The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Hitching/ Stuttering After U18?

crafturtoemc

I have tested with all the possible window modes (fullscreen, borderless and windowed), none seem to affect this problem in any meaningful way. I also tried running warframe with no other programs running simultaneously, same results, still hitching at steady intervals.

Should I be adding this info to my ticket?

I am expiriencing huge fps drops after u18 too, where can i find that EElog ? 

The EE.log is under your appdata folder. The full path should be similar to this    C:\Users\*your profile*\AppData\Local\Warframe

EDIT: Here's better info from the support page

EE.log file: This file can be found in the following folders according to your operating system:

•  For Windows Vista and above:

%LOCALAPPDATA%\Warframe

•  For Windows XP:

%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Warframe

Edited by WastedAlmond

I have tested with all the possible window modes (fullscreen, borderless and windowed), none seem to affect this problem in any meaningful way. I also tried running warframe with no other programs running simultaneously, same results, still hitching at steady intervals.

Thank you. Can you tell me if you experience these perf issues at all when playing solo or is it strictly a multiplayer issue?

That goes for anyone else as well. We are very interested to know if this can still occur while playing solo.

Keep in mind that we are not focusing on the occasional hitch that may occur while playing, but instead the gradual increase of hitches that eventually results in the game being unplayable (as many of you have mentioned) -- just want to reiterate this as we continue to investigate the problem.

I get the hitches in both single- and multiplayer. If I'm hosting then the clients will experience the hitches as "lag spikes"(enemies running in place etc. and then a sudden resync). These lag spikes would happen mostly after my hitching got pretty bad (over 1 second). Playing solo might cause the hitching to start slightly later, but in both cases after 30-40 minutes the hitching gets quite bad.

When playing as a client I do not deteriorate the performance of others as far as I know.

Not sure if this is the same issue, but I noticed terrible performane drops on eris with infested enemies shooting all kinds of goo that has a lot of particle effects. Minimizing and maximising seems to clear them and the performance temporaly goes back to normal. I don't remember it being THAT bad before U18

Thank you. Can you tell me if you experience these perf issues at all when playing solo or is it strictly a multiplayer issue?

That goes for anyone else as well. We are very interested to know if this can still occur while playing solo.

Keep in mind that we are not focusing on the occasional hitch that may occur while playing, but instead the gradual increase of hitches that eventually results in the game being unplayable (as many of you have mentioned) -- just want to reiterate this as we continue to investigate the problem.

What starts the hitches is playing multiplayer, but the problem still persist if you go multi then solo. Playing all solo for me doesn't stutter anything.

Since this thread has active staff reading it, I would like to comment on an unrelated performance issue happening since U18:

While a Kubrow is my active companion (possibly related: Sahasa Kubrow using the complete pack that came in the Trinity prime accessories pack), accessing the Arsenal and viewing mods (either entering or exiting the mod view, regardless of which mod-capable item I'm viewing) will cause the game to freeze for a very noticeable time.

It doesn't happen at all when I'm using a Sentinel.

Well well... I had completely forgotten about the solo option for the game. And it would seem that solo works fine, I have been running friends only for ages and forgot that there was an actual "solo" option. So just having an online session (of any form, even alone) seems to trigger this.

Will run this survival until 60 minutes to be sure.

Edited by WastedAlmond

https://forums.warfr...post-patch-180/

https://forums.warfr...g-and-freezing/

https://forums.warfr...rformance-bugs/

https://www.reddit.c...s_in_warframe/ 

https://www.reddit.c..._drop_with_u18/

https://www.reddit.c..._hit_since_u18/

and yep only happens when going multiplayer

Edited by g43riel

If I start the game and play Solo from the start and never go to Public, it's smooth.

But curiously, if I play Public and get in a team, I get the progressively worse hitching as per usual, but then if I go to Solo for the next mission, it still hitches a little bit (though not nearly as bad as in Public with a team). So Solo isn't smooth after a stint of hitching Public.

I then have to exit the game and re-enter if I want the perfectly smooth Solo gameplay back.

I wonder if it's some kind of "switch" that's switched on with Public, that then stays on even if you come out of Public and back into Solo?

Edited by Omnimorph

It happens mostly in a team, but I have noticed it in Solo play a few times.  Often times if I restart the game it gets rid of it, but eventually it will return.  Alt+tab'ing to check forums or whatever seems to make the issue worse at times, but not always.  Honestly it seems to have some non-consistent triggers. 

Edited by ClockworkSpectre

At least on my end it's confirmed, performance is normal when in Solo mode. Performance starts deteriorating if i change to an online mode.

As someone earlier stated, switching from an online mode back to Solo won't restore performance. A restart of the game is necessary when the hitching gets heavy.

Edited by WastedAlmond

Hello,

I have tested this extensively. This is what happens:

I enter Warframe and find myself in the Lisset. I have the little info window open with the FPS and Ping Time showing. 

My standard ms time is around 20.ms It always has been.

If I play a game solo, then I have experienced a very very söight  form of stuttering, but the game is still playable. The problem is soley in multiplayer mode

Once I enter a game with 3 other players, the ms time stays around 20 ms up to about 1 minute of play. Then I see it starting to jump. 

