Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

To everyone that has seen Devstream 71 and still oppose genderswap

RadioLarity

10 minutes ago, Eminem2420 said:

tbh, this whole gender swap thing would just be a huge waste of time for DE. Not to mention it would break lore, and that is a huge turnoff.

How exactly would that "break lore"?

Is there any reasons why our operator (well, us) would think something like this?

I don't know, but it's like before going into a mission you would be thinking "Should I go there as a male? as a female?".

It doesn't make any sense. We, Tenno, Operators, are here to kill, complete missions, take part in a larger war.

Our Warframes, like it or not, are just another mean to slaughter. A Warframe IS a weapon.

It's probably not just a weapon, but its main purpose is this and only this : being a weapon.

So yeah, does it matter if your weapon is a male or a female? As long as it is effective.

BUT

DE opened the door of non-stats cosmetics. So... Here we are.

But at some point they need to draw a line between what can be customized and what can't be.

Painting your plane or tank before going to war has always been a common thing. Decorating it with shiny swaggy stuff... well that's already too much I think.

So swapping genders? Oh god no. Let's not forget what we are before everything turns into a Kawaii show-off war parody.

Edited by matto

In my opinion they should only put minimal effort into this but still make it happen somehow. Not a lot of resources but still enough to make it work. Just try to prevent the "genderswapping" from interfering with the development process of the main game. We still need way more polishing in all aspects of this game which should take priority but i also kind of want it to happen.

There have been quite a bit of arguments here and there that genderswapping would destroy the personality of frames but i will have to disagree on that. Personality can be defined by looks but locking it in gender is kind of odd.

I don't want to spark a "ermagerd gender-equality" discussion here but if valkyr would have turned out to be male it would have not made a difference in the theme much. People complained about her not being male and now she is female and everyone is okay with it now. Some would change it if they could and some would not just because they prefer her as female.

I think finding a middle ground here is important. We can either rage at each other for having different opinions or just come to the conclusion that genderswapping frames is an okay thing to do or not.

From my point of view i wouldn't necessarily care about the lore of the frames. We had a mirage frame that fought until it shut down and we had a forgotten atlas frame we had to dig up. Then we also got an inoras frame that was worshiped as a god. Those frames were the originals or most noticable ones or simply the ones we came in contact with first but that doesn't mean that we could not just built a genderswapped version with the same powers. The valkyr i have in my arsenal is a valkyr not the valkyr that was tortured by alad V. After all Tenno are the pilots and my Tenno was not tortured as i can recall. At least not by alad V. To further strengthen this argument, i think Loki has a serial number written on him, so warframes can be mass produced. We also only build the tenno-warframes because prime ones are to hard to build without the necessary blueprints and the blueprints are to rare to hand out like candy.

Oh great, now the tenno are having an identity crises... This is the kind of stuff that just sucks all the fun out of a game. Wow, just what I need, a girly exal with a little pink flower on it's head or a frost with a skirt.. yeah, give me a break already.

If the pre-production art team has nothing else on their plates, by all means. I would be happy to see some gender-swapped versions of my favorite frames, tbh. Not to mention giving players the choice that they want.

Not going through the rather complicated issues some people may have with player a specific gender in a videogame, but - more power to each.

And more female frames means more sexy fanart. ...ya! Win-win.

I, for one, oppose the gender swap. I'd rather them work on new frames and new skins for existing models since skins are easier/quicker to make than remodelling the whole frame.

Edited by Lijka

Going to side with the people who want this to happen, but not as a priority. I doubt it will happen because DE have been against it in the past, but personally I prefer playing with a female avatar.

You know how the saying goes, ''If I'm going to stare at an arse all day...''

2 minutes ago, ScorpDK said:

If the pre-production art team has nothing else on their plates, by all means. I would be happy to see some gender-swapped versions of my favorite frames, tbh. Not to mention giving players the choice that they want.

Not going through the rather complicated issues some people may have with player a specific gender in a videogame, but - more power to each.

And more female frames means more sexy fanart. ...ya! Win-win.

So much agreeable stuff in this one post. (i mean the fanart just kinda but still)

If at all it should be a choice. Choices are not bad and i don't see why everyone is complaining. If there is time in the development process it should happen, if not, well okay then, i can still life with it. Just develop genderswap stuff at the side, not as a priority. I also think Tennogen could help out here but i already see that this could be a problem with consoles.

Just now, Cloverdew said:

Dont waste developers time with this stupid ideas! They already have one - pvp!

you're right. The 2D and 3D (concept) artists should stop drawing Loki, Ash and Rhino with curves and instead learn how to program to fix the issues that have absolutely nothing to do with their department... [/sarcasm]

1 minute ago, Cloverdew said:

Dont waste developers time with this stupid ideas! They already have one - pvp!

