Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

This MR 11 noob needs some advice

jv12468

Question

So I'm new to these forums, but not the game. I'm not here to brag, I'm going to explain my situation.

I'm halfway to MR 12.
I have 338 hours total gameplay time.
I now have all the planets unlocked.
I can't seem to make as much progress as I used to.

I've been trying to get Frost for the longest time (because you know, Frost.), but I never could get past any difficult planets (Sedna, Phobos    (yes I know, that's not good)).
I realized I had awful weapons. Intentionally, but nevertheless, I got better weapons. I now have all the planets unlocked. But with these weapons, I can't make almost any progress on these planets.

Now I've got no shortage of mods, but I have almost never gotten any catalysts or reactors from any games (mostly because I've been too timid to play any void missions and fail, to end up losing a key).
I'd love to play with my clan, however it consists of people who on average haven't been online to play in multiple months, and they haven't ever contributed with research. So I do it all myself. The owner of the clan upgraded the clan to a Shadow clan, which triples the cost of research. Even though he destroyed the Shadow barracks, the research amount hasn't changed.

FAQ's that I'm expecting:

MR 11??1!? What did u do to get there then??
I leveled up s*** weapons, and intentionally. I thought affinity gives higher MR, so why not level up bad weapons to get them out of the way? I understand now that I've made a big mistake.

y dont u just get ur friends online???
They either can't or don't want to, so I can't force them to play.

just buy some potatoes with your starter platinum. DUH.
Hoo, my starter platinum is long gone, so that's not an option anymore.

If you have ANY questions for me, please ask. I need help from people, so if you need clarification, then please ask whatever you need.

Thank you all so much for any help

quite a few weapons in the clan labs that will take you far and some of the weapons may need a few formas to be in the comfort zone damage wise. don't be afraid to fail a mission it only teaches what not to do the next time around and keys are plentiful.

the only 2 sh!t weapons are the miter and sicarus/prime everything else is kinda viable even the seer and cronus.

9 minutes ago, ranks21 said:

quite a few weapons in the clan labs that will take you far and some of the weapons may need a few formas to be in the comfort zone damage wise. don't be afraid to fail a mission it only teaches what not to do the next time around and keys are plentiful.

the only 2 sh!t weapons are the miter and sicarus/prime everything else is kinda viable even the seer and cronus.

I will be sure to do more void missions.

That's good to know, I'll take a gander back at my older weapons. Thanks a bunch!

9 minutes ago, (PS4)LeBlingKing69 said:

If you lose a Void mission, you don't lose the key. 

Just join a clan that claims that they are online and have lots of research already done

Try and find some good mod builds for good weapons, and scan enemies to get to know their weaknesses.

Hope this helps.

I did not know that, thank you for telling me.
I'd love to switch, but I have almost all of the research done. People online would be nice though.

I've been looking for mod builds, hopefully some can help me out. Thanks!

If you want a good weapon that will keep you going as the enemies start to get pretty tough I would say get the tonkor and my personnal favourite the sancti tigris, granted some of the mods needed to max the potential of these weapons may be quite hard to get your hands on they will kick very hard even with some well leveled easy to get mods.

Also if you are trying to get your hands on frost....  recruiting tab.  Either H Frost farm or LF Frost farm, normally will at least get a nibble from someone who also needs parts or someone like me who has farmed it multiple times for the pure fact that I was bored and someone posted in recruiting.  Same goes for any void missions, don't be afraid to recruit some Randy's to help you run your keys or to group up with Randy's who are hosting some void missions.  Most of the time I will participate in random void missions to pass the time and a good chunk of the community will normally help with pointers.

Granted sometimes Trade chat can be "Special" most of the time recruiting is pretty simple and straight forward and this is generally the best way to get prime parts that you can then sell for plat so that you can buy the odd potato, just be sure to not waste them as if you intend to potato every weapon and frame it is going to get very expensive very quickly.

