Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Mega Spoilers] To Those Who Dislike Being ...

Omnimorph

Keeping them in the Second Dream would have been a far more merciful thing to do than awaking them to let them know they're a slave.

I....actually think that this is a very strange conclusion to come to. 

How is the Operator a slave? We see the Tenno keep fighting because we (including you), the players, log in and do missions. Otherwise, player and Operator can and do refuse missions. The Lotus doesn't force us to do anything. Regarding the missions she sends us on? She basically bribes us to do them. "Operator, there's an alert. Bad things are being done by bad people. If you go there and slaughter them, there's a potato blueprint in it for you."

That's not slavery. If you can say "No, I'm not going to do that because I don't want to," and then walk away free of any consequences, you are not a slave.

Since the Second Dream the Tenno are more free than they have been for over a thousand years. The Orokin stuffed us into Transference pods and made us fight a war for them, and then we got put on ice for centuries. Now? For the first time in ever, the Tenno have direct custody and control of their own bodies. Seriously, think about that as a visual metaphor. You did the Second Dream quest and you literally took your body back.

The only reason there isn't an option for the Tenno to say "Actually, I think I'm going to take a month off. I'm going to land my awesome stealth spaceship on Earth and use my Archwing to go scuba diving in the Pacific Ocean," is because that would be kind of a weird thing for DE to program into the game. Totally awesome, mind. But a bit weird.

If the next patch included the option to do exactly that, to say "No, I'm not going to war today. I'm going to go and do a completely non-combat exploration mission on Earth. It won't be about credits or resources or weapon components, it'll be just chilling the clemclem! out, exploring forests and oceans. Maybe I'll climb a mountain," would that make you happier? I'd like it. That'd be really cool.

But.....as things stand, you can sort of do something like that anyway. If you wanted to, you could log in to Warframe, and not do any missions. At all. You could chill in your Orbiter and play with your Kubrow. You could visit Relays and talk to other Tenno, hang out with Darvo, argue politics with the Syndicates, mess around with the simulation spaces in Simaris' Sanctuary. You can spend all day in your clan Dojo, meditating in the gardens, playing around in the obstacle course, dueling your clan buddies, just staring out at the beauty of the solar system from the obs deck.

I'm not reaching or making this up. These are all things which are part of the game, right now. Literally no-one is forcing you to go fight anyone. If you want to roleplay a Tenno who has woken up from the Dream and who decides to be a pacifist, that is quite genuinely a cool idea, and there is nothing stopping you from doing it.

I am very much in favour of Earth exploration, though. I do wanna go scuba diving! DE, can pls code for non-combat, exploration missions? Make the challenge all about using parkour to reach really difficult spots on the map? What's the reward for finishing this mission? Uhh....rare...jungle orchid, um, Prime. Yeah. Jungle Orchid Prime.

Why not add some more to that, since there seems to be an case where seperating the Gameplay and the Lore just won't be accepted by others.

The Tenno's true selves need to be kept a secret, why risk that when you come out of the Warframe's chest to blast enemies with Void energy?

The survivors could easily run back to their commanders and explain what they've seen, allies of the Tenno could be captured and tortured to finally give up this information.

If the Operator just appears as an apparition to foes and enemies, what's the point to have them be customized? For your own like? What is this, last time I looked this wasn't a single player RPG.

You want to use the lore to shield yourselves from the unpleasant fact that DE added something they thought "be cool" and it ended up not only breaking continuity but look stupid as hell when executed in-game. Fine.

Again, what's the point of having Lotus show emotional reaction to Mirage's death? Why give a damn about Limbo rift walking into the neverending story? Why should there be a need to care about Excalibur's death or the death of Mag during The Profit trailer?

I sure didn't care because "Oh noes! He might use those spare parts to make his toilet ring collar bigger!" no, I cared because I saw people in danger, allies in danger, fellow warriors dying in a terrible battle.

