Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Alternative to Gunplay

FitzSimmons

Question

been wondering, what does alternative to gunplay means for volt? just read the latest developer workshop, "Time to truly make Volt 'an alternative to gunplay' – Warframe Description, 2012."

but I don't see much differences between the old and the new volt. is it about shield pick up?

18 answers to this question

To be clear, that blurb about being an alternative to gunplay is referring to his description in the shop and codex. He's one of our oldest frames and AFAIK was always intended to be a frame that could choose to use powers more than guns, but that's never really been true since his 1 falls off so quickly. The major change in that regard was the ability to combo Shock with his Shield and Overload abilities for more damage and effects.

Edited by VKhaun

Yeah, it's a silly descriptor. Especially when, in reality, most of volt's abilities involve augmenting gunplay/swordplay.

Volt's flavor text should read that his "powers provide a potent augment to gunplay."

Edited by Gelkor

What it means is DE still needs to realize the thing that needs changing is that one poorly chosen line of flavor text rather than an entire frame's functions and mechanics. Sure overloaded needed touch ups. Volt didn't need any changes other than a sped up overload with a guaranteed longer stun. Are his changes POWERFUL? Yes. I'm afraid they're going to be OP and then he'll end up becoming the next frame the farmer scrubs abuse and get nerfed into the ground when he never did anything to deserve that fate and DE guaranteed it by catering to the people who don't like doing more than pressing 1 button. Not saying that's what volt is going to become with this rework- just that he's a LOT closer to it, mostly all because of one line of text that very poorly described him. He had a role. he was a situation and tactic frame. Now he's not. He's a hard lock down CC and charge in guns blazing with a riot shield frame.

I won't be able to say until I try him whether I am upset with the changes or not, but I am at least a bit salty about the fact that his entire role has been changed pretty much because of ridiculous complaints about flavor text. It just makes no sense to me. If volt doesn't end up OP (It REALLY depends on how long that lockdown from his new ult is, how high the energy drain on shield carry is, and how much damage shock-on-tesla'd-enemies' aoe burst does. Basically just balancing stuff. IF all that is balanced well I'm sure I'll still love volt as much as ever if not more. ESPECIALLY if they finally fix his electric shield which even until now after ALL these months and TWO attempted fixes still does not remove the falloff from shotgun type weapons like it used to and is still meant to.

it's a weird description really; pretty much any frame has an alternative to run-and gun, especially melee frames like Wukong and Excalibur for obvious reasons. I believe that Volt was expected to be played with an emphasis on his powers, but the truth is that electric damage by itself is so-so at best: it'll work against shields, but it does a poor job against armour, as anyone who has ever tried to use a Prova against a Bombard will tell you. the Stun is a decent benefit, but that's really all it has going for it unless you combine it for Magnetic, Corrosive or Radiation, which are arguably the strongest damage types in the game.

one way to play an effective Volt without using guns is to go for a Speed build (strength and Duration) and use Melee. I'm really looking forward to that Riot Shield addition though. after all those damn shield Lancers, it's payback time.

45 minutes ago, FitzSimmons said:

doesn't that makes everybody alternative to gunplay as well?

thats what ive always thought to myself. But, if you remember back in the day before damage 2.0 volt wasnt the best but he at least did solid damage regardless of the enemy you were fighting. Since then volt just hit the bottom of the trash barrel. I dont see how this rework will be any different. Volts basically been a glorified aoe stun caster. and thats about it.

1 hour ago, Stratego89 said:

What it means is DE still needs to realize the thing that needs changing is that one poorly chosen line of flavor text rather than an entire frame's functions and mechanics. Sure overloaded needed touch ups. Volt didn't need any changes other than a sped up overload with a guaranteed longer stun. Are his changes POWERFUL? Yes. I'm afraid they're going to be OP and then he'll end up becoming the next frame the farmer scrubs abuse and get nerfed into the ground when he never did anything to deserve that fate and DE guaranteed it by catering to the people who don't like doing more than pressing 1 button. Not saying that's what volt is going to become with this rework- just that he's a LOT closer to it, mostly all because of one line of text that very poorly described him. He had a role. he was a situation and tactic frame. Now he's not. He's a hard lock down CC and charge in guns blazing with a riot shield frame.

I won't be able to say until I try him whether I am upset with the changes or not, but I am at least a bit salty about the fact that his entire role has been changed pretty much because of ridiculous complaints about flavor text. It just makes no sense to me. If volt doesn't end up OP (It REALLY depends on how long that lockdown from his new ult is, how high the energy drain on shield carry is, and how much damage shock-on-tesla'd-enemies' aoe burst does. Basically just balancing stuff. IF all that is balanced well I'm sure I'll still love volt as much as ever if not more. ESPECIALLY if they finally fix his electric shield which even until now after ALL these months and TWO attempted fixes still does not remove the falloff from shotgun type weapons like it used to and is still meant to.

It was never about flavor text. Hes been severely underperforming since damage 2.0 When volt no longer did damage to any of the enemies in the game.

25 minutes ago, Zhoyzu said:

It was never about flavor text. Hes been severely underperforming since damage 2.0 When volt no longer did damage to any of the enemies in the game.

That's a blatant lie. Every single time someone said they wanted him buffed it's because they wanted him to nuke the map since that flavor text makes him sound high damage. This all started after Saryn got nerfed.

Also- he did plenty of damage. It absolutely fried any corpus obviously since they're weak to his damage type but even infested, corrupted, and grineer took a serious beating to decently high levels (I'm talking up to 60... that's not sortie level but it's top of star chart- which is what DE balanced on before sorties came around).

11 minutes ago, Stratego89 said:

That's a blatant lie. Every single time someone said they wanted him buffed it's because they wanted him to nuke the map since that flavor text makes him sound high damage. This all started after Saryn got nerfed.

Also- he did plenty of damage. It absolutely fried any corpus obviously since they're weak to his damage type but even infested, corrupted, and grineer took a serious beating to decently high levels (I'm talking up to 60... that's not sortie level but it's top of star chart- which is what DE balanced on before sorties came around).

yes and then damage 2.0 rolled around and hes not performing.

3 minutes ago, Zhoyzu said:

yes and then damage 2.0 rolled around and hes not performing.

Haha- no. I'm talking about LONG after 2.0 came around. Damage 2.0 didn't ruin him m8- at least not to some sort of unplayable point like you make him out to be. He's not about his damage from skills- he's about what his skills do to his damage. That's my whole point. TO change a PERFECTLY viable frame whose description is misleading instead of the description is absolutely ridiculous.

EDIT: He's always been a compliment to gunplay- not an alternative. That's what his description should have said. His speed boosts melee attack. His shield buffs beam range, USED TO* make projectiles hitscan, (currently broken... still) removes falloff from shotgun weapons, and boosts crit damage and adds electric damage that fuses with elements that can stack as many times as you can his shields. His shock and overload make enemies a sitting duck- shock doesn't interrupt reload. Speed lets you close distance quickly with melee or shotguns- or get away to use a sniper. He was a great COMPLIMENT to gunplay. Now people will probably get skill-less and charge around with his shield carry all the time or lock down enemies so they can casually sit there popping them with a tonkor by ulting them.

Edited by Stratego89