Also some void missions will result in you losing the key if you do fail the mission, these are only the missions that have multiple drops at different times / waves.  If you fail after the first chance that you have to extract you will lose the key, eg. In a void defense mission the pod is destroyed on wave 8 after you had a chance to extract at wave 5

Feel free to add me if you want someone to run with every now and then, will be online in around 1.5 hours

Edited by Robj414

stop grinding in draco and start exploring the game :

do vault runs

build and use formas ( atleast its something if you got no potatoes )

do some research on mods and build ( get what you need )

acquire decent weapons ( soma / tonkor / tigris / sobek / telos boltor )

acquire decent frames what are good at surviving or dealing damage ( excal / valkyr / inaros / ivara / loki / trinity / chroma )

gid gud ( learn to parkuor / move fast around enemys , avoid taking direct hits )

acquire guardian / sanctuary / medi ray for your sentinel

max your mods 

Life strike ( tennos best friend )

Edited by bad4youLT

22 minutes ago, Robj414 said:

If you want a good weapon that will keep you going as the enemies start to get pretty tough I would say get the tonkor and my personnal favourite the sancti tigris, granted some of the mods needed to max the potential of these weapons may be quite hard to get your hands on they will kick very hard even with some well leveled easy to get mods.

Also if you are trying to get your hands on frost....  recruiting tab.  Either H Frost farm or LF Frost farm, normally will at least get a nibble from someone who also needs parts or someone like me who has farmed it multiple times for the pure fact that I was bored and someone posted in recruiting.  Same goes for any void missions, don't be afraid to recruit some Randy's to help you run your keys or to group up with Randy's who are hosting some void missions.  Most of the time I will participate in random void missions to pass the time and a good chunk of the community will normally help with pointers.

Granted sometimes Trade chat can be "Special" most of the time recruiting is pretty simple and straight forward and this is generally the best way to get prime parts that you can then sell for plat so that you can buy the odd potato, just be sure to not waste them as if you intend to potato every weapon and frame it is going to get very expensive very quickly.

Also some void missions will result in you losing the key if you do fail the mission, these are only the missions that have multiple drops at different times / waves.  If you fail after the first chance that you have to extract you will lose the key, eg. In a void defense mission the pod is destroyed on wave 8 after you had a chance to extract at wave 5

Feel free to add me if you want someone to run with every now and then, will be online in around 1.5 hours

Thanks a lot, I won't specify what's helped, because I'm just going to leave the quote there!

18 minutes ago, bad4youLT said:

stop grinding in draco and start exploring the game :

do vault runs

build and use formas ( atleast its something if you got no potatoes )

do some research on mods and build ( get what you need )

acquire decent weapons ( soma / tonkor / tigris / sobek / telos boltor )

acquire decent frames what are good at surviving or dealing damage ( excal / valkyr / inaros / ivara / loki / trinity / chroma )

gid gud ( learn to parkuor / move fast around enemys , avoid taking direct hits )

acquire guardian / sanctuary / medi ray for your sentinel

max your mods 

Life strike ( tennos best friend )

Will do more
I build them as I get them
Doing almost all research at the moment
Working on that
Working on that too
Oh I know. I do.
Got Sanctuary, use it too.
That, I'm working on...
Haven't stumbled across it yet

Thank for the stuff!

You mentioned that you lack potatoes (catalysts and reactors) These are not attainable from the void. They are mostly gained through purchase, alerts or invasions. Sorties can also give out potato blueprints but it's rare and most likely beyond your weapons. 

Keep an eye on alerts and invasions for potatoes and remember that every devstream (normally every 2 weeks) there is a 24 hour gift of the lotus alert that is commonly a reactor or catalyst.

If you want to get Frost just do it solo, you only have to kill the boss so just rush the mission to the objective. Got a Rhino? Mod for power strength and some efficiency and use iron skin to tank Lt. Kril's shots until he changes to his melee slam so you can damage him. Just recast iron skin whenever it gets broken, you'll have Frost building in a half hour.

Edited by Zilchy

18 minutes ago, Drasiel said:

You mentioned that you lack potatoes (catalysts and reactors) These are not attainable from the void. They are mostly gained through purchase, alerts or invasions. Sorties can also give out potato blueprints but it's rare and most likely beyond your weapons. 