That sense is now gone, because the Tenno has been revealed to as puppets and no matter how many times the "Warframe breaking War" moment is brought up, as well as the countless times where the Warframe bleeds, is poisioned or is losing oxygen, that won't change until DE stops slapping their backs and puffing smoke in victory and actually provides us with solid information.

Heck, I'm surprised no one has pointed out that from a story perspective, The Second Dreams ending is a cruel.

You were under the impression of being a Warrior, made for fighting. It was a situation you could accept, because what else was there?

Now however, we are told it was a dream and we wake up to find that we were used as tools, controlling suits of armor from afar. You'd think we'd be allowed some freedom now when we're free from this state of being?

Not at all, back in the pods you go and save the system! Not because I asked you, but because I'm telling you to.

Was there really any point to awaken someone, just to tell them that for the rest of their lives, they would have to do the exact same thing they've done all along, difference is now they have a cool superpower. Yay.

Letting the Operator do nothing else than just sit in a chair, doing everything as their proxy doesn't sound like anything I'd like to do. For the rest of ones life, then it's better to be killed by the Stalker. Having a singular purpose as a tool of war, a Warframe, is something one can accept, that's all you are.

But as a human being, a thinking, feeling indiviudal, a child, this type of existance is not only cruel, it's downright evil.

I have to use my powers through a walking war platform because of a freak accident I couldn't help or control? Why?

The Tenno was never asked, they were told and they're still told.

And because this type of Narrative DE has chosen to take, one were the main character is "The Hero" and not someone anonymous whose response the player can easily fill out themselves, "The Hero" will always side with the Lotus no matter what. When in reality, a person with thoughts and feelings would immediatley go against the notion of being a prisoner in their own body, which they were and still are. Only difference they know they are.

"Dream not of what you are, but of what you want to be."

"I don't want to be chained up like this. I don't care if the system burns to the ground around me, I didn't ask for it. I want my f***ing freedom."

It's a selfish thing to think, but it's equally as selfish to use someone as a pawn because of what they can do, never giving them a choice or say in the matter. Because it's better for everyone else.

"The needs of the many outweights the needs of the few." are beautiful words to quote, but they really only hold true weight and meaning if there's a choice to do so. Forcing someone to accept such a sacrifice of personal freedom is a horrible thing to do.

Keeping them in the Second Dream would have been a far more merciful thing to do than awaking them to let them know they're a slave.

That puts it in a much larger perspective. Tenno's lives are a lot more grimdark then I thought. And here I was thinking having been used as child soldiers was bad but that was only for the extent of time they were actually children.

Living your life through proxy bodies, bodies that relay the torture of an living autopsy; just to experience the world. Meanwhile everytime you come back to your ship and see youself you're reminded of what you really are and that your real body can never match the dream. That's pretty bleak.

Edited by (PS4)Lowk721

No, it wouldn't have been merciful to leave the Tenno there. How would you feel if someone close to you had knowledge of someone on the verge of murdering you but, chose to keep it secret and just letting you think you're safe? The Tenno were awoken because they were in danger, not to say they are slaves.

You're twisting a lot of the lore and meaning to fit your opinion as if it was a fact. There is essentially an answer for everything. The gravity of a Warframe's death is still present because it's transference, not remote-control piloting.

trans·fer
verb

transˈfər,ˈtransfər/
  1. 1.
    move from one place to another.
    "he would have to transfer money to his own account"

2. 2.
    change to another place, route, or means of transportation during a journey.
    "John advised him to transfer from Rome airport to the railroad station"

trans·fer·ence
transˈfərəns,ˈtransfərəns/
noun

1. the action of transferring something or the process of being transferred.
    "education involves the transference of knowledge"
    • PSYCHOANALYSIS
      the redirection to a substitute, usually a therapist, of emotions that were originally felt in childhood (in a phase of analysis called transference neurosis ).

Based on the definition and dialog from the Operator, they are putting their consciousness and essence into another body. When you die or get downed(?), the Tenno will say lines about it hurting in a pained voice. The Tenno literally feel everything while inhabiting the Warframe. That Mirage felt herself being crashed onto and being disintegrated, Limbo felt his body being blown/ripped apart, and Excalibur felt his body being severed on display.