And what about people who don't like pvp? Also i do remember warframe being a cooperative multiplayer experience, which is the reason i joined 2 years ago. Not to say you are wrong but i think we should consider all opinions (which is very hard). PvP has a reason to exist but does it have the utmost importance to just disregard everything else? Plus i think the design team that does moddeling is not doing the rebalancing of gameplay.

27 minutes ago, Ambiroa said:

I missed the stream, so what exactly is the genderswap? An option in Arsenal, or a list of frames that might swap genders?

Its nothing.  It was a question posed to the devs which the devs have previously answered as "no", this time it was asked as "could you let tenno-gen make genderswap skins".  To which they responded that they never really considered (likely because they have already against the concept previously).  

Disclosure, I'm generally opposed to the concept.  Warframes to me are pretty gender neutral they are suits of armor more so than a living thing.  People who feel the need to change their gender can do so with there tube-child in the backseat.  I'm also not a general fan of "sexy fanart" or having other people sexualizing my hobbies.  I realize and understand that some people are really really into that, and they love going on tumblr and looking of genderswap sexy fanarts, though I don't feel that has any real place within Warframe.  Nothing is stopping the fanart they desire, but keeping it out of the game and on tumblr/twitter/wherever seems the best course of action.  

I'd also in general rather have more deluxe skins, and more just nice skins for pre-existing frames/identities not recreating whats already their with a different gender.  Further the concept of yeah thats the default skin, but if you want the cool high quality skin with shiny parts you gotta have boobs or a codpiece, is just a rather unfortunate concept.   

1 minute ago, Brosephelon said:

Its nothing.  It was a question posed to the devs which the devs have previously answered as "no", this time it was asked as "could you let tenno-gen make genderswap skins".  To which they responded that they never really considered (likely because they have already against the concept previously).  

Disclosure, I'm generally opposed to the concept.  Warframes to me are pretty gender neutral they are suits of armor more so than a living thing.  People who feel the need to change their gender can do so with there tube-child in the backseat.  I'm also not a general fan of "sexy fanart" or having other people sexualizing my hobbies.  I realize and understand that some people are really really into that, and they love going on tumblr and looking of genderswap sexy fanarts, though I don't feel that has any real place within Warframe.  Nothing is stopping the fanart they desire, but keeping it out of the game and on tumblr/twitter/wherever seems the best course of action.  

I'd also in general rather have more deluxe skins, and more just nice skins for pre-existing frames/identities not recreating whats already their with a different gender.  Further the concept of yeah thats the default skin, but if you want the cool high quality skin with shiny parts you gotta have boobs or a codpiece, is just a rather unfortunate concept.   

Thanks..

2 minutes ago, ScorpDK said:

you're right. The 2D and 3D (concept) artists should stop drawing Loki, Ash and Rhino with curves and instead learn how to program to fix the issues that have absolutely nothing to do with their department... [/sarcasm]

Or they could desing new Skins or maybe more diverse NPCs for the Realais...and not bind their time for ages for...how many frames do we have now? (not sure if the same artist are responsible for tiles and environment, but if so that would be an argument too) And then there is the question how different can those gender skin look or different do they have to look. And would'nt that make them kind of a new frame? (do we know how much time and resources DE has for this anyway? They artist have to work on future frames too.)

I don't see them letting those genderswaps being made on tennogen, it's steam exclusive at the moment and everbody else would not be able to use the skins. Not to mention that it feels kind of meh, when this option was outside the game kind of.

Lorewise I would like for DE to explain what exactly warframes are and how they and their desings were created in the first place. It might not be impossible to alter blueprints we use to build frames?

I'll be honest, I could get on the genderswap train purely because I'm a big fan of Ember and would like to be able to play as a male version of her. I'm not a big fan of playing as female frames, idk why. I genuinely don't really care and it's not something I'm gonna waste time thinking about or hoping for. I can absolutely agree that DE has muh better ways to use their time.

yey.

Now people wont have to deal with their sexist discomfort of playing the other sex, and can stay on their small comfort bubble.

Suppose that's what you get when you treat games solely has a product and a service instead of an art form with an opinion.

Whatever. Done with this subject.

Oh, and OP: Concept Art and discarted models can NOT be used as proof for anything.

And your whole post was childish has hell.

17 minutes ago, Lionheart.Zyr said:

I'll be honest, I could get on the genderswap train purely because I'm a big fan of Ember and would like to be able to play as a male version of her. I'm not a big fan of playing as female frames, idk why. I genuinely don't really care and it's not something I'm gonna waste time thinking about or hoping for. I can absolutely agree that DE has muh better ways to use their time.

Because subconsciously you don't see women belonging to the same group has you, and you (also subconsciously) consider belonging to their group (through personalization through a character) an undesired thing.

Simple put, and without saying this as an insult (more as an unfortunate fact), you are being sexist.