Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Console & PC Controller / Gamepad Suggestions

(PSN)Crackle2012

@semidext You mentioned Steam config. -  am I confused or does this mean you use Steam's Big Picture mode? As discussed above, that has certain upsides but also some severe limitations. 

I'm also wondering about the delay you mention in bullet jumps if you string them together with other moves, since I've had inconsistent experiences with that. Overall I find the parkour to be the most (only?) satisfying part of using a controller, since it feels much more fluid there compared to mouse/KB and I can easily hold my own against veteran speedrunners.
However, until recently there was a nearly game-breaking delay in movement in Operator mode while using a controller, which was affected (although not determined) by whether your crouch was command was set as a toggle or not.
Can you explain your controller setup specifically as it pertains to parkour? 
Since DE fixed the Operator mode problem I mentioned, it feels like there's a bit of forward momentum (no pun intended) for the first time in ages for controller users. If there are more improvements available specifically WRT input delays maybe now is a good time to offer feedback. 

Individual moves and strings of moves should be easy enough to test, I imagine. 

Edited by Wiergate

1 hour ago, Wiergate said:

@semidext You mentioned Steam config. -  am I confused or does this mean you use Steam's Big Picture mode? As discussed above, that has certain upsides but also some severe limitations. 

I'm also wondering about the delay you mention in bullet jumps if you string them together with other moves, since I've had inconsistent experiences with that. Overall I find the parkour to be the most (only?) satisfying part of using a controller, since it feels much more fluid there compared to mouse/KB and I can easily hold my own against veteran speedrunners.
However, until recently there was a nearly game-breaking delay in movement in Operator mode while using a controller, which was affected (although not determined) by whether your crouch was command was set as a toggle or not.
Can you explain your controller setup specifically as it pertains to parkour? 
Since DE fixed the Operator mode problem I mentioned, it feels like there's a bit of forward momentum (no pun intended) for the first time in ages for controller users. If there are more improvements available specifically WRT input delays maybe now is a good time to offer feedback. 

Individual moves and strings of moves should be easy enough to test, I imagine. 

Yes, and no. I went through quite a few hoops to work out the big picture mode for my needs, I'll tell you my process but it may not be the simplest method.

Since I have a PS4 controller I went into big picture and turned on support for it within the steam settings. I launched Warframe within big picture and configured my controls. Logged out, exited warframe, unplugged my controller, exited big picture. Then, while in the regular steam client and NOT big picture mode I relaunched Warframe and plug in my controller at the login screen before inputting my password. Once you log in this way I get full controller support with simultaneous full keyboard and mouse function. That cuts out the poor overlay while chatting as well as issues with menu options that I had through big picture. You will need use of a mouse to select certain mission types and things of that nature but everything is fluid, if needed you could move forward with the joystick while moving your mouse to look around. That makes things much much easier on me in terms of parkour.

As for my controller config I'm not currently at my computer (I'm on mobile) but I can describe a bit of what I'm using here.

I eliminated use of a power menu first off. My directional pad functions as my power menu. Up is power 1, left is 2, right is 3, down is 4.

Left joystick is movement up down left and right with a push sensitivity toggle for sprint or walk, so gentle push up is a walk and pushing in triggers sprint.

Right joystick looks around and pushing in triggers power 5 to active my operator mode.

X is jump, crouch, slide, and roll. So long press x=crouch, regular press=jump, long press while moving forward is slide and roll. So, long press til crouch then press again = jump, hold until nearing ground= slide, for example. This is the part that isn't fluid enough for smooth parkour for me.

Square is context actions so hacking etc.

Circle is quick melee attacking.

Triangle is switch weapon.

My ps4 share button toggles the big map, pause menu pauses.

L1 is the gear menu, L2 places waypoints.

R1 aims weapon, R2 is fire weapon.

I hope Devs read this at all, but using the PS4 Legacy controls that does not include the Power Menu prohibit the use of "Charge Abilities".

Legacy Controls introduce the function of swiping the touchpad in a particular direction (Up,Down,Left,Right) to activate the desired ability corresponding to the gesture.

As it stands now  Legacy controls DO register the function of for example of when the device is swiped up and held. Release of the hold would then proceed to activate the ability however the game wont register the action as a charged mechanic. I can swipe up and spam the ability by performing multiple gestures however I can swipe and hold the ability, release after holding the gusture for a moment and the game will proceed to act as if the gesture was not charged and issued as a single button press.

By the gods, is there any way that this function can be added to the game? Its a quality of life action that has so much meaning behind it for many players.

