Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

I Think I Have Been Cursed

(PSN)Dark-TailedFox

Since its coming close to the superstitious Friday the 13th, I felt it was a good time to share something.

12239698_1007659225964836_13689030130227

12208713_1007658129298279_73237239592798

12241436_1007658119298280_91080472818157

12072575_1007658142631611_16214447565579

I feel like I may have been cursed by some unforeseen force within Warframe. Could it be Stalker? Nightmare Lotus? Some ancient Orokin spirit out for revenge? I have no idea...

(Sorry for the giant screenshots, I can't crop it down for anything :/)

Already the Church father Ireneus had pointed out that 666 is a mistranslation.

The actual cursed number is 616.

So I don't think you're cursed.

Actually, we have no idea which number it is. It's 666 in Latin and 616 in Greek, but we have absolutely no idea which of the two was written first. Partly because we have no idea who the author was (was it a Hebrew man under Roman rule? A Roman man exiled to Greece? The same man who penned the Gospel of John? We have no idea)

Already the Church father Ireneus had pointed out that 666 is a mistranslation.

The actual cursed number is 616.

So I don't think you're cursed.

If you adjust the number as it's translated yes. But the original number is in Hebrew for Nero Caesar, a much disliked figure in that age. As each letter can also be assigned a numerical value and in those times that was how they were written, names can be discovered to add up to 666 in some way.

Here's a numberphile video on the subject.

Actually, we have no idea which number it is. It's 666 in Latin and 616 in Greek

Perfectly true, but the Greek version is usually considered older. The whole NT was originally written in Greek (we could examine here the notion that say Q was originally in Aramaic and was incorporated into Matthew and Luke only one copy was translated to Greek, but that's neither here nor there).

As for our ignorance on the identity of the author, that's also perfectly true (although he calls himself John, and we do know that he was a %!& under Roman authority because Rome ruled over Judea). It is almost surely not written by the same author of John (the language and the themes are remarkably different).

That said, a Greek origin was more likely. All other NT books were authored in Greek. This book was written on a Greek island and, even after its Latin translation, kept a Greek name (Apocalypse). All of our earliest and best copies are in Greek. So...

That said, who knows :-D