Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Now that there's (MORE!) timetraveling, can we travel back in time and kill "Lotus"? Specters of Rails Updated

Mak_Gohae

9 minutes ago, Mak_Gohae said:

"Lotus" saved no one. "Lotus" hid the tenno cause she wanted babies.

The tenno with their drone won the war against the Sentients.

The new story is simple. Some tenno go back and inform past time tenno of hunhow and that "lotus" is a sentient.

Everything plays out the same except when the tenno kill the orokin they also turn their swords on "lotus", they kill her while and then they go hunting for hunhow and kill him.

Then the clan dispense jobs and everything now develops naturally.

Oh, and we find out we are kids and develop tenno inside the wardrone technologies.

Now, for the people that want to play gamer kids hanging out in their space rooms eating orokitos and void dew, yeah, there can be a clan that developeds in that specific way.

The tenno saved the system. The tenno won the war against the sentients.

Read what i posted above.

In fact, she destroyed the system because once she hid the tenno the mess that we got now developed.

How do you explain the word time used by DE?

And let's hope DE is ready.

Actually, i dont think it's an issue since DE story development is one step forward 17k back. We have barely moved the story forward in Warframe since i started playing. DE loves barely telling you anything and bring up a bunch of questions so doing something like this would be perfect.

Lotus saved the entire Origin System from the Sentients by choosing to not destroy the Tenno and hiding the Reservoir, and then seemingly signalling to the Tau System that they didn't need to send any more Sentients. 

Also, putting Tenno inside the Warframe is the dumbest idea imaginable. Remember that part in the Second Dream where the Warframe gets quite easily impaled by the Stalker using the entirely blunt tip of War? Yeah, put the Tenno inside the Warframe and you lose Tenno whenever they go into combat.

In the end, though, the Tenno will never be given an opportunity to destroy the Lotus because the good people at DE seem to actually understand something about creating an interesting and ambiguous story and lore to their creations, and none of this adolescent wankery about 'Wah I want to kill space mum' is going to change that. Add to that the fact that the Tenno would never be able to rule the Origin system because all they are is soldiers, with no knowledge of anything else. Hell, they don't even understand basic human compassion except for Margulis and the Lotus. The Tenno need Lotus because, ultimately, they are just children.

On 3/1/2016 at 8:58 PM, Evanescent said:

Ya ever heard of a Time Paradox?

This story doesnt have to follow the rules of other stories.

On 3/1/2016 at 8:58 PM, CaterHowlett16 said:

Am I the only one who's concerned about the collateral damage all these reckless tenno would cause to the timeline? Sure you kill Lotus when she was a baby, but in the process, could also very well change the future to the point where you get something far worse.   

tumblr_lumbbucwOQ1r0hwtdo1_500.gif

What's far worst than the Grineer in charge fighting with the Corpus?

On 3/1/2016 at 9:25 PM, (XB1)SaintlySilver88 said:

i need to travel back in time and not sell the ether daggers bp that i thought were dual ethers which i already had 

Yes, there should be an option to buy back the last sold item.

On 3/1/2016 at 1:42 AM, ravend said:

So, your upset someone helping you out for free. the catch is that she doesnt share everything? How do you operate in the real world then? unless your a CEO or something similar your going to be on the short end of the info, you know need to know.

Im not a person that suddenly woke up and was told to go to Iraq and kill people just because.

As for the whole time travel thing, its the cheap way out and very really done right. Not to mention the whole paradox thing. even if we werent kill and put in storage then we would be vor's puppets. or did you forget that intro mission with the device stuck to our leg

If we kill the "lotus" that means the tenno are not put to sleep, she put the tenno to sleep to hide them. That means that the grineer dont have free reign to take over the orokin empire cause the tenno would be there.

8 minutes ago, Mak_Gohae said:

If we kill the "lotus" that means the tenno are not put to sleep, she put the tenno to sleep to hide them. That means that the grineer dont have free reign to take over the orokin empire cause the tenno would be there.

