The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Desecrate and shock are the most casted skillz... Wait a minute...

Deruser

Anyone else finds this fishy? I have a feeling that the data could be a mistake. For Hysteria and Exalted Blade, they are toggleable skills. You only need to press the ability button once before going ham with your exalted blade and claws. Even in the end result screen, they are classified as MELEE KILLS.

Whereas for desecrate and shock, they are a one time cast skill. Each time you want to use the ability, you have to press the ability button again.

I have strong suspicion that the data is a mistake. Granted, this was just a quiz, not that big of a deal. But if the developers are using this data to help them gauge ability usage, I really hope they start to use another way.

Edited by Deruser

3 minutes ago, maj.death said:

Well if you cast exalted blade and its on for 5 minutes.. you've still only casted it once, I don't see the point.

That's the problem. When an ability can last the duration of an entire mission with a single cast, versus a one time cast ability. We see exalted blade users everywhere, the skill shold be the most used by now. I find it weird that Shock and Desecrate would take the spot.

10 minutes ago, Deruser said:

That's the problem. When an ability can last the duration of an entire mission with a single cast, versus a one time cast ability. We see exalted blade users everywhere, the skill shold be the most used by now. I find it weird that Shock and Desecrate would take the spot.

Wasn't this about skills cast not time spent under an ability/skill?

What they mean is number of powers cast instead of the total time that a certain power has been used for. I'm sure Frost's snowglobe, in total time active, outweighs the total time spent desecrating, but one button press equals one cast, meaning that there have been far more casts of desecrate and shock than hysteria, unless lots of people out there are frantically toggling the power on and off.

26 minutes ago, maj.death said:

Well if you cast exalted blade and its on for 5 minutes.. you've still only casted it once, I don't see the point.

What point do you not see? Its pretty cut and dry.... Are you saying you do not agree with the point being made? Of you really just do not see what the op is saying?

3 minutes ago, (PS4)WINDMILEYNO said:

What point do you not see? Its pretty cut and dry.... Are you saying you do not agree with the point being made? Of you really just do not see what the op is saying?

I get that he wants to see a more accurate measurement of how much an ability is used, but I'm saying that I have nothing wrong with how it is. The problem is as someone said above, he wants to see how long abilities are used, that is NOT the same as how often an ability is used.

Edited by maj.death

3 hours ago, maj.death said:

I get that he wants to see a more accurate measurement of how much an ability is used, but I'm saying that I have nothing wrong with how it is. The problem is as someone said above, he wants to see how long abilities are used, that is NOT the same as how often an ability is used.

But both are flawed. The latter is the method currently used, where you count how many times an ability had been used. But single cast abilities will inherently be used more than toggle abilities, unless they suck, like embers fireball.

4 hours ago, maj.death said:

I saw your other response down-thread and I don't think you understand the OP's point. The statistic about how often particular skills are cast is a single statistic that is "factually" correct, but like all statistics it can be incredibly misleading. 

In this case he is stating that using the statistic they are using as a metric to determine how often abilities are used is incredibly flawed from a statistical analysis perspective. Explain to me how that is incorrect? 

You cast the ability once, but it doesn't show the entire picture -- the entire picture being that you are constantly draining energy/channeling, and constantly using the active portion of that ability. In essence you are casting Exalted Blade over and over and over and over again throughout the mission, probably way more than Desecrate if you count every swish swish swoosh as a "cast". And the OP makes a good case for why channeled abilities that allow someone to basically drain energy constantly to receive the benefit of casting over and over while in a particular/buffed state, manage to skew the statistics and help paint a false picture. 

Now, the statistic they showed is correct in and of itself, again, that is not the issue. The issue is, that if they are using this to decide which abilities are overused, then it is a VERY flawed metric. It only shows one dimension of the issue and leaves out a lot. 

