Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Should Oro be removed from Annihilation (Free For All) mode?

KuroShiranui

I mean instead of collecting oro to score, you just need to obtain a kill, just like how a typical Deathmatch works. Current DM is so hectic that while you already killed this one guy, another guy kills you and then collect both oros. It also seem to encourage less play; you'd just stand at the side waiting for the many players to kill each other and then you swoop in and kill the last one standing, all in a number of seconds. 

One point to add is that oros have a little delay to spawn after you've killed a player, in which the above scenario I mentioned, the third player would kill you before you can collect the oro, even when you kill using melee. If anything, oro spawn should be instantaneous, but removing oro altogether would solve the issue as well.

Just for clarification I am talking about Free For All, not the regular Team Deathmatch.

So again, should oro be removed from Annihilation mode and let only kills determine the score?

Edited by KuroShiranui
Added a point on oro spawn delay

I normally won't dislike the oro system..... if we have dedicated servers.

Sure, I understand it is a pain when you kill someone and another player takes the oro (or kills you then takes 2 oro), but you also need to take into the account of problems with weapons like Daikyu (my main) not killing with 15+m body shot on tank or snipers not killing on headshots as it usually leaves target with barely any health and any random boltor / soma / rifle will pick those kills up easily.

However I do agree the oro system is flawed in the sense that oros sometime do not "spawn" immediately after you kill target or you can't get the oro because of lag, while the host can steal as many oros because of connection issues (basically host advantage)

I recommend having the oros to only be collected by the killer for the first 0.5 or 1 second, then it is free for grabs for everyone. Alternatively we can have dedicated servers, but DE doesn't seem to want to invest in these servers which will solve a good amount of problems existing in conclave, so I am recommending this "bandaid" solution for now

1 hour ago, (PS4)ATreidezz said:

No...i like oros, its simply challenging to me, its not just about killing, but also tactics & skill, thats what conclave PvP should be....

Honestly it feels like a cheap tactic to me, you camp and wait. Also in an FFA mode, using long ranged weapons can be quite the disadvantage even with the oro coming towards you. Since there was a delay in the oro appearing once a player is dead.

1 hour ago, 14159265358979323846 said:

I normally won't dislike the oro system..... if we have dedicated servers.

Sure, I understand it is a pain when you kill someone and another player takes the oro (or kills you then takes 2 oro), but you also need to take into the account of problems with weapons like Daikyu (my main) not killing with 15+m body shot on tank or snipers not killing on headshots as it usually leaves target with barely any health and any random boltor / soma / rifle will pick those kills up easily.

However I do agree the oro system is flawed in the sense that oros sometime do not "spawn" immediately after you kill target or you can't get the oro because of lag, while the host can steal as many oros because of connection issues (basically host advantage)

I recommend having the oros to only be collected by the killer for the first 0.5 or 1 second, then it is free for grabs for everyone. Alternatively we can have dedicated servers, but DE doesn't seem to want to invest in these servers which will solve a good amount of problems existing in conclave, so I am recommending this "bandaid" solution for now

Well, I guess that would depend on player skill to quickly switch to secondary melee and charge towards said player.

And yeah, I realized the oro lag by now. So that's why I tend to not be getting any oro with melee kills (when I melee kill someone and then someone kills me just afterwards). I guess that is one thing DE should look up for. Perhaps i'll include this on the main post.

Well, instead of dedicated server, I believe they should just do matchmaking like how CoD does it. Gather players in the region, choose the best host, and then start. Then again, it belongs to another topic.

1 hour ago, VRHmason said:

Make obtaining an Oros a mod of gameplay and "normal" deatmatch/team deathmatch as another mod.

Hmm, I don't know, seems to be too much of a work. 

Oro regulates player movement.

As mentioned by others- it prevents some camper at the other end of the map just sniping in peace. It means that aggressors have to 

A) close distance to the oro to defend it after the kill (a predictable movement for other players to exploit! See an Oro laying around? Either ready a shot on the Oro, or claim it yourself!)

B) choose their targets optimally such that other players will not take the Oro before they can

And of course, Oro also creates situations where proper positioning will allow you to steal other players Oro.

Remove Oro? High skilled players will have a farther engagement distance (unless shotgun) without having to claim or defend their Oro. Their movement and positioning will become much more unpredictable than it already is.

Edited by Pythadragon

:smile:

18 minutes ago, KuroShiranui said:

Honestly it feels like a cheap tactic to me, you camp and wait. Also in an FFA mode, using long ranged weapons can be quite the disadvantage even with the oro coming towards you. Since there was a delay in the oro appearing once a player is dead.

What cheap tactics? Oros are simply a way to say...kill count doesnt makes you a champ straight away. 

I like oros, and my internet is sucks, so i dont get oro a lot (lag city), but i still racks up kills in conclave. By the time a match finished, (and someone else scored 25 oros) i could always BRAG: "You got oros, but im still better than you, cos i got most kills..."