That is pure speculation on your part. with the lotus, then she would have been replaced with someone that didn't have any motherly feelings towards the tenno. or hell even hunhow completing the final part and killing us off. No lotus, no us period. Its not going to happen, there  wont be any killing the lotus or even switching to someone besides her. The tenno and the lotus are together like family. quit moaning or complaining about it, this isn't your story to tell, its DE's. Trying to change the story at this point is like yelling at a book.

41 minutes ago, Mak_Gohae said:

....Okay you asked for it....

WHAT WOULD HAPPEN IF NATAH NEVER EXISTED? (My theory)

Natah would be replaced with a sentient less forgiving. Who would follow orders and kill all the tenno.

With no Tenno, the sentient would invade. Hunhow would still be free and be leading the charge. Either killing all of the orokin, or enslaving them. Corpus would be enslaved, Grineer would be dead or non existent. 90% of the characters would have not existed or be dead. The sentient would go far enough to discover the technocyte virus the orokin had cooked up. Releasing it on the sentients and the orokin slaves. With no way of a cure and Sentients all over the galaxy, the technocyte virus would infect both sentient and orokin to the point that the sentient would be assimilated or leave, perhaps taking orokin slaves with them. Leaving the virus to consume the galaxies organic resources, burn it out and then die off. Leaving not just Earth, but every planet in the Milky Way a uninhabitable wasteland.

Now do you see why we need spacemom? If you want to kill her, do it in the present. None of this "prevent her from ever existing"  

No, warframe's story doesn't have to be like others. But it has to make sense.

A common characteristic of good story building is that it makes a minimum amount of sense. When you talk about time travel and changing the timeline, you have to consider the way the ends of your story will now connect back, and if they can't it's because you've created a time paradox, which is effective to shooting your story in the foot.

No Lotus, no motivation for you to go back in time and kill her, ergo she doesn't die, which gives you motivation to go back in time and kill her, ergo....

See? The story collapses. And nothing breaks a game better than a plot that doesn't work.

The problem here is that you lot are trying to form conclusions from an incomplete pool of data. Worse still, you refuse to accept repercussions from new reveals because the general intent is to twist the fact to suit the theory and not the other way around.

If the lore was done, and we knew exactly what happened I'd have no problems accepting you forming your own headcanon but this is just ridiculous. 

Edited by Evanescent

5 hours ago, Mak_Gohae said:

This story doesnt have to follow the rules of other stories.

Time travel, regardless of other stories is a mess all on it's own; especially when it is used to change stuff drastically. 

Take this for example, if you kill the Lotus then the events that led up to you being able to travel back in time to kill her never happened meaning you never traveled back to kill her. So your own action would be canceling out the effect you wanted to have.

Besides that, Killing the Lotus gets rid of one of the possibilities of tracking Hunhow down. Imagine Lotus and Tenno figuring out a way of using Hunhow's link with her against him like he did himself. 

The remnants of the Orokin empire with a hate so deep to that Tenno eventually becomes synonymous with Betrayers. Now instead of Grineer and Corpus versus each other and the people it is 'People the Tenno were raised to defend' vs 'the Tenno'. Of course the Tenno are going to defend themselves and considering there MO that can lead down some bad paths that could paint the Tenno in a worse light then they are now. 

Edited by (PS4)Lowk721

jordas talks to us during the archwing fight telling us we are infested and phorbin says we are their flesh....and after the shadow scene and our tenno breaking war as well the "glitch" cutscene i am thinking the frames have their own minds.

just think about this: lotus said the stalker went insane from the knowledge of the womb of the sky. wonder if it is the cause of the frames mind and his "merging". 

i am thinking of this: we will get to see the back story of the stalker and how he became himself or we will see what caused us to "snap". either way the time travel thing is more likely going to be memory regression.

