Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Clue Me In, Why Does Everyone Hate Archwing Missions?

(PSN)JayMadIV

archwing defense mission... holy crap, getting to rotation C is just horrible

reviving sucks, even if you're holding down X

bumping into things and getting dazed is not fun

can't find item drops at all, unless you're playing Itzal

People will say they hate the grinding (yet love void... which offers same RNG grind?).

Mostly ive seen is issue people have with starting afresh... no Boltor Prime, no maxed Redirection etc. Its about investing time to get the better content and loadouts. Im still surprised at how often i meet MR9+ players still using Odonata/Imperator/Veritux combo - a good clan will have you access to BPs for Itzal, Grattler and Knux, thats a deadly AW loadout.

I don't hate archwing, I wouldn't even say I dislike it. 

I just find myself very unmotivated to play it much of the time. Ranking anything takes ages, that's a bit of an annoyance. I play archwing when Fomorians show up or when there is part of a quest that requires it but the rest of the time my Itzal sits there collecting dust. 

The grind for getting archwing weapons adds yet another wall to an already tedious to rank game play mode. 

There are some regular archwing missions that are actually decent core farms last I remember, and archwing can be fun to play, but it also is a completely different pace from the rest of the game in many respects. This can also be off putting to some people. 

The biggest issue really is that it feels so unfinished. Lack of parkour in comparison to regular game. Lack of modding options in general, for warframe I think there are only 10 mods, so only two choices you actually make in modding... silly. Only three archwings, and no support archwing at all. Barely any weapon mods either. 

This is not a reason to hate it -- I like archwing. It's a reason that a lot of people who even enjoy it don't play it much, because it is very unfinished right now. It has a long way to go to feel at all in sync with the larger game. Until then I rarely go "hey, I want to play archwing!" 

Oh, and on the concept of Sharkwing. I would love it. I really love the idea and at first it was great. Until it started bugging out like crazy for me and a lot of people. Whenever we go underwater, the sound starts looping and the game freezes and we have to hard shutdown the game. It's totally unresponsive. So yeah, maybe when they fix the massive memory leaks in sharkwing I can get to enjoy that gamemode. For now, I live in fear of the next time it's a mandatory part of a quest. Getting through the sharkwing portions of Second Dream was a total nightmare. 

Edited by Tesseract7777

They are a nice concept however they greatly need to add and fix more, for instance:

1. The time to travel between groups of enemies kinda sucks. It feels slow.

2. Rare mod drops appear to be far and few.

3. Reviving your team is almost broke, you move so fast it's hard to actually get to your team to revive them.

4. They need more variety of things to shoot/slash.

5. All of the missions feel like it's the same objective.

6. The time it takes to actually level your archwing is...well... insane.

I like archwing though, it can be really amazing once they plan to do more with it. =p

Only three archwings, and no support archwing at all.

Support AW is coming don't worry, design council is working on it.

3. Reviving your team is almost broke, you move so fast it's hard to actually get to your team to revive them.

...aaaaaand another one that doesn't know how to revive properly in AW.

Edited by JesterTheNight

Support AW is coming don't worry, desing council is working on it.

...aaaaaand another one that doesn't know how to revive properly in AW.

Can you explain then instead of leaving it open?

By the way, looked through design council and it isn't a serious topic right now. Don't hold your breath

Edited by (XB1)Astray TurnRed

Support AW is coming don't worry, desing council is working on it.

I am excite. This is what will get me to be more motivated in archwing -- more content. Really imo apart from the affinity issue and sharkwing bugs, the major problem with archwing is just that it needs more content. I look forward to the eventual support archwing, should be really fun. 

Edited by Tesseract7777

People in previous posts and myself too already explained how to do it already. You can boost towards the fallen teammate and have the revive button held (X on PC dunno on Xbone), you don't have to stop and be exactly where the person is, this works on foot too (while sliding).

I am excite. This is what will get me to be more motivated in archwing -- more content. Really imo apart from the affinity issue and sharkwing bugs, the major problem with archwing is just that it needs more content. I look forward to the eventual support archwing, should be really fun. 

There were some really good ideas thrown about although alot of people really just tried to make a carbon copy of frames ._. #original

By the way, looked through design council and it isn't a serious topic right now. Don't hold your breath

maybe cause the thread was locked already?

Edited by LordOfScrugging

People in previous posts and myself too already explained how to do it already. You can boost towards the fallen teammate and have the revive button held (X on PC dunno on Xbone), you don't have to stop and be exactly where the person is, this works on foot too (while sliding).

Hm, that hasn't worked for me. I'll have to try again. Thanks for the tip.

One less thing that needs a major overhaul.

Edited by (XB1)Astray TurnRed

Hm, that hasn't worked for me. I'll have to try again. Thanks for the tip.

I think something that should be done is a bigger hit box for the revive prompt. currently it's the same as ground missions where you have to essentially pass through them. if you're off by a bit then you miss them entirely (i normally revive easily but there is the off chance that i miss ;~:)

Whoah, whoah, whoah. 

Who said I hate Archwing missions? Every time I play them I have a lot of fun. The current lack of content draws me away from them after a bit, but they are a fun game mode.

This has gotten to be a bit more permanent for me, but it's my own fault.  I really wanted the Centaur, and kind of burned myself out on Caelus a bit (without ever getting the blade).  The only actual complaint I have is that the progression could be smoother - Draco syndrome sets in for a lot of people and Caelus with 3 people who have unranked to rank 10 gear is doable, and certainly intense, but after a few times it's a little frustrating.

