The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How does everyone else feel about the fact Guides of the Lotus now have an "exclusive" armor set?

Eldnacpeek

Just now, Vyra said:

the onyl difference is that it comes form heart...
we didn't beg DE for stuff because we play their game the entire day and help others...

We never asked for it.

We were surprised with the announcement of it, after it was already in the works.

I think the whole guides of the lotus thing is unnecessary if you need help you ask in regional chat, the whole thing of new players A. knowing what a relay even is, B. knowing someone MAY or MAY NOT be there to help them in a relay.

All the times i've been in a relay i have like only seen the symbol maybe once? giving them armour doesn't change anything, if they want to make their presence known in a relay they would need a huge banner over their heads saying "Hey i'm here to help" otherwise how else would a new player even know what is going on, i've seen new players who don't even know that T is to use chat! and a GOTL won't help you unless you know that much not just that but new players tend to be alot more shy. If anything they probably need to make ordis do a tutorial to help new players out to know what a relay is and how to get to 1 (we did blow some of them up after all) then try to do something where ordis talks with a GOTL so to ease new players into talking with them, and from there a GOTL is pretty much text you don't even need any to make them visually different.

When someone asks for help I help them even in some missions that do not benefit me at all, and you will find out that players like me end up helping the new players alot more then what the GOTL do, we are the 1st to be asked and the last to be asked for help, while a GOTL sits ina  relay looking to private chat a new player that some how stumbled into a relay and probably doesn;t even know other players are in it.

Edited by LOTSL

1 minute ago, LOTSL said:

I think the whole guides of the lotus thing is unnecessary if you need help you ask in regional chat, the whole thing of new players A. knowing what a relay even is, B. knowing someone MAY or MAY NOT be there to help them in a relay.

this^

42 minutes ago, Vyra said:
8 minutes ago, LOTSL said:

All the times i've been in a relay i have like only seen the symbol maybe once? giving them armour doesn't change anything, if they want to make their presence known in a relay they would need a huge banner over their heads saying "Hey i'm here to help" otherwise how else would a new player even know what is going on, i've seen new players who don't even know that T is to use chat! and a GOTL won't help you unless you know that much not just that but new players tend to be alot more shy. If anything they probably need to make ordis do a tutorial to help new players out to know what a relay is and how to get to 1 (we did blow some of them up after all) then try to do something where ordis talks with a GOTL so to ease new players into talking with them, and from there a GOTL is pretty much text you don't even need any to make them visually different.

Too many people in Region think its funny to give outlandishly wrong information. Granted there are plenty of people willing to help, but no shortage of trolls. And if you do spend a lot of time in the relays, you should be well aware how often someone comes into Larunda and the first thing they ask is "What is this place?" or something to that effect. 

46 minutes ago, Vyra said:

pfft...
unfair... the other of us have to buy or grind for cosmetics ( buy for the armor that came with mag vault ) and they just get it for free...
so yeah and they get an even more awesome armor just for free...

they are mortals like anyone else.. why they need elite stuff?

P.S. For anyone who has kids its a no go to do such a thing... you don't buy your oldest kid a new jacked and let the younger kid get nothing att all that day... or vice versa.. the kid that gets nothing will always feel sad/left behind/angered 

You seem to be suffering from an extreme case of Entitlement here.

Oh and PS I am the youngest, just my parents brought me up not to be envious of people. Either they or their parents worked to get it.

Usually I am strongly against exclusive items (don't get me started on Tennocon Syandana). However, this case is very different. These people sacrifice their private time to fulfill an official (and therefore accountable), responsible role. They don't get anything out of it, do they? This is both, a suitable uniform and reward for their work, as simple as that.

I feel DE took the right step forward in the wrong way. GOTL need more street presence, So giving them stuff is good. But being a regular region and relay chat, I will say that most newbies towards whom this program is aimed at wouldn't understand a slither of whats going on. To them an armor is just some thing that looks really cool and all, Something they would like to own but nothing more.

In terms of presence PA accessories have a lot more presence than GOTL armor in relay. What DE should have done is put a image marker on top of GOTL that could be tooggled on/off by GOTL himself. In this way they could stand out in a huge crowd of people much easily than an armor which kinda just blends into for most warframes. This way when in relay its easier to find them.

Also give the GOTL a proper icon(also toggle able) beside there name in chat. As most newbies never go to relay more than once(to many newbies they see it as a waste of time). Instead most newbies come to region chat to discuss/ask about stuff.

