Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Hitsu San's Workshop - Octavia Youkai is finally here!

HitsuSan

4 minutes ago, matto said:

Lot of issues lately, couldn't follow the thread anymore.

Anyway, great job again. I like how you kept the Alata Mag's theme with those Japanese tattoo-like colored parts.

I have to admit though that I'm going to wait to see it in game as I am not a big fan of the helmet. So I can check if it clips well with others (I definitely need a skin for that Prime helmet so... if it fits, then I'll probably buy it).

Keep up the good work man :)

I can snag some in game screenshots of the skin if you'd like, I bought it a few days ago. 

Just now, Noamuth said:

I can snag some in game screenshots of the skin if you'd like, I bought it a few days ago. 

Thanks mate but I was talking about the Excal skin :D

So unless it is already in game... :x

Lol hey matto welcome back :) 

I love how you guys are already concerned about buying it when it's not even been selected for the game yet XD

Of course you can wait and see if you like it! 

I'll tell you what, if it gets in to the game i'll be on a relay like every time and i'll personally show you how it looks like :)

42 minutes ago, HitsuSan said:

Lol hey matto welcome back :) 

I love how you guys are already concerned about buying it when it's not even been selected for the game yet XD

Of course you can wait and see if you like it! 

I'll tell you what, if it gets in to the game i'll be on a relay like every time and i'll personally show you how it looks like :)

Thanks mate :) I really appreciate it.

I know you've heard this a thousand times by now, but this is some inspiring work you have here. 

It's very obvious that your potential is outstanding and I'm surprised you're not more well-known. 

Have you worked on any other video game before or have done concepts for other stuff?

I feel like you're going to make some amazing original work.

1 hour ago, derp215 said:

Hitsu, good news, my exam is ending tomorrow! That means skins!

How's it going? Are you prepared? (Illidan asks)

5 hours ago, zaxiade said:

I know you've heard this a thousand times by now, but this is some inspiring work you have here. 

It's very obvious that your potential is outstanding and I'm surprised you're not more well-known. 

Have you worked on any other video game before or have done concepts for other stuff?

I feel like you're going to make some amazing original work.

Oh thanks :) yeah i've worked for some minor things not even worth mentioning mostly as a concept artist. It just took me a while to learn everything needed ^^ (still learning a lot though... )

1 hour ago, Fox7000 said:

I think You should try making skins for warframes that don't have any Tennogen or Deluxe skins like Nekros or Mirage.

It's a good suggestion, i try to do that already but it doesn't matter that much :)

If they did then wouldn't he be bound by the same rules? I mean isn't that a reason why they asked someone outside of their team to do some deluxe skins? Like to have someone that has a different perspective?

10 minutes ago, Oranji said:

If they did then wouldn't he be bound by the same rules? I mean isn't that a reason why they asked someone outside of their team to do some deluxe skins? Like to have someone that has a different perspective?

They could hire him under a different contract, having more creative liberty.

1 hour ago, Oranji said:

^ This. DE please don't hire Hitsu unless he comes a knocking asking for it- cause all it'd do is limit him imo. Too much stuff you HAVE to do when you're employed somewhere instead of working on what you want.

Hitsu San is definitely the top 1% of Tennogen, but if he fell into DE, he'd have to abide by their rules and concepts and that would just defeat the purpose. All we can do is support and vote for his designs and pray DE never wants to assimilate him.

Fun and creative freedom OR Business contract.

I have heard it many times that unfortunately it stifles creativity. 

He got good ideas and a style of his own. As long as he have got inspiration he will make more I think. 

I think what Hitsu damn good as artist-freelancer. He doing a great job and gets benefit for it. As was said before, working on developers directly - is pretty much full-time job with all it's cons and pros. Let this talented fellow create stuff as he want and when he want. And we will not be disappointed.

Lol what are you guys up to? I've been away for a day and i find all of this? XD 

First of all, i thank you all for the kind words :) It makes me so happy that you guys appreciate what i do!

As for working inside a company it doesn't mean you have to be stifled by the company itself. Generally what happens is that someone has an idea and by filtering it and injecting the opinion of an entire team of supervisors it gets cut here and there because of various valid concerns. I'll make you an example so that you guys can understand better: if i were working inside a company like DE as a character artist and i came up with an idea for a new Nova skin where she wears a Cap what might end up happening (and i say might cause i think DE has a pretty damn awesome art department) is that someone along the line might have some concerns about the design being too hard to make it fit to the game concept, ending up wasting a ton of time to make it look good and possibly abandoning the task making the company loose 1 or two months of work. You might thing that's bad for creativity but creativity if pushed that far from the core concept can put at risk the well being of an entire company because you can imagine what can happen if two or three project like that turns out too hard to realize within the required restriction of the game (i'm talking about max numbers of polygons and texture size ecc)... the whole company would loose two or three months worth of content and things turn bad very fast at that point. Developers are not against creativity but they have to keep things relatively safe for the community to have a steady amount of content to play with and enjoy and for them to keep stay in business (BTW DE doesn't do that so much XD they're always trying new stuff and taking so many chances, we are all very lucky they are the ones behind this game...).