My conclusion based on this information is that the Tenno can die if the Warframe is destroyed completely or decapitated while their real bodies were dreaming. Why? because that is the only body they have because it's the only one they are aware of. If these dead Tenno had several Warframes, i'd say their consciousness could be transferred to another surrogate body.

Our Tenno have the benefit of being awake, so they know their Warframe is a surrogate. They can snap back to their real awakened body instead of experiencing death.

Edited by EmptyDevil

LOL, I see that some people are still determined to be edgy and find some way of seeing Lotus as "evil" despite all the evidence to the contrary and despite DE's firm statement that she isn't and never will be.

Face it guys, she ain't gonna "turn", she's pretty much what it says on the tin.  A redeemed villain.

LOL, I see that some people are still determined to be edgy and find some way of seeing Lotus as "evil" despite all the evidence to the contrary and despite DE's firm statement that she isn't and never will be.

Face it guys, she ain't gonna "turn", she's pretty much what it says on the tin.  A redeemed villain.

Wait, I heard about that! Some people apparently got a bugged version of the Second Dream's cutscenes, where instead of the Lotus saying "I love you, I want you to be ok, and I want you to build a future for yourself," she explained that she has the administrator control over your ship's systems, and she'll turn off your life support if you don't help her conquer the solar system.

She ended a civilization by manipulation alone. She still controls the same force she used back then to end the orokin.

History is written by those that "won" and war is "won" by those that remain.

Had history taken another turn all the founding fathers of USA would be remembered as dangerous terrorists and nothing else.

Besides the only true evil would be a human considering that all villains and evildoers ever created steam from the imagination of a human.

Gaze into the abyss long enough...you know the rest.

So yes Lotus is evil. Right now she is evil to the grineer and the corpus only time will tell if the "tenno" are next.

-snip-

Is all your fuss because you can't play as the Operator? If so, just give DE some time to allow that to happen. I highly doubt DE would make such an important character for us and confine them to a chair. I really want to play as my Operator too.

There isn't a reason to question Lotus because we know what the goal is - to maintain balance in the system. We stop other factions from growing too large and trying to subjugate the civilians.

As for Stalker's description of the Tenno in his codex, he said they were silent and it makes sense if you're about to slaughter a bunch of people during a ceremony. You don't honestly expect them to chatter as normal while preparing to do such a thing. They probably do communicate through a Warframe connection or transmissions they see in their HUD.

The size of the Zariman is largely irrelevant. The amount of children that became afflicted with the Void was answered by Lotus and it was all of them. 

We'll probably learn more about Stalker in the past from a future quest. He is referred to as Shadow by Hunhow and it most likely doesn't have any wild meaning like the Stalker-Operator-is-dead headcanon that people are trying to cling to. He didn't know what the Tenno or himself were, the quest made that clear.

I suggest you rewatch the cinematics on Youtube or something. It sounds like you didn't pay attention to some key parts or you're reading into things too much.

Edited by EmptyDevil

Oh. 

Well, yeah, in that case I agree with you.

Mang, if your problem is that the Operators appear to be physically crippled and don't do much, then I don't know why you made that big statement about how being woken up was the worst thing ever, and that the Tenno are effectively slaves.

Like I said, I do agree. I'd like to be able to walk around the ship as my Operator, inspect my weapons and Warframes as my Operator, give my Kubrow scritches behind the ears as my Operator. I'd like even more than that, I'd like to be able to visit the Clan Dojo as my Operator.

Visiting Relays as the Operator would be slightly odd, for two reasons. Out of lore, you would literally be a walking spoiler. In lore, visiting the Relay as your own actual body would be taking an insane risk with your safety.

Edited by BornWithTeeth

"Dream not of what you are, but of what you want to be."

"I don't want to be chained up like this. I don't care if the system burns to the ground around me, I didn't ask for it. I want my f***ing freedom."