Keep an eye on alerts and invasions for potatoes and remember that every devstream (normally every 2 weeks) there is a 24 hour gift of the lotus alert that is commonly a reactor or catalyst.

This is great to know, now I won't be waiting for blueprints to come flying.
I'm always on alert watch, thanks a bunch!

11 minutes ago, Zilchy said:

If you want to get Frost just do it solo, you only have to kill the boss so just rush the mission to the objective. Got a Rhino? Mod for power strength and some efficiency and use iron skin to tank Lt. Kril's shots until he changes to his melee slam so you can damage him. Just recast iron skin whenever it gets broken, you'll have Frost building in a half hour.

That was the plan. Thanks for the tip!

Most of the catalysts and reactors I used I bought with plat. The plat I got by trading. If you want to get a rought idea about how much items are worth you should check out warframe.market.

When it comes to builds there are a lot of youtube videos that you can check out. You don't have to copy them exactly. Just get a rough idea of what is important for a frame/weapon and then fill in the optional stuff with whatever fits your playstyle.

You might also want to get familiar with how damage works, so you know when to use which elements and their combinations. You can check out the wiki to see how the damage types do against the different enemy types. For most loadouts I have corrosive on my primary and melee weapon and radiation on the secondary. This is a good setup for most situation and when I go against high level corpus I can swap things around.

If you fail a void mission or abort it you don't lose the key. In endless missions you have to leave before the first reward.

Just now, gluih said:

Most of the catalysts and reactors I used I bought with plat. The plat I got by trading. If you want to get a rought idea about how much items are worth you should check out warframe.market.

When it comes to builds there are a lot of youtube videos that you can check out. You don't have to copy them exactly. Just get a rough idea of what is important for a frame/weapon and then fill in the optional stuff with whatever fits your playstyle.

You might also want to get familiar with how damage works, so you know when to use which elements and their combinations. You can check out the wiki to see how the damage types do against the different enemy types. For most loadouts I have corrosive on my primary and melee weapon and radiation on the secondary. This is a good setup for most situation and when I go against high level corpus I can swap things around.

If you fail a void mission or abort it you don't lose the key. In endless missions you have to leave before the first reward.

I bought a lot of platinum before, but I don't really remember where it's gone to.
I got the damage handled, and I was informed about the keys, thanks though!

1 hour ago, jv12468 said:

That was the plan. Thanks for the tip!

Assuming you know how to defeat Kril ie shoot tubes in his back, wait for melee slam to freeze him, shoot tubes again, repeat till he goes on fire and kill him... You should know that there is a sweet spot range to stand at that triggers his melee slam. Stand too close and he will simply melee swing sideways which is useless, too far away and he will just shoot his Gorgon at you. The actual range is hard to describe but essentially it's far enough that you will wonder why he bothered as the slam misses you by about 3 feet. Since iron skin is being constantly whittled away, learning this trick will help you defeat him far quicker.

Catalysts and Reactors are fairly easy to get but you do need some patience.  At least, you don't even need to buy them with real money.  After every devstream, there'll be a long alert called Gift of the Lotus that rewards you either a Catalyst or Reactor blueprint or once in a while built Exilius Adapter.  Catalysts and Reactors also show up in alerts and as invasion reward once in a while so you should use some sort of alert tracker (like the official WF app, for example) so you won't miss these rewards.  Having potatoes will be a huge QoL improvement.  

If you're not confident doing Void mission and want to solo, I recommend you first start with T1 and T2 and do non-endless missions like Capture, Exterminate, and Sabotage.  For endless mission just hop on to recruit chat and look for squad mates.  There will always people who want to do Void so you shouldn't have problems getting some warm bodies for the team.

It's good you have a bunch of mods, but have you been leveling them?  Do you have the undamaged version of essential mods?  You don't need to fully level all of them because it's a long term, expensive goal, but you should get a few levels in them so you can kill things faster and survival longer.  It seems like a lot of newer players hit the wall around Phobos so don't feel too frustrated.  The enemies on Phobos do a lot of slash damage so I would recommend using Vitality on your frame and use your crowd control abilities more if you can't kill the enemies fast enough.

