Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

adblockers dont let me see this ?

Question

can somebody explain the technical stuff behind the gif ?

what does this gif carry that my adblocker doesnt like it ?

or what does this gif know from me ... (im not stupid, the firefoxadblocker acts on straight things pics carry as well as i wanna know it maybe from DE ? ) is it twitter ?

thx

https://s17.postimg.org/7dsajbof3/gif.jpg

Edited by Guest

18 answers to this question

20 minutes ago, textural_being said:

can somebody explain the technical stuff behind the gif ?

what does this gif carry that my adblocker doesnt like it ?

or what does this gif know from me ... (im not stupid, the firefoxadblocker acts on straight things pics carry as well as i wanna know it maybe from DE ? ) is it twitter ?

thx

https://s17.postimg.org/7dsajbof3/gif.jpg

This is a bait. 

Certain (dirty) websites will no allow you to view images/videos if they detect that you use ad blocker. Report such websites so they will get banned.

thx for all the different answers ^^)

i was able to see steves videos until this one

i will not turn adblocker off because of a few things:

1. as the last DDos happened on the warframe web here i have had a real creapy data on my comp i dont wanna face again

2. i dont care, i want clean presentations by DE or i avoid to watch them

3. i go only on trusted sites in the web, if some alarm is going on i clean my comp and dont return ever to the stuff which try to invade me

4. i know well that if NSA etc wants my data or check me that they are successful, im with them, they try to save the entire world from a strange enemy, and whatever they wanna know, they can

5. i dont wanna have any hackers or marketing genies on my neck, i also dont wanna share my data with whomever wanna get cash for, or information which creates cash

for that i use the common tools to protect me

ok, then, i have to wait until "the war within" appears at christmas 2017 XD

see you in a year, DE ...

Edited by Guest

7 hours ago, textural_being said:

1. as the last DDos happened on the warframe web here i have had a real creapy data on my comp i dont wanna face again

3. i go only on trusted sites in the web, if some alarm is going on i clean my comp and dont return ever to the stuff which try to invade me

4. i know well that if NSA etc wants my data or check me that they are successful, im with them, they try to save the entire world from a strange enemy, and whatever they wanna know, they can

5. i dont wanna have any hackers or marketing genies on my neck, i also dont wanna share my data with whomever wanna get cash for, or information which creates cash

dont forget your tinfoil hat.

21 hours ago, textural_being said:

... I... what?... DDos...

This post, what the I don't even.

I feel like maybe, the internet may be too much for you to handle...

PS, DDos and the NSA cannot be stopped by Ad blocker... lol... I hope you were wearing the brown pants today...

Edited by Carnage2K4

@textural_being Since this blocked element is "interactive", it's not a gif, it's a video player. Probably in HTML5.

If your adblocker blocked it, it's probably because of a zealous rule supposed to prevent videos to autoplay when you browse on the internet. (since many ads like this way of operating). Most of the time, it's efficient and reduces loading times, but as you see it, it can also block relevant content.

Also, it can be a rule preventing twitter to load their player as they want/need (they could need to install a cookie to know how to display the video, or what kind of device saw their video). For that they need to know the platform you're on (PC, phone, mac, linux, tablet), what are the dimensions of your screen, for example. If they can't get these informations (because your adblocker forbid your browser to deliver such data), twitter just won't launch their videos, since their server don't know how to proceed to display it, and they can't exploit data for their strategies.

I don't see how this problem can be related to warframe DDoS. Twitter is a totally different company, they are affected in no way by warframe.com issues.

The "problem" either comes from your adblocker (you have to access the logs of the blocked elements to see which rule is causing the problem, and disable this rule on twitter), or twitter strategy (they can detect your adblocker and don't want to deliver their content. You have to find a better blocking rules list or a smarter adblocker). I have an adblocker and trackersblocker, and can view this video, like others above, so it's probably the first reason.

Alternatively, you can also open this page into another browser that you never use, and clear your browsing data after having seen the video (or open this page in "incognito mode"). If you never use said browser, it has no cookie stored, no history, no bookmarks, well, nothing that can be grabbed by companies to know your habits.

From what I can tell, Steve posted here just a preview of his work, there is nothing dangerous/fishy. If you read twitter privacy policy, if their video player is collecting infos, it will be as I said: your screen size, operating system, browser type and version, and the page on which you are viewing their videos. All of this is for their content to be delivered properly. They won't collect identifiable personal data (especially if you're not logged in twitter). If you don't want them to remember those infos (usually it's for loading the content faster the next time), you can open the page in incognito mode, or clear your browser cache and twitter cookies after viewing the content.

Also, if you want to protect yourself, it's not an adblocker/trackingblocker that'll do the best job. It's rather a combination of the previous, +VPN, Tor, or being a freaking hacker/nerd who knows even better things.

But the best protection... With 100% privacy... is...

Just don't use the Internet. \o/

I hope that this answers to your concerns.

You never know what lurks into the Void, Tenno...

If you use Chrome, use the uBlock Origin extension. 11/10 would block again.

To address your concerns, one by one:

On 10/13/2016 at 3:31 PM, textural_being said:

Adblockers will not stop or thwart DDoS attacks. DDoS attacks do not place data on your PC; they stand for "Distributed Denial of Service". DDoS attacks deny you service from a website because they attack the website (not your PC) by sending countless fake packets to tie up the server. That "Creepy Data" would not have come from Warframe.com, and it wouldn't have come from a DDoS attack. That data got there by some other means (i.e. a different website you browse).

The Official Warframe Youtube channel would be where you should go then. Or their Twitch Channel when they're broadcasting a livestream. Alternatively, you can read official forum posts from them. Adblockers should not be preventing you from accessing any of these services or pages (and if they are, the adblocker may be defective or have had pages flagged incorrectly). I highly recommend using uBlock Origin if you use Google Chrome as a web browser.

Certainly a good practice, but there are other steps you can take that makes such things easier (i.e. Malware-Bytes has great active malware blocking). 

Not really sure what you're saying here. If the NSA wants someone's data, an adblocker isn't going to stop them. Though it would be more prudent to try and secure your PC from all outside attackers, whether it's the NSA or not (if the NSA can get into your PC, then China/Russia/Etc probably can too).

If you really want to protect your data and information (and PC), I highly recommend using a mixture of Malware-blocking (Malware-Bytes), Firewall (Hardware based as part of a router on your network, or software like ZoneAlarm), and VPN (Virtual Private Network) software that encrypts/masks/anonymizes your internet traffic on your PC (I recommend Private Internet Access, it's the VPN I use).