On 11/29/2017 at 9:15 AM, (PS4)Gaelic-_-Flame said:

Another thing I would like, but I'm not sure if it's possible or not, is make it possible to activate Hold abilities using touchpad. Something like swipe and hold (where you don't release your finger from a touchpad) would be quite neat.

It appears that your suggestion didn't make it to the ears of the devs which is unfortunate. Considering bird frame just received a hold mechanic, that puts is in an sad predicament.

The saddest part is that the touch pad does acknowledge when an action is greater and held but the game hasn't been tweaked to allow this option.

It would add great QoL to our experience as a whole.

13 hours ago, (PS4)RenovaKunumaru said:

I hope Devs read this at all, but using the PS4 Legacy controls that does not include the Power Menu prohibit the use of "Charge Abilities".

Legacy Controls introduce the function of swiping the touchpad in a particular direction (Up,Down,Left,Right) to activate the desired ability corresponding to the gesture.

As it stands now  Legacy controls DO register the function of for example of when the device is swiped up and held. Release of the hold would then proceed to activate the ability however the game wont register the action as a charged mechanic. I can swipe up and spam the ability by performing multiple gestures however I can swipe and hold the ability, release after holding the gusture for a moment and the game will proceed to act as if the gesture was not charged and issued as a single button press.

By the gods, is there any way that this function can be added to the game? Its a quality of life action that has so much meaning behind it for many players.

Funny thing, I use the DS4 touchpad on PC (thanks DS4Windows) and can make it work correctly. So it's definitely possible.

Edited by NightmareT12

On 2/3/2018 at 5:54 PM, (PS4)RenovaKunumaru said:

Considering bird frame just received a hold mechanic, that puts is in an sad predicament.

It's funny that it actually won't hinder me for once, since I use R3 for 1st ability, and it seems they added hold only for Tailwind. :D

However I still wouldn't mind getting swipes to work with holds, because I still want to enjoy some other frames without the annoying workaround I have...

On 2/2/2018 at 12:36 PM, semidext said:

Yes, and no. I went through quite a few hoops to work out the big picture mode for my needs, I'll tell you my process but it may not be the simplest method. (...)

Ugh. No comment, except that it's completely ridiculous we have to put up with this. Exclusive mode with desired per-game settings should not be a pipe-dream in 2018. 

On 2/2/2018 at 12:36 PM, semidext said:

X is jump, crouch, slide, and roll. So long press x=crouch, regular press=jump, long press while moving forward is slide and roll. So, long press til crouch then press again = jump, hold until nearing ground= slide, for example. This is the part that isn't fluid enough for smooth parkour for me.

Yeah, that does sound cumbersome. I'm actually surprised there's enough input sensitivity to make it work at all, and with that in mind, getting DE to improve it... Assuming you can't map your crouch anywhere else, have you tried Inputmapper to tweak macros for some of this stuff? It allows for combined triggers which could translate (for instance) x+square to crouch, x+directional input (e.g forward movement) to slide and roll etc. Combinations of press/release and press/wait for retrigger might help as well. 
Getting IM to run in exclusive mode on Windows 10 can be a nightmare and every Windows update is likely to break it, but for the most part it doesn't seem to matter.

I know that's a far cry from what you had in mind when posting, but frankly it seems we're going to be stuck in the dark ages until Microsoft and Valve can agree not to break each other's APIs at every opportunity and then getting devs to trust their weight to such an agreement and actually make use of the available possibilities.  

21 hours ago, QDwe2OtRs4dOvxTrt3Yuop said:

is this the right place that i can ask some questions or not??

if yes is the plague star event coming back again or no more?

No, it's not, but Plague Star will probably come back every now and then - most events do. 

On 2/10/2018 at 3:34 PM, Wiergate said:

Ugh. No comment, except that it's completely ridiculous we have to put up with this. Exclusive mode with desired per-game settings should not be a pipe-dream in 2018. 

Yeah, that does sound cumbersome. I'm actually surprised there's enough input sensitivity to make it work at all, and with that in mind, getting DE to improve it... Assuming you can't map your crouch anywhere else, have you tried Inputmapper to tweak macros for some of this stuff? It allows for combined triggers which could translate (for instance) x+square to crouch, x+directional input (e.g forward movement) to slide and roll etc. Combinations of press/release and press/wait for retrigger might help as well. 
Getting IM to run in exclusive mode on Windows 10 can be a nightmare and every Windows update is likely to break it, but for the most part it doesn't seem to matter.

