Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

When Nostalgia Hits You Like A Truck

(XBOX)Grihaly

A song randomly popped into my head a few days ago, still not sure what it was, but I know it was from Need For Speed Hot Pursuit 2, so I booted up my OG Xbox, started the game, and saw that cutscene for the first time in years.

14 years later, this game still holds up... What happened to the gaming industry? The past 3 or 4 NFS games have been complete garbage compared to this gem, and don't even get me started on Halo. So, what games from the good ol' days stick out to this day for you?

Jet Set Radio.

Freakin' Jet Set Radio.

Its unique style in both design, music, and theme have cemented it in my brain for the past 16 years.

I also remember Blinx: The Time Sweeper for similar reasons.

Oh man, memory lane is a neat place to take a walk.

I remember playing Jet Set Radio hahaha, didn't play it much, but when I did, it was fun. I've heard of Blinx I don't think I ever played it.

Metroid Prime. Super Mario Sunshine, LoZ Ocarina and Wind Waker. Mario Kart 64, Kirby; Nightmare in Dreamland for the GBA. Nostalgia hits me like a truck every few days or so; I bought myself a gamecube and working copies of the games my dumbass younger self broke, just for the sake of playing them all again.

I remember staying up late on a school night to play my newly acquired Metroid Prime 2, getting caught by my dad and being banned from games for the weekend. Totally worth it, got no sleep cause Dark Samus scared the S#&$ outta me.

I never had a PS or XBox when I was little. But man, the instant someone says nostalgia I smell dusty gamecube fans and hear Metroid Prime's overworld theme. It's always a blast. Game on, everyone!

Edited by KaraOgata

I remember playing Jet Set Radio hahaha, didn't play it much, but when I did, it was fun. I've heard of Blinx I don't think I ever played it.

Blinx is a humanoid cat with a vacuum that can control time.

The game is a simple platformer, and you solve puzzles, defeat bosses, etc by manipulating time with your magic vacuum.

Nothing to call home about. It wasn't even particularly fun in my opinion, but it's a unique game that I have nonetheless remembered.

Gunstar Heroes (Sega Genesis). One of the best shoot 'em ups ever. Also had a very unique and fun melee/ grapple system.

Ranger X (Sega Genesis). A long forgotten gem... Amazing weapons, fun bosses, and one of the best soundtracks I've ever heard. Then and now.

Heavy Gear (PC). An odd choice for the teams behind the Mechwarrior series at Activision. But it stuck to the source material closely (gear wise) and incoporated a lot of the original art. Also, had a semi cheesy, but emotional story that drew you in with live action cutscenes. Great CG as well for the time period.

Tenchu: Wrath of Heaven (PS3). Oh, those classic stealth kills! Especially the new character who used his bare hands to snap necks, break spines, and dislodge multiple limbs before killing his targets. Again, great sound track, and very cool environments.

That's all I got for now.

Dark Cloud 2 and Star Ocean: Til the end of Time.

Be it, they were released early 2000's (Dark Cloud 2 being 2003, and I think the same for Star Ocean as well).

Some might remember Dark Cloud 2 as Level 5's breakout console game that put them on the map (and they're last console release until the Ni No Kuni game 10 ish years later). I was so happy to see Dark Cloud 2 re-released on the PS4 ('':

As far as I'm concerned, it was the last high quality Level 5 game, pretty much their swan song (their legacy) in my eyes lol. Not to discredit any of the Dr.Layton games or Ni No Kuni (however it's spelled xD), as they're arguably masterpieces. But they just weren't for me. Though the story's were definitely of Level 5's magic touch, but the gameplay(s), though very well done generally, just didn't have that same polish or as engaging like their early 2000's (and before) were.

But now I'm just digressing lol x)

Those two games have always left a huge impression on me, and honestly how it really shaped my perspective on video games as a whole, and for just being solid titles.

Though I could argue Megaman 8 being the second game I ever bought (Crash 2 was my first), and Megaman Legends really solidifying my love for games at such a young age.

But with the latter PS2 titles, they are still beautiful and well-crafted games that I still go back to when I can either listening to the OST's, or just playing them.

Dark Cloud 2 has definitely held up almost 13 years later, especially due to its timeless style.

Star Ocean though, visually is falls into the Final Fantasy 6, 7, and 9 fan-syndrone; where your nostalgia fogs your memory, and remembering the game(s) looking fantastic and beautiful. But then you do a Google Image search, and see just a bunch of low-poly, muddy character models LOL. I mean hell, half of the Final Fantasy games didn't even use real 3D environments (they're pre-rendered backgrounds haha).

But with Star Oceans gameplay though, I could argue it can compete with modern RPG's today, for how unique (though not the first) and in depth the battle mechanics were.

But anyways, that's my long-&#! story xD

EDIT: Oh, and here's the kickass intro to Dark Cloud 2:

Or, if you're a shredder on guitar like I am, listen to Divine Spirit of Language (I believe it's called) for Star Ocean til the End of Time. It's super fun to play all the solos on my 7-string electric hehe~

Edited by HalfDarkShadow

A song randomly popped into my head a few days ago, still not sure what it was, but I know it was from Need For Speed Hot Pursuit 2, so I booted up my OG Xbox, started the game, and saw that cutscene for the first time in years.

-snip-

14 years later, this game still holds up... What happened to the gaming industry? The past 3 or 4 NFS games have been complete garbage compared to this gem, and don't even get me started on Halo. So, what games from the good ol' days stick out to this day for you?