Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Mastery Rank 20 test impossible.

1up20xdey6

I'm qualified to apply for Mastery Rank 20, but because of the new Archwing movement system, I find this nearly impossible. This is the equivalent to Superman 64; hard controls while flying through rings with very little time to complete. I'd personally like to see a change for this test if possible.

Just now, PoisonHD said:

It's called a mastery test for a reason. You have to learn the controls well in order to complete it >.>

I understand that, but even so it shouldn't be this impossible. Again it's like playing Superman 64 (least that's what it reminds me of) with the old movement system it would've been fine, but here it's just not possible.

2 minutes ago, 1up20xdey6 said:

I understand that, but even so it shouldn't be this impossible. Again it's like playing Superman 64 (least that's what it reminds me of) with the old movement system it would've been fine, but here it's just not possible.

It's not impossible. I haven't touched archwing in months and I redid it the day after a failed pass and got through it. Is this your first time trying it and not getting it? Too soon to complain if that's the case.

Practice at Cephalon Simaris - Itzal and energy restores should do it, though one false move and you'll miss the end thanks to the new movement system with its crazy strange rotation. I had problems with it for the same reason - it's either an easy win or an awkward mess of embarrassment. It is indeed possible, it's just not much fun.

Just build Itzal, stick Hyperion Thrusters on it (no need to max, rank 6-8 will suffice) and the test becomes utterly trivial.

I just re-did it with the gear I just mentioned ignoring most of the rings and making mistakes and still finished with time to spare. 

You don't even need to use any abilities - just hit the afterburners and try to hit at least one or two rings.

Spoiler

Edited by Reifnir

5 minutes ago, dstrawberrygirl said:

Practice at Cephalon Simaris - Itzal and energy restores should do it, though one false move and you'll miss the end thanks to the new movement system with its crazy strange rotation. I had problems with it for the same reason - it's either an easy win or an awkward mess of embarrassment. It is indeed possible, it's just not much fun.

Exactly what I'm talking about. Even with Itzal (which mine is only Rank 6) it's still near to impossible to complete.

1 minute ago, 1up20xdey6 said:

Even with Itzal (which mine is only Rank 6) it's still near to impossible to complete.

Discard all other mods, leave only Hyperion Thrusters and you're good to go. Itzal is THAT fast on afterburners.

See vid above, anyway. 

Edited by Reifnir

You need to practice AW in general, go to a low level mission and just play around with the controls.  There really is an intuitiveness to the system that most seem unable to grasp.  It is vastly different from the old system yes but with practice you may be surprised at how easy it suddenly is.

First, the camera doesn't follow your view point, that is key, you can literally fly backwards while looking forward or sideways or in circles, moving the mouse no longer moves you.

Second, there is unfortunately no way to control up/down while 'sprinting' so getting used to toggling that on off is very key to keeping momentum and mobility.  Toggle off to use space to go up, toggle on to go forward quickly, it requires fast reflexes to maintain a steady movement while keeping directional control.

Third, don't try to move in AW the way you used to, it will definitely mess up your mind and how you think movement works.  Also don't approach it as just another warframe without a ground below you, space is very topsy turvy to say the least.

I enjoy AW very much and although there are some definite kinks to work out it is quite doable if one perseveres and strives to be good at it.  Of course, it isn't going to be for everyone, granted, but even the most avid of AW abhorrists should be able to be good enough to get by with a little practice.

1 minute ago, Xekrin said:

You need to practice AW in general, go to a low level mission and just play around with the controls.  There really is an intuitiveness to the system that most seem unable to grasp.  It is vastly different from the old system yes but with practice you may be surprised at how easy it suddenly is.

First, the camera doesn't follow your view point, that is key, you can literally fly backwards while looking forward or sideways or in circles, moving the mouse no longer moves you.

Second, there is unfortunately no way to control up/down while 'sprinting' so getting used to toggling that on off is very key to keeping momentum and mobility.  Toggle off to use space to go up, toggle on to go forward quickly, it requires fast reflexes to maintain a steady movement while keeping directional control.

Third, don't try to move in AW the way you used to, it will definitely mess up your mind and how you think movement works.  Also don't approach it as just another warframe without a ground below you, space is very topsy turvy to say the least.

I enjoy AW very much and although there are some definite kinks to work out it is quite doable if one perseveres and strives to be good at it.  Of course, it isn't going to be for everyone, granted, but even the most avid of AW abhorrists should be able to be good enough to get by with a little practice.

This is actually some good ways of thinking it. I've been playing since Archwing was relatively new (during the last stretches of Eyes of Blight) and I've gotten very use to the old system and the new one really messed me up. Yet on the Uranus tilesets it's still the same.

4 minutes ago, Reifnir said:

Discard all other mods, leave only Hyperion Thrusters and you're good to go. Itzal is THAT fast on afterburners.

See vid above, anyway. 

I would if I had the mod. I don't really play Archwing all that much considering the game barely utilizes it.

You don't even need blink.

I even advice against it since you'll spend at least a second using the energy restore, and that's valuable time.

What I did in the video posted above was fly forward, then hit space (afterburners). This alone coupled with Itzal's naturally high speed and the boost from Hyperion Thrusters is enough to make performing a mad dash for the finish line a viable approach. 

1 hour ago, Reifnir said:

According to https://warframe.market/, this mod costs a whooping of 8 plat with sellers online this very moment.

If you dislike playing Archwing, consider buying it just to get it over with.

It's not like I dislike playing Archwing, it's more like a feature in the game that has little to no impact in the rest of the game. Plus leveling things in Archwing is a lot slower compared to leveling things up on land.

2 minutes ago, 1up20xdey6 said:

Plus leveling things in Archwing is a lot slower compared to leveling things up on land.

Actually, now that Archwing Mobile Defense is a thing leveling speed is quite comparable. 

When DE decided to cripple the Archwing Interceptions by not introducing increased Affinity sharing range for Archwings (thus making it pointless if you wanted to level anything) it was a royal pain in the backside to level anything wing-related, but since in MD missions the group sits tightly around the satellite, this does not pose a problem. I leveled Amesha from Unranked to 28 in just several quick Mobile Defense runs on (i think) Neptune, so you might want to give it a try if at some point you decide you need to level some AW gear. 

• 2 months later...

Well, the best way is to only bother with the rings that are on the way and not moving, use Hyperion Thrusters (I think, the mod that boosts your sprint), and just rush straight. Keep your 1 for the end of the run.

Don't even try to reach the rings too far from the trajectory.

This thread is from November 2016. I'm sure OP passed it by now.

And for this test you don't have to own Itzal, dunno why people keep recommending that like it's the only viable choice. It's quite doable with the starter Odonata.
You'll achieve the test way sooner with it then spend time trying to research and craft Itzal. (for those who choose to avoid AW altogether and never invest time in its content)

Those who have a problem here either don't know about the boost function or think that you must fly through all the rings.

Edited by MystMan