Edited by Tesseract7777

4 hours ago, Deruser said:

Anyone else finds this fishy? I have a feeling that the data could be a mistake. For Hysteria and Exalted Blade, they are toggleable skills. You only need to press the ability button once before going ham with your exalted blade and claws. Even in the end result screen, they are classified as MELEE KILLS.

They are melee kills, you only 'cast' the ability once, and then use melee button to kill with that ability.  

4 hours ago, Deruser said:

Whereas for desecrate and shock, they are a one time cast skill. Each time you want to use the ability, you have to press the ability button again.

The trivia question was essentially asking for most spammed ability, and these two would definitely be accurate.  A Nekros has to desecrate hundreds of times (as indicated by others above) in a single mission.  Volt players tend to spam shock because its very cheap, can be used on the run and stuns enemies.  

The question wasn't most used ability but most cast ability.  One player can desecrate or shock enough during a single mission to account for 20 players all using different frames using their far less spam-heavy abilities.  So it isn't that these two abilities had the most players using them but the far less amount of players who do use these two frames are casting these abilities far more than any other ability is being cast.

Spamming E (quick melee) whilst under the effects of EB or hysteria isn't the same as spamming 3 or 1.  I honestly cannot think of any ability that gets spammed more in a mission.  And yes that is due to toggled versus single cast, but since that was the question at hand, it makes perfect sense.  I would imagine if EB and hysteria required you to hit 4 for every use then they would be the clear winners.

Don't fret, Excalibur and Valkyr are still the most OP frames we have, the results of a trivia game won't change that.

desecrate I can understand, because many Nekros users build him for farming, and that's fine, but Shock? who even uses that? every Volt I've ever met builds for Speed or overload, and very rarely for Shield. I don't remember ever seeing a Volt spam Shock for the whole game..

guess it must be newer players choosing Volt (like I did) , and people using it in Conclave.

59 minutes ago, (XB1)VTG xSTEVIEx said:

Y'all are looking too deep into it

Hahaha. I really believe this is important. If the devs' data is inaccurate, then it wouldn't be an accurate depiction of the status of the game.

Especially with the reworks coming up, accurate data becomes more important than ever.

I don't see what's the fishyness.

People spam the ever loving heck (myself included) out of Shock, as it's quick, cheap, and just fun to watch people get zapped by (especially Volt Prime, watching the lightning strike down). I know of atleast 3 people besides me in my circle of Warframe friends that'll just Pick Volt on some lower level farming Missions and just spam Shock all day long.

And desecrate.. That doesn't need explaining.

And as others say, the question wasn't longest in use, but rather how many times people use it. Which rules toggles out of the equation, given you only really use them a couple times a round.

Edited by SJunior

2 hours ago, (PS4)robotwars7 said:

desecrate I can understand, because many Nekros users build him for farming, and that's fine, but Shock? who even uses that? every Volt I've ever met builds for Speed or overload, and very rarely for Shield. I don't remember ever seeing a Volt spam Shock for the whole game..

guess it must be newer players choosing Volt (like I did) , and people using it in Conclave.

You have to spam shock for it to deal a decent amount of damage since it deals only 200 damage with a 2 second stun duration, makes sense to me

It was just a "fun fact," its not the only thing DE looks at when gauging ability usage. Look at Mesa's history with Draco: before Greedy Pull was nerf, she would stay in her ultimate indefinitely with casting it at least once per wave. After the nerf and Trinity coming into the squad, Mesa would have to cast her ultimate at least (can't remember precisely) 4-6 times per wave.

Peacemaker may not have high number of usage compare to Desecrate but may be noticeably higher than Exalted Blade. However, it was not the only thing that was looked at that warranted a change to the ability. They also looked at how much Peacemaker was killing, the demand for Mesas in Draco, and listening to the community on how it was cheesing the game and was lazy leveling and it made DE say "yes, Peacemaker needs to be changed."

So no, they are not only using that data. And yes, I agree with (XB1)VTG xSTEVIEx, this is looked at too deeply.

Edited by NekroArts