Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why does TennoGen stuff cost money?

BelieverZ

Question

I'm just curious, don't get me wrong I spend money on this game, I rarely trade to make platium. 

But can someone explain why these cost real life currency? £4.99 which is about ~100 platium is there a reason for it, Is it steams idea?

Why is that some tennogen skins cost platium, but steam workshops don't. Also, do the creators get a cut of the money, If the is a thread explaining the process could someone link me please.

25 answers to this question

The reason the current Tennogen submissions require currency as opposed to Platinum is due to the new system of submitting items through the Steam Workshop. In exchange for the workshop system services Valve requires a cut of the proceeds from sales, and they are not particularly interested in being paid with Platinum.

Edited by -FV-Metheria
Removed double word

Just now, Gryphticon said:

It'll stop costing money once DE figures out how to pay the creators from what I've heard.

8 minutes ago, BelieverZ said:

I'm just curious, don't get me wrong I spend money on this game, I rarely trade to make platium. 

But can someone explain why these cost real life currency? £4.99 which is about ~100 platium is there a reason for it, Is it steams idea?

Why is that some tennogen skins cost platium, but steam workshops don't. Also, do the creators get a cut of the money, If the is a thread explaining the process could someone link me please.

KvrOT8p.png

wtCiwr1.png

Source : 

The steam workshop allows for more creations to see the light of day and get more attention. It is good for the people making the content and for DE to see how much interest a skin has. We pay steam and Steam pays the developer and DE

The thing is though, steam does not accept platinum as it is not money. So only when DE makes a deal for indirect purchases with steam is when the skins will become available with plat. (or disconnect tennogen from the workshop but then you lose the advantages of the workshop platform)

7 minutes ago, BelieverZ said:

What about the previous TennoGen stuff with profile icons, do they still get paid platium?

Profile Icons weren't made using the steam workshop and had nothing to do with steam wheras the current cosmetics require Steam workshop to be apporved. Steam needs to take in some money for anything that uses its services so people who make things on tennogen get paid through steam

Edit: This is the original contest page on Polycount :http://polycount.com/discussion/160434/warframe-tennogen-contest-details

Which is probably a little outdated at this point

this is the Warframe site's page : https://warframe.com/news/tennogen-steam-workshop

Edited by -Amaterasu-
links

6 minutes ago, BelieverZ said:

What about the previous TennoGen stuff with profile icons, do they still get paid platium?

All I can say is. DE is figuring out a way to bring these to console. But in order to do that. DE first have to figure out how to turn it into platinum while still giving back to creators. Just know. I won't be buying no in game default alt helms. I'll be getting all TennoGen gear when it comes. Lol 

3 minutes ago, -FV-Metheria said:

The reason the current Tennogen submissions require currency as opposed to Platinum is due to the new system of submitting items through the Steam Workshop. In in exchange for the workshop system services Valve requires a cut of the proceeds from sales, and they are not particularly interested in being paid with Platinum.

That and it makes it much easier to pay the creators through Steam than it is to use some complex reimbursement system.

Because DE made the (imo terrible) decision of going with steam workshop as their means of expanding into community asset creation- and they're basically stuck with this now, and we'll probably never get this stuff offered to us as platinum items. Because steam.

20 minutes ago, Gryphticon said:

It'll stop costing money once DE figures out how to pay the creators from what I've heard.

I'm pretty sure they can't do that with the already-made stuff at any point in time. They said they want to do that with stuff in the future once they figure that stuff out. I could be wrong, I honestly really hope I am. Just stating what I believe is the case.

1 hour ago, BelieverZ said:

Those tennogen were from contests people submitted ideas for; enemies, main, secondary, and melee weapons however making those was all DE's doing. There were also contests for profile icons and skins, the creators get paid 25% of the platinum instead of straight money. Just sauce: http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Tennogen_Weapon_Skin_Bundle

Although I don't know the process I'm pretty sure when creating and buying through Steam some royalties go to Steam. So I'd say it's just easier to pay in cash at the moment instead having to convert back and fourth to pay everyone.

Edited by Postal_pat

I want some of the newer tenno gen items, but there is no way in hell i'm buying them separately when I already have plat I bought.  Some time ago during a devstream they said there were looking into making it possible to get them in game with plat, but who knows if it will ever happen.  I am sure DE could probably figure out a way if they really wanted to though. 

IMHO the prices are just too high

1-2$ instead of 3-5$ would be far better and contribute to more sales overall [ie more for DE and creators]

and this is separate from any issue of why $ vs plat or the payment methods to the creators, obviously i think its awesome the the creators are getting a share

2 hours ago, CY13ERPUNK said:

IMHO the prices are just too high

1-2$ instead of 3-5$ would be far better and contribute to more sales overall [ie more for DE and creators]

and this is separate from any issue of why $ vs plat or the payment methods to the creators, obviously i think its awesome the the creators are getting a share

No, it wouldn't be a fair price at all. The prices as of now are actually fair to how much you pay to get plat.

b5gmkn8.png

$1-2 is waaaaaaaaaaay too low. The prices right now are fine.

Edited by KJRenz

6 minutes ago, KJRenz said:

No, it wouldn't be a fair price at all. The prices as of now are actually fair to how much you pay to get plat.

b5gmkn8.png

i completely understand what you are saying, but we fundamentally disagree

i realize what plat sells for, and i also realize that 5$ for 75 plat is redonk

13 hours ago, KJRenz said:

b5gmkn8.png

The log in reward discounts completely invalidates this.  As most people (at least as far as I know, and this applies to PC) never pay full price for plat, they wait for a coupon then buy.  Or they get plat from prime access, which is also discounted. 

That being said, I also do agree that 1 to 2 dollars for tenno gen items is too low.  I say that because there is a revenue split between the creator and DE/Steam. 

Edited by ClockworkSpectre

18 hours ago, Eureka.seveN said:

impossible, this is user created content. They cant make it farm able unless the creator wants it.

Nah man, I was saying farmable as "farm + trade + buy", don't worry!

Of course users who made these should get some dolla dolla bill y'all...