Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

New player having trouble getting first warframe

Rustyribena

Question

1 minute ago, (PS4)Shaun-T-Wilson said:

I believe the problem is equiping upgraded mod rather than a different frames. As a properly modded frame is alot more effective than a unmodded one. Try upgrading the health and shield mods first as well as your primary weapon mods too.

This as well. It never hurts to ask friends or clanmates to see if they have duplicates of mods you may want or need.

4 minutes ago, Nocam said:

As I said, varying playstyles. I keep her more toward the back, with a Sybaris or a Tiberon. Or a bow. I play her as a Priestess. A healer.

Only problem with oberon is the mass amount of eximus kills you need compared to the boss kills

1 minute ago, Rustyribena said:

Only problem with oberon is the mass amount of eximus kills you need compared to the boss kills

I did say above that it takes a lot. Took me almost a hundred. But he's easier than trying to acquire Excalibur at lower levels.

You're a new player so you probably don't have access to enough mods of sufficient power for your Mag to yet be the powerhouse she can be.

Rhino will be fairly easy for you to acquire and doesn't require a lot of modding to stay powerful enough for more difficult missions. When I started 3 years ago, Rhino was my primary frame after Excalibur for several months; using him to farm and reach higher level missions to get what I needed.

Don't get rid of your Mag, she has a great deal of potential that you'll eventually be able to unlock.

When it comes to modding, it never hurts to do research and ask questions, plenty of warframes won't make good use of certain mods simply because of their low stats that would be modified. Almost all mods provide a percentage increase, so warframes with better values make better use of those mods.
Also, you don't need to necessarily max out all of the mods you have, keep a few duplicates of some at different ranks so you can mod things to certain levels that are more useful to you.

If you need a little help with a mission, you can almost always find someone willing to help in a relay or here on the forums, and if you're lucky maybe even in the in-game chat channels.

If you really would like some help and I happen to be in game, don't be afraid to PM me. If I'm not too busy I'll do what I can, whether it be information, advice, or a little mission help.
And don't be afraid to ask other veteran players for the same as well. :clem:

Edited by FLSH_BNG

If you have to choose between Rhino or Frost, definitely go for frost. He's one of the best allrounders there are. He can CC, he can Defend, he can Damage. He's quite tanky as well, definitely not like Rhino, but he can take quite a few punches before he is down. 

His 2 is amazing for crowd control with the augment, slowing everything that steps in it down for 12 seconds. If moded properly you wont have to worry about not being able to cast it. 

His 3 is godsent for defence missions, but it's a really good panic button as well since it repels any enemy near you and has a chance of freezing them. If , once cast, there a enemies within the bubble, you can burst it with his 1 for the same attack. 

His 4 is both for damage and cc, while his damage falls off on high levels, his cc is still good. 

Edited by aligatorno

44 minutes ago, Rustyribena said:

so ive started playing warframe and im having trouble trying to obtain a new warframe in that i feel the current warframe im using now (mag) is too underwhelming in order to obtain the stuff for better warframes

Mag is effective, but she requires some mod depth, which a new player isn't going to have. Don't give up on her, but...

Yeah, Rhino is your first option and should be obtained as quickly as possible. He's almost ideal for farming materials to build new warframes and weapons. He's a bit of a jack-of-all-trades since he can do a bit of everything, but here his utility is the ability to open the starchart and farm for resources. He's good at it and should be used in this manner.

Mag is going to require some corrupted and nightmare mods to get her moving in the right direction. This is something else Rhino can help with. Also, you just flat out need to farm for credits and endo. Again, Rhino is good for this.

Atlhough, Rhino is pretty decent as a solo 'frame, he also improves a lot with mod depth. Do group with others. Chances are you'll get veteran players leveling up equipment, warframes, or looking for resources. Keep close to them, watch what they do, and ask questions if you don't understand something that is going on. Other tenno can be a great resource if you make an effort in that direction.

Rhino's pretty straightforward, not too hard to learn, and strong enough to keep less experienced players alive in more difficult situations.

Just be mindful that he is a fair bit heavier than many other frames. And slower too. After playing with him a lot and then switching to a different frame, you'll be appreciative of the increased speed, but find yourself taking a lot more damage and needing to run away. It'll be at that point that it'll sink in that mobility is without a doubt, the best defense you can have; with armor and shields being a backup for it.

Play the game and let your style develop naturally, adapt to new scenarios, and experiment with new mods as you acquire them. Even after 200 hours, most players are only just scratching the surface of many of the games' mechanics and systems. There is plenty here to keep you engrossed and playing the game if it's something you like.

I've found that the best way to learn things in this game is to teach it to or learn alongside someone else. It also gives you a better insight into what the other person is good at and what they can do so you can trust them to keep things going while you go off to do your own thing in a mission from time to time like looting rooms, or hunting a special target, or even just keeping you alive and hidden for a bathroom break. :P

Welcom to warframe, tenno.

I suggest you to get Frost first as he's tanky but not like Rhino.

The thing with Rhino is that he's easy to get and easy to play, but he can get you in a habbit of thinking you're invinsible which is bad for the end game where Iron Skin can last only 5 seconds.

