The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Are they stopping at 30 Warframes?

Vaestus

I doubt we will run out of ideas, let's look over all the war frames we have and their main theme

• Ash: Ninja
  • Atlas: Stone
  • Banshee: Sound
  • Chroma: Dragon
  • Ember: Fire
  • Equinox: Duality
  • Excalibur: Swords
  • Frost: Cold
  • Hydroid: Water
  • Inaros: Mummy
  • Ivara: Hunter
  • Limbo: Dimensions
  • Loki: Deception
  • Mag: Magnetism
  • Mesa: Gunslinger
  • Mirage: Illusions
  • Nekros: Necromancy
  • Nezha: Sacred Fire
  • Nova: Antimatter
  • Nyx: Psychic
  • Oberon: Paladin
  • Rhino: Heavy Armor
  • Saryn: Venom
  • Trinity: Healing
  • Valkyr: Berserker
  • Vauban: Engineer
  • Volt: Electricity
  • Wukong: Monkey King
  • Zephyr: Sky

This isn't even getting into the themes of their alt equipment or their names. Yeah, it's gonna take a while before ideas run out.

With Pax East and them having like over a dozen fan ideas they want to do eventually and all the other ideas the dev team will come up with over time... and how often they are released. I think it's safe to say that they have enough material to last them well over a decade already just in various conceptual stages or fan ideas -- and then over time more ideas will always appear. This means that unless WF ends, I don't think new WF's will ever end. It's not just a big moneymaker for them, it's one of the biggest sources of constant hype for the game. A new WF is, I am sure, a big spike in traffic for them which translates to more money overall whether people spend plat on the frame or not. 

Even if WF keeps going for a loooong time and eventually goes open world with archwing movement or something, new warframes, even then, would still be the biggest thing that would keep people feeling that the game is fresh over and over, and never get tired of it. That and new weapons, but not as much as entirely new classes, which can become someone's new favorite and really reinvigorate the game. I have seen a huge amount of new enthusiasm just because of Ivara and Inaros. The two of them have been extremely well received. 

It's also something unique about Warframe -- even games like WoW have a very small number of classes and expand them on a very slow, limited basis. DE isn't afraid to experiment and give us pretty much every class option imaginable. I think they realize they have struck gold with that -- something really no one has ever done in the same manner. Alternating between male and female, and making almost every type of theme imaginable. It's an idea that has become popular beyond their wildest dreams and they would be crazy to change that business model -- and they know it! 

2 hours ago, Naith said:

Think in the recent PAX convention they said they wanted to introduce quite a few more community inspired Warframes, so that tosses that rumour into the airlock along with the unwanted Kubrow's.

They said there are 10-15 community inspired warframes ideas they want to do so... i dont see them stoping anytime soon

1 hour ago, Hayabusa97 said:

I doubt we will run out of ideas, let's look over all the war frames we have and their main theme

• Ash: Ninja
  • Atlas: Stone
  • Banshee: Sound
  • Chroma: Dragon
  • Ember: Fire
  • Equinox: Duality
  • Excalibur: Swords
  • Frost: Cold
  • Hydroid: Water
  • Inaros: Mummy
  • Ivara: Hunter
  • Limbo: Dimensions
  • Loki: Deception
  • Mag: Magnetism
  • Mesa: Gunslinger
  • Mirage: Illusions
  • Nekros: Necromancy
  • Nezha: Sacred Fire
  • Nova: Antimatter
  • Nyx: Psychic
  • Oberon: Paladin
  • Rhino: Heavy Armor
  • Saryn: Venom
  • Trinity: Healing
  • Valkyr: Berserker
  • Vauban: Engineer
  • Volt: Electricity
  • Wukong: Monkey King
  • Zephyr: Sky

This isn't even getting into the themes of their alt equipment or their names. Yeah, it's gonna take a while before ideas run out.

Actually, one correction. Mirage isn't illusions. She's a light based frame. Practically every power (except that lame booby trap one) are dealing with light. her hall of mirrors is her refracting light to create 'clones', prism is a prism that focuses light into deadly lasers, eclipse is a buff granted to her dependent on the levels of light (or a lack thereof)

A loooooonnnnnnngggggggg time ago, in like devstream 7 or 8, Scott was asked if they would ever stop making frames, and if so when. To which he said something to the effect of "I think 30 sounds good."

That was back when the game, the audience, and the ambition of the devs was a fraction of what it is now. That statement was made under the assumption of the very likely scenario that Warframe was not going to last terribly long at the time. It's safe to say now I think everyone's perception of Warframe's future and stability at a title has changed, and so long as they can keep the lights on, they're going to continue pumping out frames.

All I want is a warframe that can make toast! stupid rumor aside, warframe still needs warframes. It's In the name. Thou I know a few certin tennos who had some great ideals for warframes. Yes that parasite frame as well which was metion 2-3 times by de.

Highly doubt it OP.

Especially with this comment they made at a devstream PAX:

"There are around 10-15 Community designed Warframes that the devs would like to add to the game someday" 

I honestly don't see end to it anytime soon. :orokin: 

Edited by Fionntan
Ninja'd top kek .-. on cross out part

I should think part of the whole point of the design of Warframe was that they can keep making frames indefinitely.  It's a neat trick, a great concept for an f2p game.

Although of course having so many "classes" makes balance difficult, but I should think they're probably working a system up to deal with that, which is why we're seeing the "reworks" (IOW, the abilities are probably going to become a bit more generic - not in terms of theme and fx, but in terms of interchangeable playstyle - going forward, which in one way is a bad thing, but understandable in context).

While I don't think they will stop making warframes anytime soon, I would like for them to maybe take a break for long enough to get the augment mods caught up.  That way maybe they can start releasing a frames augment mods alongside it.  And then at some point maybe take a break long enough to go back and make some of the less useful augments worth using.