The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Console & PC Controller / Gamepad Suggestions

(PSN)Crackle2012

On 3/18/2018 at 10:56 AM, Steel_Will said:

As much as I like the new gamepad support I'm going to have to disable it. It makes firing off a quick message in game too difficult and I also just had an instance where that damn chat box kept opening instead of selecting to leave in between rounds of an endless defense mission. And I was unable to use the mouse or keyboard because the interface was stuck on the gamepad control. I just kept hammering buttons on both until finally it made the selection. Sincere apologies to the guys I did that last second bail on. Keyboard presses really need to immediately and completely override the gamepad control. 

That was my situation as well. When I expected an Automatic Detection, I assumed it would be similar to other games I've played such as The Division or Wildlands or other games.

Basically, if I use a controller, like moving around, the game will go "OH :clem: show this person the control set up for Controllers." Yet I can still use my Keyboard & Mouse at any time. And when I'm done with the keyboard and mouse, RIGHT back to controller, and it goes "Oh, time to switch back to controller!"

Instead it's "Do you have a controller or keyboard & mouse?" "Uh, both please." "NO BOTH." "Okay, I have a controller." "Okay, you no have K&M now!" "What? No! That's not what I want!" "Nyet! You have controller." *disable controller only* "There. Oh, so you have a Keyboard & mouse. Okay. I will show you those commands." "F- :clem:!"

I would love to see the option to toogle Alt-fire. It works this way with the Tiberon as it has three modes. But the option to activate this feature for all dual-mode weapons would be highly appreciated. Pressing the stick you are aiming with to fire is very wonky and throws off your aim often.

So... never thought I'd write that.... PLEEEEEEEEEEASE.... PRETTY PLEEEEEASE

With the introduction of more abilities with a charge mechanic, can we PLEASE get some QoL improvements for controllers? As it stands right now, when trying to charge an ability (such as Hydroid's 1st and 4th abilities, or Zephyr's 1st ability) you have to hold down your Power Menu bumper + a face button. This typically means either losing the ability to move your frame with the left control stick or not being able to properly aim the ability with the right control stick since you have to hold a button down with one of your thumbs.

It would be extremely helpful when playing certain frames if that once you begin charging a skill by holding the Power Menu + Face Button, you would only need to hold the Power Menu button. 

This type of method could also be applied to tap/hold abilities, which are also a bit annoying to use on a controller currently, but not as much as these charge abilities.

Another minor suggestion I have would be regarding single handed abilities. Single handed abilities are supposed to be castable without interrupting certain actions such as charging a Bow weapon, or remaining zoomed in with a Sniper Rifle. While using a controller, if you charge a bow and try to cast a single handed ability by tapping the Power Menu Button by itself (which is meant to act as a Use Current Selected Power key) it will cancel the charge of the bow to cast the ability when they should be able to be performed at the same time. The Power Menu button coding is probably a little convoluted though, so I understand that trying to make a fix for a minor bug like this might be more trouble than what it's worth. So I won't complain too much about that one, but the previous problem of charging abilities REALLY makes playing certain frames like Hydroid reaaaaaaally annoying when playing with a controller.

Edited by _Locke_

1 minute ago, _Locke_ said:

Another minor suggestion I have would be regarding single handed abilities. Single handed abilities are supposed to be castable without interrupting certain actions such as charging a Bow weapon, or while being zoomed in with a Sniper Rifle. While using a controller, if you charge a bow and try to cast a single handed ability by tapping the Power Menu Button by itself (which is meant to act as a Use Current Selected Power key) it will cancel the charge of the bow to cast the ability when they should be able to be performed at the same time.

Charging Bows and aiming with sniper rifles are two handed actions. Regardless if the casted ability is single handed, the weapon being used requires two hands.    

16 minutes ago, DatDarkOne said:

Charging Bows and aiming with sniper rifles are two handed actions. Regardless if the casted ability is single handed, the weapon being used requires two hands.    

Wrong.

Here is a video of using the Lanka while using 1 handed abilities on a keyboard:

And here is what happens if you try to do the same with a controller using the Power Menu button:

50 minutes ago, _Locke_ said:

Wrong.

Here is a video of using the Lanka while using 1 handed abilities on a keyboard:

And here is what happens if you try to do the same with a controller using the Power Menu button:

I could always do that with Ivara's powers on my controller.  I just attributed that to her powers making a bow appear anyway.  She's the only frame I've ever use powers with while aiming.  That or it could just be because I have Elite controller with the powers on the paddles.  Oh well.  

52 minutes ago, DatDarkOne said:

I could always do that with Ivara's powers on my controller.  

It IS possible to do on a controller. However you must use a button that is assigned to 'Use Current Selected Power' or a button that is assigned specifically for Ability 1/2/3/4.

If you try to click the Power Menu button (which functionally is supposed to act the same as Use Current Selected Power), then it won't work exactly the same because the game registers your input as trying to open the power menu, which interrupts your other inputs like aiming down sights and charging a bow or laser weapon. This specific (albeit small) issue is something that I would like to see rectified if possible.