Oberon is also friendly for new players as he's more balanced in his role. He have a little of everything: offense, CC (Crowd Control), support and whatever. Oberon is easy to play but I less recommand him as he's thougher to get (his parts drop from eximus units which are rare in the early game). Try to get him just for the feel. The major problem Oberon has is that everything he can do, other frames can do better. Oberon is weak compared to most frames but good for new players who want to learn the game.

I recommand getting Frost as he's easy to get (Mars boss as for SotR update), easy to play and being more popular for squads. People like Frost on their team thanks to his 3rd ability Snow Globe which is probably the best defensive ability in the game. Frost also have a great CC which is important for the end game.

If you want, there is a list of some more popular frames:
Trinity - Drops from Ceres boss. Not the easiest to play but you can't get a better support than her.
Loki - Neptune boss. You don't see people looking for him very often but everyone love him. Not easy to play but amazing in the hands of an experianced player.
Excalibur - Pluto boss. People mostly looking for him because his ability to kill fast. Easy to play.
Ash - Drops from Manics. He's just good at killing, even too good... The catch with him is that he can get you in a habbit known as "Press 4 to win". This habbit is efficiant for the end game but you don't get any gameplay skills from it which is bad overwhole. Easy to play if you get into the "Press 4 to win", but he can do a lot more than that so don't let it fool you.
Valkyr - Jupiter boss. The same as Rhino but actually invinsible if you play her right and mod her right. She can also get you in the mood of "Press 4 to win".

1 hour ago, Rustyribena said:

so ive started playing warframe and im having trouble trying to obtain a new warframe in that i feel the current warframe im using now (mag) is too underwhelming in order to obtain the stuff for better warframes

Mag tends to be tricky to work with, no matter how she's modded. My starter was Excalibur, got the original Rhino second... after that, I just collected 'Frames as the opportunity arose. My go-to 'Frame, despite everyone else knocking her for one reason or another, is Valkyr, with Nova Prime a close second and everything else trailing behind.

If you're after a good second 'Frame... Rhino, Nezha (if you get lucky on Sorties), or Vauban would work wonders. Admittedly, I don't use my own Vauban very often, but, once you get your playstyle down with him, Vauban is just evil against enemies.

Rhino works best as a support tank (Roar and Stomp) buffing his allies and knocking enemies into the air. Iron Skin works best as an emergency cast ability seeing as, besides nullifying abilities (Dispel, Scrambus, Combas or Nullifiers) or falling into the abyss, everything else can be blocked by it.

2 hours ago, Rustyribena said:

hmmm that could be the problem

i kinda just stuck whatever looked interesting on

Make sure when you mod your Mag, to click the Abilities tab and see how your modding has affected it. Mag mostly benefits from Power Range and Strength. Some good general purpose mods would be Fast Deflection, Streamline, Stretch, and Intensify. Of course, don't forget your Vitality and Redirection.

I think Rhino would be the first Warframe you will come across as a new player. I think you get his parts from the boss on Fossa, Venus. Either that, or I'm pretty sure Oberon parts drop all over the place on Apollodorus, Mercury. I've got dozens of his parts that I don't even know where they come from anymore. He's lovingly been branded with the name 'Creditframe' because you literally end up getting so many you just sell them for credits.

On 9/21/2016 at 0:53 AM, Rustyribena said:

i kinda just stuck whatever looked interesting on

Indeed that is the problem. You will have to read up on what is good and bad for mag's abilities in the wiki.

Plus every warframe cannot reach full potential without applying orokin reactor on them, same goes for weapons without catalyst.

Playing blindly can only get you to a certain distance in this game.

Mag is more of crowd-control frame than damage dealer. So don't expect to make things die from her powers. If you have power range mods (like Stretch) then add that so you can use her first power. It's a cheap CC power with good range. It makes everyone in front of you stop firing because they're too busy flying through the air and getting back up on their feet.

What's more important: how are your weapons and mods? At this point in the game, you should at least add some levels to Redirection for your shield, and Serration for your primary weapon. Add elemental damage mods also and keep an eye which elemental the weapon ended up with. Corrosive is great against Grinner and Infested Ancients. Radiation or Viral is good against Corpus. Gas is good for standard Infested.

What weapons are you using? If you're still on MK-1 weapons, then yeah, you'll always need to be carried. You should've graduated to Braton or Karak by now, if you enjoyed assault rifles. Then make your way to Venus and farm Rhino parts. To defeat Jackal, shoot one of his legs until he fell over, then shoot his head or body. Repeat until he dies. Don't stand too close to him, his ground stomp and missiles are painful. Hide behind the pillars.

I'll just chime in here and say that [url=http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=410097029]my guide[/url] has an intro section explaining "without upgraded mods, affinity level 30 is still weak."

Until your gear is supercharged, you're not going to make it any higher than "mediocre".  When I was low mastery rank, a Karak with a catalyst and 2 forma was needed to get me through MOST of the solar system, so that probably makes about 70 points of mods on that gun.

If you are only using 30 or 40 mod points on a thing, that thing is not strong enough to be badass.

If you haven't read it (sadly I'm not famous, so it's highly likely that you didn't  *sigh*), I recommend checking my guide.  I know it's a lot to take in, but I have really tried to cover all the things you need to know as a new player.  I've just updated it, so I had to pull it from the forums while I figure out how to reformat it on this site...