Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Focus System Is A Bad Job.

BaronKreight

*So they want to temporarily implement a stopgap over the first week or two of the update to keep people from blazing through with exploits and burning themselves out on unfinished content while the team works out designs that aren't obvious placeholders.

Fixed that for you.

If we are TESTERS, it's our JOB - to blaze through exploits and learn everything about "unfinished content". So we can leave FEEDBACK, what usual testers do.

If we are PLAYERS, who playing for FUN, then it's our RIGHT to leave feedback about "obvious placeholder", which shouldn't be released in such "unfinished state".

Edited by letir

Yes, it's a bit unfair the way Focus is gained at the moment.

However, without any exp boosters, you can max the daily cap in around 10-15 min using a specific setup.

So this doesn't really bother me that much.

Some of the passives are awesome (Naramon all the way!), and the ultimate is totally worth it to unlock them for the mission.

But the actives and buffs for the beam itself feel really underwhelming.

Personally, I'd prefer if we had more passives instead. I mean, I don't see myself using the beam for anything else.

Yes, it's a bit unfair the way Focus is gained at the moment.

However, without any exp boosters, you can max the daily cap in around 10-15 min using a specific setup.

So this doesn't really bother me that much.

Some of the passives are awesome (Naramon all the way!), and the ultimate is totally worth it to unlock them for the mission.

But the actives and buffs for the beam itself feel really underwhelming.

Personally, I'd prefer if we had more passives instead. I mean, I don't see myself using the beam for anything else.

What's this "specific setup"?

What's this "specific setup"?

I'm using Loki + Orthos Prime. It allows me to finish Ludi (Ceres) in around 2 to 3 minutes.

With the current Affinity boost weekend (2x exp), I get 30k to 40k Focus for each run.

Loki is great for stealth kills and stealth kills can boost the exp multiplier by up to 500%.

More on this here: http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Stealth#Affinity_Bonus

Here a screenshot of a Ludi (Ceres) run:

4uD1ALe.jpg

EDIT: Posted wrong link, so edited to correct it.

Edited by KingTaro

It really needs a complete overhaul, with just about the only thing staying the same being the name.

The beam abilities are absolute garbage and need to be replaced with something else. They're so much worse than just using your warframe and your weapon that it's actually a hindrance to the mission to use them. The only reasonable way to use them is to blink them on and off to activate your passives, which is just poor design.

Passives need to start on and stay on. Currently you're motivated to stand still for a few minutes at the start of any mission so that you can blink your terrible beam on and off. This is clearly ridiculous.

The way focus is gained and the amount of focus gained per mission (without cheesing) are both terrible. The total amount of focus needed to max out trees is laughably high.

My ideas for some possible reworks:

The awful beams become AOE abilities centered on your warframe. You stay in your warframe doing your regular thing, but the AOE is in affect at the same time. This way players get a cool bonus that's fun to use while still getting to defend objectives, capture points, revive fallen allies, move like they're not a dying sloth, and so on.

Focus is also gained from shared affinity (supposedly happening "soon," but who knows when or exactly how it will work).

Focus gains are vastly increased so that a couple of hours of regular play will max out daily gains (a better system simply wouldn't have caps, but my hopes only reach so high).

Each tree can be maxed with reasonable amounts of play within a month at most.

I'm using Loki + Orthos Prime. It allows me to finish Ludi (Ceres) in around 2 to 3 minutes.

With the current Affinity boost weekend (2x exp), I get 30k to 40k Focus for each run.

Loki is great for stealth kills and stealth kills can boost the exp multiplier by up to 500%.

More on this here: http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Stealth#Affinity_Bonus

Here a screenshot of a Ludi (Ceres) run:

4uD1ALe.jpg

EDIT: Posted wrong link, so edited to correct it.

Ah. I use Ivara myself, but only have a lens on her and not any weapons. I get about the same.

*snip*

All good suggestions, but the XP thing is only going to happen if people can't cheese their way to 75k and beyond in ~15 minutes.

I'm fairly sure DE's current game plan is to shut down the cheeseball methods and then make focus gain for ordinary gameplay more forgiving, but they can't exactly do that in reverse order.

All good suggestions, but the XP thing is only going to happen if people can't cheese their way to 75k and beyond in ~15 minutes.

I'm fairly sure DE's current game plan is to shut down the cheeseball methods and then make focus gain for ordinary gameplay more forgiving, but they can't exactly do that in reverse order.

And why exactly "cheese" methods should be deleted?

So they want feed back on their new system but they then deliberately hinder players progress through the system?

Something wrong with this picture surely?

Just look at how Jordas Verdict was released. 