Edited by _Locke_

I was testing the ps4 controller, and set warframe to gamepad mode, and encountered some issues:

acessing the chat with a wireless keyboard, i would press T and it didnt work, ended up reverting to regular mode. (though controller mode is badass)

Is it possible to create a key binding that by pressing, it resets to the view the warframe is facing? kinda like some old rpg games did, (before left sticks were a thing) i think it could improve the gamepad experience. so players could for example map it to R3, and quickly see something their warframe is facing.

dunno if it makes sense.

2 minutes ago, Gamathecast said:

Is it possible to create a key binding that by pressing, it resets to the view the warframe is facing? kinda like some old rpg games did, (before left sticks were a thing) i think it could improve the gamepad experience. so players could for example map it to R3, and quickly see something their warframe is facing.

I think you can use the camera options to achieve the results you want.  There are also the toggle options for melee tracking, etc that might help you.  These options aren't in the controller settings, but the main settings instead.  

I can't say for sure if this will give you exactly what you're looking for, but it couldn't hurt to try.  

1 minute ago, DatDarkOne said:

I think you can use the camera options to achieve the results you want.  There are also the toggle options for melee tracking, etc that might help you.  These options aren't in the controller settings, but the main settings instead.  

I can't say for sure if this will give you exactly what you're looking for, but it couldn't hurt to try.  

oh, thank you, i'll look into it,

i currently play with a ps4 controller on my left hand and a gaming mouse on my right, but due to work (editing) my wrist needs to rest, so i'm looking on how to make the gamepad gameplay fit me.

6 minutes ago, Gamathecast said:

oh, thank you, i'll look into it,

i currently play with a ps4 controller on my left hand and a gaming mouse on my right, but due to work (editing) my wrist needs to rest, so i'm looking on how to make the gamepad gameplay fit me.

Now that's an interesting setup you're going for there.  You Sir/Madame get extra props for thinking outside the box.  

9 minutes ago, DatDarkOne said:

Now that's an interesting setup you're going for there.  You Sir/Madame get extra props for thinking outside the box.  

Blushes at being called Sir,

I just have really delicate wrists, that get hurt like for any reason, keyboards for gaming always hurt, so I started mapping controllers so that I didn't need a keyboard, gamepads are very ergonomic and don't cause wrist strain.

and since the ps4 controller supports gestures, it's really nice for some extra shortcuts at my left indicator's reach.

Recently, the right analog of my PS4 controller lost some of it sensitivity when moving it to the right. I could look up, down and left just fine, but my camera would move very slowly when I tried to look to the right some times. At the time (last month, I think) I was capturing Teralysts on my own, and you know you might have to use the secondary fire of the Amp a lot to take those shields down.

Somehow I managed to fix it and I've been avoiding intense Eidolon hunting sessions and taking it easier on my controller for a while.

My point is: I don't think analogs were made to be pressed constantly, and that constant pressing might have a toll on controllers.

I've tried thinking/remembering of any game were I had to press L3/R3 frenetically, but none come to mind. Not even in hack'n'slashs.

Solution/QoL change, add an Alt Fire toggle to every, or at least most, weapons that has more than one fire mode. Such option could be enabled in the configuration menu, so it's convenient for both, controller players and mouse & keyboard players.

19 minutes ago, (PS4)iQuedas said:

My point is: I don't think analogs were made to be pressed constantly, and that constant pressing might have a toll on controllers.

This one really depends on the controller itself and how well it's made.  Over the years I've only had two controllers out of all the ones I've owned since analog were first introduced to have the issue you are referring to.  One was a cheap Madcats and the other was the first generation dualshock for PS1.  The after only happened after it got really old though.  I've never owned the PS4 version so I can't say what it's construction/durability is like.    .  

26 minutes ago, (PS4)iQuedas said:

Recently, the right analog of my PS4 controller lost some of it sensitivity when moving it to the right. I could look up, down and left just fine, but my camera would move very slowly when I tried to look to the right some times. At the time (last month, I think) I was capturing Teralysts on my own, and you know you might have to use the secondary fire of the Amp a lot to take those shields down.

Somehow I managed to fix it and I've been avoiding intense Eidolon hunting sessions and taking it easier on my controller for a while.

I've tried thinking/remembering of any game were I had to press L3/R3 frenetically, but none come to mind. Not even in hack'n'slashs.

Solution/QoL change, add an Alt Fire toggle to every, or at least most, weapons that has more than one fire mode. Such option could be enabled in the configuration menu, so it's convenient for both, controller players and mouse & keyboard players.

If you are on PS4 you might want to set Alt Fire to R1, Square for melee and circle for Context/Reload (yes, it's bothersome) while using the touchpad exclusively for powers/transference.

Controller Support on PC is pretty good right now when using the in-built controller support, however you need to pass the UI code for glyph/icon drawing to the Steam UI Backend if we are using Steam Input with any controller (not just a Steam controller). That also means you can remove your code for drawing Steam Controller icons, since it's already handled by Steam Input.

More info here:

22 hours ago, (PS4)iQuedas said:

Never mind the toll on the controller, you should never have a setup which requires you to constantly press an analogue stick down due to the toll on your hand, wrist and lower arm.