I think it might be better if you leave your current clan and find a more active clan.  What's the point of being in a clan when people aren't active or willing to help?  Heck, even having your own one person clan seems better than being in an inactive clan especially if you're the only one who's contributing resources for the dojo. 

What frames and weapons do you have so far?  Maybe people here can recommend some builds for you. Some of the weapons you can use at low MR are actually end game viable or they can at least get you through most of the star chart.

I don't know what region you're in, but I'd be happy to help you out with missions and whatever.  

5 hours ago, ranks21 said:

I disagree with you about the Sicarus Prime, it's a Corpus Killer to me (due to the impact damage.)

Of course it's not for high leveled Grineers and Infested, because it's an impact pistol.

I modded it perfectly and i've killed a total of 100,000-500,000 Corpus from a survival mission in Pluto.

23 hours ago, xiaodenden said:

Catalysts and Reactors are fairly easy to get but you do need some patience.  At least, you don't even need to buy them with real money.  After every devstream, there'll be a long alert called Gift of the Lotus that rewards you either a Catalyst or Reactor blueprint or once in a while built Exilius Adapter.  Catalysts and Reactors also show up in alerts and as invasion reward once in a while so you should use some sort of alert tracker (like the official WF app, for example) so you won't miss these rewards.  Having potatoes will be a huge QoL improvement.  

If you're not confident doing Void mission and want to solo, I recommend you first start with T1 and T2 and do non-endless missions like Capture, Exterminate, and Sabotage.  For endless mission just hop on to recruit chat and look for squad mates.  There will always people who want to do Void so you shouldn't have problems getting some warm bodies for the team.

It's good you have a bunch of mods, but have you been leveling them?  Do you have the undamaged version of essential mods?  You don't need to fully level all of them because it's a long term, expensive goal, but you should get a few levels in them so you can kill things faster and survival longer.  It seems like a lot of newer players hit the wall around Phobos so don't feel too frustrated.  The enemies on Phobos do a lot of slash damage so I would recommend using Vitality on your frame and use your crowd control abilities more if you can't kill the enemies fast enough.

I think it might be better if you leave your current clan and find a more active clan.  What's the point of being in a clan when people aren't active or willing to help?  Heck, even having your own one person clan seems better than being in an inactive clan especially if you're the only one who's contributing resources for the dojo. 

What frames and weapons do you have so far?  Maybe people here can recommend some builds for you. Some of the weapons you can use at low MR are actually end game viable or they can at least get you through most of the star chart.

I don't know what region you're in, but I'd be happy to help you out with missions and whatever.  

I don't think I've missed any Gift of the Lotus events, and I've used them all of course. I'll probably just buy a bunch of platinum and spend that on them. I also have all alerts going to my phone, so that's covered.

I have been doing precisely that, I just need to get into the recruiting thing.

I have been leveling all the ones I can. Except Serration and Hornet Strike, which is probably my killer. Both are only at rank 4 X_X
I have long gotten rid of any leftover damaged mods of course, except for Equilibrium, because I haven't EVER come across a non-damaged one yet.

I'd love to leave as I mentioned, but literally almost everything is done, except for the Mutagen Sample stuff. 

Max frames:
Banshee
Ember
Excalibur
Hydroid
Mag
Nyx
Oberon
Rhino
Saryn
Trinity
Valkyr

24 Zephyr
Unranked Nova (JUST finished building)

Primaries (all max rank):
Boltor
Braton
Burston
Cernos
Daikyu
Dex Sybaris
Drakgoon
Grakata
Grinlok
Hek
Ignis
Latron
MK1-Braton
MK1-Paris
MK1-Strun
Paris
Rubico
Soma
Strun
Vectis
Vulkar

Secondaries:
Maxed:
Akmagnus
Azima
Ballistica
Bronco
Dex Furis
Furis
Hikou
Kunai
Lato
Lex
Magnus
MK1-Furis
MK1-Kunai
Seer
Sicarus
Spira
Viper