Despite all your rage you're still just a rat in a cage.

The wonderful moment when the Grineer and Corpus realize that killing a Tenno = shooting the Liset is the moment both factions start focusing on radar and AA gun tech. Which we are rapidly facilitating with our DBZ belly beams.

Edited by Ziegrif

The wonderful moment when the Grineer and Corpus realize that killing a Tenno = shooting the Liset is the moment both factions start focusing on radar and AA gun tech. Which we are rapidly facilitating with our DBZ belly beams.

we have an advance stealth ship doe :c

Oh. 

Well, yeah, in that case I agree with you.

Mang, if your problem is that the Operators appear to be physically crippled and don't do much, then I don't know why you made that big statement about how being woken up was the worst thing ever, and that the Tenno are effectively slaves.

Like I said, I do agree. I'd like to be able to walk around the ship as my Operator, inspect my weapons and Warframes as my Operator, give my Kubrow scritches behind the ears as my Operator. I'd like even more than that, I'd like to be able to visit the Clan Dojo as my Operator.

Visiting Relays as the Operator would be slightly odd, for two reasons. Out of lore, you would literally be a walking spoiler. In lore, visiting the Relay as your own actual body would be taking an insane risk with your safety.

As for lore reasons, remember that tenno are kind or radioactive, you could do to your kubrow what happened to Kaleen or Margulis, just by been near, imagine in a relay, avoiding that is the whole reason for the surrogate bodies.

But the tenno is in the orbiter compartment that is hidden in the void not in the landing craft.

But the tenno is in the orbiter compartment that is hidden in the void not in the landing craft.

We are dragging around the orbiter around the galaxy otherwise we'd need to always travel to the void if we went inside the operators chambers.

And as is obvious we are not always in the void.

So yes the orbiter can be shot down if located.

Unless DE hand waives this with some BS we are ******.

Edited by Ziegrif

My problem with the operator is that they exist in the first place. 

Mind you not from a lore standpoint but from a gaming standpoint. 

I have zero need for this new npc in my liset. I never had nor will i ever have a need to customize such a thing. 

The animation for the focus system when you press 5 is one of the tackiest animations i have seen in a modern video game. 

As such i have rebound it to a key i will never press and deleted the only frame i had that got a lens installed. 

More customization or options to play as the operator would be meaningless to me. 

They could remove them from the game forever tomorrow and their effect on my game would be the same. 

Since the operator is stuck in the trunk of my liset and i dont use the focus system they as a whole have zero impact on my gameplay. 

You are in practice pressing 5 to summon a a humanoid laser that has a cooldown of around 3 min as of now until DE improve the system.  

Frankly i must have missed the point of it all. 

So the second dream can be summed up as 

TLDR you can now summon a portable laser, Enjoy. From a pure gameplay perspective. 

I doubt DE are content to pat their own backs and call it a day. 

You are most likely getting the ability to act as your operator later on in new quest. 

A quest i will not even play due to lack of need to even have a operator in the game. 

But judging by how most of you enjoyed the lore quest and seems to like the operator even at this beta stage it will most likely be seeing similar approval by the majority as the second dream has received. 

Edited by GhostLacuna

We are dragging around the orbiter around the galaxy otherwise we'd need to always travel to the void if we went inside the operators chambers.

And as is obvious we are not always in the void.

So yes the orbiter can be shot down if located.

Unless DE hand waives this with some BS we are ******.

I'm guessing they will wave it, the orbiter compartment and the landing craft are two different vessels, you're probably right we are dragging it  across the galaxy, but when on a mission we only see the landing craft and thats probably when the orbiter compartment is hidden as ordis has long been informing us.

My problem with the operator is that they exist in the first place. 

Mind you not from a lore standpoint but from a gaming standpoint. 

I have zero need for this new npc in my liset. I never had nor will i ever have a need to customize such a thing. 

The animation for the focus system when you press 5 is one of the tackiest animations i have seen in a modern video game. 

