Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What Type of Role Should Oberon be with a Rework?

(PSN)StarDustKillah

I'm curious as to what community members think of the guy.

I've heard that a lot of players wouldn't like him being a Melee Frame.

Which I beg the question why?

His current kit points at him being a multi talented melee frame.

If you where to play Oberon optimally using his entire kit, you'd be using a hell of a lot of melee.

1.) Hallowed Carpet's buffs are only active while standing on it.

While using a semi balanced range build, you'll mainly be doing melee combat.

2.) The way Renewal works in terms of healing, seems to be good at someone planning on continuing to take damage.

I say that because of the slow & yet reliable rate. But stops healing once completely healed (Which I hope ceases to be a thing)

3.) His One grants a hard knock down giving a free Grounded Melee Finisher. This is HUGE damage if you built your loadout from this.

4.) Same thing with his Ultimate. Knock downs, Stuns & *supposedly*Blinds(Even though I'VE NEVER seen this blind a single person) everywhere. Finisher, finisher, finisher opportunities everywhere. Along with Radiation procs are also extremely good on getting in on mobs with melee. Also b/c not every one is aiming at the majestic deer.

5.) Also his augments compliment this play style. His Hallowed Reckoning, add spots of HG on that add 250 armor. This encourages Oberon to stand his ground & most likely use melee.

Regardless. I'm curious.

Edited by (PS4)StarDustKillah

Now that you mention it, Oberon does have the potential to be a very unique and powerful melee frame. He would definitely be the most supportive melee frame, and I think the best way to go about making him a good melee frame would be to greatly enhance his "defender of the weak" theme, solve some of his identity crisis, and give him a reliable blind. Maybe give Reckoning a more reliable blind instead of mass rad proc/health orbs, make Hallowed Ground conical and make it give an additive armor bonus, and give Renewal something a little extra. 

Then he'd be a very strong melee frame and a very good Warframe in general. He could defend his entire team with Hallowed Ground, redirect aggro with Smite, heal everyone with Renewal, and blind his enemies with Reckoning. Every ability would have a purpose, and melee would feel well incentivized on him without shoehorning him into it. 

The main thing is slow animations that have him stop moving. Followed by slow travel time on Rejuvenation orbs.

So, if Oberon could at least be able cast on the move and have faster orbs, he would be far better off as a melee frame.

Oberon should always be Area Control as his abilities are generally effective around himself.

Hallowed Ground could follow Oberon on cast, and it cripples enemies if they stay in it for too long. 

The way I feel Oberon's heal should work is that it heals half immediately, and half over the remaining duration, giving a movement speed boost while the heal is ticking off.
(eg. The Heal is 1000 HP strong, it heals 500 first immediately, then heals 500 over the next few seconds, modding for low duration will just heal a full 1000 at once, but lose out on the movement speed boost over the next few seconds) 

The role that best comes to mind is Guardian, Defender, Protector, encompassing both paladin and druid by which the community has described him.

Oberon's deluxe skin collection includes the Ack & Brunt, which recently received a new mod in Operation Rathuum for team defense. If there is to be a weapon class that most suits Oberon, it would be the Sword & Shield-- a balance of offense and defense. And I would not be surprised if Oberon was given some sort of Blocking bonus as his passive.

By comparison, Trinity is much less a defender than an equalizer -- she is only as powerful as the number of enemies or the incoming damage received. Oberon's kit appears to embody a combination of damage reduction, control, and restoration; with a healer function that is preventative.

Smite is still very much a great ability for its energy cost. Sure, the Puncture proc may seem out of place, but in situations where the initial target is fast dispatched or Tenno are generating high threat anyway, the proc is still useful damage reduction.

Meanwhile, Reckoning almost functions as a variation of Smite, and is so jack-of-all-trades that it rather fits Oberon. Perhaps the only improvement is that there is an extra window of time on affected enemies for orb generation (similar to Blazing Chakram) so that it does not solely rely on the ability's damage output.

Hallowed Ground has a stat problem, but most notably its armor bonus -- a percentage gain is less useful than a flat bonus. Otherwise the status immunity is immensely useful when "holding the line" and positions Oberon's role as a guardian and defender. Additional effects on enemies should be considered beyond the current basic DoT: suggestions seen include immobilizing enemies ("roots"), health orb spawn on kill.

Renewal is at a place where World on Fire used to be: it has a limited duration *and* it drains energy over time. In following the idea of a guardian, and noting the path of WoF, Renewal would do well to simply have manual deactivation, with no duration limit on its effects for a tick-based drain. This would further advance the concept of an Oberon that protects and sustains a team.

I've been shouting this around multiple forums now, why not put it in a thread where it actually belongs?

The way I see it:

Oberon = Paladin + Nature/Druid

Paladin's Gameplay Niche = Tank + Heal/Support

Druid/Nature Gameplay niche = Healer (In reality, Druid/Nature is a very broad theme, with a multitude of Roles. But the most prevalent commonality is Healing)

Thus, Logically:

Oberon Gameplay Niche = Heal-Focused Tank

Current Oberon has Quite often been referred to as a Jack-of-all-Trades.