Jordas golem assassination though - after I got good enough to solo it, was a LOT of fun.  Kinda wish someone would ask me to carry them so I'd have a reason to revisit it, in all honesty.

archwing defense mission... holy crap, getting to rotation C is just horrible

reviving sucks, even if you're holding down X

bumping into things and getting dazed is not fun

can't find item drops at all, unless you're playing Itzal

this

maybe except the daze part :P just requires practice

Its unfinished, as someone above me stated, but also its sound design leaves much to be desired.

in archwing mode, you have to slow down to fight the enemies, which isnt fun

In sharkwing mode, you move so slow you'd rather gouge your eyes out

lackluster game modes

lackluster combat

little variety/diversity

no point in playing it

you forgot terribly bad RNG to the point those things you mentioned come into play and by that 3 or so run your so board that you cant be arsed farming anymore!

because it's a seriously tedious mode.

I remember when they announced Archwing Defense, i thought "this could actually be good". boy, was I wrong. if I ever get my own Formorian, that Neptune Node (Salacia, I believe) is first to get lasered into next week. the Interceptions are almost as bad, plus the few good rewards there are, like The Elytron, are hidden away on high rotations that can take hours to reach, and are impossible to find squads for, not to mention the drop rates. without a Booster on, it can take forever to level up Arch-gear, and who wants to do that when you know you'll have more fun using it on a Forma'd Amprex or whatever?

I'll give credit where it's due, DE have made some decent improvements, the movement isn't quite as clunky as it used to be, but it still needs work. and the more recent Arch-weapons are actually borderline fun. but levelling them is still a pain in the butt, unless you put a booster on at least, or wait for a double affinity weekend. they clearly want AW to become one of our favourite parts of the game, but despite their efforts, it still bores the hell out of me. I wish I knew what it was that AW truly needed to become great, but sadly I don't; I'm just a Humble Tenno who's Archwing gathers dust while he goes and kills some Grineer in ground Combat, the way he likes it. aside from the odd Formorian run, I see no valid reason to bring it out, and I can just trade for the plat I need to buy what I'm missing without spending hours in recruit chat trying to find people brave enough to do 4 rotations on Caelus.

sorry for the wall of text, but at least you know how I feel I guess.

TL:DR: I don't have to, I don't want to, and I'm not going to.

Woah, hold your horses. I don't hate archwing. I find it extremely fun :)

The defense mission thought - you have A and B points to protect and usually enemies attack just one of them. If you are on the wrong side it gets extremely boring cause there is nothing to kill - due few enemies. If the whole squad goes on to other side, usually you might end up defending only one point while the other gets destroyed. So you squad needs to be protecting both sides. And when there is four players protecting just one point, it gets quite dull. 

And if you have Elytron players who spam thumper <--- the def mission goes extremely boring.

Edit: I usually run with Itzal on every mission due the loot. On defense missions there is no room for blink - I use just the afterburner. For equipment I have 4 forma Phaedra and 3 Forma centaur. Timely when you end up with 2 players (yourself and an other player without Thumper) the def mission becomes quite interesting, epic and fun :)

And I don't want archwing to become another "Elite Dangerous" / "Star Citizen" simulator. In archwing the phase of the action is dependent of your doing - I use afterburner a-lot and when you bump in-to lots of enemies, taking them down becomes quite fast-phased. Eg. two players on Interception.

Edited by carnaga

I liked it at first because it was so open and different, but over time, I got tired of it. Why? Because its gameplay leaves much to be desired. And quite frankly, it's just "jetpacks in space". It's not typical space combat, and by that, I mean space fighter combat. And that's honestly what I want. Space fighter combat with the landing crafts. Archwing isn't as fast as, nor has the same mechanics as, space fighter combat. I want a high-speed space fighter mission type, not a slow jetpack mission type. We know that the Grineer and Corpus have combat-ready space-faring ships (from small assault ships to large vessels). So that's what I want to see. Archwing is just mediocre compared to the potential of a landing craft combat mode. Just feels like Archwing exists just to not be that. And I just think that a space fighter/landing craft mission type could offer more variety and make good use of the open space that we see in the Grineer AW tilesets. And the beautiful thing about it is that you can still have Archwing for the existing Corpus AW tilesets and for the Submersible missions.

The radar in open space maps.

That blip to the north of me, is it above me? Below me? Is it 50m away? Is it 1000m away? 

But overall, I do enjoy Archwing. I wouldn't actively choose an Archwing mission over a regular one, but it's not that bad.

Honestly, I don't like Archwing because one corpus ship wreckage tileset usually crashes my potato computer's video card within one minute of starting, meaning I have planets I can't 100%.  Nothing else in the game crashes it.

As for real reasons...it's kind of clunky feeling, and very slow grindy.  Since I don't touch it much my original Odonata is around the mid 20s on all gear, and I dread thinking of doing it again when I make Itzal or Odonata Prime.  Getting mods is terrible as well.  I have just a few maxed out mods and lots of points with nothing to drain them.  I feel like it needs to not have quite such huge open spaces, and also better control response since it's so annoying dealing with such sluggish momentum changes.  Underwater combat as also pretty horrible because now the sluggish maneuvers are in cramped spaces while my Warframe's head is being ground to a stub against the walls constantly.

Edited by Avereth

The radar in open space maps.

That blip to the north of me, is it above me? Below me? Is it 50m away? Is it 1000m away? 

Interesting that no one else mentioned that yet.

So: THIS.

And that enemies - for me at least - are usually very hard to distinguish unless VERY close. In which case they're obsured by the laser beams everywhere and I usually simply hack and slash until I'm either dead or they're gone.

Navigation to enemies or drops is horrible. Visual confirmation next to impossible.

I don't like Archwing because it's a UI horror story. I feel like I'm colorblind and the background is red with green enemies in front.