Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Ignore Function And Its Abuse

Jigoogly

To put it blatantly it is abused.

que random scenario from trade chat:

Me: WTS Arcane Avenger pm offers!

randompmdude: how much for avenger?

Me: I asked for people to pm their offers :) But I take other things than just plat.

randompmdude: -no response-

Me: ?

randompmdude: This user is ignoring you.

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who has ever experienced this due to the fact that this and similar situations like it have happened to me an innumerable amount of times to the point of absurdity.

Proposal: 

Cap number of ignorable users to 100 with a  manageable "ignored users list"

OR 

Have ignored user only be Ignored for a period of 36hrs unless the user re-applies the ignore to the same person for a 2nd time at which point it should extend to 72hr after which a further ignore would be permanent followed by an auto report abuse ticket prompt thats is required for the plaintiff to fill out in order to enact the permanent ignore. In this version there is explicitly no manageable ignore list.

Another iteration of the 2nd suggestion could be that the player is prompted each time they use ignore with a mini window asking them if they would like to report this person. I believe this would work well only if in conjunction with a system similar to --believe it or not-- the one Microsoft uses on Xbox Live. I'm referencing specifically the part at 3:15
https://youtu.be/bhz9eTcL1h0?list=PLAFA0D04EDFBC4597

I'd assume something like this would already be in place but the last major event in which someone assumed something far more important is the now memorialized D-Day. so...... Assume nothing.

Apparently I did not make myself clear:

This is a post advocating the replacement of the ignore function with the report function - the report function acting as the ultimate ignore. If players are being toxic you should have every right to ignore them but how about make this community a little better by reporting their misconduct - two birds one stone. 

Important side note:

I would like to make Warframe an even more awesome community but I think you can't really claim your community is awesome when players are able and or allowed to just ignore everyone that ever types anything in chat..... this promotes toxic isolation. People might say well so what just let the toxic players isolate themselves and I reply with this: Those players will remain toxic and have no motivation to change their way and the method by which the current form of isolation takes place. at present the duty of blockading them away from the rest of the community has fallen to the responsibility of the toxic player -who prior to blocking each and every player out first-has to have an interaction with them. This typical experience is incredibly hostile and offensive. Yet that is not the worst part because the players that they are now coming in contact with are no longer the wizened veterans of Warframe who will not be put off due to their already existing investment if they were to see such and offense. Rather they are going to be coming more frequently in contact with players they have yet to block i.e. new players. New players that are by in large far more susceptible to being put off the game entirely by these self-pent-up toxic players. Thus ultimately hurting warframe monetary bottom line.

Just my 2 cents on the situation 

Edited by Jigoogly

That you even post a thread like this is messed up. Sorry, I dont know how else to put it.

It is the users prerogative to not want to interact with you for any reason.

Besides the chat-system is bugged. If your IP changed within the runtime of the game, you wont see any text. You have to close the tab and re-open it for the user each time to see what he wrote or restart the game alltogether.

It is bugged for many months now.

Nice assuming your fellow tenno is mental, as opposed to the game logic not working like it should.

Edited by (PS4)l0r3n7step
  • Like 1

Proposal:

Cap number of ignorable users to 100 with a  manageable "ignored users list"

OR 

Have ignored user only be Ignored for a period of 36hrs unless the user re-applies the ignore to the same person for a 2nd time at which point it should extend to 72hr after which a further ignore would be permanent followed by an auto report abuse ticket prompt thats is required for the plaintiff to fill out in order to enact the permanent ignore. In this version there is explicitly no manageable ignore list.

I only use Ignore on people who say and do horrible things in region and relay chat.  Because of this I have over 250 people on ignore, so, no thanks to limiting it to 100.

Part of the problem with trade chat ignores is that the Ignore option is right next to the Invite option, so half the time people are trying to invite someone and accidentally ignore them.

Edited by Gelkor

He is ignoring you, it is done based on the persons decision, why does it bother you and why does it have to be regulated. It is also no abuse, since it is a sanction done by someone upon themselves so you can hardly call it abuse. If it would affect you directly you could argue but other than that if someone CHOOSES to ignore you it is their god damn right, he can invalidate that ignore any time.

Toxic isolation? No it enables players to get rid of people they do not want to talk to or do not want to be bothered by, as it is their god given right. Who is the toxic/fascist guy here I have to ask? 

Sadly the forums do not have an ignore function or a down vote function.....

He is ignoring you, it is done based on the persons decision, why does it bother you and why does it have to be regulated. It is also no abuse, since it is a sanction done by someone upon themselves so you can hardly call it abuse. If it would affect you directly you could argue but other than that if someone CHOOSES to ignore you it is their god damn right, he can invalidate that ignore any time.

Toxic isolation? No it enables players to get rid of people they do not want to talk to or do not want to be bothered by, as it is their god given right. Who is the toxic/fascist guy here I have to ask? 

Sadly the forums do not have an ignore function or a down vote function.....

