Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Just What _Is_ The Stalkers Motivation Now?

SilentMobius

Before the second dream we got the Stalker codex entry:

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Stalker

Some have walked these desolate worlds while you have slept. Some like me. I remember what you did. I remember the day.

Now we have no idea where that information came from, it's in-game information without attribution meaning we can't evaluate the accuracy of it, all we know is it's supposedly first person. We as a player can only assume game information is accurate unless we are given context for the data we are given.

So, The Stalker definitely saw us eliminating the Orokin as a crime. Many assumed that this made him pro-Orokin and/or pro-the-old-empire.

Then we got the Second Dream and Hunhow and the Lotus tell us that the Stalker was driven mad by the reveal that he was remotely controlling a Warframe and was actually still physically a child.

All your dread-long life, you've waited for this moment. But, you're asking yourself, 'Was I one of these wretched things?' You know the answer. You still hate them. You still hate yourself.

Now, at first, people were unconvinced that an Orokin loyalist would side with the Sentients just to take down the other Tenno. Afterwards it became clear that eliminating Tenno was his priority, not upholding some echo of old-empire Orokin law.

Now we have the new event and we have the following quotes from the Stalker's acolytes:

Who do you hunt

Our fight is not with you Tenno

I see you are still their servants

This one has caused much suffering and yet you protect him

You have lost your way Tenno, I will help you find it

Virtue gives us the strength of a thousand Tenno

Alad V only wants profit, he is the enemy

It is not the time for your Trial yet

Which all fits the old justice-at-all-costs mentality but not the side-with-the-enemy-of-humanity-kill-tenno-including-me-I'm-batS#&$-crazy mentality we saw in the Second Dream.

I mean if Alad-V's actions are enough to warrant execution-by-Tenno why was the Stalker upset at us for making the same judgement on the Executors of the Orokin empire?
Edited by SilentMobius

The whole thing of Stalker siding with Hunhow reeks of hypocrisy. Stalker issued death marks on us for killing bosses in the solar system which i presume he did because he saw them as descendants of the the old empire or just because he saw them as the best future for the solar system and us killing them was to much like what we did with the Orokins. Then comes Hunhow and Stalker actually sides with him for whatever strange reasons there is. Hunhow dont seem to realize the Orokin were killed long ago and considering he called Alad V a Orokin makes me wonder if Hunhow sees all humans as Orokin. Alad V cant also possibly be a Orokin, else he would not have expressed doubt that the Moon was real as he did in the second dream. The only valid reason i can think of that the Stalker siding with Hunhow is that he has become so obsessed with vengeance on the Tenno that he has cast all reason aside.

Also the Lotus only said he was driven mad over the revelation of the Reservoirs secret. We dont actually know if its because his a rouge operator or a warframe somehow moving on its own. There is proof of warframes moving on their own for reasons that have yet to be revealed such as when our own frame tore War out of its body or in the Rhino Prime codex lore. The Stalker might be a warframe that have somehow gained the ability to move on its own and for whatever reasons sees the Tenno operator control as something evil because he couldnt cope with the nature of having been a puppet once.

Edited by Ory_Hara

A few things. First, we still don't know the exact circumstances under which the Tenno eradicated the Orokin. The "why" of that is a pretty crucial detail, and without it we're missing out on a lot of the dynamics of the situation. Second, Lotus's assessment of the Stalker may not be entirely true. It's been established that she means well by the Tenno, but it's also equally well established that she's not always truthful; besides that, she (presumably) has no connection to the Stalker any more, and isn't even omniscient when it comes to the "good" Tenno, so she's probably not in the best position to comment on his mental stability--and "driven mad" can mean a lot of different things as well. Third, we don't really know what the Stalker's opinion of Hunhow is. We know he'll tolerate working together, but that's about it; even if the Stalker is on the Orokin's "side" still, the fact remains that the Orokin don't have a side any more, in which case, well, the enemy of an enemy is a friend when you're looking for retribution. Temporarily, at least.

I'm somewhat anxious to see what the other Acolytes have to say, though, when they appear. Maybe we'll find out more.

Edited by NinthAria

With us constantly being Alad V lap-dogs, I dont put to much into the lore

Its more like 'One hand washes the other'. And as the Tenno are honorable warriors they pay their debts.

I don't think we would help Alad V to accomplish his personal goals unless it happens to help us Tenno in a way. So far whenever we fought for him there wasn't much choise...only do it or don't but in any case its bad for us...so choose the lesser bad.

Also the Lotus only said he was driven mad over the revelation of the Reservoirs secret. We dont actually know if its because his a rouge operator or a warframe somehow moving on its own. There is proof of warframes moving on their own for reasons that have yet to be revealed such as when our own frame tore War out of its body or in the Rhino Prime codex lore. The Stalker might be a warframe that have somehow gained the ability to move on its own and for whatever reasons sees the Tenno operator control as something evil because he couldnt cope with the nature of having been a puppet once.

I figured this as well. Maybe Stalker is a rogue frame that didn't even know frames had operators, and his rage comes from the fact that he's been killing other frames, thinking they were the "betrayers" who killed the Orokin, only to realize they were just puppets and, in reality, he hasn't even laid a finger on any of the "real" enemy yet.

Also, I took Stalker's team-up with Hunhow as an "enemy of my enemy" type of situation. The Orokin Empire is gone, all that's left are the Tenno. Stalker's goal was never to rebuild the Orokin Empire (as far as we know from what info we've been given at least), but to enact vengeance on the Tenno. Whatever he's been trying all these years has obviously not been working, so maybe Stalker's just come to the ultimate point of desperation.

I'd say Stalker very much still has some semblance of honor remaining, or at the very least, his Acolytes do. Both Stalker and the Acolytes have beef with the Tenno, and they very much want to cash in on it and murder you, but you're not the priority just yet -- that's someone else, and until then, attacking you probably seems (to them) like both a waste of time and a misuse of resources. After all, they're trying to kill Alad V, not the Tenno.

Additionally, the Stalker probably knows full-well just how strong and capable the Tenno are, and has likely passed this information on to the Acolytes. And given that the Acolytes are most likely other Tenno (I mean they have warframes and use abilities), we also know that Tenno are corruptible and can be swayed. Knowing this, the Stalker likely also sees value in building his own powerbase, one that is independent of Hunhow, and so is also trying to convince other Tenno to join him when possible.