I'd like to see Oberon's Abilities come in line with his themes. Because his 2 themes match each other amazingly well: That which a Druid does for the Forest is the same as that which a Paladin does for their allies. I love this dual theme, and want to see both themes reflected in his kit.

Now, as for Melee focused-Oberon, I could see it working really well; having a unique spin on the support role, while still retaining his "Strike down the enemy" feel. My problem is that I'm not sure how fitting it is with his Druid Theme: nature isn't inherently related to melee combat (or at least, nature-themed characters in videogames).

So all in all, I would like to see him take on a role that fits his 2 themes. Whatever that role may be, if it fits, I sits support it.

Gonna say this rly simple... there is NO male frame that has a decent offensive AOE attack... been waiting for this like forever. I feel like DE is heavily biased when it comes down to AOE+damage and males. There just isnt any frame out there. :(

1 hour ago, Drag0nChaser said:

Gonna say this rly simple... there is NO male frame that has a decent offensive AOE attack... 

Excalibur, Radial Javelin and Exalted Blade. 

Frost, Avalanche. 

Wukong, Primal Fury. 

Oberon, Hallowed Ground (with augment).

Nezha, Divine Spears. 

Ash, Blade Storm.

Need I go on?

Edited by Gurpgork

21 minutes ago, Gurpgork said:

Oberon, Hallowed Ground (with augment)

Filthy casuals using the Hallowed Ground augment should be discouraged. 200% power strength Reckoning master race.

Oberon should continue to stay in the role that he currently is in-- flexible with the ability to go on the offensive, defensive, or adopt a support role. This is usually exactly the role Durids and Paladins can take in most any game. They aren't the best at anything they do but they make up for that lack of strength and focus by being some of the most flexible and adaptable characters.

Looks like I'm still of unpopular opinion here.

Mage/Caster please

Too many melee/supportive frames I would like to see more mage/dps frames personally. 

Edit: also I believe it would make Oberon that much more unique if he was built into a mage/caster. Many of the males center around melee play would be nice to see that changed with Oberon. 

Edited by Cyphrus

16 hours ago, Cyphrus said:

Mage/Caster please

I would actually really like to see what that would entail... Making Oberon a casting DPS frame with a splash of healing on the side... That could make for a very interesting Warframe, and he would be a lot more unique than trying to be a durable/CC/medic frame, which he probably couldn't do as well as Inaros.

Although I think Oberon could do very well in this role, even if the only changes to him were just general scalability stuff that should apply to every flat damage ability in the game. 

Edited by Gurpgork

Oberon is a difficult frame to place. As rightly noted above, he's seemingly somewhere between a Paladin and a Druid in inspiration, which can be pretty broad in what they can do even if they do have some overlaps. Whatever changes to bring him up should try to give some more equal weighting to that.

Which brings us to the other problem. Even if we give equal weighting, that still can go any number of ways. A melee based frontline combatant, a "sticky" defender of others, a mender and healer...certainly not exhaustive. However, I think that if anything, preference should go towards a direction that isn't 'Selfish'; a Paladin and a Druid could go off on their lonesome and do everything, but it doesn't really fit nicely in a group environment. Playing well with one's team and actually being a benefit to them is certainly where I'd put my preference.

Personally, something that can work well to support others without being incapable of holding its own by extension would be a direction I'd like, albeit I will acknowledge I have a seeming tendency to supportive roles so there's some bias there. Standing on one's own feet whilst also keeping allies on theirs...something like that.

On 9-5-2016 at 9:55 PM, Gurpgork said:

Excalibur, Radial Javelin and Exalted Blade. 

Frost, Avalanche. 

Wukong, Primal Fury. 

Oberon, Hallowed Ground (with augment).

Nezha, Divine Spears. 

Ash, Blade Storm.

Need I go on?

Exca: its "directional" E spam

Frost: Team hating and asking for bubble and has damage issues, also the sprint speed is so slow that no matter how good he is or will be, i refuse to play but thats my personal issue.

Wukong: you realize Orthos has nearly the same range as his primal fury?, its just a melee weapon to me.

Oberon: LOL

Nezha: common really?

Ash: have fun on ODD being stuck on one animation attacking one mob for like forever, ill give u this one nevertheless, but common.. you said oberon and nezha :P... thats just desperation demonstrated right here.

Please go on.

Edited by Drag0nChaser

11 minutes ago, Drag0nChaser said:

but common.. you said oberon and nezha :P... thats just desperation demonstrated right here.

Hey, you asked for a male frame with a decent offensive AoE attack. "Decent" is a pretty ambiguous term. 

Plus, Hallowed Eruption actually can be pretty powerful. Since it's based on the total damage that the ability is going to deal in the future, it scales off of both Strength and Duration. Sure, it's not going to map wipe sortie 3-level enemies, but just to reiterate, you did say "decent," and Hallowed Eruption is definitely that. 

