Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

something for players to think about

Magicfingers

to the people who keep saying "nerf this...nerf that...it's to OP", i ask you to keep in mind players like me. not everyone is a killing machine like you and can do things easily in this game. some people need that extra bit of power just to be able and try to be as good as you. i would love to be able to play this game, wrecking everything in sight while i watched tv, listened to the radio, and knitted a sweater all at the same time as you apparently can.

and before you say "git gud", i've been playing this game since the very early days of closed beta. according to my profile in game i have 2,566 hours playing. according to steam i have 3,411 hours in game, so i'm as "gud" as i'm ever gonna qet. and i'm willing to bet there are many, many more just like me out there trying to play the game. and i'm sure there are many, many more out there like you who can wreck this game while they play it. all i'm asking is, before you start yelling "nerf", stop and think about us...the people who need that extra bit of edge to their stuff.

and even though you have exceptional skills at playing this game,you max out all your stuff..forma things to infinity and beyond and then because you have those amazing skills and made your stuff so over powered it trivializes the game for you, you start yelling nerf at which point when things get nerfed, i have a feeling you throw more forma on things to make it over powered again, then the yelling "nerf" starts again. take a minute or two to think about what nerfing things does to people like me.

you can take a rank 5 serration doing 90% damage and probably do better than me with a maxed out serration doing 120% damage. you can take a rank 5 hornet strike doing 120% damage and probably out do me with a maxed rank hornet strike doing 220% damage. you can even take a rank 3 pressure point doing 80% damage...hell...maybe even a rank 2 pressure point doing 60% damage and do much better than me with a maxed out pressure point doing 120% damage.

what i'm getting at is some people, like me, need that extra power or that extra ability strength, just to try and keep up with you. so please, before you start yelling "nerf", think about the little people. the people that don't have your skill set. instead of nerfing things in the whole game, nerf yourself. don't equip a maxed out mod or whatever when, with your abilities, you could easily get by with things not maxed out and forma'd to death. have pity on your fellow, not as good as you are, tenno.

This argument again?

So you should be able to press one button and wipe maps while I do what-suck my thumbs? Just like you want to have fun, I do too. I can't do that with you clearing rooms before I get there. The argument is like I should eat the cake slower so you can have some cake too, (which is fine by me) but you end up swallowing the cake in one bite.

The issue is that something is too powerful. Powerful stuff is fun, too powerful stuff ruins it. That's why DE is talking a look at bringing things to  a manageable level.

Why wouldn't we tell you to "git gud" when that's literally what your whole problem is?

I'm not going to ignore game balance just because a few people aren't able to survive. It's called progression in games. If you've played that long and have such problems then you either don't strive to get better or are just bad. Why should people who are good handicap themselves for you? It's not their problem, it is your own.

3 minutes ago, Senpai-Pie said:

Why wouldn't we tell you to "git gud" when that's literally what your whole problem is?

I'm not going to ignore game balance just because a few people aren't able to survive. It's called progression in games. If you've played that long and have such problems then you either don't strive to get better or are just bad. Why should people who are good handicap themselves for you? It's not their problem, it is your own.

some people are just not capable of getting any better, we've hit out physical limits.

I don't really get what you're driving at here. Do you want people to feel bad for you because you admitted you suck at the game?

I'm no MLG player myself, but even I don't believe that people shouldn't ask DE to balance their game properly just to make guys like us happy. If something is entirely too powerful, it needs to be taken down a few pegs. If something is too weak, it needs to be brought up to speed. That's how balance works, and every game needs it, no matter how much you claim otherwise. Don't be selfish, man.

4 minutes ago, Magicfingers said:

some people are just not capable of getting any better, we've hit out physical limits.

Or you just don't strive to be better and do what's easier. Complain.

The only thing stopping you from getting better is yourself. If you don't try to push your limits then why should everyone else who do push themselves suffer because of that?

1 minute ago, Roachester said:

I don't really get what you're driving at here. Do you want people to feel bad for you because you admitted you suck at the game?

I'm no MLG player myself, but even I don't believe that people shouldn't ask DE to balance their game properly just to make guys like us happy. If something is entirely too powerful, it needs to be taken down a few pegs. If something is too weak, it needs to be brought up to speed. That's how balance works, and every game needs it, no matter how much you claim otherwise. Don't be selfish, man.

no, i'm not asking for people to feel bad for me. just to think a bit before they yell nerf

1 minute ago, Senpai-Pie said:

Or you just don't strive to be better and do what's easier. Complain.

The only thing stopping you from getting better is yourself. If you don't try to push your limits then why should everyone else who do push themselves suffer because of that?

or maybe it was the two strokes i had last year stopping me from getting better? the point is, you don't know why people can't get better. you just assume it's because they aren't trying.

Those that are not good can stick to lower levels and kill things there. Don't bring the whole game down to your level. Frames/weapons that can trivialize content messes up the rate at which DE wants to offer free items. With the people looking for a challenge wanting to be rewarded for it, there are also those that see OP combos as a means to a end for skip grinding in a grinding game. If DE were to choose to keep OP items, they will punish us in other ways. Lower % rates of drops, longer missions, unnecessarily cheesy enemies to counter more power (real fun for you players who depend on cheese to just get by). Then the divide of the haves and have nots will widen more anyway. It does not help though when they only do a few frames at a a time. Yet there are only so many devs that touch that part of the game.