I know that's a far cry from what you had in mind when posting, but frankly it seems we're going to be stuck in the dark ages until Microsoft and Valve can agree not to break each other's APIs at every opportunity and then getting devs to trust their weight to such an agreement and actually make use of the available possibilities.  

I hadn't thought of trying to combine inputs, but that is genius-Ill have to see if I can make this work with my current setup. Thank you very much for the suggestion!

@semidext My pleasure. I suggest joining the IM forum so you can get access to quicker support. I had very few issues on Windows 7 but on Windows 10 it's sometimes more of a hassle since there are certain provisions for a controller API from Microsoft - they're just horribly implemented, frequently break and are probably intended for some sort of XBox crossover I don't think anyone cares about.
It works great in Warframe if you remember to use Scancode for macros and (for me at least) disable the 'trackpad as mouse' option. I just use it to keep reload and context action separate and to set waypoints with the trackpad right-click, but combined inputs opens a lot of other possibilities in games and a lot of apps in Windows generally. 

IM is on a shoestring and basically depends on one guy - but he has far better ideas and more commitment than several IT giants can be bothered to scrape up. Go figure :thinking:  

I wanna use my Xbox One controller through Steam's Big Picture Mode but have issues. I'm having trouble getting Steam's Big Picture Mode to respond to my Xbox One controller. In the controller settings it shows "Unregistered: Xbox One Controller". I've tried checking and unchecking both Xbox controller support and Generic controller support, no luck. I'm running Windows 10 Creator's Update.

How do I fix this? Do I still need to update my controller drivers despite already running Windows 10?

1 minute ago, Varlu said:

I wanna use my Xbox One controller through Steam's Big Picture Mode but have issues. I'm having trouble getting Steam's Big Picture Mode to respond to my Xbox One controller. In the controller settings it shows "Unregistered: Xbox One Controller". I've tried checking and unchecking both Xbox controller support and Generic controller support, no luck. I'm running Windows 10 Creator's Update.

How do I fix this? Do I still need to update my controller drivers despite already running Windows 10?

That's an issue with Steam.  I had that problem also about a year ago.  It use to work perfectly and then Steam had some update that started causing issues.  I was able to get it working after doing a bunch of settings changes in the Steam menu.  

The one thing I'd do is allow one of the buttons to be set as a modifier for all of the others, so that at the loss of one button, you double the number of actions you can bind to all the others.

In my case I'd put this on L1, which would let me move map, inspect, consumables, marker and context action from the default layout into the 2nd layout, then I'd move crouch onto square, and reload onto circle (so I could easily do bullet-jumps by pushing both square and X with my thumb), put my abilities on the D-pad, and focus onto L1+R1.

There would also be plenty of other bindings left spare in the 2nd layout, so you could do things like have quickbinds for gear, or swap the side the camera is on (like I use on PC, to shoot around cover), and the developers would have a way to add new functions in future, without having to rely so much on taps, double-taps, holds, and tap-and-holds.

5 minutes ago, polarity said:

The one thing I'd do is allow one of the buttons to be set as a modifier for all of the others, so that at the loss of one button, you double the number of actions you can bind to all the others.

In my case I'd put this on L1, which would let me move map, inspect, consumables, marker and context action from the default layout into the 2nd layout, then I'd move crouch onto square, and reload onto circle (so I could easily do bullet-jumps by pushing both square and X with my thumb), put my abilities on the D-pad, and focus onto L1+R1.

There would also be plenty of other bindings left spare in the 2nd layout, so you could do things like have quickbinds for gear, or swap the side the camera is on (like I use on PC, to shoot around cover), and the developers would have a way to add new functions in future, without having to rely so much on taps, double-taps, holds, and tap-and-holds.

I'm down for that.  

3 minutes ago, Jarriaga said:

It won't let me. I get a message that states aim and melee channel buttons can't be changed.

Are you going to this area in the options?

UN21olD.jpg

If you are getting a message saying that you can't do it, then it's a glitch.  Restarting and optimizing cache should hopefully resolve that problem.  

3 minutes ago, DatDarkOne said:

Are you going to this area in the options?

UN21olD.jpg

If you are getting a message saying that you can't do it, then it's a glitch.  Restarting and optimizing cache should hopefully resolve that problem.  

That looks nothing like the screen I get when changing the buttons. I actually get my Xbox pad displayed on the screen with button prompts and descriptions.

1 minute ago, Jarriaga said:

That looks nothing like the screen I get when changing the buttons. I actually get my Xbox pad displayed on the screen with button prompts and descriptions.

That's the in-game Controller config screen in Warframe itself I showed you.  No wonder you are having trouble.  Use the In game options.