Or when i got most oros and win the match, but not with the most kills: "You got kills but i still win the match skrub..."

Edited by (PS4)ATreidezz

2 hours ago, Pythadragon said:

Oro regulates player movement.

As mentioned by others- it prevents some camper at the other end of the map just sniping in peace. It means that aggressors have to 

A) close distance to the oro to defend it after the kill (a predictable movement for other players to exploit! See an Oro laying around? Either ready a shot on the Oro, or claim it yourself!)

B) choose their targets optimally such that other players will not take the Oro before they can

And of course, Oro also creates situations where proper positioning will allow you to steal other players Oro.

Remove Oro? High skilled players will have a farther engagement distance (unless shotgun) without having to claim or defend their Oro. Their movement and positioning will become much more unpredictable than it already is.

Well, if you can manage to snipe far away, hitting your target at the other end, then it can be attributed as skill. Given how players would zig zag around the map and be mobile most of the time, lining up shots would not be easy. And even if you camp and patiently line up your shots, chances are some random player will kill you after camping long enough. The third person camera is quite wide after all.

2 hours ago, (PS4)ATreidezz said:

:smile:

What cheap tactics? Oros are simply a way to say...kill count doesnt makes you a champ straight away. 

I like oros, and my internet is sucks, so i dont get oro a lot (lag city), but i still racks up kills in conclave. By the time a match finished, (and someone else scored 25 oros) i could always BRAG: "You got oros, but im still better than you, cos i got most kills..."

Or when i got most oros and win the match, but not with the most kills: "You got kills but i still win the match skrub..."

Doesn't seem to be valid, I mean you showed counter arguments on both sides. Neither has advantages.

Honestly though, don't you want to be rewarded for the kill? Instead of just pointless kills? 

Honestly I just wish Oro wasn't such a huge component to the rep reward at the end of the match.

I'd be fine with it remaining as a means to "win". But its vexing to do well and not score due to oro lag and people adept at sniping them with movement. 

5 hours ago, KuroShiranui said:

Doesn't seem to be valid, I mean you showed counter arguments on both sides. Neither has advantages.

Honestly though, don't you want to be rewarded for the kill? Instead of just pointless kills? 

First place never matters to me. What matters to me is end result. Less dead count & more kill count are how i determine a person skill. I dont play conclave to win, but to have fun & to feel challenged. Oro keeps me challenged. Winning the first place is just a bonus addition.

^That, and salty people i rekt in ffa.

Edited by (PS4)ATreidezz

Kind of sad that I actually made a post about this a couple months ago and It didn't got as much attention. 

On topic: I hope it gets removed, it's pretty annoying to kill someone who was meleeing another player and see your oro dissapear, feeding the other player. +1

• 1 month later...

So when you 1v2 and you come out as a winner and you have like 3 hp left, and someone turns around the corner and nails you while you still see the respawn effect on him. He will simply collect the 3 Oro... yeah I can see that totally fair and fun mechanics. Or you land the killing shot from like 40m+ and what? Someone just picks it up, thats fair. 
Basically if you dont want to lose oro you need to get close and personal to collect it. Which isnt really a good mechanic because there are a few weapons which have huge disantvage if you are close.

So oro should be removed from DM, not like in TDM because that is a good and working mechanic there.

Yes. It absolutely should be removed. What is the point of having 20 oros but you only got 14 kills? lolol. Everyone in the match saw that you couldn't really kill. It's not like anyone is going "oh wow, 20 oros, but his kills and death are so bad. I'm so impressed." Also oros aren't even a trackable pvp statistic in your profile lolol. There is literally no point in keeping oros. Finally in any versus situations if I smash you for 20kills and I clipped it it won't really matter how many of those little oros you got now will it? lol. Like it literally serves no purpose. It's only there to make players who can't get kills feel better about themselves. Beyond that there isn't a purpose and there isn't even a stat line for them. And that's why no other shooter you play has a format where you are claiming anything other than kills in a FFA or TA/Slayer type game mode.

Edited by (XB1)Lorewalker1022

The object is not to just kill your opponent. It is to kill your opponent and get the oro. This is the equal of Kill Confirm. Just sounds like some just want the kills with whatever easy tactics they have found instead of getting the oro. 

Yes, you have mastered the Daiku shot to the head while they are involved in a melee fight with someone else. Yes, you have all the melee mods and this one guy who is trying to get better has none but you still need that extra chance to be a winner. We get it....you want to win always with minimum effort (kind of the opposite of Deadpool).  

Oro are supposed to be getting us ready for the enemy that will come back just like we do. You want just kill and win....play the PvE side or another game that gives that. You want to have an objective besides just kill? Then This is where it is. Maybe they thought about just giving the kill only side.....but then saw how it is lopsided in other games and thought give a little bit more to it. 

Keep the oro. Make the oro unobtainable by anyone besides the killer for a certain time or give 1 points for grabbing your oro from a kill and half a point if it was not your kill. The way it is now is okay. It might get better with Lunaro