Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

De! Y U No Man At Arms?!

VectorWolf

functional, and usable as a Weapon, are very different things.

correct grade Steel to make a Weapon out of, would be SO strong - your Hydraulic Hammer is liable to break trying to flatten the Ingot into a more workable piece.

Steel that has achieved the correct Crystalline structure is basically indestructible while still having enough give to not shatter.

make no mistake, the grades of Metals being used there are chosen for being 'good enough for something that will be tossed into a Warehouse' and easy to work with.

not chosen because it's Weapons grade Metal.

Yeah. And yet humans were able to work this super metal with just a hammer and muscle. You don't know the first thing about smithing or metallurgy. I sincerely hope this was you trolling.

Yeah. And yet humans were able to work this super metal with just a hammer and muscle.

yes. working such Ingots took more than 12 hours of constant hammer work with two people swinging.

every single hit being completely unnoticable of it actually having done anything.

the Hydrauling Hammer is liable to break it's hammer face because instead of applying some force and then stopping, it will attempt to crush it, which is good luck.

worse still if the hammer face is made out of Cungsten Targlide (i'm sure someone will get that nickname), where it may just shatter from hitting a similarly sturdy material.

i encourage you to broaden your horizons on the different grades of Metal that have been long forgotten and only marginally understood in modern times.

you, instead, know very little about Metallurgy history.

Crucible Steel for example, is a beautifully simple thing, yet requires incredible precision and mastery quite ironically, with no room for any mistakes of any kind at all.

BTW, you don't happen to go by the name of "Ringwraith #5" on another forum, do you?

same name in as many places that allow (so if some random person or bot hasn't taken the name already, or some dumb Corporation account systems (like Publishers) where i have to use a different name because the name is already taken by my very own account.

Honest game trailer hasn't touch this game even there're many suggestion on destiny one.

What weapon should be forged?

Skana? Nah too simple even it is iconic.

Dakra P ..... May be

Jet kitty .... Too heavy

Galantine ..... Too long it will be wobble like masamune

Dragon nikana? may be we should wait for nikana p

Karyst ... Great choice, compact knife with damascus pattern.

they make Decorative Weapons.

the wrong grades of materials are used most of the time. grades which would be fine to construct a building with, but a complete nono for making a Weapon.

it's not entirely their fault though, correct forging and metallurgy techniques have been forgotten for thousands of years, and we need to read ancient documents and learn about our own history to remember the correct ways to make different styles of Weapons.

Yet for being a "decorative weapon" im sure you don't want to get hit with anything ive seen them make. Having the "correct" techniques isn't all that important when making a replica of a Fantasy or Scifi weapon or Tool.

I used to comment on their video every week saying to do squalls gunblade (which theyve now done) and one of the skanas from wf.

And after years of seeing them make weapons from pointless animoos and the even more annoying league of leg ends, i no longer bother and simply wait for the interesting builds, like the meteorite sword and the one made of old scissors (despite it also being rather silly).

Plus we all know it should be skana prime they make, and people would moan that they didnt buy founders =P

correct grade Steel to make a Weapon out of, would be SO strong - your Hydraulic Hammer is liable to break trying to flatten the Ingot into a more workable piece.

Steel that has achieved the correct Crystalline structure is basically indestructible while still having enough give to not shatter.

make no mistake, the grades of Metals being used there are chosen for being 'good enough for something that will be tossed into a Warehouse' and easy to work with.

You do not understand tempering nor how steel works do you?

Steel with no stable structure is "soft"

Tempering and hardening are processes that increase the hardness of a metal by giving it a consistent structure.

You are also completely ignoring a major fact of hot working a metal. That metal is VERY soft in that glowing or near glowing state. With standard thicknesses of sword metal( a few mm, the katana is a thick metal blade at a massive 8mm at times) you could very easily bend that metal with your bare hands and a couple pairs of tongs.

Another major thing about extremely hard steels is that you lose a key factor of a swords durability, it's ability to flex. A European sword was spring tempered and had the ability to flex and deal with major impacts against metal. A Japanese style tempering had a differential hardening which was prone to chipping and had very little flex, this allowed for the whole blade to work slightly better for cutting at the a severe cost to durability.

A modern $60 high carbon steel blade(1045, maybe 1060) with a decent modern spring temper generally kicks the ! of most ancient blades.

A high end katana will cost you upwards of 1k, but a cheap one made out of the same metal will cost you less than 100.

http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=MA003B&name=Masahiro+Sakura+Katana

http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=SJ6&name=Skyjiro+Forge+-+Kumo+Katana+

.65% carbon is akin to 1065 high carbon.

Using a lower carbon content means less edge retention capability and less hardness, but much longer lasting due to the more flexible internal structure.

Crucible Steel for example, is a beautifully simple thing, yet requires incredible precision and mastery quite ironically, with no room for any mistakes of any kind at all.

Crucible steel is an iron alloy(steel) created in a crucible with a higher level of precision mixtures than the old blast furnaces were capable of producing.

That is it. It is that simple.

You know what replaced it? Graded steels based on their composition.

Edited by Deadoon

they make Decorative Weapons.

the wrong grades of materials are used most of the time. grades which would be fine to construct a building with, but a complete nono for making a Weapon.

it's not entirely their fault though, correct forging and metallurgy techniques have been forgotten for thousands of years, and we need to read ancient documents and learn about our own history to remember the correct ways to make different styles of Weapons.

Edit:

Glaive is pretty indicative of Dark Sector and Warframe, and while it would certainly require a Master to use effectively in Combat, it would be effective in the hands of one.

