Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Your Stance On Melee?(Discussion?)

AnOldAlias

48 minutes ago, Sovyul said:

Couldn't agree more, and yet it's insane that DE is nerfing melee in favor of guns, i mean, what are they thinking????

You weren't joking when you said you'd start necroing for fun, you absolute madlad. 

It'd be amazing if one of the original posters commented again.

On 2015-12-07 at 9:42 PM, AnOldAlias said:

Hah. Stance. Get it?

Anyway.

I'm curious as to what your stance on Melee is? Do you believe it feels unique enough to be standing out to other forms of combat in this game, or do you believe it needs tune-ups and some more unique feels to it?

Personally I like the melee here. Though it definitely needs some more uniqueness tied to it and some tweaks.

Personally I'd love to see Charge Attacks be tied in with multiple forms of movement as well. Just as a random thought.
Rolling Charge Attacks.
Air Charge Attacks(Above Slam Point).
Slam Charge Attacks.
Heck, even Latched-On-Wall Charge Attacks.

I think it'd be pretty nice!

Otherwise I'm not sure what else I have in mind.

Melee could use a deeper system. What we have now is alright but I would love to have a new combat system with more mechanics to spice things up.

On 2015-12-08 at 2:09 PM, PublikDomain said:

We need to be able to slash/swipe/attack at angles. I should be able to look up and slash at a camera or an Osprey.

2 hours ago, PublikDomain said:

I still stand by my words. Directional melee would be wonderful, even 5 years later.

The problem there might be the range factor or not looking up far enough. VDswsbF.gif

I don't have that problem when using my Scindo Prime, it makes a crazy difference with the amount of enemies I can hit in one swing with the range mod I left on the build.  https://overframe.gg/build/138178/

Edit:
I also put the Heavy Blade Mizar Skin on it so it doesn't look so clunky looking.

Edited by Slayer-.

25 minutes ago, Slayer-. said:

The problem there might be the range factor or not looking up far enough. VDswsbF.gif

I don't have that problem when using my Scindo Prime, it makes a crazy difference with the amount of enemies I can hit in one swing with the range mod I left on the build.  https://overframe.gg/build/138178/

Edit:
I also put the Heavy Blade Mizar Skin on it so it doesn't look so clunky looking.

I don't think you really understand, I mean aiming up or down to change the orientation of your attack. Like there's a floating enemy and I want to hit it with my dagger, or a crawler and I want to slash it in the face. Vertical directional melee aiming.

3 hours ago, PublikDomain said:

I don't think you really understand, I mean aiming up or down to change the orientation of your attack. Like there's a floating enemy and I want to hit it with my dagger, or a crawler and I want to slash it in the face. Vertical directional melee aiming.

Ah ok, a dagger.

Edit:
I just thought of a scenario I have encountered, if an enemy is on a ramp and your on the high side you can't hit them until you get down to their level, gotta know. ;)

Edited by Slayer-.
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, PublikDomain said:

I still stand by my words. Directional melee would be wonderful, even 5 years later.

It must feel strange seeing a 5 year old you were a part of resurrected out of the blue like this.

Anyway, I agree with the concept of directional melee, and in general, I think melee combat needs a bit more depth in the form of contextual moves. Some fun stuff would be bullet jump attacks, vertical launches that properly use lifting by elevating enemies onto a horizontal plane of different height, instead of having them float on the ground, which effectively makes lifting redundant when compared to the natural stunlock melee provides. That should come with working aerial combos, since right now they just miss half the time by not keeping you in place while performing them. Basically, anything that gives the fun alternative of stringing combos together besides the usual E spam plus the occasional gap closer. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Slayer-. said:

I just thought of a scenario I have encountered, if an enemy is on a ramp and your on the high side you can't hit them until you get down to their level, gotta know. ;)

Yeah, that too.

7 hours ago, (XBOX)ShonFr0st said:

It must feel strange seeing a 5 year old you were a part of resurrected out of the blue like this.

I saw the necromancing and got a chuckle but moved on without realizing that I was actually part of the thread. But then I noticed the star icon and was like ".... when did I reply?" and sure enough, 2015 me had my back with the good ideas.

• Like 1

I really like melee as-is, except that I think there's too much focus on combo.  Part of why melee seems like the only game in town is that switching to use ranged weapons means dropping your combo, which means losing your Blood Rush bonus that you probably have on most of your high-damage builds.  I don't think that pressuring the player to just keep using melee is a good design decision.  I would rather players be encouraged to mix it up.  I actually think that if they got rid of combo, melee would be in a pretty good spot.

I also think that the attack speed bonuses need to be toned down, but it sounds like this is a planned part of the upcoming re-balance.

35 minutes ago, (PSN)Unstar said:

I really like melee as-is, except that I think there's too much focus on combo.  Part of why melee seems like the only game in town is that switching to use ranged weapons means dropping your combo, which means losing your Blood Rush bonus that you probably have on most of your high-damage builds.  I don't think that pressuring the player to just keep using melee is a good design decision.  I would rather players be encouraged to mix it up.  I actually think that if they got rid of combo, melee would be in a pretty good spot.

I also think that the attack speed bonuses need to be toned down, but it sounds like this is a planned part of the upcoming re-balance.

I'm with you and I think the devs are too. Don't be surprised if they create a universal combo system.