Edited by Gurpgork

2 minutes ago, Gurpgork said:

Hey, you asked for a male frame with a decent offensive AoE attack. "Decent" is a pretty ambiguous term. 

Plus, Hallowed Reckoning actually can be pretty powerful. Since it's based on the total damage that the ability is going to deal in the future, it scales off of both Strength and Duration. Sure, it's not going to map wipe sortie 3-level enemies, but just to reiterate, you did say "decent," and Hallowed Reckoning is definitely that. 

Im just waiting for something compareable to Ember/Saryn, this is how Oberon looks when teaming with ember after a mission, burned to death :P.

2m6l2yv.jpg

Edited by Drag0nChaser

On 5/9/2016 at 9:11 AM, Gurpgork said:

Now that you mention it, Oberon does have the potential to be a very unique and powerful melee frame. He would definitely be the most supportive melee frame, and I think the best way to go about making him a good melee frame would be to greatly enhance his "defender of the weak" theme, solve some of his identity crisis, and give him a reliable blind. Maybe give Reckoning a more reliable blind instead of mass rad proc/health orbs, make Hallowed Ground conical and make it give an additive armor bonus, and give Renewal something a little extra. 

Then he'd be a very strong melee frame and a very good Warframe in general. He could defend his entire team with Hallowed Ground, redirect aggro with Smite, heal everyone with Renewal, and blind his enemies with Reckoning. Every ability would have a purpose, and melee would feel well incentivized on him without shoehorning him into it. 

I really hope they remove renewal stopping once health is recovered.

If DE doesn't want to do that. Remove the duration timer all together, have it heal the amount of health until the player is healed.

On 5/9/2016 at 1:12 PM, chainchompguy3 said:

I've been shouting this around multiple forums now, why not put it in a thread where it actually belongs?

The way I see it:

Oberon = Paladin + Nature/Druid

Paladin's Gameplay Niche = Tank + Heal/Support

Druid/Nature Gameplay niche = Healer (In reality, Druid/Nature is a very broad theme, with a multitude of Roles. But the most prevalent commonality is Healing)

Thus, Logically:

Oberon Gameplay Niche = Heal-Focused Tank

Current Oberon has Quite often been referred to as a Jack-of-all-Trades.

I'd like to see Oberon's Abilities come in line with his themes. Because his 2 themes match each other amazingly well: That which a Druid does for the Forest is the same as that which a Paladin does for their allies. I love this dual theme, and want to see both themes reflected in his kit.

Now, as for Melee focused-Oberon, I could see it working really well; having a unique spin on the support role, while still retaining his "Strike down the enemy" feel. My problem is that I'm not sure how fitting it is with his Druid Theme: nature isn't inherently related to melee combat (or at least, nature-themed characters in videogames).

So all in all, I would like to see him take on a role that fits his 2 themes. Whatever that role may be, if it fits, I sits support it.

I think I find myself on the same wave length as you when it comes to viewing Oberon.

That being said, I'm curious on what you think of my rework? The responses there prompted me to make this thread, so yeah.

On 5/10/2016 at 9:56 PM, Cyphrus said:

Mage/Caster please

Too many melee/supportive frames I would like to see more mage/dps frames personally. 

Edit: also I believe it would make Oberon that much more unique if he was built into a mage/caster. Many of the males center around melee play would be nice to see that changed with Oberon. 

I wanted volt to be that. But that ship has sailed, he is what he is... I'm not positive what that is tbh

On 5/10/2016 at 4:00 PM, Blakrana said:

Oberon is a difficult frame to place. As rightly noted above, he's seemingly somewhere between a Paladin and a Druid in inspiration, which can be pretty broad in what they can do even if they do have some overlaps. Whatever changes to bring him up should try to give some more equal weighting to that.

I didn't mean try to identify where he currently is. I mean where would YOU want him if it where up to you.

Also a Paladin Theme able to go off solo & can hold it's own. When done right, can fit well in any team, most of his abilities are fine, they just seem a tad out of date.

I think Oberon's 1 + 3 should be fused into a singular ability & become his new One Ability. His Hallowed Ground needs a massive buff & Reckoning should just become his 3, the blind effect needs to be better (I mean actually existence.) I think he should get a new ultimate, something unique for him & with high DPS.

Here's a link if you want to read it.

Edit: I didn't mean try to identify where he currently is. I mean where would YOU want him if it where up to you. I had a brain fart.

Edited by (PS4)StarDustKillah

24 minutes ago, (PS4)StarDustKillah said:

I didn't mean try to identify where he currently is. I mean where would YOU want him if it where up to you.

Pardon?

On 10/05/2016 at 9:00 PM, Blakrana said:

Personally, something that can work well to support others without being incapable of holding its own by extension would be a direction I'd like, albeit I will acknowledge I have a seeming tendency to supportive roles so there's some bias there. Standing on one's own feet whilst also keeping allies on theirs...something like that.

I did state.