As such i have rebound it to a key i will never press and deleted the only frame i had that got a lens installed. 

More customization or options to play as the operator would be meaningless to me. 

They could remove them from the game forever tomorrow and their effect on my game would be the same. 

Since the operator is stuck in the trunk of my liset and i dont use the focus system they as a whole have zero impact on my gameplay. 

You are in practice pressing 5 to summon a a humanoid laser that has a cooldown of around 3 min as of now until DE improve the system.  

Frankly i must have missed the point of it all. 

So the second dream can be summed up as 

TLDR you can now summon a portable laser, Enjoy. From a pure gameplay perspective. 

I doubt DE are content to pat their own backs and call it a day. 

You are most likely getting the ability to act as your operator later on in new quest. 

A quest i will not even play due to lack of need to even have a operator in the game. 

But judging by how most of you enjoyed the lore quest and seems to like the operator even at this beta stage it will most likely be seeing similar approval by the majority as the second dream has received. 

When I finished the quest it didn't even ocurred to me that someone could dislike it, probably shocked me a bit more than the quest itself, but I think it attest to the eclecticism of the playerbase, reading comments for a while always gave me the impression that the game pull gamers from most themes and style of games, and because all this backgrounds the quest fail to impress all the playerbase.

I always liked the mystery of their identity, because i feared a reveal could be underwhelming, but it turn allright for me, and you're kind of right, mechanically speaking there is no use for the tenno, but I think this was an emotional strategy, meant to give complexity, albeit mostly emotional as the focus system is still in its infancy. You know how people say  "X warframe is my waifu" and such, that level of attachement that probably makes no sense to others and needs no merits. I've been watching  reaction videos and mostly seen that it hit players on a softspot. I don't see them changing it, but we still have to see how they pushed the idea further. thanks for reading.

I'm guessing they will wave it, the orbiter compartment and the landing craft are two different vessels, you're probably right we are dragging it  across the galaxy, but when on a mission we only see the landing craft and thats probably when the orbiter compartment is hidden as ordis has long been informing us.

Only thing the Grineer/ Corpus need is one Orbiter or Liset so they can figure out how they tick and start hunting them down.

And to find one they need to get lucky once. And the Stalker and Hunhow already know how to find Orbiters and Lisets through their wonderful plot magic.

Also I don't trust Ordis to keep our tin can hidden. He is broken after all. Never trust broken machinery to keep you safe.

I am eagerly waiting for a LOT of waving from DE.

Right now is the most vulnerable we've ever been.

Fixing Ordis so he doesn't screw up is priority A from my POV.

Edited by Ziegrif

The Tenno's innate power makes them a danger others by the defualt? Well yeah, but not because they're "radioactive" in a sense, to me it's more or less a case of uncontrollable power than anything else.

Kaleen dealt with the Tenno the first time they were encountered, first other human being they see for many years, they have new powers and do not know what to do with them, what do you think would happen? Of course an accident would occur!

And Margulis was never hurt by the Tenno, at least not from what I gathered, it was the Orokin higher ups that had her executed, "murdered" as Lotus puts it.

Kaleen Margulis, or Margulis Kaleen (whichever way round it should be) was definitely hurt by the Tenno (blinded wasn't it?) because they couldn't control their abilities - but she soldiered on trying to find a way to help them.

I think the most tragic thing is the way that they killed everyone on the Zariman, including their parents, and mostly probably by accident.  (Although in the "fight" response, we see differences of opinion among the Tenno, with some enjoying their new found power as a way to hurt others; and then with the "they treated us like rats" statement, we see evidence of some kind of organized opposition from the crew.)

You could probably have a whole story, drama and game based on what happened on the Zariman for those years.  It really reminds me of a cross between Lord of the Flies and BioShock - different "factions" and superpowers flying around with none of them knowing how to control them.  Quite a horrorshow it must have been.