18 hours ago, Drasiel said:

I feel like the lotus might care about both of us. We basically have an almost symbiotic or mutualistic interaction between the warframes and operator. Even if you only view the warframes as something like a hand or tool, it still really sucks to loose your best hammer. Also I can imagine you'd end up with a pretty strange relationship with that hammer if it could move and think on it's own.

The idea of us being the warframes may not be what DE is going for, but it's a fun idea and the one I think I will personally choose to believe unless it's ever confirmed or denied.

We don't know that the warframes are independently alive and thinking. We have indications and hints that it's the case, but no hard evidence. A more puzzling question is this: if warframes are sapient, why doesn't Lotus complain about you selling your 'frames? Is she just fine with painless euthanization? If so, then why doesn't it apply to Kubrows? The only thing that really makes sense at this point would be that the "Mirage" and "Limbo" in the quest are not Tenno (in the sense we have now), but something else. It's possible that they're Tenno inside the 'frame, but that fits under "not Tenno" until we find out otherwise.

I like the idea as well, as I said before. That doesn't make it canon. You're free to choose to believe it, but I don't want to get attached to an idea that may be proven wrong later.

Another issue with this idea is in the notion that if we killed Lotus the Tenno could still defeat the Sentients. From what we can tell about Natah's mission, she was active and manipulating the Tenno behind the scenes during the Old War. Therefore, it's not a huge leap of faith to assume that the Sentients allowed the Orokin to 'win' the Old War so that the Orokin would bring the Tenno back into their society and put them in the perfect place for a massacre.

2 hours ago, ChronoEclipse said:

We don't know that the warframes are independently alive and thinking. We have indications and hints that it's the case, but no hard evidence. A more puzzling question is this: if warframes are sapient, why doesn't Lotus complain about you selling your 'frames? Is she just fine with painless euthanization? If so, then why doesn't it apply to Kubrows? The only thing that really makes sense at this point would be that the "Mirage" and "Limbo" in the quest are not Tenno (in the sense we have now), but something else. It's possible that they're Tenno inside the 'frame, but that fits under "not Tenno" until we find out otherwise.

I like the idea as well, as I said before. That doesn't make it canon. You're free to choose to believe it, but I don't want to get attached to an idea that may be proven wrong later.

I've always assumed that whenever you sell something you're selling it to the Lotus. She then places it in storage for future use. Since their creation there have always been more Warframes than Tenno, and we certainly store them on the Liset with no qualms about their feelings on the matter.

My interpretation of the final Second Dream cutscene is that the Warframe being active without her was actually something that shocked the Tenno. Now, it's possible that Lotus controlled it, which would take us back to the situation where the Warframes are just biomechanical tools. However, the idea that the Warframe was acting independently is far more compelling and I can imagine DE wanted to set up these exact questions to be resolved in a future quest line. I personally would be disappointed if DE just said 'Lotus did it', but its a possibility. However, I think that making the Warframes into something far more than just weapons of war would lead to much more interesting lore. Of course, it's DE's prerogative .

Although, if Lotus was the one controlling the Warframe then it opens up the tantalising possibility that what's inside the Warframe is some kind of Sentient. This would also explain the glitches that the Tenno have been experiencing since Hunhow's reawakening. That would be fascinating, and much more interesting than the 'infested mulch' theory of what's inside the Warframe. However, if Lotus had been controlling the Warframe then why did she bother to physically turn up to carry us over to the pod?

34 minutes ago, Attley said:

I've always assumed that whenever you sell something you're selling it to the Lotus. She then places it in storage for future use. Since their creation there have always been more Warframes than Tenno, and we certainly store them on the Liset with no qualms about their feelings on the matter.

Why does she make us pay her to take our Kubrows, then? Use by whom? (Definitely not other Tenno)
We also store Kubrows on the Liset with no qualms about their feelings on the matter, but we can't sell the Kubrow or actively kill it.

40 minutes ago, Attley said:

My interpretation of the final Second Dream cutscene is that the Warframe being active without her was actually something that shocked the Tenno.