You barely have any stabilizers to protect you from the strain of that movement, meaning a lot of stress has to be sustained by tendons.
There's a reason you can't think of any games where this is required, the medical profession has demonstrated why it is harmful and convinced game developers to refrain from coding for it. Analogue press actions are almost always assigned to the least used functions, and for good reason.  
Repetitive strain injuries are cumulative, the fact that you're not having any problems now doesn't mean you won't down the line. 

In my settings screen I have the option to rebind an alt-fire toggle, I'm not sure which setup you have which would stop you from doing so but I'd suggest you find out and rebind it sooner rather than later. 

5 hours ago, Wiergate said:

Never mind the toll on the controller, you should never have a setup which requires you to constantly press an analogue stick down due to the toll on your hand, wrist and lower arm.

You barely have any stabilizers to protect you from the strain of that movement, meaning a lot of stress has to be sustained by tendons.
There's a reason you can't think of any games where this is required, the medical profession has demonstrated why it is harmful and convinced game developers to refrain from coding for it. Analogue press actions are almost always assigned to the least used functions, and for good reason.  
Repetitive strain injuries are cumulative, the fact that you're not having any problems now doesn't mean you won't down the line. 

In my settings screen I have the option to rebind an alt-fire toggle, I'm not sure which setup you have which would stop you from doing so but I'd suggest you find out and rebind it sooner rather than later. 

Let me add, the only action I have assigned right now to use regularly are a shortcut for Simaris Scanner on R3 and the Sprint toggle for L3. And the latter could totally be solved by adding in proper analog support. If you can set it through Steam (which you can, I tried it some time ago with outer deadzones), then I'm sure DE has to be able to do that in engine.

Edited by NightmareT12

Hello everyone! I'm looking for some option for Inverted Y axis separate from between mouse and gamepad. Either I've completely missed it or it's not available, but it's making life difficult.

I often switch between M&K and an Xbox 360 controller, mostly for archwing missions, and I've reached a point in the game where archwings are used breifly in ground missions. I'm finding it frustrating to scramble around at my desk just because my movement type is different for a few minutes.

Any way to solve this?

Many thanks.

Not sure if our steam controller savior lately Jim will see this but thought I'd put it out there even though they don't use it in their official Steam Controller config. On the steam controller, you can use steam's overlay, to make touch menus pop out, and click down on them (similar to a radial but not round) they also later added the ability to makes radials yourself too on the touch pads, or on the analog stick. This is a bit more useful now, because at some point Valve added the ability for the non-Steam controllers to be configured with it too, so people using other controls, can choose to made their own radials on stuff.

The reason I brought it up, is Valve has a generic set of icons you can use on the radial and touch menu buttons. I knew you could personally modify your own icons by adding them to Steam's directory for them (albeit, not sure how this effects sharing of pad profiles) but I today, found out that the developers can add their own icons per game, actually I hear the end users can just jam their own here too and have it work for that matter, but it's a simple thing and would be a nice little bit of easy polish. All a developer has to do, is get some icons, and jam into <Game Directory>\touchmenuicons as pngs.

If anyone at DE cares to play with it some time, the default touch menu icons to see size/transparency references and what not are in: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\tenfoot\resource\images\library\controller\binding_icons

Official API word on this can be found on this page at the bottom, but it's not really a lot of info or anything: https://partner.steamgames.com/doc/features/steam_controller/getting_started_for_devs

I really hope that one day Warframe will have native support for the DS4 controller on PC. Every Xbox controller I've owned always have issues with stick drift. I'm sure similar issues have probably occurred with DS4 controllers, but I personally haven't had those problems with the Playstation 4 controller

i think many of us can agree with this, can we have custom key on our keyboard that go's into typing, like key we choose. exp i press T then it allows me to type into chat instantly like i was using pc UI. so we don't have press pause and such. we can just start typing away as warframe. many people have voice chat mute or turn off in full. so being able to press a key on your keyboard.  lap keyboard i have logitech k400r wireless keyboard i set on my lap for typing. but i can't link items sadly. if there is way to link items while using on screen keyboard in big picture or in the text window for controller. please message me know. it will help me out alot if this is already added.  

On 3/4/2018 at 8:04 AM, Sunrisefire said:

i think many of us can agree with this, can we have custom key on our keyboard that go's into typing, like key we choose. exp i press T then it allows me to type into chat instantly like i was using pc UI. so we don't have press pause and such. we can just start typing away as warframe. many people have voice chat mute or turn off in full. so being able to press a key on your keyboard.  lap keyboard i have logitech k400r wireless keyboard i set on my lap for typing. but i can't link items sadly. if there is way to link items while using on screen keyboard in big picture or in the text window for controller. please message me know. it will help me out alot if this is already added.  

Yes, I'd argue that's a point I'd like the UI team to work on if possible. Some sort of hotkey that bypasses the "controller rules" on the controller UI for those of us on PC, as well as anyone using keyboards on their controller (I've seen Megan uses one on her XB1@1 streams).

Or heck, as you say the keyboard open chat key.

Edited by NightmareT12