Edited by Omnimorph

The Tenno's innate power makes them a danger others by the defualt? Well yeah, but not because they're "radioactive" in a sense, to me it's more or less a case of uncontrollable power than anything else.

Kaleen dealt with the Tenno the first time they were encountered, first other human being they see for many years, they have new powers and do not know what to do with them, what do you think would happen? Of course an accident would occur!

And Margulis was never hurt by the Tenno, at least not from what I gathered, it was the Orokin higher ups that had her executed, "murdered" as Lotus puts it.

So no, the Tenno's power do not cause damage over time, especially if we're to consider that they would have learned to control that power while being in their frames.

Focus both during TSD and with Focus as the 5th power shows the Tenno can control the Void Energy and have been able to do so for a very long time.

Unless Void Energy naturaly is just all laserbeams.

Practically we have seen void powers in two occasions, when we channel through melee and in the quest with the void laser, which the Lotus especifically asked us to focus our power, it stand to reason that when not focus, the power is emanated in a wider manner, probably as you say is not literally radioactive, but probably radiated in some manner. The Lore kind of hints at a emotional component, when met with Kaleen they were afraid and when they were with Margulis they were angry at being treated like rats, and probably frustrated because as we know "they" tried to help them and it is likely they were confined, and just like people that has been hospitalized for too long, and get jaded, frustated and angry.

Kaleen Margulis, or Margulis Kaleen (whichever way round it should be) was definitely hurt by the Tenno (blinded wasn't it?) because they couldn't control their abilities - but she soldiered on trying to find a way to help them.

I think the most tragic thing is the way that they killed everyone on the Zariman, including their parents, and mostly probably by accident.  (Although in the "fight" response, we see differences of opinion among the Tenno, with some enjoying their new found power as a way to hurt others; and then with the "they treated us like rats" statement, we see evidence of some kind of organized opposition from the crew.)

You could probably have a whole story, drama and game based on what happened on the Zariman for those years.  It really reminds me of a cross between Lord of the Flies and BioShock - different "factions" and superpowers flying around with none of them knowing how to control them.  Quite a horrorshow it must have been.

I think it is a bit early to equate Kaleen and Margulis, the difference in their injuries sets them apart, Kaleen practically had almost half her face carbonized, loosing part of her cheeks and mouth, while Margulis most notable injure was being blinded, the line of her husband remarks that and not something like "what they did to your face" or along those lines. I agree that is likely the most tragic that they may have killed their parents, I kinda had guess that one.

People saying they dissapointed because they play as remote controlled things.

yet assassins creed is doing that for 9 games and no one bats an eye.

Atleast we are not playing through some impossible memory controll bull****

Not a custom character. The Animus was established in the first game. The Animus is to this day considered the least liked aspect about the games. Asscreeds are being milked and rushed out the door on assembly lines, being on nine games is not saying anything special and the slipshod work of the latest ones is not something that DE should be looking to pointers for. Edited by UrielColtan

Only thing the Grineer/ Corpus need is one Orbiter or Liset so they can figure out how they tick and start hunting them down.

And to find one they need to get lucky once. And the Stalker and Hunhow already know how to find Orbiters and Lisets through their wonderful plot magic.

Also I don't trust Ordis to keep our tin can hidden. He is broken after all. Never trust broken machinery to keep you safe.

I am eagerly waiting for a LOT of waving from DE.

Right now is the most vulnerable we've ever been.

Fixing Ordis so he doesn't screw up is priority A from my POV.

Indeed, Grineer already obtained and pillaged our liset prior to our awakening, they should be rather familiar with what it does or how to locate it.

Edited by UrielColtan

Indeed, Grineer already obtained and pillaged our liset prior to our awakening, they should be rather familiar with what it does or how to locate it.

If they are all that familiar why is orbiter still existing/not captured? Why lander is able to stealth in to drop frames to missions?

Regardless of our Tenno, they should had some priority in shooting orbiter down/capturing it. So if they haven't done it yet there should be reason why that hasn't happened. Considering several character obsession with Tenno it can't be that they just can't be bothered.