That is my interpretation as well. As you say, it is not necessarily the "correct" interpretation since DE could go another direction with it.

41 minutes ago, Attley said:

However, if Lotus had been controlling the Warframe then why did she bother to physically turn up to carry us over to the pod?

Mothers will be mothers, and space-mom is no different :V
Seriously, though, it's quite possible that Lotus's control over 'frames is very limited in some way. Perhaps extended contact would damage the 'frame (or maybe it hurts her, given that 'frames are powered by void energy), or she can't control the 'frame in a precise enough manner to actually walk.

45 minutes ago, Attley said:

which would take us back to the situation where the Warframes are just biomechanical tools

This, in particular, is supported by Alad's comments during the Second Dream. He said he has seen what's inside a warframe, and what he saw did not make sense. It seems reasonable to interpret that as an inability to find any sort of reasoning center/fully functioning brain.
I think it could be analogous to Cortex Command's meatpuppets/clones, if you know anything about that. Short version: the meatpuppets are braindead, but are properly outfitted with stuff that allows another brain to control the body's actions remotely. Interrogating or dissecting a meatpuppet won't give you much because there's basically nothing there aside from the body's basic infrastructure.

If we build a time machine and go back in time to kill the lotus then with the lotus dead the future would change ect. ,ect. and in the future we may either A. not be here to travel back in time or B. have no reason to go back in time. So if we wind up not going back in time doesn't that mean we wind up not killing the lotus?

Besides the way I see it time is Solid anyone who goes back in time can never change history.... only cause it. In other words a person who wants to go back in time to make Leonardo a cobbler rather than a painter would wind up being the cause of Leonardo becoming a painter. 

1 hour ago, Attley said:

Another issue with this idea is in the notion that if we killed Lotus the Tenno could still defeat the Sentients. From what we can tell about Natah's mission, she was active and manipulating the Tenno behind the scenes during the Old War. Therefore, it's not a huge leap of faith to assume that the Sentients allowed the Orokin to 'win' the Old War so that the Orokin would bring the Tenno back into their society and put them in the perfect place for a massacre.

My interpretation of the final Second Dream cutscene is that the Warframe being active without her was actually something that shocked the Tenno. Now, it's possible that Lotus controlled it, which would take us back to the situation where the Warframes are just biomechanical tools. However, the idea that the Warframe was acting independently is far more compelling and I can imagine DE wanted to set up these exact questions to be resolved in a future quest line. I personally would be disappointed if DE just said 'Lotus did it', but its a possibility. However, I think that making the Warframes into something far more than just weapons of war would lead to much more interesting lore. Of course, it's DE's prerogative .

Although, if Lotus was the one controlling the Warframe then it opens up the tantalising possibility that what's inside the Warframe is some kind of Sentient. This would also explain the glitches that the Tenno have been experiencing since Hunhow's reawakening. That would be fascinating, and much more interesting than the 'infested mulch' theory of what's inside the Warframe. However, if Lotus had been controlling the Warframe then why did she bother to physically turn up to carry us over to the pod?

I still say that was the opperator controlling the warframe from a short distance while being choked by stalker.

On 3/1/2016 at 0:01 PM, Attley said:

Back then there wasn't really any lore, and nothing he says there is actually wrong. The Warframe is an exosuit, it's just not worn by the Operator but by something else. 

There was even a dev stream where the artist discuss how the Tenno look with the warframe helmets off.

This is what I don't understand about the 'I want to play as the Warframe not the Operator' crowd. You do play as the Warframe, nothing about the gameplay has changed at all, all that has changed is that we now know that the Warframes are not fully independent and rely on the Operator for much of (but not all) of their motions. My assumption as to why they decided to distinguish between the Operator and the Warframe is partly to explain how one Tenno can be multiple different frames with different body-types and sexes, and also to embellish the Samurai-esque feel of the Tenno with the implication that certain Warframes are more akin to Ronin. Stalker, for example, would seem to be a Warframe that discovered the truth about itself and went awol on its Operator.