When the ignore function causes toxicity instead of reducing it, it is a problem. Unfortunately, there is not really a realistic solution, but I think changing ignore to 12 hours, and adding a perma-block behind an interface would probably fix things.

One thing though, in Clan/Alliance chats, admin/Warlord messages should always appear, even if the player is on ignore. I would suggest the same for any with purpletext status in public chats also.

Also, the forums had a downvote function, which was removed for fair reasons. The forums do still have an ignore function, but given that this place is for debate, with people who disagree with you, it should only ever be used to avoid those who make aggressive personal attacks or other egregious behavior.

No. This is a bad suggestion all around. The ignore function performs exactly as intended, it ignores a user when you use it. There is no "abuse". That person could literally just as easily close your PM tab without reading it.

People ignoring you on the internet will happen, it's not a flaw in a videogame.

Can you explain how that situation you outlined was abuse? Sure, some people might have stupid reasons to ignore, but I think it would be worse if a harasser just had to wait a while before continuing what they were doing, and a person had no option to permanently block because their list is full of other toxic players.

It's working as intended, just because you disagree with a person's reason for blocking you, doesn't mean they don't have a right to do so

When the ignore function causes toxicity instead of reducing it, it is a problem. Unfortunately, there is not really a realistic solution, but I think changing ignore to 12 hours, and adding a perma-block behind an interface would probably fix things.

One thing though, in Clan/Alliance chats, admin/Warlord messages should always appear, even if the player is on ignore. I would suggest the same for any with purpletext status in public chats also.

Also, the forums had a downvote function, which was removed for fair reasons. The forums do still have an ignore function, but given that this place is for debate, with people who disagree with you, it should only ever be used to avoid those who make aggressive personal attacks or other egregious behavior.

How the ignore function can cause toxicity? I think that do the opposite because if you are going to ignore to someone is because the conversation is going to go by the toxicity road, and this function is a user decision more than a problem of the game, if a player doesnt want to talk to you is because he can and dont want to have conversation in the future with you, you cant force to a player to do something that he don't want to do, is like if a player insult me and says horrible thing to me i would like to ignore him forever because i dont permit that people treat me like that and because there a lot of other player to play or to talk so is not a problem to have this function at free-will. The suggestion of the player that create this thread sounds to me that he get ignored to much(no offenses but it is a very rare suggestion by the way).

Edited by chofranc

Can you explain how that situation you outlined was abuse? Sure, some people might have stupid reasons to ignore, but I think it would be worse if a harasser just had to wait a while before continuing what they were doing, and a person had no option to permanently block because their list is full of other toxic players.

It's working as intended, just because you disagree with a person's reason for blocking you, doesn't mean they don't have a right to do so

I'd say iit is abuse because it is using a function intended to negate forms of harassment instead being used because they do not like your offer. its the mentality of "il block everyone who doesn't fit my every whim" instead of being used as intended..... That's why I think it is abuse. It is coupled with the same playing field of give a child everything they ever want and you can  expect all hell first time you tell them they cannot do something. I think players should have the ability to block everyone and anyone they want but I'm starting to think the community shrinks within itself every day people are allowed to segregate themselves away from the rest of the community shearly because they didn't like that one offer you gave them over a year ago.

I don't think you can abuse a choice.

I'd say iit is abuse because it is using a function intended to negate forms of harassment instead being used because they do not like your offer. its the mentality of "il block everyone who doesn't fit my every whim" instead of being used as intended..... That's why I think it is abuse.

It's a function intended to let people not hear other people. It works.

No. This is a bad suggestion all around. The ignore function performs exactly as intended, it ignores a user when you use it. There is no "abuse". That person could literally just as easily close your PM tab without reading it.

People ignoring you on the internet will happen, it's not a flaw in a videogame.

I would say abuse is using a game function for a purpose not intended in way that creates a negative experience for everyone else. I think people should have the right to ignore one another if harassment occurs not simply because they don't like one offer you gave them over a year ago.

I only use Ignore on people who say and do horrible things in region and relay chat.  Because of this I have over 250 people on ignore, so, no thanks to limiting it to 100.

Part of the problem with trade chat ignores is that the Ignore option is right next to the Invite option, so half the time people are trying to invite someone and accidentally ignore them.

So I think this is a great example of where "report" button should ultimately replace the "ignore" button. Because while I agree you should have the right to immediately remove their future texts from your chat I think it would be more reasonable that you be more easily able to report their vulgarity from the chat entirely for everyone rather than just personally. I think that's what I should have stressed more - that if what they are doing is truly vulgar the ability to report their behavior should be more readily available - in replacement of the ignore function. I think a bigger question is that why is the ignore button so prevalently used in Warframe vs any other f2p or mmo for that matter. Why are people so eager in this relatively small community to totally block all interaction without a 2nd thought. I think Blizzard provides an excellent example of the effectiveness of this dual option being in place.