This way nor people would be envious about armors and cosmetics, But also give much better presence than with the armor.

In a relay full of people decorated with cosmetics like x-mas trees not a single sigil/cosmetic will make GOTL stand out. Therefore it is pointless as it won't serve its purpose.

People would still ask for them in chat, not run around looking the them. Visuals don't work here at all.

Edited by SeaUrchins

2 hours ago, Roachester said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Legit question: Why do people treat exclusive items like they're some imaginary plague that needs to be purged? This is like that TennoCon thread all over again.

Because the people that have it tend to use it to gloat over the people that don't, which leads to a toxic community. See: Excalibur Prime

4 minutes ago, (PS4)DesecratedFlame said:

Because the people that have it tend to use it to gloat over the people that don't, which leads to a toxic community. See: Excalibur Prime

It seems to always be the inverse around here that I have seen. It's the have nots who get toxic, specially when it comes to Excalibur Prime

While I believe the GotL do deserve something to make them stand out with the time put into it, something exclusive like this isn't the answer. The purple text should be enough (but to differentiate actual [DE] from Guides.) What LOTSL has said is really on point with new players. They aren't going to know about Relays until MR3, while not hard to obtain, unlocks the Syndicate console in the ship and they start learning more about that. Those few MR will either make or break a new player just getting into the game. While some people like not having their hands held and want more of a learning experience, others want/need that information early so they can progress at a quicker pace. In most cases they don't, and honestly shouldn't, have to resort going to a wiki or any other forms outside the game in these early stages. This is where the Guides come in but then you still have the issue of, is a new player going to try and go to chat to find out or actually go to a wiki or other site for information.

Personally, I think there needs to be some type of early interaction, whether it's a tutorial screen explaining the Guides or a MR0-5 only channel that the Guides can patrol and answer any questions if the need arises. SharkPot has an excellent alternative to this, some type of over-head and chat emblem that shows you're a Guide and are wanting to help while also being toggle able for personal play time.

There just needs to be something better than an exclusive item given to a select few that most new players will never see. Just look at what happened with "Founders", it's a great example. I didn't pay to have an "exclusive" item, I wanted to support a game I enjoyed playing. I never knew it was going to be "exclusive". I personally think it should of been a "Prime Access" just like any other that came after it and should be available to all. This goes with Excalibur Umbra, it *was* going to be a "Founders exclusive" but yet they are releasing it globally.

I'm sorry if this sounds entitled, while that's not my meaning, I had to say this. Guides are great, don't get me wrong, but there just needs to be more of a "tutorial" if you will in the beginning to explain that there are Guides and they are willing to help. Having a special item (while a good reward for putting in your personal time) is the wrong way to go.

Just my two :platinum:

-Ghost-

43 minutes ago, Telluric said:

As a Guide who has been around for a little while, I can say that the armor, while very pretty, is more of a relief than a point of pride.

Some of my favourite Warframes, like Inaros and Equinox, display any and all sigils extremely poorly. It limited me to whom I could use to hang around the relay in. Now, most people usually see me with Limbo, but even when using other frames that I like, they had issues with displaying the sigil as well. You have to move and tweak it to be visible on Excalibur's Proto skin, it's almost impossible to use on Nyx Prime at all with the gold pieces covering her chest. 

Not to mention that the SotR update completely murdered the way sigils are displayed, and even though the GotL sigil has been tweaked, it's still often just a fancy black blotch on a Warframe's chest. It's disappointing.

However, with the addition of the armor, it's allowed me to use any Warframe I want when I go to the relays to stand around for hours and answer questions. It's visible on any Warframe, it stands out, and it catches people's attention. They ask me "What is that armor on your shoulders?" and I answer "It's called the Mantle of the Lotus; it identifies me as a player helper."

Most of the time, they just think that's cool. And it is.

I don't tell them "This is exclusive armor we get because we're Guides", because while you can boil it down to that, it's not why we got it. We were given the armor to be able to identify ourselves better with any Warframe that we choose. It's supposed to be eye-catching, and as I've seen already, it's working. People notice it. That gives me the opportunity to introduce myself to players I've never met, and let them know that I'm there to help them.

However, I think that it's even more important for the Junior Guides to have received this armor, because Senior Guides like us have the purple-coloured text in global chats; they do not. There have even been players who have harassed and bullied Junior Guides before, claiming that they weren't actually Guides. This armor gives those people something to look at, something to tell players "Yes, I am a Guide."

