Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Umbra Warframes (Discussion Thread)

Sorry if this has already been proposed somewhere - but here's my little idea on what Umbra is all about.

"The War Within" is coming up soon. "War Within". When I first saw the original trailer, I thought it was a Grineer-focused quest. Some kind of Grineer civil war or something. Now that we've seen the new trailer, I'm wondering if "War Within" is reffering to a war within the Tenno ranks? Who would lead the 2 sides in such a war? Lotus.. and... Teshin? Clearly there is a conflict between Teshin and a Tenno in that trailer. What if the new way of things is to be that 'Good' Tenno side with 'good' Space-mom Lotus and 'evil' Tenno side with 'evil' Space-dad Teshin and his Umbra warframes? 

Remember that "Umbra" refers to the darkest part of a shadow. 

We now(or will soon) have 3 variants of frames (xcal for now:

Normal - Tenno/Lotus? design

Prime - Orokin design

"Umbra" - Teshin's spin on the frames.

Maybe depending on which 'type' of frame we use when doing a mission, we gain 'favor' with either Lotus or Teshin, almost like a Syndicate, and maybe get rewards (or punishments!) from the other side.

Who knows, just thinking aloud now.

Thoughts?

{M}

Edited by Meneliki

18 minutes ago, Meneliki said:

Sorry if this has already been proposed somewhere - but here's my little idea on what Umbra is all about.

"The War Within" is coming up soon. "War Within". When I first saw the original trailer, I thought it was a Grineer-focused quest. Some kind of Grineer civil war or something. Now that we've seen the new trailer, I'm wondering if "War Within" is reffering to a war within the Tenno ranks? Who would lead the 2 sides in such a war? Lotus.. and... Teshin? Clearly there is a conflict between Teshin and a Tenno in that trailer. What if the new way of things is to be that 'Good' Tenno side with 'good' Space-mom Lotus and 'evil' Tenno side with 'evil' Space-dad Teshin and his Umbra warframes? 

Remember that "Umbra" refers to the darkest part of a shadow. 

We now(or will soon) have 3 variants of frames (xcal for now:

Normal - Tenno/Lotus? design

Prime - Orokin design

"Umbra" - Teshin's spin on the frames.

Maybe depending on which 'type' of frame we use when doing a mission, we gain 'favor' with either Lotus or Teshin, almost like a Syndicate, and maybe get rewards (or punishments!) from the other side.

Who knows, just thinking aloud now.

Thoughts?

{M}

I'd love a system making us pick a side with Lotus and Teshin as the choices, sadly I don't think it's viable for something longer than a single event.

On the lore side, Teshin is supposed to have some kind of orokin connection, so it makes sense for his side to give us prime stuff, while on the other side, Lotus is a sentient (gonna read natah again to make sure of it. quest replayability pls!) so it makes sense for her side to give us the arm upgrade thingies instead.

I'm not sure of how the Umbra could fit on this system until Umbra lore gets actually revealed. Is Umbra a forgotten and underdeveloped orokin project before warframes and tenno? Or did they create similar Excaliburs (and other warframes, didn't know how to put it there) for different purposes? Are Umbras sentient? Are they related to the grineer queens? 

Dunno, just some random thoughts and opinion anyways 

17 minutes ago, Demoonic said:

The fact that DE hasn't said Umbra is NOT coming in War Within makes me think he'll actually be in it....mmmmm

And probably at the last moment. At the FINAL END cinematic of War within. Umbra will appears from nowhere like that : 

Spoiler

and everyone will be like : 

Spoiler

Edited by yual
Because why not

3 hours ago, Demoonic said:

The fact that DE hasn't said Umbra is NOT coming in War Within makes me think he'll actually be in it....mmmmm

Again, this still exists:

On 6/29/2016 at 7:34 PM, Demoonic said:

I've already seen it, I still retain my hype cause I'm that kinda person lol

You've admitted to have read spoilers, so saying something like that just makes you look a bit inconsiderate.

4 minutes ago, LazerSkink said:

Again, this still exists:

You've admitted to have read spoilers, so saying something like that just makes you look a bit inconsiderate.

I don't see how that makes me inconsiderate? I'm not spoiling anything by tinfoil hatting, I'm worried he might not come in this update.

I don't see how that makes me inconsiderate? I'm not spoiling anything by tinfoil hatting, I'm worried he might not come in this update.

You admitted to have read spoilers, many now know of the fact you know something they don't. Ergo, when you say something like "...this makes me think he'll be in the War Within mmmmmm..." just gives off the impression that you're probably spoiling something while trying to be crafty about it. This is me at least, I don't know about others.

Also, you kind of contradicted yourself here:

The fact that DE hasn't said Umbra is NOT coming in War Within makes me think he'll actually be in it

I'm worried he might not come in this update.

Edited by LazerSkink

11 minutes ago, LazerSkink said:

You admitted to have read spoilers, many now know of the fact you know something they don't. Ergo, when you say something like "...this makes me think he'll be in the War Within mmmmmm..." just gives off the impression that you're probably spoiling something while trying to be crafty about it. This is me at least, I don't know about others.

Oh, I wasn't trying to low-key spoil something. I'm genuinely worried he might not come in this update. I was actually just theorizing that maybe because DE hasn't told us hes not coming means he is? Eh?

8 hours ago, (XB1)MK Ultra K11 said:

The sassyness level is OVER 9000!!!! No but seriously Your not making anyone agree with you and I can see that. I'm defending you because I hate when people shove word in my mouth so I'm guessing you aren't to happy right now either.

yea for some reason this guy thinks I'm trying to force everyone to accept something when I'm really not 

I'm not a jehovahs witness xD

Edited by LorianTheElderPrince

2 hours ago, LazerSkink said:

at least he's not spelling the whole thing out right.

30 minutes ago, Deskhon said:

I hope that there won't be umbra for every warframe, 2 versions are enough.

I hope only warframes without prime version (except for Excalibur because of obvious reasons) are eligible to get an Umbra upgrade which makes them not eligible to get a prime one anymore. This way the 3 variants for the same warframe "issue" gets easily avoided and DE gets a way to speed up the pace of giving upgrades to warframes.

and a wishful thinking of Equinox Umbra Prime, changibg between Equinox Day Prime and Equinox Umbra Night forms

I wonder how many pages we have just jumped back on this one

5 minutes ago, -----LegioN----- said:

I hope only warframes without prime version (except for Excalibur because of obvious reasons) are eligible to get an Umbra upgrade which makes them not eligible to get a prime one anymore. This way the 3 variants for the same warframe "issue" gets easily avoided and DE gets a way to speed up the pace of giving upgrades to warframes.

and a wishful thinking of Equinox Umbra Prime, changibg between Equinox Day Prime and Equinox Umbra Night forms

I wonder how many pages we have just jumped back on this one

Uhm, it's not like those frames who don't have a Prime version won't have it in the future. 

They're just on the list as every frame is eligible for the Prime version, considering that's the original form that every warframe has. 

So making Umbra based on that doesn't really make sense as in a year or two we might get Prime Equinox even if Umbra was never a thing. 

10 hours ago, LazerSkink said:

Its becuase even with the spoilers were still not sure IF WE WILL GET HIM in this update.

5 hours ago, markus230 said:

I hope that there will be Umbra only for starter frames... I just want to see Volt Umbra in the future

I cannot agree more. #Volt Umbra lighting reaper of death.

6 minutes ago, (XB1)MK Ultra K11 said:

Its becuase even with the spoilers were still not sure IF WE WILL GET HIM in this update.

I cannot agree more. #Volt Umbra lighting reaper of death.

Exactly, we don't know if he'll be obtainable or not.