Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How can we make mastery rank of greater use?

Phyrak

4 hours ago, Phyrak said:

Perhaps passives based on master rank?

Thats basically the opposite of what i said XD

You shouldnt tie anything to mastery that effects core gameplay.

What they should continue to do is offer increased caps on capped gains like how they currently do in syndicate daily affinity, Void traces, Tenno school affinity, extractor placement, ect.

26 minutes ago, chaotea said:

Im MR22, going on 23, and tbh, i dont feel i need anything else, other than the gaining of an extra mod point on my forma'd loadouts.

Actually find myself agreeing here , because I've never actually cared about mastery ranks at all. Just found myself top side because i am ocd about having every single weapon at max rank.

The tests are silly and most are just annoying repeats nothing unique about it. The current benefits have never bothered me but again heavy spender and player.....

Every Mastery rank should have significant meaning to them.

Mastery 21 test - could of been : One V One against Teshin 3 rounds.

Modifiers included - no practice , Melee only

Difficulty - Nightmare

Reward - Teshins duel Nikana Blueprint , Sigil of Honor 

But nope.... same old repeats.... this is how i would do them and each rank is unique with rewards matching the challenge.

Stealthy challenges like hit all 6 orb deal without getting detected. could of been a way to reward players. With the silencer mods and a unique sniper rifle that allows you to choose up to 8 targets then fire 8 homing shots.

A speed run challenge where you must get inside the vault before the time runs out. Where lasers remove time from you while enemies do their best to kill you.

Could reward a unique Exlius mod  that is called something like well  trained, increasing your movements , hang time and casting speeds across the board.

Etc Etc Etc

Edited by (PS4)Mofojokers

1 hour ago, (PS4)Mofojokers said:

Modifiers included - no practice , Melee only

Difficulty - Nightmare

Reward - Teshins duel Nikana Blueprint , Sigil of Honor 

TWW Spoilers:

Spoiler

Teshin's a total chump.

Edited by Gelkor

18 hours ago, (PS4)Mofojokers said:

The tests are silly and most are just annoying repeats nothing unique about it. The current benefits have never bothered me but again heavy spender and player.....

I enjoy the tests as they are special little missions that break up the usual monotony.

18 hours ago, (PS4)Mofojokers said:

It couldnt have, as mastery 21 was around long before TWW was released.

1 hour ago, chaotea said:

I enjoy the tests as they are special little missions that break up the usual monotony.

It couldnt have, as mastery 21 was around long before TWW was released.

Haven't even had a chance to play TWW yet but Teshin was around before TWW. ?

Not sure why everyone keeps calling him a whimp.... lol 

Anyway just an idea of how they could be special and not long regular missions. Or if they go with regular mission styles how the rewards could make it special. ?

6 hours ago, (PS4)Mofojokers said:

Haven't even had a chance to play TWW yet but Teshin was around before TWW. ?

Not sure why everyone keeps calling him a whimp.... lol 

Anyway just an idea of how they could be special and not long regular missions. Or if they go with regular mission styles how the rewards could make it special. ?

Play TWW as soon as you can. All your Teshin questions will be relieved.

As for MR tests. A short to-the-point test of skill is the point of it, not a long mission.

4 minutes ago, chaotea said:

Play TWW as soon as you can. All your Teshin questions will be relieved.

As for MR tests. A short to-the-point test of skill is the point of it, not a long mission.

I intend to once it is released for consoles... ?

I'm guessing as a Teshin fan I'm not going to like the outcome.

18 minutes ago, chaotea said:

MR is a sign of progression, not player skill. It shows other players how much of the game you've experienced.

>how much of the game you've experienced

Yeah, no.

I can make a new account and grab all the weps, get to MR22 (or 23 now, not sure) with probably less than 300 hours. Also I said nothing about skill? But sure?

On 11/29/2016 at 9:27 AM, Zhoyzu said:

No, people are already hurt enough as is about what mastery currently does. Honestly it does enough. Mastery is just a metric of how many items you have used and maxed out. Thats it, nothing more. People keep getting upset because they think its tied to skill which its not. If anything its also a metric of how much time you put into the game.

Those that grind mastery are either completionists, people looking for something to do, or are intrinsically driven to just get mastery.

System is fine as is and id hate to see the S#&$ storm arising from mastery ranks locking more people out of stuff. Game is grindy enough, please dont add anymore grind layers that dont need to exist.

Well it is tied somewhat to skill, after all there are tests.  But in that sense, it's tied mostly to personal twitch skill.

Confusion arises because it's not tied to the skill of being a team player, which is also a learnable skill, and a necessary skill for high level play in the game.

It's also not tied to the skills of getting to know particular frames and weapons really well, which are also necessary skills for high level play in the game.

The result is you can get high MR players who demonstrably have the requisite twitch abilities, which after all does count for something - but who at the same time have no idea how to play well in a team, or how to play their frame or weapon properly.

2 minutes ago, Omnimorph said:

The result is you can get high MR players who demonstrably have the requisite twitch abilities, which after all does count for something - but who at the same time have no idea how to play well in a team, or how to play their frame or weapon properly.

Most of the tests can be passed even if you have terrible twitch skills, just by using the appropriate frame and a cheese strategy.

Although that does at least demonstrate some knowledge of that frame's abilities.

3 minutes ago, Omnimorph said:

Well it is tied somewhat to skill, after all there are tests.  But in that sense, it's tied mostly to personal twitch skill.

Confusion arises because it's not tied to the skill of being a team player, which is also a learnable skill, and a necessary skill for high level play in the game.

It's also not tied to the skills of getting to know particular frames and weapons really well, which are also necessary skills for high level play in the game.

Let me assure you that reaching rank 22 has very little to do with twitch skill.  Passing the difficult MR tests is about picking the right strategy with the right frame or weapons to make it as easy as possible.  This is also how players should approach the most difficult content in the game.

There really is no metric to determine player skill in this game.  If someone has an idea I'd like to hear it, but it's probably flawed.  At least players with high mastery rank have explored more aspects of the game, from frames and weapons to Archwing and trading with other players.

DE are constantly closing off loopholes for cheesing strategies for the MR tests.  As someone who's been playing for 2 and a bit years but have only gotten to MR10 (and am only moving up the MR ranks now because I want to try the newer MR locked weapons), I've noticed lots of differences between early "how to" vids and the more recent ones.

One example that struck me was the stealth test (I think it was MR8), which used to be possible to cheese with a stealth frame, now you have to do it by crouching and avoiding.  It can still be cheesed a bit with a Glaive or Kestrel, but it's clear that DE were well aware of how easy it was at one time, and closed that option off.

And speaking as an older player with reflexes shot from a life of degeneracy and dissipation, I can tell you that some of these things do have to be practiced, and can be failed many times before you get them.  I'm also hit and miss with things like Spy missions and the platforming nonsense in places like Lua.  I'm also one of those players who'll regularly bullet bump into the sides of Void doors :)

Edited by Omnimorph

1 hour ago, Omnimorph said:

One example that struck me was the stealth test (I think it was MR8), which used to be possible to cheese with a stealth frame, now you have to do it by crouching and avoiding.  It can still be cheesed a bit with a Glaive or Kestrel, but it's clear that DE were well aware of how easy it was at one time, and closed that option off.

The stealth test is MR9, and the Redeemer is currently the easiest way to complete it as the charged shotgun attack is completely silent and can take out enemies from across the map.

I dislike jumping/platforming puzzles too, and will always look for an alternative route to complete them, Titania could be fun for those.

Whether you consider it cheesing or not, there are usually one or two frames that are clearly better at completing any given test than all the other frames.