Unranked Aklato
8 Kraken
21 Akstiletto

Melee:
Max:
Anku
Atterax
Broken-War
Cronus
Destreza
Dex Dakra
Ether Daggers
Ether Reaper
Fragor
Furax Wraith
Glaive
Jat Kittag
Kama
Karyst
Machete
MK1-Furax
Obex
Orthos
Silva & Aegis
Skana

Unranked:
Bo (I don't have any stances)
Heat Dagger
Heat Sword
MK1-Bo (see Bo)

North American. -4 AST

37 minutes ago, jv12468 said:

I don't think I've missed any Gift of the Lotus events, and I've used them all of course. I'll probably just buy a bunch of platinum and spend that on them. I also have all alerts going to my phone, so that's covered.

I have been doing precisely that, I just need to get into the recruiting thing.

I have been leveling all the ones I can. Except Serration and Hornet Strike, which is probably my killer. Both are only at rank 4 X_X
I have long gotten rid of any leftover damaged mods of course, except for Equilibrium, because I haven't EVER come across a non-damaged one yet.

I'd love to leave as I mentioned, but literally almost everything is done, except for the Mutagen Sample stuff. 

Max frames:
Banshee
Ember
Excalibur
Hydroid
Mag
Nyx
Oberon
Rhino
Saryn
Trinity
Valkyr

24 Zephyr
Unranked Nova (JUST finished building)

Primaries (all max rank):
Boltor
Braton
Burston
Cernos
Daikyu
Dex Sybaris
Drakgoon
Grakata
Grinlok
Hek
Ignis
Latron
MK1-Braton
MK1-Paris
MK1-Strun
Paris
Rubico
Soma
Strun
Vectis
Vulkar

Secondaries:
Maxed:
Akmagnus
Azima
Ballistica
Bronco
Dex Furis
Furis
Hikou
Kunai
Lato
Lex
Magnus
MK1-Furis
MK1-Kunai
Seer
Sicarus
Spira
Viper

Unranked Aklato
8 Kraken
21 Akstiletto

Melee:
Max:
Anku
Atterax
Broken-War
Cronus
Destreza
Dex Dakra
Ether Daggers
Ether Reaper
Fragor
Furax Wraith
Glaive
Jat Kittag
Kama
Karyst
Machete
MK1-Furax
Obex
Orthos
Silva & Aegis
Skana

Unranked:
Bo (I don't have any stances)
Heat Dagger
Heat Sword
MK1-Bo (see Bo)

North American. -4 AST

Welp, this list sort of explains your current situation. The frames are fine, but the weapons you keep getting are almost all mastery fodder. Try getting some AoE weapons (Tonkor, Ogris, Penta), and if you have a certain weapon/frame you like, try getting the prime version. I got Loki Prime and Paris Prime after I found that their non-prime versions worked well with my playstyle. And since you're halfway to MR12, might aswell get some standing with the syndicates and buy their weapons, like the Vaykor Hek, Synoid Simulor, Telos Akbolto etc. once you rank up.

Also, consider using certain weapons to build others, you can use your Bo and Kunai to make the Tipedo for example, and that can be made into the Lesion.

3 minutes ago, Czygen said:

Welp, this list sort of explains your current situation. The frames are fine, but the weapons you keep getting are almost all mastery fodder. Try getting some AoE weapons (Tonkor, Ogris, Penta), and if you have a certain weapon/frame you like, try getting the prime version. I got Loki Prime and Paris Prime after I found that their non-prime versions worked well with my playstyle. And since you're halfway to MR12, might aswell get some standing with the syndicates and buy their weapons, like the Vaykor Hek, Synoid Simulor, Telos Akbolto etc. once you rank up.

Also, consider using certain weapons to build others, you can use your Bo and Kunai to make the Tipedo for example, and that can be made into the Lesion.

Yeah I don't have a lot of good weapons, I've noticed recently. I'm building the tonkor now, so that should keep me busy.