It's not to brag or boast about, and it's not meant to make people feel like they're missing out on a piece of digital cosmetic fashion.

This is our uniform. We wear it to show ourselves to people. We exist in this program to help others, and we want to make sure that people know who we are. If we get shoulder armor to help with that fact, then I will remove my Riv Elite shoulder guards and don what we've been given.

I wore the Mantle in a mission, and someone asked about it. I told them what it was, and their response was excited. They had never met a Guide before, and were happy to have been in a random pub squad with me. No one ever notices the sigil in missions, but the armor, again, is eye-catching. It gave me the opportunity to meet someone new, and that person happened to be someone who admired the Guides for what we do in the game.

It's not a gift, it's not a reward for our hard work. We do this because we want to help; we don't do this to gain anything outside of satisfaction.

This is our global identifier. This points us out, as Guides, to others. That is what it was created for; that is why we were given it.

yet you can't deny neither it is exclusive nor it is not a item gifted by DE while you don't represent or aren't affilated with DE yet you are given a 'uniform' by DE. You know very well your information/speech/opinion may not be 100% correct/updated yet DE promote guide as if to give a pre-assumption that your every speech is representing DE.
It is alright if DE wanna make you guys special but every guide should be expected to be accountable for pre-assumption that every speech made by a moderator automatically represent DE and their opinion are to be enforced on the support of warframe. 

TL;DR?
As long as every speech made is 100% true and only revolves around to promote warframe and we as normal player can hold DE to your words, we have no problem with DE making y'all special.

10 minutes ago, SilvaDreams said:

It seems to always be the inverse around here that I have seen. It's the have nots who get toxic, specially when it comes to Excalibur Prime

I have around 4 times as many posts as you.  I think it is safe to say that I spend more time around here, so I am just going to go ahead and let you know that you are wrong and move on.

3 hours ago, Aigloblam said:

Its essential for the Junior guides to be easily seen, or else they can't do their jobs.

What do you mean by essential? If you don't have a certain cosmetic something prevents you from pressing T and typing an answer for a new player? Can't do their job without a cosmetic, such nonsense.

Eh, not sure really. The sigil or whatever was enough. Now armour? What's next, a unique weapon skin, a fancy syandana or something? It wasn't really necessary.

If people wanted to get hold of GoTL's it's not hard to use chat or just find one standing still in a relay seemingly doing nothing, in a very obvious manner with a lotus sigil glaring off their chest. Don't particularly 'need' something to make them stand out even more, so it's a shabby justification in my eyes.

Edited by Naith

7 minutes ago, (PS4)DesecratedFlame said:

I have around 4 times as many posts as you.  I think it is safe to say that I spend more time around here, so I am just going to go ahead and let you know that you are wrong and move on.

Did you really just pull the whole "I'm higher MR then you so I know better" only on the forums?

8 hours ago, LazerSkink said:

So how do the rest of you feel about Guides of the Lotus receiving a second "exclusive" cosmetic?

Personally, I can't possibly care any less. 

After 3 years of playing this game, I've seen only one of those lazily chatting at Larunda. I would even forgot of their existence if not the forums.

Edited by Teloch

7 minutes ago, SilvaDreams said:

Did you really just pull the whole "I'm higher MR then you so I know better" only on the forums?

No, because mastery rank doesn't prove you know anything.  My post doesn't imply I am smarter or dumber than you either. It just shows that I am on here more often, so I see more of what is going on.

25 minutes ago, Nijyumensou said:

yet you can't deny neither it is exclusive nor it is not a item gifted by DE while you don't represent or aren't affilated with DE yet you are given a 'uniform' by DE. You know very well your information/speech/opinion may not be 100% correct/updated yet DE promote guide as if to give a pre-assumption that your every speech is representing DE.
It is alright if DE wanna make you guys special but every guide should be expected to be accountable for pre-assumption that every speech made by a moderator automatically represent DE and their opinion are to be enforced on the support of warframe. 

TL;DR?
As long as every speech made is 100% true and only revolves around to promote warframe and we as normal player can hold DE to your words, we have no problem with DE making y'all special.

The thing is not every person is 100% right always. Yes, I have seen junior guides goof up hard a lot of times as @-dicht.Amducias- has said, But at the same time they should have knowledge about what they are saying. And about your focus on pre-assumption, The thing is its assumption at the end of the day, and not cold hard facts. Even DE themselves have no clue 90% of time what they are going to do next.