They said that Jordas Verdict was still very "beta" and that they wanted "feedback" and yet the first thing a player has to do there is collect drops and STOP THE RAID AND GO BACK TO COMPLETE A CLAN RESEARCH AND WAIT 24 HOURS FOR THE INJECTOR TO BE BUILT. 

The thing is, I have no problem with incomplete content, I still buy into the tester thing and consider it a fairly cheap price to pay for getting all the cool stuff first (which is also why I think console users are the only people who can legitimately complain. PC users were supposed to have provided feedback and DE are supposed to have improved on bugs and features by the time console players get their build.) But DE has to let us test to see how much it takes before it gets broken.

I'm not saying give us maxed focus trees so we can test them now!!1 and I don't think a double xp weekend as they've started gathering feedback on Focus is a coincidence either. But their progress block has led to more cheese and more knee-jerk reactions than any actual fix for either Focus or pre-existing system (Spy 2.0 spawn mechanic feedback? Never heard of it. Stealth kill chain xp to unlock Focus? Now that's a nerfin'.) 

Honestly, I can forgive them everything about unbalance, required lenses, bugs an such, but there is something that puzzles me.

Before the current AFK system, leechers were quite common around, and wasn't rare to see threads complaining about that. Some people also suggested to give affinity only to the player doing an action. To say, killing an enemy would had given affinity only to the killer, or doing an objective only to who did it. 

Guess what, nobody else liked the idea. On top of that, DE took a long time to fix the leechers issue, IMO because they knew giving affinity only to who kills and goes for the objective is a bad idea. 

What happened? Have they forgotten? I cannot belive that during development nobody saw kill-stealing happening.

They're exploits. They allow you to cheat and turn a long-term upgrade system into a week of repfarm. Why shouldn't DE remove them?

Why should it be "long-term upgrade system" with speed of the snail? Why should i spend few hours of "fair" work just to tap into one skill?

To OP

1. What part of Beta do you not get. They released it as it is now so they can get feedback with what they can improve on!

2. Can you at least have the decency to put the spoiler tag? Not everyone has finished the quest.

3. Seeing that I have to address 1 and 2. You sir are truly inconsiderate and never thinked through your whining before posting this!

Edited by HunterFenrir

1. What part of Beta do you not get.

This is not a valid argument to defend poor game design. Warframe will literally be in beta until the day it shuts down. Everything they release will be in beta until the day Warframe shuts down. This defense you are using is utterly worthless, since you can apply it to every aspect of Warframe from the first day to the last.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with offering critique of Warframe's many failures. This is the best way to let DE know what players have problems with. Any attempts to silence this criticism, whether out of pure fanboyishness or something else, will only serve to damage the game. You are not helping. Referring to valid criticism as "whining" says much more about you than it does about the person you're attempting to dismiss by doing this.

Also, please learn how to use punctuation and run spell check over your posts. "Thinked" is inexcusable.

This is not a valid argument to defend poor game design. Warframe will literally be in beta until the day it shuts down. Everything they release will be in beta until the day Warframe shuts down. This defense you are using is utterly worthless, since you can apply it to every aspect of Warframe from the first day to the last.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with offering critique of Warframe's many failures. This is the best way to let DE know what players have problems with. Any attempts to silence this criticism, whether out of pure fanboyishness or something else, will only serve to damage the game. You are not helping. Referring to valid criticism as "whining" says much more about you than it does about the person you're attempting to dismiss by doing this.

Also, please learn how to use punctuation and run spell check over your posts. "Thinked" is inexcusable.

I'll have you know that I'm on mobile and neither am I very fond of typing on a phone and do note that even the OP made mistakes in his wording. Now addressing your point, yes there is nothing with offering criticism and yes Beta is not a 'free get out of jail' card but as I have said nothing new is perfect. The way OP has criticised the focus system as well as his method if wording his opinions show his anger as if DE meant to do a bad job. I apologise if my previous reply was very air-headed as people with the OP's mind set tend to tick me off Edited by HunterFenrir

The focus system is quite good. It only needs to be more impactful.

When I think about the tenno manifesting on the battlefield, I think about raw devastating power, the power that made them infamous, but I don't yet see it at the moment.

I can't talk about schools other than Unairu, but 20% bonus armor and 40% enemy armor reduction is useless against Sortie level enemies, because of how damage reduction from armor is calculated.

More, the damages, I thing, need one more 0 at the end( x10 ).

An ability that has ~5min cooldown needs to be extremely powerfull. 

How the hell can the Corpus Nullifier, that uses technology built from studying warframes(mere conduits), be able to block the raw power of the tenno, that not even the Orokin or the Sentiet could?

Oh, about the tenno looking bad, I thought they would look way worse. You try and stay in stasis enough years until you become mith and than let's see how you'll look! :)

Edited by alergiclaprosti