I have less than 20 people on my ignore list compared to a friends list that I lost count of long ago. I think this is one of the worst ideas I've heard in a while. If someone desires to straight up ignore you for whatever reason, then you will gain nothing by trying to force them to hear you out. Beyond that, DE has no desire to discourage players who may be too timid or simply not wish to use the report system. As a game rated for mature adults, I'd be willing to guess that some people may find other players annoying, rude, or simply dis-likable who also understand that those other players should in no way be banned or punished for their actions. The report player button is not that difficult to find, but if you feel its location is discouraging players from pointing out particularly egregious offenses, then perhaps adding it under the ignore would be enough of a fix.  

It may seem rude to you for people to abruptly shut you out, but that is their prerogative and it would be foolish to try to enforce something else. 

I have less than 20 people on my ignore list compared to a friends list that I lost count of long ago. I think this is one of the worst ideas I've heard in a while. If someone desires to straight up ignore you for whatever reason, then you will gain nothing by trying to force them to hear you out. Beyond that, DE has no desire to discourage players who may be too timid or simply not wish to use the report system. As a game rated for mature adults, I'd be willing to guess that some people may find other players annoying, rude, or simply dis-likable who also understand that those other players should in no way be banned or punished for their actions. The report player button is not that difficult to find, but if you feel its location is discouraging players from pointing out particularly egregious offenses, then perhaps adding it under the ignore would be enough of a fix.  

It may seem rude to you for people to abruptly shut you out, but that is their prerogative and it would be foolish to try to enforce something else. 

your missing the point entirely. It is that the ignore function in its present form is being used for something it was almost certainly not intended and that it is also creating potential collateral due to its over usage.

also the report a player button ONLY works if the  player has been in a game with you. if it is someone being belligerent or vulgar in clan or region chat you can do nothing about it except hit thee ignore button in the one of very few instances where it makes sense to use it.

I think it's my right to set every racist, immature, bully that I don't want to listen to ignore.

You do know how often some of us just get bullied and have threats made at right? I need to ignore every other user because so many of them hate my guts.

I shouldn't have to listen to them harass me just because you're upset some nobody ignored you in trade chat

I don't think you can abuse a choice.

It's a function intended to let people not hear other people. It works.

Deciding to take excessive prescription opiates without due reason is choice. 

just because prescription opiates exist doesn't mean we should take them to numb everything shearly because we can. that logic is very bad.

I think it's my right to set every racist, immature, bully that I don't want to listen to ignore.

You do know how often some of us just get bullied and have threats made at right? I need to ignore every other user because so many of them hate my guts.

I shouldn't have to listen to them harass me just because you're upset some nobody ignored you in trade chat

you miss my point entirely. my point is that instead of self isolating those people on a user by user basis there should be instead a method by which to more EASILY report them. Instead of the convoluted out of the way one we have now.

^ why should we report them when we can just ignore them?

Reporting is not going to make the guy telling me to kill myself stop for quite a while. The ignore button solves the issue in an instant, then I report him and let the devs take care of him.

I shouldn't have to report him, then wait for them to do something before he finally shuts up

Deciding to take excessive prescription opiates without due reason is choice. 

just because prescription opiates exist doesn't mean we should take them to numb everything shearly because we can. that logic is very bad.

you miss my point entirely. my point is that instead of self isolating those people on a user by user basis there should be instead a method by which to more EASILY report them. Instead of the convoluted out of the way one we have now.

After seeing you write stuff like this, I'd also put you on ignore. A drug reference comparison? That's just insane.

I've had a person spam me invites to missions over and over once, so what the hell I said, he must need help, so I helped him run missions over the course of a few days. I informed him of things like "don't activate a life support on 99% it adds 30%" because yes, he was doing it. I informed him not to go run off and melee things 5 tiles away, and all the other things we normally tell newer players.

He still did it. Well, people can play how they like, I don't mind.

He also ignored questions, never replied to me if English was his primary language - probably was not - and after missions he usually just dropped out and disconnected without any warning.

Again, whatever, I don't know the guy. Problem is, probably because I helped him those times, the spam invites kept coming more frequently that I was comfortable with. I did not put him on "ignore" but  moved my "accept invites - from friends only" to stop it.

To do so is an example of CHOICE, and here you are saying that doing this is "toxic" because I'm "isolating myself from people".

You hand out your phone number to total strangers? Tell everyone where you live? Leave your door unlocked?

Pretty sure you don't , so it sounds to me you are isolating yourself from people as well.

Random strangers on the internet are not my friends. There is million of them, and If I choose to ignore them, or block them, it has nothing to do with you, and you have no right to say otherwise.

Edited by DSpite

Absolutely not, how else am I supposed to ignore people like you that spam invites and try to get as much platinum as they can out of me by saying offer. Not to mention someone that would create a post like this. If I could, I would create 1000 different accounts just to send you a message and then ignore.

Edited by [DE]Danielle
Removed hidden post