Edited by Firetempest

Just now, Magicfingers said:

no, i'm not asking for people to feel bad for me. just to think a bit before they yell nerf

If you feel somebody's asking for a nerf that could potentially hurt the way you play the game, then just go into the thread and tell them. Talk things out and offer up alternative solutions that could make BOTH of you happy. Compromise. Have an actual discussion. That's what the forums are here for, after all.

Threads like this don't achieve anything.

1 minute ago, Magicfingers said:

or maybe it was the two strokes i had last year stopping me from getting better? the point is, you don't know why people can't get better. you just assume it's because they aren't trying.

I'm not assuming. You aren't trying. You're here complaining instead of out there trying to get better.

I think the OP's observation is perfectly valid. It seems like a lot of the nerfs, especially recently, shift the frame's stats such that they're balanced around specific, game-breaking builds that not everyone uses or even wants to use, to the detriment of more rounded builds. And that is to say nothing of novice players who haven't yet maxed out every mod they use, and most likely don't even have that many mods.

I also notice that the frames getting the nerfs most often are ones that are most friendly to the novice players. Meanwhile, several that really do qualify as 'mash one button and nuke everything' go for the most part untouched. Please for the love of Teshin DE, balance the game around the average player, not just the desires of a few overly vocal, self-interested 'veterans'.

In short, I am sick of soloing this game. Player retention is through the floor and the difficulty bias towards veterans with lots of mods is definitely not helping.

7 minutes ago, Senpai-Pie said:

I'm not assuming. You aren't trying. You're here complaining instead of out there trying to get better.

i'm not complaining. i'm offering up something for other players to think about. and once again i state that sometimes people have limits and no matter what they do, they just can't get any better. people like you who apparently have no problems playing the game can't seem to understand that no matter what some people just can't do any better. i'm sure there might be something i'm better at than you and you can't get any better at it...but i'm not telling you to try harder and you will. if you hit your wall, then you hit your wall and no amount of trying will break through that wall.

Edited by Magicfingers
misspelling

3 minutes ago, Magicfingers said:

people like you who apparently have no problems playing the game can't seem to understand that no matter what some people just can't do any better

Usually when people call something "OP" it's because it's cheesy... Like mirage + simulor / ash's bladestorm / trinity's EV / nova's ult (can't remember the exact name) etc etc..

It's stuff that even someone with 2 finger on each hand could do and wreck everything with. (no offense to people with 2 fingers on each hand...)

28 minutes ago, Magicfingers said:

If that's the case and you still can't handle the game you're playing- you need to find a different one because it's not the right game for you.

In many cases it's not about straight power so much as about functionality. Mirage's Prism blind going through walls wasn't an issue that could be solved by changing numbers--same thing with Excalibur's Radial Blind before it, and a host of other powers. A lot of that functionality, furthermore, wasn't necessary so much as it was just overkill, because it neutralized threats that, often times, the player wasn't even aware of. I'm not one of the "git gud" crowd, but I do think there are extremes (like those ones, and others) that are too easy for me to buy into the "but I need this!" argument.

All that said, you're not wrong about nerf cries being abundant on the forums. That tends to happen with most any game where balance is an issue. However, it's equally important to recognize that some of those arguments do have real weight and reasoning behind them.

Personally, I hate the word "nerf", I prefer "change" instead. Lets take Ash for example, I don't like playing with Ash on my team or as Ash because he kills eveything too easily. I can just walk around and an Ash kills everything before I get there, and I'm probably not the only one. I think that stuff like Ash need a change rather than a nerf because Ash do what he suppose to do but too passivly.
The Tonkor for example I don't think need any change, it's good as it is.

People asking for nerf because the game sometime don't feel hard as it suppose to be but because of the "scaling" system the enemies are more of a bullet sponge and kill in one hit. DE need to balance the game, not to nerf it or buffing it. Balancing is about nerfing a little there and buffing a little there, this is how to bring change and balance.

Edited by CommanderSpawn
typo

Agreed, screaming "nerf this" doesn't give a good feel for the people using op stuff, it's time to start saying "balance this" instead, to show people using broken stuff that we care about their feelings and take away part of the bitterness that a nerf brings (:

30 minutes ago, Magicfingers said:

if you hit your wall, then you hit your wall and no amount of trying will break through that wall.

I'll get back to you on that when I accomplish enough in my life to be able to use a wrecking ball. Like that goes your wall and so I continue walking forward. Or I could climb over that wall. Walk around it. You name it.

What I'm saying is you gave a bad example.

Overpowered things surely need to be balanced properly to prevent lack of variety in the game. I love how DE balanced the ultra op Synoid Gammacor without making it useless.

The only problem with DE nerfing overpowered stuffs is that they tend to overdo it. Instead of balancing an item, DE has a tendency to make it useless or near useless (see Greedy Mag, Mesa pre rework, and Vulklok nerf).

Edited by Jangkrik

28 minutes ago, -----LegioN----- said:

Agreed, screaming "nerf this" doesn't give a good feel for the people using op stuff, it's time to start saying "balance this" instead, to show people using broken stuff that we care about their feelings and take away part of the bitterness that a nerf brings (:

You, sir, are impeccably cruel in a refined way. I applause.

Alas, I'll be rude.

1 hour ago, Magicfingers said:

think about the little people

This world is made so that everyone thinks of their own amusement and comfort, and not about others. If you need "crutches" to feel equal with others - you're just lying to yourself. If others want the game balanced, they will never care about the group that vitally needs broken gear, and will continue to yell "nerf!" or "balance!" object or mechanic X. 

No one will ever care about little people. Deal with it

PS: and read Nietzsche

Edited by Teloch