Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Debate Between Bratonprime, And Burstonprime

[DE]Momaw

Question

Which do you prefer and why?

These weapons are astonishingly close in performance since the BRP got buffed:

* BRP does 36 damage,  BUP does 39.  BRP has a strong Slash bias, and makes slash procs like crazy, though the actual magnitude of the slash procs it ends up giving are not particularly relevant in combat.   BUP has a slight Slash bias, but is generally better rounded for phys damage.

* Both weapons strongly and negatively affected by Heavy Caliber, neither gets to use it "for free".

* BRP has 20% status chance, BUP has 15%.  Clear win for BRP.

* Both weapons are extremely accurate. Though I find that BUP puts more rounds on target for me, I imagine because the recoil during the burst is over so quickly that your point of aim hovers around zero more of the time.  

* Though BRP is fully automatic and BUP is burst fire, with a little bit of practice you can get the BUP to fire more rounds per seconds than the BRP (about 16 versus about 12.5, using Shred).

* BRP has a significantly large magazine, which helps it catch up in terms of bullets fired over time; the BUP can dump its mag faster but has a smaller mag and as a result spends more of its time just reloading.

* BUP has a larger reserve ammo pool (rifle standard of 540, rather than BRP's reduced 375), which may matter if you are playing defensively.

14 answers to this question

BUP greatly benefits from the syndicate mod. The AoE is great too.

I use HC on mine as well and to be honest, I barely notice I have the mod on. I still easily annihilate enemies with it. With the Braton the accuracy penalty seems and feels so much more significant.

I used to love the BRP, even before the buff, but I decided to try out the BUP (as I decided to get my times worth out of it due to the farming required in the old days) and in all honesty, I also loved it. I've taken a break from using it but I'd been using it in most if not all of my games. Before that I used the Latron Prime.

Edited by Naith

I do a huge deal more damage with braton prime than burston. Slap corrosive on that thing and the ever-stacking slash procs will just SHRED up the enemy. It's actually a super DoT machine, if you wanna also put some fire on it. Slash and fire procs against a weakened enemy is sure to cause some serious damage.

The only downside to that thing is that its ammo economy isn't all that grand. I find myself often needing a mutation mod and/or rifle scavenger in order to use it consistently.

Edited by Pizzarugi

They're surprisingly similar especially when modded for maximum dps.

I overall prefer the BratonP, however. It just handles better and you can adjust it's firing characteristics to some degree to allow for mission variance or you just having one of those days when it comes to aiming.

The BurstonP gets the nods when I feel a direct need for the proc effect. Generally, this means something like a defense or MD where enemies come to you (the blast radius). NovaP gives it her seal of approval in these situations.

Interestingly, I find myself firing them in a similar fashion. The BurstonP by necessity (it is a burst fire weapon after all) and the BratonP by the virtue of builds that use VA and attempting to keep overkill to a minimum.