I dont know what that crowd thinks . This thread is about tenno wearing the frames in whatever degree like they kept describing. Guyver, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Robotech, etc, etc.

And as for Nova, the reason we have newer and older Warframes is because the Orokin were constantly searching for new ways to use the Void powers of the Tenno to fight the ancients. The Tenno don't have specific abilities, each Warframe doesn't match a single Tenno, instead the Tenno have a rather ambiguous set of powers concerning the Void and the Warframes are designed to channel those powers in specific ways - the earliest Warframes all built on powers the Tenno naturally exhibited (read Ember Prime's Codex) and the newer ones are built more to fulfil specific roles rather than enhance what the Tenno can already do.

Nova was created in the present, as in now.

At the time the discussion was about what frame could be turned into primes. Then DE wiped out any info that put any sort of date on the making of Nova.

On 3/1/2016 at 1:26 PM, Noioiy said:

Why do you wanna kill Lotus?

If you go back in time and kill lotus you're changing the future too. No lotus = no one there to wake you up from the cryosleep.

Don't think that's a bad idea?

"Lotus" is the one that put the tenno to sleep. So when you kill the "lotus" no one goes to sleep.

That's a good idea.

On 3/1/2016 at 1:38 PM, Plushy said:

Do I get free noggles for it? If not then I don't feel like it. 

Yes, a Hunhow noggle.

On 3/1/2016 at 1:39 PM, (PS4)Lowk721 said:

Pretty sure that was either the second dream the apparently Margulis put them into or an effect of cryosleep. If she was the one who wiped there memory when they remembered after being awoken they probably would have said something.

Also she is a perfect fit for the Tenno, who else but an insane person would stand by a race murderous mutants?

I think he is talking about erasing any info about the Old War and not letting everyone know about it.

You know, like screwing up Ordis which turned him into the annoying thing he is now?

3 hours ago, Mak_Gohae said:

I think he is talking about erasing any info about the Old War and not letting everyone know about it.

You know, like screwing up Ordis which turned him into the annoying thing he is now?

Lotus so far has only really been revealed to have hidden the moon.

Just like they teased the orbiter being bigger through Ordis, I think they may have dropped a hint that Ordis might have been the one who did that. Which would make some sense considering his devotion being in the same range as Lotus. An extreme measures to hid information that might hurt them kind of fits that level of devotion.

On 3/1/2016 at 4:20 PM, Attley said:

The Tenno managed to defend the Origin System from a single Sentient attack, with the support of billions of Dax Soldiers (whatever they are). They then subsequently, due to manipulation by a Sentient, slaughtered the upper echelons of Orokin society and caused the downfall of the empire.

Now, it depends when you go back and kill the Lotus, but all of them are bad.

- If you somehow kill her before she arrives in the Origin system then the Sentients would simply said another infiltrator, and it's very unlikely that the next infiltrator would have had the same turn of heart Natah had. Thus, the Tenno all commit seppuku and the Sentients take over the system.

- If you kill her after she has encouraged the Tenno to kill the Orokin but before she hides the Reservoir then when Hunhow was awakened he would have been able to destroy the Reservoir with all of the Operators inside and thus destroyed the Tenno. The Tenno wouldn't have been able to defend it even if they had all been awake, as Hunhow could easily have signalled to the Tau system and then just waited for another wave of Sentient fleets that, without the Orokin's billions of disposable soldiers, the Tenno would not have been able to defeat. 

And so your only hope is to kill her after she has hidden the Reservoir but before she has placed the Warframes in cryosleep, and frankly if you do that then you're just living on borrowed time until the Sentients send another wave of attackers who can overwhelm the Tenno. Currently, if the Sentients do send another wave to finish the Old War (if Hunhow decides to act rationally and stop trying to get revenge against Natah) then the only hope the Tenno have of surviving is in the Lotus's intimate knowledge of the Sentients.

We know where Hunhow is, we know what the "lotus" is.