That said, i'm concept artist first and then a 3d modeler (it's a very recent thing for me, Alata was my first model, Warframe pushed me to try but i already knew the process) so i don't have any problem making crazy concepts like Visage for myself and executing it or saying that i'm going to make a very successful Excalibur skin inside an oversaturated market and make it happen because i can bend my concepts very easily to fit anything i need to and i don't have to rely on chances or hope that somebody else makes a good concept for me to follow ^^ It also means that i can convince my clients pretty easily to take some more risk about my ideas cause i can show them directly what i'm going to make if needed (by drawing it in one or two days instead of sculpting it in one or two months cause i'm obviously going to paint something that i already know it can be done) and i can also change huge parts of the design by myself without having to involve an entire art team if something is not working (when you make 2d concepts they rarely translate 1 to 1 into 3d, you can go see the DE premium skin concepts vs the models, they've made and incredible job and still there are differences). Also working with other artists on one thing most of the time (if the two artists are o equal ability at least) makes it way better when directed by someone who knows what's up cause you have double the ideas in the same amount of time and you can choose the best ones to apply.

So if i'll end up working for DE one day (who knows) you don't have to worry too much about it. But what all this really means is... that i want to make a premium skin for Ember (not a reskin) ! DE, you know where i am XD

I honestly think DE should do their thing and you should freelance but it would be great if DE causally asked your opinion on certain things. That would be nice because we could have Hitsu approved skins which would be awesome. However, I do enjoy some of the skins that are in game. It is to my understanding that usually in big games like this sometimes concept artists are hired for some of the jobs. I forget if that's the case with DE or not but that's someones art and we should respect that when it's approved even if we don't get why it's there. I really didn't understand what was up with most of the skins at first but it's better than nothing and some of them have become my favs with certain color schemes.

On a long side note, I say this as a concept artist myself and a huge fan. Considering the reality of what it takes to design, color, test, etc. etc. I am honestly impressed with the speed that some of the Tennogen items have been released. It's not exactly easy designing and making all this stuff. I've seen people do it and I'm amazed they don't just flip a table or try to blow something up. Honestly, I have no patience. If any of you have been keeping up with this topic for a while you've probably seen me groaning because they hadn't released the Tennogen items at that time. Now I'm groaning because Kavats are taking too long but I know they need time and I'm just impatient as crap. I'd probably road rage so hard if I had to any of that. Anyway my point is that it's amazing what Tennogen artists pull off in the amount of time they do it in with just one or two people. So this was my really long appreciation paragraph here. If you read it all I apologize for the weirdness.

Now back to my long book I'm writing in this topic, because I truly need some less free time than I have now, I was about to get to my base model suggestion/complaint; whichever you might see it as. Anyway, they are also a select few that are deserving on Tennogen to be able to not only design skins but be able to mess with the base model and not have it mess up everything. A few frames are rather hard to deal with and could really use this. Chroma is one. I consider Valkyr to be another since she has her restraints around her arms. On her awesome Deluxe skin these are gone and it looks amazing. I understand that's probably why deluxe skins are deluxe since they're always different from the base model. That being said, I would love to see someone make Valk and Chroma an amazing skin on Tennogen even with their "flaws". Faven seems to be breaks all the rules with his skins; Hitsu as well with the awesomeness we've seen so far.

Just sayin, we've got some real awesome stuff here given the opportunity I'm sure designers would go crazy with it. And if anyone would be chosen to be one of the higher ups I'd believe that Hitsu would be one of top five choices. All this is just my opinion though, even so I'm sure I'm not the only one who agrees with most of this.

5 minutes ago, Espelonia said:

All the words up here ^

That's crazy Espelonia ^^ i'm definitely not in any position to approve things for DE, they do amazing work all the time and i'm only struggling and probably working double the hours they do to make mine. That said i could help, definitely i could help make things better but it's always a team effort and not a single mind decision and as a freelance artist i won't get to shape things from the roots, just execute what they ask in the time required cause that's what freelancers do (i'll gladly do it anyway for DE though). Right now i'm not considered freelancer, i'm totally independent and risks on my design fall on me (if something doesn't get accepted i loose months of work ecc).

I didn't know you're a concept artist yourself :) But if you're that impatient it means you're still a junior for sure ^^ am i right? Experienced CA knows that one very well done work is the result of lots of work on a single concept and not just a loose sketch, it's iteration, it's redesigning, it takes time. Send me your portfolio one of these days :) i'm curious!

Anyway... Top 5? XD 

Archived