I am currently at max standing (capped at 44,000 standing) for the Red Veil, and New Loka, because I have 0 platinum and no potatoes of any kind. 
But I am getting there with the Perrin Sequence, I'm almost at max standing for 70,000. So hopefully I can get the Secura Penta. I know I probably should've gone with getting the promotion from New Loka for the Sancti Tigris, but I never thought that coming across potatoes without platinum would be so rare :(

30 minutes ago, jv12468 said:

Yeah I don't have a lot of good weapons, I've noticed recently. I'm building the tonkor now, so that should keep me busy.

I am currently at max standing (capped at 44,000 standing) for the Red Veil, and New Loka, because I have 0 platinum and no potatoes of any kind. 
But I am getting there with the Perrin Sequence, I'm almost at max standing for 70,000. So hopefully I can get the Secura Penta. I know I probably should've gone with getting the promotion from New Loka for the Sancti Tigris, but I never thought that coming across potatoes without platinum would be so rare :(

Well for starters, you can do vault runs to get corrupted mods, and sell them for plat (low prices unranked, high when maxed), aka how I get plat. Personally I would get the Synoid Simulor, but it's yer choice xD

Good to hear that you haven't missed any of the Gift of the Lotus alerts and you have a tracker installed already.  

Well, at least once you hit MR 12, you can own syndicate weapons so something to look forward to.  For now, out of the weapons you've leveled, I think these are the strongest. Dex Sybaris, Hek, Ignis, and Soma.  Of course Soma Prime is an upgrade from Soma, but the regular version served me well through the star chart.  Ignis, Dex Sybaris, and Hek need some formas, but they are sorties viable.  Without forma, they can still get you through the star chart. Get the Steel Meridian syndicate mod Scattered Justice for Hek when you can to bring out its potential.  Since you're supporting PS, RV, and NL, you shouldn't have too much trouble trading syndicate mods for the ones on the other side.  I don't really rely on melee as much, but I find Atterax, Broken-War, Destreza, Jat Kittag, and Obex to be pretty strong and fun.  For secondary, you should check out (Vakyor) Marelok, Atomos, and Sonicor. I'm not mentioning prime stuff because it looks like you're saving the good stuff for later, which is a good approach to leveling up for mastery rank.  Definitely get your Serration and Hornet Strike a few more levels up, like 6 or 8.  You have a nice selection of frames so that's great.  Have you tried pairing frames with weapons?  Ignis + Saryn is a popular choice for example.

Looks like we're on the opposite of the world then so I doubt our connection will be stable enough to play but I'd be happy to give you a Flailing Branch for your Bo if you'd like.

Since you mention you can't make progress it is definitely going to be a case of the mods you have not being high enough level and/or wrong mods. Plenty of weapons you mention you have are more than adequate for clearing the starmap solo. I say this as a newish player myself. (MR8 now , have unlocked all planets and killed all bosses solo in game except for Lephantis and Jordas Golem as haven't tried those 2 yet).

Case in point when I first ran into Sargas Ruk I fought him with a Vectis and a level 3 Damaged Serration and the fight took about 45minutes. If I fight him now with the exact same Vectis still without potatoe or forma but with a level 8 Serration and a couple of maxxed critical hit/critical damage mods the fight takes about 4-5 shots. the only difference (same frame/weapon/mods) is the level of the mods being equipped.

No problem soloing anything in T1/T2/T3 and some T4 , can usually solo the first and sometimes the second sortie mission as well. All pretty much using a Tiberon and Orthos Prime  (both with a potatoe but no forma). Don't even have a stance mod for the Orthos as those are a cruel myth (as are staff stances btw, definitely feel your pain there as my that and my Bo Prime is also stanceless). This just to say that these aren't particularly 'end game' weapons or hard to get even for a relatively new player and to encourage you to look at your overall mod power levels and setups. Definitely don't feel afraid of the Void, T1 is like level 20 so like Saturn level difficulty no reason at all not to give it a go. If you don't want to solo just post that you are hosting a game in Recruit chat guarantee you will get takers.