Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Volt Rework Feedback [Post Update 18.13]

Satinpuppies

9 minutes ago, RealPandemonium said:

What changed, modding-wise?

His speed, I needed to balance strength and duration. If I don't build for this exactly, he almost runs at no difference in running speed. At least for me. Maybe it's just me that feels like I'm somehow going slower than his old self did. - I also try to incorporate speed type mods to specifically make this a speedster set up.

His Shield + Discharge; I wanted to focus on duration, range, and efficiency. But no strength, which makes his first ability weaker but at least enemies are stunned for longer, and his ult has a damage cap anyway now. Plus his Riot shield actually doesn't run out fast at all when I pick it up. Or else if it isn't built for this it drains in seconds. - The good side with added range is that his Ult reaches pretty far.

And his first ability with shock augment helps with more strength and efficiency, allowing allies to deal more damage. Strength would also work on speed but with normal duration this is more of a ''fight not flight'' build. 

Edited by zaxiade
Added couple notes.

Ya know what?  When I want a tactical warframe, I snag a Frost.  I get SURVIVABILITY along with tactical use.  I was just running some missions with a friend, and that occured to me.

I'm not convinced that focusing away from damage is a great plan.  If you think about it, the largest issue Volt faces in the damage arena is the fact that Electricity is a lot like Magnetic: not AWFUL, but not valuable enough for general use.  Even the chance of a chaining stun effect isn't a tremendous draw compared to effects like Radiation or Corrosive.  Even Fire is more useful as it brings a panic/stun, a DoT, and is particularly effective against a majority of targets in the game.

I don't know that the direction Volt is headed in is a bad one.  I'm just concerned that this is further diluting his focus.  For that matter, what SHOULD Volt be focused on in the first place?

Sidenote:  "support" is as much of a focus as a doctorate in philosophy is.  It's not BAD to have, but what the hell do you do with it?  A 'Frame that's all about OTHER 'Frames shouldn't exist.  That's just not ninja, and it doesn't fit the universe.  Moreover, if you cannot pull your own weight then you have no place in a group.  I'm not talking weapons either, because those are a seperate issue totally.  A Warframe requires the ability to stand on it's own by the strength of it's abilities.

EDIT:  I FKING LOVE TACTICAL PLAY!  I'm NOT against it.  I just wonder if the direction Volt is headed in is actually going to offer tactical options worth the name.  Aside from bulldozer shield, which is made of win and spiced with awsome, although hopefully not also seasoned with more energy drain than you can shake a stick at...

Edited by Cytobel

6 hours ago, Cytobel said:

If many of the rediculous restrictions come off of Riot Shield, and if Speed is made more friendly to the rest of Volt's moveset, and if some love is given to normal Volt's energy pool (and perhaps both Volts' Sprint speed) THEN many of us will be significantly happier.

That won't help with all the problems, but it'd be an enormous part of the problem.

That aside, why limit the number of shields in the first place?  Isn't Riot Shield a likely anti-shield wall measure?  Just an honest question.

Yeppers

4 hours ago, Cytobel said:

Ya know what?  When I want a tactical warframe, I snag a Frost.  I get SURVIVABILITY along with tactical use.  I was just running some missions with a friend, and that occured to me.

I'm not convinced that focusing away from damage is a great plan.  If you think about it, the largest issue Volt faces in the damage arena is the fact that Electricity is a lot like Magnetic: not AWFUL, but not valuable enough for general use.  Even the chance of a chaining stun effect isn't a tremendous draw compared to effects like Radiation or Corrosive.  Even Fire is more useful as it brings a panic/stun, a DoT, and is particularly effective against a majority of targets in the game.

I don't know that the direction Volt is headed in is a bad one.  I'm just concerned that this is further diluting his focus.  For that matter, what SHOULD Volt be focused on in the first place?

Sidenote:  "support" is as much of a focus as a doctorate in philosophy is.  It's not BAD to have, but what the hell do you do with it?  A 'Frame that's all about OTHER 'Frames shouldn't exist.  That's just not ninja, and it doesn't fit the universe.  Moreover, if you cannot pull your own weight then you have no place in a group.  I'm not talking weapons either, because those are a separate issue totally.  A Warframe requires the ability to stand on it's own by the strength of it's abilities.

EDIT:  I FKING LOVE TACTICAL PLAY!  I'm NOT against it.  I just wonder if the direction Volt is headed in is actually going to offer tactical options worth the name.  Aside from bulldozer shield, which is made of win and spiced with awesome, although hopefully not also seasoned with more energy drain than you can shake a stick at...

yep i agree............ and disagree.

volt has never really been solely on dmg. i believe he is a "tactical offensive support". arguably, tacticians do have to consider the strength of allies and use it to their advantage.

having said that:

in terms of modding volt should be designed so that he doesn't suffer too much if you mod for a certain way the rest are all relatively useable. why? because they should have options (a.k.a versatility). even if volt can't do dmg, all of his abilities should (in some cases) fill a 'support/cc' role that provide him with opportune moments that help with the lack of dps but can still quite useful.