When we kill the bad Orokin we, at the same time, launch an attack on all sentients.

It's very easy.

On 3/1/2016 at 4:41 PM, (PS4)Lowk721 said:

The same people who either help or try themselves to enslave, dissect, vivisect, and straight up just murder Tenno. I wonder why the person whose very existence is pretty much defined by the Tenno would offer those suggestions. 

These folks want to learn about Wardrone-tech. And the reply by "lotus" is to kill them.

So instead of being benevolent and having some exchange the "lotus" starts a war. That chick is evil,  man.

1 minute ago, Mak_Gohae said:

When we kill the bad Orokin we, at the same time, launch an attack on all sentients.

It's very easy.

Yeah that's not going to work, the Tenno aren't an army, they couldn't have won without the Orokin's zero-tech soldiers doing most of the work.

Not to mention the possibility that the Sentients allowed us to win solely to set up the coup led by Natah.

1 hour ago, Mak_Gohae said:

We know the location of one of his larger bodies. But as it is shown in the quest one dead body does not stop him from being around.

1 hour ago, Mak_Gohae said:

These folks want to learn about Wardrone-tech. And the reply by "lotus" is to kill them.

So instead of being benevolent and having some exchange the "lotus" starts a war. That chick is evil,  man.

Nice double standard vilifying Lotus while trying to paint Grineer and Corpus as the innocent party. They raid defenseless colonies. The Grineer actually enslaves the populations.  Not only that, The Grineer were the ones who started this all. They tried to take out the Tenno while they all slept so no one would get in their way. Lotus went "Ya dun goofed" and started waking the Tenno.  

They don't know warframes are wardrones, they thought they were killing Tenno. They don't give a crap about wardrones, Corpus has that stuff already. What they want is either the Tenno out of the way or have the power they possess.

There is proper reasoning for wanting to keep that kind of power out of their hands. That's like saying "Oh Hitler is just making unstoppable super-soldier, we're evil for trying to stop him." The closest thing to good any of them try to do is Tyl and he is specifically using it to create more powerful death machines to make the Grineer even more unstoppable.

The event of the entire game could have been avoided if the Grineer or the Corpus weren't power obsessed jerk. 

Edited by (PS4)Lowk721

I like how some people assume that going back in time and killing Natah would not happen because (besides DE not allowing it) they are only looking at one version of time travel when there are plenty of versions of how time travel could work, depending on how the writers use it. Just to name a few ways:

- Prince of Persia (Sands of Time, Warrior Within, The Two Thrones, etc.), Command and Conquer Red Alert series (1,2, and 3), Timesplitters, and many other games didn't use the "go back in time and change it = time paradox that destroys the universe" method. Instead, when the past was altered, the future was altered with it. Only those who jumped back into the past would retain memories of their original timeline.

- Then you have the version (which I believe another poster before me) brought up was jumping back into the past and changing something would cause a split and create an alternate timeline that exists alongside the time jumper's own timeline. Best example off the top of my head is Trunks from DBZ (jumped back into the past in the hopes of changing his = created a split that he could jump back to anytime he had enough energy in his Time machine)

-You got the whole "can't change the past because if you do = future vanishes" method. So even if the "right thing to do" is to save somebody from dying, if they were supposed to die at that point, you have to let them otherwise time destroys itself.

In the end, if DE did choose Time travel, they would be the ones to decide on how it would function in their universe. If they plan on having it where the community could change the history of the game or keep it the same, then they better have a backup plan if everybody decided to go the "Lets see how much we can change" route.

IMO, I'd be all for going back in time, dissecting Natah to see how Sentients tick back then, then constructing better weapons from the data before wiping them out completely and permanently. Probably wipe out the Orokin Elite and then watch as the galaxy burns while the major factions fight it out in a possible never ending bloodbath instead of.... you know, taking a nap. Then whomever is the winner......wipe out their top people and see if another war breaks out because of it. I'm sure if Darvo somehow survives it he would love me!