the global build as we're going to be going several warframe release cycles getting these frames. It's absolutely fair for us to offer our opinions on them.  

I can completely understand what the issue is for some players considering Wukong. Typically when you look at Warframes, their theme is usually in sync with their overall use of thematic abilities. Volt, uses electricity in different ways, Mesa is a Gunslinger, Vauban is grenadier or tactician however you wish to put it. What is Wukong? A monkey king? He like throws mud and poop around to cause toxic DoT, eats fruit to gain health, throws used bananas as slippery slope CC and sits on a throne made of coconuts or something? Nope, nothing like that at all. He has very specifically thematic abilities accordance to the lore of Sun Wukong specifically.

I mean if you would like to align his abilities like Ash or Mesa, then he would be something like staff warrior or something like that. At least with Warframes like Excalibur, Loki and Atlas the only correlation they have is name and the origin of theme. Nothing else matches. A swordsman, a trickster, a earth-molder but nothing about these themes says anything about a specific character in lore and the connection is only made after the familiar name is attached. Wukong, if you know anything about Sun Wukong is very clearly one and the same. See the difference is between a figurative character and a literal one. A Spider-themed Warframe instead of Spiderman.

Now do not get me wrong. I do not personally mind that much personally as I am keen to play with such a Warframe either way really. That is not of relevancy to me. But I do understand the gripe in the lack of creativity. At least if Wukong was merely a Staff warrior (instead of having cloud and push ability) then it would be thematically accurate like the rest are as well as having a clear indication of the inspiration behind the Warframe theme. But such the cookie is now and it is too late to really bring this up. Who knows though, maybe some day he'll get a rework that better aligns thematically with both of the worlds and not just one of them.

Edited by BETAOPTICS

Nezha? Not my fave choice but makes sense with target audience i guess. I guess this will be a regular thing then? I dont mind, double the frames being made is double the hype!

Waiting for a red hare riding Guan Yu next! lol

Still can we not at least concept around celtic, greek or japanese mythology too?

Nezha and Wukong

Little Li Dagger ..... Errrr Spira....

I bet the next weapon would be the dragon saber (Jin Yong)

and the next warframe would be Dongfang Bubai(Invincible East).

Nezha will have wind-fire wheels and fire spear for sure.

If Invincible East becomes a warframe it will be the first transgender warframe LOL.

His/Her signature weapons are needles and strings.

Nezha and Wukong

Little Li Dagger ..... Errrr Spira....

I bet the next weapon would be the dragon saber (Jin Yong)

and the next warframe would be Dongfang Bubai(Invincible East).

Nezha will have wind-fire wheels and fire spear for sure.

If Invincible East becomes a warframe it will be the first transgender warframe LOL.

His/Her signature weapons are needles and strings.

I don't think WF community would ever be ready for a transgender frame given the sh*storm caused by Equinox and people's precious frame release order (which btw was brought up in this thread as well).

Personally I dig Nezha's design and can't wait for his kit, but also I feel a bit of disappointed in the direction the chinese frames are going. Every chinese mmo/game feels like a copy of the same themes over and over. Which is what probably sells the best and brings profits but leaves little space for imagination. Oh well.

No.

Wukong warframe has only 4 abilities. If you had read the original lore, Sun Wukong has 72 super power abilities.

But EACH of Wukong's abilities ARE based on things Sun Wukong could do - there's no "it's tied to the theme", they're just powers he has.

But EACH of Wukong's abilities ARE based on things Sun Wukong could do - there's no "it's tied to the theme", they're just powers he has.

If talking about Sun Wukong powers in the original lore, ALL warframes are essentially using some of his abilities. Would that then Wukong warframe should be named differently?!

If talking about Sun Wukong powers in the original lore, ALL warframes are essentially using some of his abilities. Would that then Wukong warframe should be named differently?!

Yes, to put it bluntly. At least then it wouldn't be so blatantly obvious.

Yes, to put it bluntly. At least then it wouldn't be so blatantly obvious.

What other appropriate names can you think of, than the name by Chinese giving to their own closely warframe culture lore fav character?!

Maybe Western world see Loki should be as Loki is and Atlas should be as Atlas is, but China sees... Wukong should be as Wukong is...

We have Monkey and Tripaka from Odysey of the West. We have Asura in Asura's Wrath... Maybe Son Goku (Japanese direct transcriping of Sun Wukong), or Monkey D Luffy... how about calling him Ryu or Akuma (splitting evil version), or Ken (spliting Westernized version for more acceptance)