Every 3 or 4 seconds it starts jumping from 20 to 25, and progressivley increases. I would say the time lapse to the next bigger ms lag is about 20 seconds, then I see the ms time jumping from 20 to 40. When it jumps up, it hangs there for a millisecond or two. As the lag increases, so does the freeze time. Eventuelly after about 3 or 4 minutes play, I am noticing a lag of up to and over 1500ms, and the freezes become a few seconds long, and this continues untill the screen freezes completely. Usually followed by "Connection to host lost, returning to multiplayer menu"

I have however had a different scenario. Just as I was at a frozen screen and was expecting to be kicked,, the other 3 members dropped, and I was the only play in the mission, and suddenly the ms time was back down to 20 and I could play as normal.

If however I do loose connection, I have to restart the game, as the freezing of the screen remains in the menu, its like a quick freeze every 3 or 4 seconds and it is not random. The freeze is at a steady pulse, like every 4 seconds and not erratic or random. 

As I say, only restarting the game will get rid of this. 

It is not possible to play a multiplayer, drop out and then play solo, as whatever is causing the stuttering remains i nthe system untill i restart the game. If I start Warframe, go stright to solo mode and play, i can play all night. 

I am no expert, but it certainly seems to be network related. Its as if (I dont know how else to explain it) my game is searching for an IP, or an dress for something, and cant find it. Its like doing a ping and no answer returns and you get a timeout. The loss of connection to host certainly seems to come from an overly long ping time and the game thinks you have disconnected. Obviously playing solo wouldnt generate this as the game is not searching for other network components when playing solo.

I tried to look at my Network properties of windows whilst ingame, but once I alt-Tabbed out, I couldnt get back in and had to kill the process to stop the game.

Just to add, I tried verifying and optimising Cache, I tried switching between Windowed and full screen mode, i tried in DX10 and DX11. I dont use any other programms whilst playing. No comms programms. I use Wifi. I made no system changes since U17, this came soley with the introduction of U18

I hope this helps any further, as I still cant play in a squad at all, and I so want to do the sorties :) (cant do them on my own!)

Oh, I will be trying 1 more thing. I wanted to play the game directly from the launcher and not throught Steam launcher. So I started the Launcher exe file from the Warframe folder, but I will have to redownload another 7.5 Gig or so to see if it works,, will do that overnight and retest tomorrow.

I did allready submit my EE.log but when I see things like :

118.451 Net [Error]: NetDriver::Update connection timeout detected! Destroying connection to 127.0.0.1:4955 due to timeout of 7.50386.

or 

213.754 Phys [Error]: 1 static entities deleted at runtime; eg:
213.754 Phys [Error]:     /Layer4/ReplicatedBlockingVolume1
213.754 Phys [Error]: If this happens during gameplay it could cause performance problems!

or 

261.016 Sys [Warning]: Failed to add UPnP port mapping from UDP 4955 to 192.168.1.5:4955 (error: 0x80040207)

Im Thinking network ,,, but I also see this :

266.077 Sys [Error]: Can't create header stream for /Lotus/Fx/Levels/ClanDojo/Research/WFResearchEmitter.fbx (not in Windows cache)
266.077 Sys [Error]: Could not preprocess: /Lotus/Fx/Levels/ClanDojo/Research/WFResearchEmitter.fbx (not in cache manifest)
266.087 Sys [Error]: Can't create header stream for /Lotus/Objects/Tenno/Structural/TnoOrbHallwayCeilingCornerB.fbx (not in Windows cache)
266.087 Sys [Error]: Could not preprocess: /Lotus/Objects/Tenno/Structural/TnoOrbHallwayCeilingCornerB.fbx (not in cache manifest)
266.093 Sys [Error]: Can't create header stream for /Lotus/Objects/Natural/Skybox/Space/NebulaeAplaneB.fbx (not in Windows cache)
266.093 Sys [Error]: Could not preprocess: /Lotus/Objects/Natural/Skybox/Space/NebulaeAplaneB.fbx (not in cache manifest)

And I verified and optimised my cache so I dont know where this is coming from.

Plus the other errors in the EE.log, there were a few :)
Edited by Veemaxt

My game definitely does it in solo and multiplayer. It starts off slowing in singleplayer but eventually it renders the game unplayable. I have managed to Sortie missions, but for each stage I have to quit the game and restart, if I don't by the 3rd stage, it is a slideshow. 4sec of play and 1 sec of hitching. Which given the level of enemies is simply not worth undertaking.

My game definitely does it in solo and multiplayer. It starts off slowing in singleplayer but eventually it renders the game unplayable. I have managed to Sortie missions, but for each stage I have to quit the game and restart, if I don't by the 3rd stage, it is a slideshow. 4sec of play and 1 sec of hitching. Which given the level of enemies is simply not worth undertaking.

The worst part is to have people around saying "go check and update your driver"  or "Turn off SLI"  "Turn this off, Turn off That", when they just dont get that it started after the update so the problem is not on our part...

After lowering the GPU/CPU usage by disabling some demanding effects on third party apps, I managed to get 60FPS back, Auto V-Sync could probably not be working right.

I expected auto v-sync, to disable v-sync when it detects FPS below the refresh rate, instead it lock my FPS to 30, like normal V-Sync does.

Did a Pluto Heiricon today, and for the second time my fps dropped from the normal 80-112 down to 25-30fps, and the common denominator was there was a Saryn in the group again putting spores on everything. It could be a coincidence, but it might be something.

I saved my log and uploaded it to support ticket 473663