Spoiler

from this thread:

"Currently, Volt Looses too much for building one way or the other. He goes Duration? He looses range on Discharge. He goes Range? He looses effectiveness of Speed. He goes duration? He looses crucial utility time on E. Shield, Speed & Discharge. He goes efficiency? He looses a ton of duration which will result in a lost of range cause you tried to patch that up with Narrow Minded, then a ton of damage cause you tried to patch that up with Overextended and so on. He goes damage? Oh brother... He looses a mixture of Duration and Efficiency or at least on of the two. Which both work together to get the most out of his abilities.

It's a Vicious cycle that Volt can't win either way. He not like a loki player that can feel 100% comfortable at going negative damage. He's not like Wukong that can feel 100% comfortable at going negative range."

Moral of the story: a tactician like volt should have multipurposed options that complement one another - modding design is (arguably) the true synergy of a warframe. versatility is the key to volt's future (in my opinion).

Spoiler

also - does anyone think that @[DE]Rebecca has a secret love for volt?

Edited by Aquasurge

9 hours ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

Andddd we've got a gfycat!

https://gfycat.com/FairFarflungAndeancockoftherock

Here is a version of the prototype with the base interaction of enemies being hit by Volt's Riot Shield while Speed is active.
Verdict: Very Satisfying/10.

Problem is electric shield can't be used for a reasonable amount of time like this because of the ridiculous energy per distance mechanic. The ability should only be a toggle or a timer not a mechanic that contradicts the purpose of being mobile to the point where you either stay behind you shield or run into the thick of battle and end up with no energy when you need it. Hell even on Draco my 30% efficiency and 155% duration build struggles to regain that energy without zenurik (for those who don't know zenurik regen works with the riot shield) or a syndicate weapon.

IMO if DE do away with this stupid energy drain, remove the damage cap on Discharge and allow it to be casted in mid air again (that change was so unnecessary), Discharge already makes Volt vulnerable for several seconds so why punish us for playing smart to get around it by casting while we have a bit of momentum in the air? Volt would be perfect.

Edited by iDEBz

17 minutes ago, iDEBz said:

Problem is electric shield can't be used for a reasonable amount of time like this because of the ridiculous energy per distance mechanic. The ability should only be a toggle or a timer not a mechanic that contradicts the purpose of being mobile to the point where you either stay behind you shield or run into the thick of battle and end up with no energy when you need it. Hell even on Draco my 30% efficiency and 155% duration build struggles to regain that energy without zenurik (for those who don't know zenurik regen works with the riot shield) or a syndicate weapon.

IMO if DE do away with this stupid energy drain, remove the damage cap on Discharge and allow it to be casted in mid air again (that change was so unnecessary), Discharge already makes Volt vulnerable for several seconds so why punish us for playing smart to get around it by casting while we have a bit of momentum in the air? Volt would be perfect.

agreed

3 hours ago, Aquasurge said:

yep i agree............ and disagree.

volt has never really been solely on dmg. i believe he is a "tactical offensive support". arguably, tacticians do have to consider the strength of allies and use it to their advantage.

I can agree to that... however, we still the unlimited power!!! 

WAIT can we keep the hasten coil? make it do something else? I think it looks nice...

Make it a stun gernade that stuns and deals damage to anyone near it! also increase speeds duration

Edited by Wolfnrun

37 minutes ago, Wolfnrun said:

WAIT can we keep the hasten coil? make it do something else? I think it looks nice...

Reveal hidden contents

Make it a stun gernade that stuns and deals damage to anyone near it! also increase speeds duration

or update visuals to look something like this:

latest?cb=20130929205935

to be honest i don't see such a big problem in having multiple builds for different uses. in fact none at all. i go strength/duration for rushing/melee and range/duration for defending/cc-ing. there's hardly a mission that demands both, so yeah, no prob. like i stated earlier to me this is only testament to his well rounded desgin.

(if anything to me strength is actually the most neglectable trait since i prefer gunplay to melee/skill killing, i feel even only intensify is enough for a speed boost in pretty much any mission besides capture/deception (which arguably are hardly "missions" at all at the moment)).

volt is in a good spot and only getting better... let's not get carried away though.

3 hours ago, Kotsender_Quasimir said:

to be honest i don't see such a big problem in having multiple builds for different uses. in fact none at all. i go strength/duration for rushing/melee and range/duration for defending/cc-ing. there's hardly a mission that demands both, so yeah, no prob. like i stated earlier to me this is only testament to his well rounded desgin.

(if anything to me strength is actually the most neglectable trait since i prefer gunplay to melee/skill killing, i feel even only intensify is enough for a speed boost in pretty much any mission besides capture/deception (which arguably are hardly "missions" at all at the moment)).

volt is in a good spot and only getting better... let's not get carried away though.

i barely have build on volt, he is overbalance that makes me feel uncomfortable losing any percent of his power stat to be under 130% lol

4 hours ago, FitzSimmons said:

i barely have build on volt, he is overbalance that makes me feel uncomfortable losing any percent of his power stat to be under 130% lol

Its a shame that with Volt you either build to make one of abilities shine while others pale in comparison, or they are all equally dull.

Did the [DE]velopers make any statement on what they wanted for Volt with this rework? As it is now i can't make head or tails of it as building for one power aspect gimps multiple powers at the same time and trying to balance results in mediocre performance of all powers...