Just because you read in some ancient text about a sword that performed very well and how it was created does not mean it can keep up with modern technology.

Here is one example from my field of work:

The vintage of 1503 was considered the best wine of the century in germany.

It was sought after by kings and queens.

Historians looked for every reference and description of this wine and tried to compare it to modern wines.

In this day and age it would be well below average.

Reasons: if you have no chemicals to keep your grapes free from diseases and pests or else they will start to rot.

If you can't keep th healthy you have to harvest early.

An early harvest means the vine has had no time to produce sugar and aroma.

1503 was special because it was above average for that time.

When paper is expensive, and most people are unable to read or write you don't bother writing down ordinary things, you focus on the special things

Edited by Helch0rn

which is why the best Steel is a mixture of Rigidity and flex.

something modern steel only partially reproduces.

does not mean it can keep up with modern technology.

such Steel has almost no imperfections and is minimum as good as the best Carbon Steel produced today. a crafted sample and a modern sample actually in that case resulted in the crafted sample being slightly more perfect.

such Steel has almost no imperfections and is minimum as good as the best Carbon Steel produced today. a crafted sample and a modern sample actually in that case resulted in the crafted sample being slightly more perfect.

Great job ignoring all points made against you and providing zero evidence for your side

TL;DR: Proof?

Edited by Helch0rn

Off topic

Also if you wanna see top of the line swords check out chiness cutlery spring steel kitanas. They can cut into metal.

Holy sh@t. Thanks for this. 

Around a decade ago (ugh), I was seriously looking at these guys to buy a sword. All the homework I did said they were the real deal at a good price, but I just couldn't justify speeding the money. I always sorta regretted it.

I couldn't remember the name of the company or anything from so long ago, and that favorite was saved on a long gone PC. When I saw this name and went to the site, I recognized it all immediately. Cool to see they are still around.

The steel itself isn't what causes that purely.

The process of tempering it is what gives the balance of rigidity and flex.

Guess what? A modern swordsmith uses the exact same method of tempering that was used a thousand years ago all across europe and asia. Heat, quench, heat, stabilize. Creates consistent structure while also giving the blade the ability to deform temporarily, but return to original shape(Spring). Japan used a modified method involving clay to cause different hardnesses of material to form giving the blade a durability that was better than a full hardened blade(heat and quench only), but had similar edge retention properties. This method is the reasoning for the wavy edge of traditional type blades.

Focusing too much on one sacrifices the other. The best balanced steel around might be considered 5160 high carbon spring steel. Good hardness, good flex and very resistant to permanent deformation.

Also one other thing: a graded steel is something that you know the composition with extreme precision without any further experimentation or knowledge.

I love it how your ignoring 2 posts from guys (on page1 DOGE-of-the-void, page2 Deadon) that know more metallurgy then you, they destroyed your arguments yet somehow you don't want defend your points vs them, instead you concentrate on anyone else that don't agree with you but seam to lack the professional knowledge in the matter.

Carry on.

correct grade Steel to make a Weapon out of, would be SO strong - your Hydraulic Hammer is liable to break trying to flatten the Ingot into a more workable piece.

Most bladed weapons go through heat treatment.

which a pearlite is easier to be forged into shape/ grind into shape 

than lets say cementite or martensite.

Yes higher grade materials can be made into weapons, just that you would need to expend more tools

which adds into the cost.

A weapon besides the material durability, also material availability and cost.

Fancy a weapon in Warframe that requires 1000 argon crystals, 500 orokin reactors, 400 orokin catalysts, 500 formas.

Yeah you might see few peope having it.

Or make a sword out of tungsten carbide, which I wonder how much tools is going to be worn out making it.

Cost efficiency affects the outlook of a weapon.

Guns replaced swords because lower grade steel barrel and lead bullets 

would simply trash the work of a sword smith in battle

In short the time taken to hire a sword smith to make one sword 

might be possible to make 5 muskets and arm 5 soldiers

who with little to no training can point the thing at a master swordsman enemy and pop him off

Edited by Ada_Wong_SG

Im not trying to be salty but as I have some experience in the metal world I can shed some light on the situation. First of all there is no metal that we know of that is so "strong" that it can not be flattened under a hydraulic hammer when heated. The hammers hit at minimum of 1.5tones which is far stronger than any human being in existance has ever hit and even if you could find someone who could swing that hard they whould have to hit the.metal atleast 5times per second to match the hydraulic hammer.

The steels they use are most of the time over kill for what they use them for, do you know how strong spring steel is? Its not "cheap and tacky" at all its used make car leaf springs for a reason. Spring steel is stronger than the materials used to make orignal katanas which would normally be a carbon based steel that has been folded numerous times but, its full of imperfections unlike steel made by precision based technology.

From a previous comment you made you noted that forging techniques have been "lost" lol wut? They have never been lost they have been improved upon by modern blacksmiths that make there blades even stronger than the blacksmiths from eons ago.

Though one must say those weapons will be mostly mono steal variants with cheaper industrial steal with simple smithing techniques.^^

And that makes the difference between a sword for 50 bucks and a swords starting with at least 4 zeros behind the number or with 6 numbers total like some nihontos.

And smithing techniques in europes where lost till the 19th century. Just not today any more with most techniques.^^ Like the original process for making damascus steel is still unknown though many claim it´s not.

And i can totally understand someone that want them to make a real craftsman masterpiece with the best techniques and materials available. Though that would be unrealistic.